Topic: Great Pianoteq 7.5 update available

7.5.0 (2021/12/15)

Revoicing of NY Steinway D, HB Steinway D, Steinway B, Ant. Petrof, Petrof Mistral, C. Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Blüthner.
Added option for damping notes when the sustain pedal is pressed, either with low velocity note-on MIDI or aftertouch (option available in the velocity menu).
It is now possible to disable external tuning (MTS-ESP, MIDI tuning) in a preset.
External tuning can switch between continuous (sounding notes are re-pitched) and new notes only (sounding notes do not change).
External tuning now sounds much better when the amount of retuning applied to notes is large.
(Standard & Pro) New temperament menu entry for importing the current MTS-ESP tuning as a Pianoteq tuning.
Fixed sostenuto pedal when used with diatonic mode.
Delay reduced when playing with the Celeste pedal at a very low velocity.
Metronome volume and speed are now MIDI controlable.
Unsaved MIDI mappings can be restored from the midimapping menu, in options / MIDI.
Italian manual added.
Preview: for advanced users, Pianoteq can be remote controlled with a JSON-RPC api when started with the "--serve localhost:8081" option.

Result :

The revoicing is very good Steinway D, NY and HB are more direct.

Re: Great Pianoteq 7.5 update available

Better and Better with every iteration! 

...and in this case Better also applies to The B - let's hear it for improved parlor pianos (although this update improves many of the full-sized Grands as well).

- David

dklein wrote:

Better and Better with every iteration! 

...and in this case Better also applies to The B - let's hear it for improved parlor pianos (although this update improves many of the full-sized Grands as well).

Absolutely. Happy camper here. And everywhere.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

The revoiced pianos definitely sound a bit fuller and more direct. I feel like the Ant Petrof has really benefited alot from this, in particular. Very nice!

I'm also very happy but also wondering how much of this improvement is just in my head?! but It sounds so good anyway! I'm a User=) now since one year or so and at first I had a strange ringing with the NY e.g. around the note b flat (in the second octave). I could turn it of with the duplex scale (just on this notes..) but it seems this has vanished..

I luuuv my pianoteq so much.

PaptainClanet wrote:

The revoiced pianos definitely sound a bit fuller and more direct. I feel like the Ant Petrof has really benefited alot from this, in particular. Very nice!

I agree as well.  The Ant Petrof has moved ahead of the Petrof Mistral in overall realism, at least on my system.

- David

Ooh, I'm so looking forward to trying the revoiced pianos!

Pianos sounds good. But if I load one of my velocity curves I get a read damper area shown in the velocity area and then I can't save my presets any more. Does anyone have the same issue?

I compared my piece ”Adagio covid and omicron” (Petrof Mistral) using the new version 7.50 and the old version. I think I hear a fuller sound with 7.50 (with my old ears). Something is better, but can not put it into words, in any case I'm happy. Thanks 

Edit   A natural sound, like a real piano

Best wishes,

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (16-12-2021 13:25)

Olivier W wrote:

The revoicing is very good Steinway D, NY and HB are more direct.

Hi - all good but one small thing, Preferences are now greyed out - despite uninstalling 7.4.2, rebooting and installing 7.5.

Anyone else having this?

J

Edit: I can access the Preferences if I use the command key with the comma symbol (on a MacBook)..so if anyone has this issue and needs to change latency etc. this can be a workaround..

Last edited by jamiecw (16-12-2021 14:05)

NormanP wrote:

Pianos sounds good. But if I load one of my velocity curves I get a read damper area shown in the velocity area and then I can't save my presets any more. Does anyone have the same issue?

I confirm there is a bug with velocity presets, we will post an update soon, thank you!

jamiecw wrote:

Hi - all good but one small thing, Preferences are now greyed out - despite uninstalling 7.4.2, rebooting and installing 7.5

I'm looking at it. Btw, clicking on the "Options" button in the interface opens the same window as clicking on "Preferences" in the macos menu bar.

Very much enjoying the newly revoiced piano models and presets!

