Re: Great Pianoteq 7.5 update available

Since we have released version 7.5, Piet de Ridder has kindly updated his demos, they all sound more beautiful than ever:

Room 251 (NY Steinway D)
Stiffy Bing (NY Steinway D)
Taxi For B (Steinway B)
Mistral Blues (Petrof 284 Mistral)
Romance In Petrovia (Petrof 284 Mistral)
The Town Elders Of Petrovia (Ant. Petrof)
Berliner Jam (C. Bechstein DG)
Kites (C. Bechstein DG)
Le Clan Des Clavicordes (Cimbalom & Neupert Clavichord)

Thank you Piet!

wow! they sound incredible good!

sadhö wrote:

wow! they sound incredible good!

Indeed. Just wonderful.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

All the demos are very beautiful.
Modartt and Piet de Ridder: A perfect marriage!

Respeito, Esforço e Sabedoria

Nice job Piet on all ... especially like the Le Clan Des Clavicordes (Cimbalom & Neupert Clavichord).  What a wonderful musical backdrop it would be for a movie scene.

Kudos,

Lanny

Interesting...

Weeks ago I was about to suggest Modartt to from now on to request that all mp3 demos from friends/collaborators would be sent with piano tracks separated from the mix, and al do the ftp fxp file the piano model, plus reverse or other effects from other softwares, making easy to render a new piano track after an new pianoteq version arrive.
   From my point of view, it's important to fast update all demo mp3 on website after each relevant change in sound.

About Piet , he always creates great and lovely compositions and get the right mixing. :-)

There are also other nice collaborators who we would to like to get their upgraded mp3 files.

Last edited by Beto-Music (20-01-2022 16:50)

The Pianoteq 7.5.3 update continues with an issue for the Linux version:

- The top menu bar does not appear when the GUI is in full screen mode.

Last edited by Professor Leandro Duarte (21-01-2022 15:07)

Professor Leandro Duarte wrote:

What is you window manager ? I could not reproduce it. Note that the menu bar auto-hides itself, so you have to move the mouse cursor near the top edge for it to appear.

julien wrote:

What is you window manager ? I could not reproduce it. Note that the menu bar auto-hides itself, so you have to move the mouse cursor near the top edge for it to appear.

I have the same problem with Win 10. The top bar disappears on full screen. I can only end the program with the task manager. The audio driver is also blocked at the same time. Then only a restart helps.

Last edited by Urs Zimmermann (21-01-2022 19:24)
Pianoteq 7 Pro with all pianos

Agree - Gorgeous ! Marvellous sounds - beautiful and such skillful productions Piet.

RE full-screen..

Confirming there is an issue on Win 10.

When in full-screen, menu is a barely visible sliver (maybe a dozen pixels tall).. no text - BUT can click and see menu items.

But - after trying to resize (with + and - keys) the menu sliver completely disappears.

Ctrl-Shift-F worked to toggle back to non-full screen mode however, FYI.

If a user doesn't toggle as above though, they may not find a way (no clickable button/surface) to safely close without also resorting to task manager or Alt-F4. (I do appreciate how Pianoteq restarts by default NOT in full screen - good practice).

First time such a strange behaviour noticed on my system - good luck getting this fixed Julien!

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Qexl wrote:

RE full-screen..

Confirming there is an issue on Win 10.

When in full-screen, menu is a barely visible sliver (maybe a dozen pixels tall).. no text - BUT can click and see menu items.

But - after trying to resize (with + and - keys) the menu sliver completely disappears.

Ctrl-Shift-F worked to toggle back to non-full screen mode however, FYI.

If a user doesn't toggle as above though, they may not find a way (no clickable button/surface) to safely close without also resorting to task manager or Alt-F4. (I do appreciate how Pianoteq restarts by default NOT in full screen - good practice).

First time such a strange behaviour noticed on my system - good luck getting this fixed Julien!

