Topic: Monophonic couplers saved in combination?

It's convenient that Organteq saves the state of the coupler pedals and tremulant switches with the combination when it is set or saved, in addition to the state of the stops.

The Organteq manual states:

The stop switches, couplers pedals and tremulant switches manipulation can be fastidious and break the live performance workflow.

For that reason, and if there is no good reason not to do so, it might be nice if the current state of the monophonic couplers were also saved with the combination when it is captured (using the Set button or right (or shift) click-->Snapshot)

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (09-10-2023 18:25)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Re: Monophonic couplers saved in combination?

It already does that I believe (at least in a way).  The difference is that there is a third mode in the combination settings called "none" which simply ignores that settable parameter entirely both when applying and learning the combination.  It appears that OTQ2 will automatically ignore toggling a "none" parameter when setting a new combination setting (which makes sense--at least to a point).  Whether or not ignoring a "none" parameter when using the set button is a bug, a feature that should be added, a preference that should be added, or something best left alone appears to be an open debate--that in the end only Modartt can answer.  My vote would be for a fourth parameter which would act as a "soft ignore" or some kind, being none but reverting to on or off when setting a new combination.

That said, if you're setting combinations, simply edit the parameter to be either "on" or "off" instead of "none" in the "Combination" tab of the organ settings and it should capture/change them correctly moving forward.  The downside is that you have to change that for all ten combinations on each organ.  However, you can shift-click to select all monophonic couplers and the selection is remembered when clicking another combination setting in that window.  The plus side is that you can use it to have combinations that won't overwrite parameters--for example, if you want manual control of all tremulants and the Vox Humana regardless of which combination you're using, you can set them to none and they won't turn on or off based on your combination changes.

There is a possible bug in that there is technically a fourth parameter I've encountered in some presets which can change around randomly.  For example, when opening Baroque Church 1-4 today, the Grand Orgue 16' Quint, 2 2/3' Quint, Mixture IV, Zimbel, and Trommet all had blank settings instead of either on, off, or none.  I don't know how exactly those blanks behave but they seem to usually be acting like an "off" parameter (and I couldn't tell if it's a UI issue, a combination issue, or a preset issue--I just know I'm running Windows), but once you click on those stops, it will only cycle through the correct three options.  Also, when switching combinations in the combination window, these blanks stayed around but sometimes affected different stops.  When changing their values away from blank, the preset didn't say it needed to be saved, so I'm not entirely sure what's happening there or why.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

tmyoung wrote:

It already does that I believe (at least in a way). ...  if you're setting combinations, simply edit the parameter to be either "on" or "off" instead of "none" in the "Combination" tab of the organ settings and it should capture/change them correctly moving forward.

In my copy of Organteq 2.0.0 for Linux, making or changing the settings directly in Settings-->Combination does save the state of the monophonic couplers (as well stops, pedal couplers, tremolo).

But if one saves a combination in Organteq's main window using the Set button or right-click--Snapshot (or shift-click-->Snapshot), the current state of the monophonic couplers is not saved (as a quick check of Settings-->Combination-->(that particular combination number) confirms, even if none of the monophonic couplers are set to "none" in Settings-->Combination.

And if one carefully sets or changes a combination in the Settings-->Combination window, and those settings include any of the monophonic coupler switches, the state of those monophonic coupler switches reverts to "off" if one later saves the Combination in Organteq's main window rather than in the Settings-->Combination window.

So it seems that Organteq saves the state of stops, tremulant switches, and pedal couplers whether one makes and saves those combination settings in the Settings-->Combination window or in Organteq's main window, but fails to include the current state of the monophonic couplers when the combination is saved in the main Window instead of in Settings-->Combination, and instead the monophonic couplers state reverts to "off."

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (09-10-2023 22:07)
--

Interesting!  That's a totally different behavior than I've seen on Windows.  Sounds like it could be a bug.  I've still got 2.0.0 as well.  The changelog for 2.0.1 has line about "Fix couplers buttons not clicked in coupler settings window"

So it's possible that this is somehow a downstream issue of that.  I'll try 2.0.1 and see if there are any changes to the blank problem I've been having.  If you could check 2.0.1 on Linux and see if you're still having this same behavior, I'm sure Modartt would appreciate knowing if it's still an issue.

Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

tmyoung wrote:

Interesting!  That's a totally different behavior than I've seen on Windows.  Sounds like it could be a bug.  I've still got 2.0.0 as well.  The changelog for 2.0.1 has line about "Fix couplers buttons not clicked in coupler settings window"

So it's possible that this is somehow a downstream issue of that.  I'll try 2.0.1 and see if there are any changes to the blank problem I've been having.  If you could check 2.0.1 on Linux and see if you're still having this same behavior, I'm sure Modartt would appreciate knowing if it's still an issue.

I can also confirm the behavior described by @Stephen_Doonan for Windows version 2.0.1.

In my opinion, Modartt has not yet thought through the programming of the combination logic in all the details.

On the factory prests, the monophonic couplers in the combinations are set to "none". This also makes sense, especially if you only play the organ with "One simple keyboard" (also factory default) and want to try out the combinations. This way you can listen to all the manuals and the pedal without having to change the presets.

Following this logic, the "none" status should be retained for the monophonic couplers when saving the combinations (regardless of whether using the set button or the snapshot function). Unfortunately, this is not the case; instead, the status is generally set to "off" for these 4 couplers.
In my opinion this is a logical error!
However, if a defined status is to be set, then it would have to correspond to the current setting of the organ, i.e. "off" or "on" (and not generally "off")

My suggestion would be that the position of the monophonic couplers should not be overwritten when saving the combinations (via the "Set button") as long as the corresponding switches on the Combination tab are set to "none".
However, if the setting has already been defined at this point (i.e. is "on" or "off"), then the current status of the coupler should be adopted when saving.

Alternatively, Modartt could implement an option in the preferences so that the user can decide whether to include the monophonic couplers when saving combinations. If "yes", then it can only be "off" or "on", if "no", then "none" is set - but not "off"!

tmyoung wrote:

There is a possible bug in that there is technically a fourth parameter I've encountered in some presets which can change around randomly.  For example, when opening Baroque Church 1-4 today, the Grand Orgue 16' Quint, 2 2/3' Quint, Mixture IV, Zimbel, and Trommet all had blank settings instead of either on, off, or none.  I don't know how exactly those blanks behave but they seem to usually be acting like an "off" parameter (and I couldn't tell if it's a UI issue, a combination issue, or a preset issue--I just know I'm running Windows), but once you click on those stops, it will only cycle through the correct three options.  Also, when switching combinations in the combination window, these blanks stayed around but sometimes affected different stops.  When changing their values away from blank, the preset didn't say it needed to be saved, so I'm not entirely sure what's happening there or why.

This behavior is reproducible. However, it doesn't necessarily have to be a bug in the software; incorrect values could also be stored in the presets.
I also see the problem as uncritical since the empty fields obviously correspond to the "off" state.

Hi,

Thank you all for your feedbacks and inputs on the monophonic couplers behaviour during the combination snapshot.

The version 2.0.2, now online, fixes that : the monophonic couplers are now added to the snapshot action, and will take either the 'On' or 'Off' state.

Regarding the general questions/suggestions/discussions on a 'Set to None' option during a combination snapshot, a lot of nice ideas and suggestions have emerged here and in the other related thread. We have taken due note of these, and will have them in mind for possible later updates.

Gzavié wrote:

The version 2.0.2, now online, fixes that : the monophonic couplers are now added to the snapshot action, and will take either the 'On' or 'Off' state.

Thank you!

--

Gzavié wrote:

Hi,

Thank you all for your feedbacks and inputs on the monophonic couplers behaviour during the combination snapshot.

Regarding the general questions/suggestions/discussions on a 'Set to None' option during a combination snapshot, a lot of nice ideas and suggestions have emerged here and in the other related thread. We have taken due note of these, and will have them in mind for possible later updates.

Here's the link: https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=10935

Casio GP300

I think it's great that not only OTQ 2 is out, but it's still getting immediate and active attention from the devs!

Casio GP300