For those who have a "hot" MIDI keyboard which favors the higher velocity values even when playing with only moderate finger force, and who feel that the more loudly-played notes have a bit too much or unrealistic sharpness or bite, try compensating for the hot keyboard by setting the velocity curve (or line) at a lower setting for those highest velocities, like this (image below), which works well for me with the somewhat biased velocity sensors of my Kawai MP11SE MIDI keyboard.

https://imgur.com/Hdxe4vo.png

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (16-12-2021 16:27)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Olivier W wrote:

7.5.0 (2021/12/15)

Preview: for advanced users, Pianoteq can be remote controlled with a JSON-RPC api when started with the "--serve localhost:8081" option.

I'm not very advanced, but I like to test things, does anyone know how is JSON supposed to be used?

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Decay is shorter on all pianos, especially the NY Steinway. Less power, sound is fading faster.

Another thing I didn't understand was why the order of the presets is different, the Prelude is no longer the first in several models. I didn't understand the criteria used to place Classical in first on NY's list and Jazz in first on HB's list.

Last edited by Professor Leandro Duarte (16-12-2021 21:21)
Respeito, Esforço e Sabedoria

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

I compared my piece ”Adagio covid and omicron” (Petrof Mistral) using the new version 7.50 and the old version. I think I hear a fuller sound with 7.50 (with my old ears). Something is better, but can not put it into words, in any case I'm happy. Thanks 

Best wishes,

Stig

I agree that the sound seems more natural. I must admit that I have not had the time to play Pianoteq over the past month, so I may be hearing things that were present in version 7. The notes seem to evolve differently in space, almost as though I can hear them rippling across the soundboard and evolving. I hear this particularly if I just press and hold a bass note on one of the Steinways. A new territory, to me. Is it just me? Or us, that is?

Jake Johnson wrote:
Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

Best wishes,

Stig

I agree that the sound seems more natural. I must admit that I have not had the time to play Pianoteq over the past month, so I may be hearing things that were present in version 7. The notes seem to evolve differently in space, almost as though I can hear them rippling across the soundboard and evolving. I hear this particularly if I just press and hold a bass note on one of the Steinways. A new territory, to me. Is it just me? Or us, that is?

Yes. The miking parameters of the NY Steinway Model D preset have been modified. There are now 4 active microphones instead of just two. But the HB Steinway Model D preset remains with just two.

In addition, the reverb setting was also changed from Small Hall to Concert Hall;
the effect gain was increased from +1 to +2;
the Hammer Hardness (piano) was set to 27 instead of 30.

Professor Leandro Duarte wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Decay is shorter on all pianos, especially the NY Steinway. Less power, sound is fading faster.

Another thing I didn't understand was why the order of the presets is different, the Prelude is no longer the first in several models. I didn't understand the criteria used to place Classical in first on NY's list and Jazz in first on HB's list.

Here are some details on the work done on the NY Steinway D (quite a similar work was done on all revised pianos):
- adjustment of the longitudinal modes (responsible for the 'buzzing' sound): in the bass and medium range, some were a little bit too pronounced,
- adjustment of the quadratic modes, some were a bit too hot at fff,
- adjustment of the hammer hardness, to have a better progression and timbre dynamics from ppp to fff,
- general revoicing, both at the 'factory' level (not visible in the UI) and at the preset level (visible in the Spectrum profile NE of some presets in Pianoteq PRO), making the sound of individual notes nicer and fuller from ppp to fff,
- modification of the micing in some presets (only a few ones), as for example on the "NY Steinway D Classical". This is an aesthetic choice,
- various small modifications in the presets such as voicing, hammer hardness, hammer noise, volume (normalization), etc.,
- modification of the presets orders, also an aesthetic choice.

7.5, very good.
The one thing that wasn't added was the ability to open the [Freeze Parameter] in a different window. I read in a post that this would be the case in the next upgrade.