Same issue on Win 7.
Same observations as Qexl about ways to toggle back or exit.
(Anyway I have made a habit of always using Alt+F4 to close anything, including exit Windows)

Last edited by Gaston (22-01-2022 10:37)

I have a similar problem if I go into fullscreen mode, whilst running Pianoteq on Debian 9, with an Xfce4 window manager. The midi controls almost vanish off the top of my screen and there is a reasonable gap between the bottom of the piano keyboard and the bottom of my screen. When I initially go into the fullscreen mode, I can see the zone with the midi controls and no gap below the piano keyboard but then the application image jumps up the screen, seemingly to restore that gap below the application image.

If I press Alt+left click, I can grab the image and move it around the screen, so I can re-centre the application image on the screen ie with the midi controls visible and no gap below the piano keyboard. I found that it is not so much the case that the application image is moving relative to the screen but rather the fullscreen image is moving relative to the physical screen. If I drag the fullscreen image down a slight bit more it starts to reveal the underlying desktop wallpaper at the top of the screen.

That boundary between the desktop wallpaper and the top of the displaced fullscreen image is sensitive to cursor movements. If you move the cursor slowly across the boundary you activate the control panel with "File  Edit Window Help" and their associated drop down menus. It is a rather finicky boundary and I haven't learnt how to control it with a first cursor movement as yet. If you know how to activate the "Detachable Window" boundary in Pianoteq then you will have a fair idea how to summon the control panel from the boundary. Both seem to be speed sensitive ie a slow traverse will activate it, whereas a fast traverse does nothing.

With these couple of tweaks the fullscreen mode becomes fully operational with all the controls that you would ordinarily need. However, they are tweaks and one should not need to resort to them to make the mode work for you.

From looking at how the application behaves as it moves into fullscreen mode ie the later jump up screen after the application image has appeared, it would seen that the problem lies with the area that is defined beneath the bottom of the Pianoteq keyboard and the bottom boundary of the fullscreen mode. This portion of the image does not seem to serve any purpose, other than aesthetic, which it does by providing a dark border to the application image. However, it means that the overall defined image depth is greater than the depth of my screen and whilst I have a nice border, I lose access to some important functionality. It could also be said that the defined dimensions for the full screen mode are larger than the defined dimensions of my physical screen. Something is not being read properly obviously.

We don't need the bottom border, but we do need access to the midi controls and the control panel in fullscreen mode. It would be better, in this case, to sacrifice an aesthetic gloss for mere utilitarian functionality.

Pianoteq, however, in full screen mode, without the bottom black boundary, still looks extremely elegant and is efficiently functional; the essence of good French design.

Michael

EDIT :  Sorry I was typing late at night and should have typed "ALT+LEFT click" to activate the move function not "ALT+right click". Apologies for any confusion, but typing at midnight is always prone to error unfortunately and this was a silly one.

Mea Culpa! Mea Culpa!

Michael

Last edited by mprimrose (23-01-2022 02:21)
Pianoteq 8 Studio plus all Instrument packs; Organteq 2; Debian; Reaper; Carla

julien wrote:

I use Ubuntu Studio, XFCE interface.
In this case, the upper parts appear cut off, incomplete; visibly, it's a bug. It's not something pretty, good and functional.

Last edited by Professor Leandro Duarte (22-01-2022 15:32)

Fantastic, Piet!

Excuse me while I stand on the corner and hail a Taxi for B...

:-)

Love it!

- David

Under MacOs (Mojave) the fullscreen modes shows a screen wide grey bar at the top that is not there if I use Pianote 6. Below it I get the normal display with everything in it. There is probably a bug there that interacts differently with different operating systems. The grey bar is the same thickness as the usual Mac top screen menu bar. Maybe that's a hint...

Last edited by Gilles (22-01-2022 15:51)

Waiting Modartt update/revoice U4 Upright to allow Piet to update these other great music demos:

Bierkeller: https://www.modartt.com/data/audio/pian...keller.mp3

Weathred: https://www.modartt.com/data/audio/pian...thered.mp3

Brushed-up: https://www.modartt.com/data/audio/pian...d%20Up.mp3

dklein wrote:

Fantastic, Piet!

