Topic: low sound volume in comparison to other applications?

When I play along to a backing track on youtube, I need to lower the youtube volume drastically to hear the pianoteq output - and then obviously adjust the master volume output on my audio interface.

why is that?
no matter whether it is online radio, tv, youtube - everything is much louder in volume than pianoteq

volume output in pianoteq is at 0db, which is the default maximum output i think.

any idea?

Re: low sound volume in comparison to other applications?

Hmmm....

Good point.  I have wondered about this for years, but just accepted it.

On my Windows Surface, with both Pianoteq and Windows media sources (like YouTube, etc.) playing through the same Steinberg UR 22 mk II, I have the Windows master volume at 50%, and Pianoteq at 0 (or actually now, I have it bumped to +2 dB).  As you have no doubt learned, Windows Master Volume does not affect Pianoteq volume.

Let's see what others can explain as to this quandary.

- David

Yeah! I've noticed Keyscape is much louder in comparison to Pianoteq and my Kontakt libraries, and I haven't been able to figure out why. I don't know much about mixing beyond what I've seen in a few Youtube tutorials and figured out through experimentation. Mostly curious to see the responses here.

If you have Windows, can you right-click on the volume icon, then select "Open volume mixer". (similar but diff I'm sure for each OS)

Then you should see what levels are set for different system things, including your external or Pianoteq soundcard audio.

If that is raised to max there are still other things to try below - but if not, it may be the one setting you never think to find.

I have my external audio at 98 (seems it was that way by default - happy, so left it). Seems OK - and I tend most volume aspects on the outboard hardware knobs.

Pianoteq has in years past, seemed a tiny bit too loud to me, then a little quiet, but now seems a good sensible level (when I know things are set similarly in that Win audio mixer). No plugin should sound way loud compared to others, and users hear 'too quiet' as lacking quality etc.. but I think if our settings are OK, Pianoteq now seems to output safe yet high levels within a very pro-happy-making range.

Also - turn off any PC or OS installed "wide FX" kind of extras.. that may be achieved while checking your audio like above.. but if you open that mixer, then left-click the icon for your device on the mixer's top row.. that will open settings for the device where you can "tab" to various settings from volume and turning on/off whatever junk and good stuff your system has installed.

On "Enhancements" tab for example, I have check-boxes for "low freq protection" "virtual surround" "room correction" "loudness EQ" - any of those could make Pianoteq or other plugins sound wrong wrong wrong.

On a "Spatial" tab there's a selection of "Windows sonic for headphones" - honestly.. probably OK for watching movies?? but these kinds of things switched to ON can make music tools sound very weird and wrong.

Good luck - hope that's just the thing!

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Yes, Qexl, but for whatever reason, Pianoteq doesn't appear as a discrete application in my Windows 11 Volume Mixer.

Oh, well.  It all works for me, but I'm at the upper end of my preamp/external sound card to accommodate Pianoteq, and then have 'system sound' turned to 50% to Volume-match everything else (as everything else responds to system sound, but Pianoteq does not.).

- David

it seems to be fixed for me now:

i had to reassign the volume control on my midi keyboard to the master volume in pianoteq - and now the max volume on the keyboard is in sync with the max volume in pianoteq (+12db).

before, it maxed out at 0db

Good to hear weightedKeys!

@David, I think the discrete item to tweak should show up as the audio unit not Pianoteq. Mine says "main device" and shows a generic looking icon with 'audio leads', then lists 'Main Out 1/2'  - hope that's a help.

Keep posting though! - someone might think of another thing to try if that fails. Definitely don't think we should need to push pre amps too much. Pianoteq seems about perfect to me for volume (based on all the plugins etc. over the years).

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

weightedKeys wrote:

it seems to be fixed for me now:

i had to reassign the volume control on my midi keyboard to the master volume in pianoteq - and now the max volume on the keyboard is in sync with the max volume in pianoteq (+12db).

before, it maxed out at 0db

So does it mean that without any master volume MIDI thing pianoteq sets volume too low?

dv wrote:

So does it mean that without any master volume MIDI thing pianoteq sets volume too low?

yes, i personally think the default volume in Pianoteq is too low.

I've noticed that my midi input from my keyboard is way low in volume. But! When I load a midi file and play it back through PianoTeq the volume is much better and in line with what it feels like it should be. I have set a velocity curve and when I play my keyboard it is registering in the upper part of the curve at 100-127 on FFF notes. The midi playblack seems to register in the same range on the velocity curve. I have to turn the PianoTeq volume up to 7+ db and my Presonus audio interface volume up to 90% or more to make it sound as loud as when I play back a midi track at 0 db and 70% respectively.

Beyond what's suggested above and here re velocity curve, I'd think the best thing would be to post comparison files so we can hear the difference.. even if you record speakers with a mic.

Pretty interesting to see this - just not experiencing that phenom on my sys. A few years back I suggested volume increas a fraction which I feel was delivered over time. But.. seems like you guys are talking about something more than a small jump?

For me, Pianoteq is equally loud when playing, or playing back the recorded MIDI and definitely seems one of the better default volume adjusted VSTIs I use. My audio unit is not pushed to make it loud in any situation (volume knobs sit at 10 o'clock for comfortable listening - I'd only turn up for critical detail).

I just wonder, if it's working OK for me (presuming others), but not OK volume-wise for a few, is it something other than Pianoteq?

If you think there are no missing volume settings in the PC/OS, maybe I'd next suggest try making your velocity curves a little brighter, it may better match outside made MIDI files.

(a lot of publicly available MIDI files do sound way loud - various reasons including being produced on nice piano to MIDI systems, performers of high quality playing with a 'grand performance', compared to a laid back performance style.. and they may often use different velocity curves matching their piano/dpianos when recording.. not all that data will make them sound perfect and many do sound loud and may need tweaking to sound better to us, no matter the VSTI we play them with. Also plenty of poorly made MIDI files which just have 100% too much velocity on every note and it adds up.).

I just know on my sys, volumes are good.. it seems a system specific problem to me - but post files and it may give some idea what you hear and more likely lead to a solution.

If you're comparing Pianoteq's overall loudness to YouTube, Radio, TV, etc., then yes, Pianoteq will be much quieter on average. That's actually as it should be, since the dynamics in 99+% of recordings out there today are heavily compressed. If you want to replicate this in Pianoteq, just adjust the "Dynamics" slider significantly to the left...say around 10 dB or an even lower number. Not good for realism, but good for matching most non-classical recordings of piano.