7.5.1 (2021/12/16)
Fix issue with velocity preset not being properly saved.
Fix "Preferences..." menu entry being greyed on macOS.
Fix crash on macOS 10.9.

marcos daniel wrote:
Olivier W wrote:

7.5.0 (2021/12/15)

I'm not very advanced, but I like to test things, does anyone know how is JSON supposed to be used?

See embedded basic documentation as suggested here: https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=9043

This is great news! Not OSC directly, but it can be mapped to anything.

Just when I thought that Pianoteq was plenty good enough for me it got even better… thank you … makes me play even more now.

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

julien wrote:
NormanP wrote:

I confirm there is a bug with velocity presets, we will post an update soon, thank you!

Also note that when the interface is in fullscreen mode, the top of the menus is cut off, as if they didn't fit on the screen.
NOTE: I use Ubuntu Studio (Linux).

Generally good, but I've been getting an unpleasant high-pitched 'zing' sound on the Steinways on note C6 (2 octaves above Middle C). Particularly noticeable in NY Steinway D Classical Recording, but it seems to be there to some extent on all the Steinway presets that I've tried, including the B. Anybody else hearing it?

Last edited by dazric (17-12-2021 15:34)

Also note that when the interface is in fullscreen mode, the top of the menus is cut off, as if they didn't fit on the screen.

Confirmed: this is a screenshot of my 2560x1440-pixel monitor with Pianoteq in full-screen mode, using Linux Mint XFCE desktop.

https://imgur.com/5HLGaPw.png

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (17-12-2021 16:12)
--

dazric wrote:

Generally good, but I've been getting an unpleasant high-pitched 'zing' sound on the Steinways on note C6 (2 octaves above Middle C). Particularly noticeable in NY Steinway D Classical Recording, but it seems to be there to some extent on all the Steinway presets that I've tried, including the B. Anybody else hearing it?

Confirmed in NY and B, the HB seems fine. I hear it less in the custom presets I made on the previous version for some reason, it could be because I have no mics inside the piano in the NY while I do on the B.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

Here are some details on the work done on the NY Steinway D (quite a similar work was done on all revised pianos):
- adjustment of the longitudinal modes (responsible for the 'buzzing' sound): in the bass and medium range, some were a little bit too pronounced,
- adjustment of the hammer hardness, to have a better progression and timbre dynamics from ppp to fff,
- general revoicing, both at the 'factory' level (not visible in the UI) and at the preset level (visible in the Spectrum profile NE of some presets in Pianoteq PRO), making the sound of individual notes nicer and fuller from ppp to fff,
- modification of the micing in some presets (only a few ones), as for example on the "NY Steinway D Classical". This is and aesthetic choice,
- various small modifications in the presets such as voicing, hammer hardness, hammer noise, volume (normalization), etc.,

It is just a matter of taste but I am glad I saved in a preset the previous hammer hardness voicing, it was truly wonderful in terms of dynamics so much so that I applied on the different concert presets I made. I'll try theses new ones as well but the response in touch of the previous one was outstanding.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Confirmed: this is a screenshot of my 2560x1440-pixel monitor with Pianoteq in full-screen mode, using Linux Mint XFCE desktop.

I have already said it on this forum in the past but what a waste of space on the screen with the pianoteq interface. These left and right black surfaces could be used so well by avoiding all the sub-menus, or pictures of piano or other...
Let's hope that the designers one day hear it...

Thank you so much Modartt. Brilliant revoicing of the NY Steinway! It feels like a different piano and so much more playable. I wonder if you've done something with the velocity response?

Anyway, thank you to all involved,

Happy Christmas to all,

Warmest regards,

Chris

YvesTh wrote:

I have already said it on this forum in the past but what a waste of space on the screen with the pianoteq interface. These left and right black surfaces could be used so well by avoiding all the sub-menus, or pictures of piano or other...

Well, that's a good point, although I personally don't mind that the Pianoteq user interface is separated into a variety of draggable panes/windows. I often use the Pianoteq keyboard shortcuts (Help-->Keyboard shortcuts) to "Memorize windows positions" and "Restore memorized windows positions," so that my monitor desktop often looks like this:

https://imgur.com/DsPqRf6.png

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (17-12-2021 17:03)
--

YvesTh wrote:
Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Thanks... I had never used the windows memorization... it's interesting...