Love it!

Last edited by Beto-Music (22-01-2022 17:02)

dklein wrote:

Fantastic, Piet!

Love it!

Yeah, that’s the best one of them.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

mprimrose wrote:

I have a similar problem if I go into fullscreen mode, whilst running Pianoteq on Debian 9, with an Xfce4 window manager. The midi controls almost vanish off the top of my screen and there is a reasonable gap between the bottom of the piano keyboard and the bottom of my screen. When I initially go into the fullscreen mode, I can see the zone with the midi controls and no gap below the piano keyboard but then the application image jumps up the screen, seemingly to restore that gap below the application image.

If I press Alt+right click, I can grab the image and move it around the screen, so I can re-centre the application image on the screen ie with the midi controls visible and no gap below the piano keyboard. I found that it is not so much the case that the application image is moving relative to the screen but rather the fullscreen image is moving relative to the physical screen. If I drag the fullscreen image down a slight bit more it starts to reveal the underlying desktop wallpaper at the top of the screen.

That boundary between the desktop wallpaper and the top of the displaced fullscreen image is sensitive to cursor movements. If you move the cursor slowly across the boundary you activate the control panel with "File  Edit Window Help" and their associated drop down menus. It is a rather finicky boundary and I haven't learnt how to control it with a first cursor movement as yet. If you know how to activate the "Detachable Window" boundary in Pianoteq then you will have a fair idea how to summon the control panel from the boundary. Both seem to be speed sensitive ie a slow traverse will activate it, whereas a fast traverse does nothing.

With these couple of tweaks the fullscreen mode becomes fully operational with all the controls that you would ordinarily need. However, they are tweaks and one should not need to resort to them to make the mode work for you.

From looking at how the application behaves as it moves into fullscreen mode ie the later jump up screen after the application image has appeared, it would seen that the problem lies with the area that is defined beneath the bottom of the Pianoteq keyboard and the bottom boundary of the fullscreen mode. This portion of the image does not seem to serve any purpose, other than aesthetic, which it does by providing a dark border to the application image. However, it means that the overall defined image depth is greater than the depth of my screen and whilst I have a nice border, I lose access to some important functionality. It could also be said that the defined dimensions for the full screen mode are larger than the defined dimensions of my physical screen. Something is not being read properly obviously.

We don't need the bottom border, but we do need access to the midi controls and the control panel in fullscreen mode. It would be better, in this case, to sacrifice an aesthetic gloss for mere utilitarian functionality.

Pianoteq, however, in full screen mode, without the bottom black boundary, still looks extremely elegant and is efficiently functional; the essence of good French design.

Michael

Eureka!

I found a way to adjust the window so that the menu appears normally:

Just adjust the already maximized window with the directional arrows. You can do this using the shortcuts (Linux XFCE) ALT + SPACEBAR; then press the "M" key; the mouse cursor will become a motion indicator icon, from there you can adjust the GUI position so that it fits perfectly on your desktop monitor.

IMPORTANT: after finding the desired position, do not forget to press the ENTER key to keep the adjustment!

julien wrote:

Yes, Julien, it is just an auto-hide of the bar "File Edit Window Help" on my Laptop (Debian 11 Linux, KDE, Xorg, 1000Hz-RT-kernel).

When I move the mouse cursor near the top edge of the display the bar appears. Moving the mouse away from the top the bar auto-hides (and the PTQ-window auto-moves to the top of the display).

Last edited by groovy (23-01-2022 00:05)

Professor Leandro Duarte,

There was an obvious, unintentional error in my original post, which I have since edited and corrected. After all these years I should know not to type detailed stuff at midnight.

I think my corrected key sequence of "ALT+LEFT click" is the equivalent of your XFCE shortcut of "ALT + SPACEBAR; then press the "M" key". It may, of course, be the way I have my system set-up after years of tweaking.