YvesTh wrote:
YvesTh wrote:
Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Thanks... I had never used the windows memorization... it's interesting...

I hadn't used it either. It's a great feature, I just need to remember to use it...

It took Modartt a short time to make a piano model to 95% right. It took them 15 years to do the rest of 5 percent.

This update is glorious. Even on a shtt speaker like my acer swift 3 laptop it sounds good. Wait to hear it on my studio speakers.

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien!  (perfect is the enemy of good!).

Last edited by artiefichelle (17-12-2021 20:35)

Uhnn... I would say the first BETA and V1.0 was 75% or 80%.

But your comment still make sense, as the last finish details are always more complex and difficult, just like in a painting artwork in terms of fine realistic details.

artiefichelle wrote:

It took Modartt a short time to make a piano model to 95% right. It took them 15 years to do the rest of 5 percent.

This update is glorious. Even on a shtt speaker like my acer swift 3 laptop it sounds good. Wait to hear it on my studio speakers.

Last edited by Beto-Music (18-12-2021 06:26)

Very interesting... I see the term revoicing consistis of a lot of more things than I imagined before.
It's quite an alchemy to have só much factors to adjust/balance. How many hours a day and weeks it took?
I bet it wasn't easy.

https://media.hswstatic.com/eyJidWNrZXQ...o4Mjh9fX0=

What is the major aim of revouncing?
Bring the modelled piano closer to the one it was based on? Or just make the piano sound better to the average public?

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

- modification of the micing in some presets (only a few ones), as for example on the "NY Steinway D Classical". This is and aesthetic choice,

Last edited by Beto-Music (18-12-2021 06:25)

Could be just me, but previously recorded midi files on earlier versions of Pianoteq (6) are cited as invalid?

As professional life is usually measured respecting the "80/20 rule", the final adjustments are to be highly appreciated -  ça demande vachement de temps et energie d'achever ce but.
Really thrilled by the new update. And: do subscribe the newsletter, if you did not yet. Just learned a lot about "note off velocity" in Pianoteq ...

Beto-Music wrote:

Uhnn... I would say the first BETA and V1.0 was 75% or 80%.

But your comment still make sense, as the last finish details are always more complex and difficult, just like in a painting artwork in terms of fine realistic details.

artiefichelle wrote:

The update is totally nice. Please check the somewhat metallic sounds of the notes surrounding Middle C at NY Steinway D Classical if velocity is above approximately 100. Come across that in both 7.5.1 and 7.5.2, not in 7.4.2 though. Is that normal for this preset?

Last edited by Klest (19-12-2021 00:32)

Hi,

For me:

"Steinway B wide" preset is the clear winner of this 7.5.2 internal revoicing update

Sound incredible.

I use this preset, and General Freeze option for effects, dynamics, limiter, and mic positions, and use it to make " NY Steinway D WIDE" , and "HB Steinway D Wide), based on this.

Sound incredible.

Regards,

Olivier F.

Modarrt, please add by default in future update the same "Steinway B Wide preset", for NY and HB Steinway D (With same effects, MIC positions, limiter and dynamics than your excellent "Steinway B wide" of 7.5.2)

Updated to 7.5.1, but many parameters are changed automatically in all of  my presets  under 7.4.2. I have to modify them one by one. I remember that I did not encounter it in the previous updates.

How to solve this problem, or a simple way?

Wonderful update - congratulations to all of Modartt and contributors - and lucky us all who love this. Pianoteq indeed keeps chipping away at that last mile

Beautiful tones, more breathlessly solid across the range, sensing better balances everywhere in every way. Nothing else on the market can do these things so realistically.

Pianoteq not only continually improves the sound but playability is enhanced always - still unbeatable IMO.

Sincere thanks all!