Unfortunately, if I get the application set up correctly on fullscreen, then drop back to normal size , and then return to fullscreen, the alterations have not held, and I have to repeat the grab and move process again to re-centre the application. Pressing the "Return" key doesn't seem to fix the alteration in place for subsequent alterations between normal and fullscreen.

We are closer to a fix, but not quite there yet unfortunately,

Michael

EDIT: The keystroke combination "ALT+F7" also appears to be defined as a "move window" action

Last edited by mprimrose (23-01-2022 03:13)
Pianoteq 8 Studio plus all Instrument packs; Organteq 2; Debian; Reaper; Carla

On KDE Desktop Environment I can move the fullscreen window with ALT+Leftclick+Hold+Drag, the same as on your XFCE.

Probably I did not understand what the problem is, because the auto-hide feature has been in older Pianoteq releases than v7.5.3 if I remember correctly.

If I were you I would make a specific thread with your issue and a screenshot or smartphone photo.

But these are just my 2 cents

Last edited by groovy (23-01-2022 09:46)

julien wrote:

I believe that this problem occurs because the window in fullscreen mode does not appear maximized. The GUI fits perfectly when I click "maximize" on the shortcuts: alt + spacebar; the window configuration tab appears, I click on maximize or press the "x" key.

However, this adjustment must be made whenever Pianoteq is opened, as these settings do not remain.

Also, I notice that there is an inconsistency in the various window adjustment options for Pianoteq. There is "fullscreen" option in interface, "maximize" option in window, "fullscreen" option in window. Clearly, there is no correlation between the pianoteq interface options and the desktop window manager. It would be nice if there was the same clear and functional option.

Last edited by Professor Leandro Duarte (24-01-2022 17:16)

I just tried with the newest update and I still get random stuck notes (sustaining notes).
If I detect a stuck note it gets resolved if I hit the key again. So it might be a missed note off event?

I wonder how to debug this...
I'm on OSX Monterey, VPC-1 connected via USB to Macbook Pro 2018 connected to power.

I again switched back to 7.4.2, it never happens there.

Michael10 wrote:

I just tried with the newest update and I still get random stuck notes (sustaining notes).
If I detect a stuck note it gets resolved if I hit the key again. So it might be a missed note off event?

I'm on OSX Monterey, VPC-1 connected via USB to Macbook Pro 2018 connected to power.

Michael, are you using the standalone version, or are you using Pianoteq in Logic ?
It would be interesting to run an application like https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/ while Pianoteq is running, that way you can compare the events recorded by "Midi Monitor" and the events received by Pianoteq (as listed in options / midi)

Feel free to open a support request at https://www.modartt.com/support?direct=1 , it will be more convenient than in this thread.

julien wrote:

Michael, are you using the standalone version, or are you using Pianoteq in Logic ?
It would be interesting to run an application like https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/ while Pianoteq is running, that way you can compare the events recorded by "Midi Monitor" and the events received by Pianoteq (as listed in options / midi)

Feel free to open a support request at https://www.modartt.com/support?direct=1 , it will be more convenient than in this thread.

I'm running it standalone.
I'll try to do what you recommended and might open a ticket later.

thanks!

julien wrote:
Michael10 wrote:

… .

I have the same issue (stuck note) that Michael10 reported. In the midi log, when the bug occurs, you can see that the note-off message is missing.

This issue does not occur with the vsl synchron pianos and/or garritan cfx. Pianoteq 7.4.2 also runs trouble-free.

I'm running the Pianoteq Pro (7.5.3) version standalone on Windows-10 Pro.

Toccata.D wrote:

I have the same issue (stuck note) that Michael10 reported. In the midi log, when the bug occurs, you can see that the note-off message is missing.

This issue does not occur with the vsl synchron pianos and/or garritan cfx. Pianoteq 7.4.2 also runs trouble-free.

I'm running the Pianoteq Pro (7.5.3) version standalone on Windows-10 Pro.

I did play some more and observing in Midi Monitor and Pianoteq's event monitor: In my case the note off is registered for the offending note(s) (in both programs), so I really don't know what's happening.
I disconnected all pedals to see if the issue is there, but it still occurs. Sometimes not for several minutes, sometimes there are 2 hangs in short series. It seems to be random notes, I don't think it's an issue with certain keys.

All I can say is that this never happens with 7.4.2 with the exact same setup, to which I'm downgrading again now because I need it at the moment.

I guess I'll contact support the next time I'll try.

Michael10 wrote:

…  but it still occurs. Sometimes not for several minutes, sometimes there are 2 hangs in short series. It seems to be random notes, I don't think it's an issue with certain keys.

All I can say is that this never happens with 7.4.2 with the exact same setup, …

Yes, I can confirm that. Seems to be all random.  Today I had the issue after about 20 minutes in Pianoteq. Switched to Garritan after that and practiced for about 2.5 hours. Not a single stuck note during this time.

Latest.
I've fixed the Steingräber for my use. This was by 1) increasing the hammer hardness in piano by 10% and 2) Turning off the delay preset to take the phasing out of the sound.
The update to 7.5 is a big improvement. I recommend this program and the Bechstein, Blüthner and Steingräber modelled pianos. 

Declanomad wrote:

Improvements on the Blüthner and Bechstein grands.
They are both more playable with balanced dynamics across the registers.
The main piano I am using is the Bechstein and I was having trouble with balancing the right and left hands. The dynamic difference with the melodic range around Eb3-Eb5 being piercing was difficult to compensate for. This has been solved. Great!! That's a big help.

Is the Steingräber better??
The Steingräber grand has changed. The Steingräber had a better dynamic balance across the registers before the update, and that hasn't changed. But it's like the tone is half better and half worse.
It has lost sustain below mf.
It sounds like the first part of the attack is muffled in mp and more so in p & pp. This is strange to the ears as it gets more muffled rather than softer. It might be an acquired taste. On the other hand if you push it a little it starts to sing out and is very nice.

Toccata.D wrote:
Michael10 wrote:

…  but it still occurs. Sometimes not for several minutes, sometimes there are 2 hangs in short series. It seems to be random notes, I don't think it's an issue with certain keys.

All I can say is that this never happens with 7.4.2 with the exact same setup, …

Yes, I can confirm that. Seems to be all random.  Today I had the issue after about 20 minutes in Pianoteq. Switched to Garritan after that and practiced for about 2.5 hours. Not a single stuck note during this time.

Possible source of error discovered. At least for me:

Today I changed the midi dialect in Pianoteq from „disklavier xp“ to „auto-detect“. Didn't have a single hanging note in Pianoteq in the 3+ hours (2 sessions) I practiced. Since „auto-detect“ is set by default, it would explain why most users don't have this issue.

Toccata.D wrote:

Possible source of error discovered. At least for me:

Today I changed the midi dialect in Pianoteq from „disklavier xp“ to „auto-detect“. Didn't have a single hanging note in Pianoteq in the 3+ hours (2 sessions) I practiced. Since „auto-detect“ is set by default, it would explain why most users don't have this issue.

Interesting. I never changed this setting and I guess in my case it's already in "auto-detect" mode (it is in my running 7.4.2), unless 7.5.2 has another default value.
I'll check the next time I'm testing 7.5.x, I'm currently still on the downgrade to 7.4.2

Do you also use a Kawai VPC-1 keyboard?

Michael10 wrote:

…. Do you also use a Kawai VPC-1 keyboard?

No. I use a Yamaha Avantgrand N3.

Update: I purged everything Pianoteq, Modartt from the harddrive (Presets, Settings etc pp) and reinstalled 7.5.3 and now played it for about 3 hours.

No more hangs so far, fingers crossed. Maybe I should have done this in the first place(?), I'm still pretty new to Pianoteq.

Now I have the problem that I liked the sound of 7.4.2 better;-), but that's just because I was very tuned in on it and my ears will probably adapt.

Successful tweaks in update 7.5.4.

Congratulations to the Modart Pianoteq team. You are amazing!