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Olivier W wrote:

Hi,

For me:

"Steinway B wide" preset is the clear winner of this 7.5.2 internal revoicing update

Sound incredible.

I use this preset, and General Freeze option for effects, dynamics, limiter, and mic positions, and use it to make " NY Steinway D WIDE" , and "HB Steinway D Wide), based on this.

Sound incredible.

Regards,

Olivier F.

Modarrt, please add by default in future update the same "Steinway B Wide preset", for NY and HB Steinway D (With same effects, MIC positions, limiter and dynamics than your excellent "Steinway B wide" of 7.5.2)

Yes! After doing some of my own testing, I have to say I agree about the Steinway B Wide - I think it's going to be my go-to preset now. I'm going to try your idea with the Steinway Ds, too.

I'm still getting a bit of 'zing' on C6 on the Steinways, although it seems more pronounced on some presets, especially with the NY D. The funny thing is that it seemed particularly strong the first time I tried 7.5.1 - maybe it's one of those weird intermittent glitch things, I'll make a note if it happens again.

Qexl wrote:

Wonderful update - congratulations to all of Modartt and contributors - and lucky us all who love this. Pianoteq indeed keeps chipping away at that last mile

Beautiful tones, more breathlessly solid across the range, sensing better balances everywhere in every way. Nothing else on the market can do these things so realistically.

Pianoteq not only continually improves the sound but playability is enhanced always - still unbeatable IMO.

Sincere thanks all!

I have commented positively already once, but have to accompany Qexl as well. Tested Mistral Warm 7.5.2 - to my ears wonderful sound with headphones.

Best wishes,

Stig

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...arm%20.mp3

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (19-12-2021 14:18)

My congratulations Modartt. Pianoteq ithink is now definitely ahead of huge sampled-static libraries(regardless 100 or so velocity layers.. as we know this alone cannot make a difference alas!)
Indeed, apart from the fuller acoustic experience, I can hear&feel that revoicing went asfaras improving the individual notes!
imust say ihave the impression that now,with Pianoteq 7.5, modartt has achieved one of the landmarks in the ongoing research-development
these guys do.
(Enough of the idiotic talking about pianoteq having 'good playability but nasal sound')
So far, itested only Petrof & NY Steinway. SUPERB! touch-Feeling!

Sincere thanks to you French! Loveu

I'm not sure if it's just an impression I feel or not, but some top quality brands of real Grand pianos today appear to be less metalic than some decades ago, by watching videos of professional pianists. Steinway for example, unless I'm wrong, sounded quite more metalic in the 60's and 70's.  Not the bad metalic like "oing boing" sound, tin sound or bad oscilating metalic, but a good fair metalic.

It's like Steinway tried to remore some metalic feelings today. On Brazil people associate too much metallic sounds to cheap sound, like a low quality chinese piano sound, and for the other side they believe a low metallic or velvet sound it's a indication of quality due resemble a Steinway. But things are way more complex than that.

I'm light years away to be an authority for judgment, but I wonder if today we are a bit "metalicphobic", demanding each key to be too much perfect, 100% even, due this direction Steinway took and their strong label be a huge influence.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, if Steinway ir's really better today, and if the perfect even sound along keyboard it's an indication of superior quality and always demanded, or if it's more a matter of taste.

I'm raising this theme because there is a chance we are targeting some little things on pianoteq as defects, when it perhaps it's just a normal thing, a little bit of charm of an given model.
Anyway it's a modelled technology and not a sampler, and so it can have many presets to please greeks and trojans.  :-)

Last edited by Beto-Music (19-12-2021 18:28)

Klest wrote:

The update is totally nice. Please check the somewhat metallic sounds of the notes surrounding Middle C at NY Steinway D Classical if velocity is above approximately 100. Come across that in both 7.5.1 and 7.5.2, not in 7.4.2 though. Is that normal for this preset?

This might help--
https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php...97#p979497

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (19-12-2021 17:53)
--

Great update, really appreciate the revoicing and parameter tweaks, but I'm finding them somewhat confusing! A number of presets that I had prepared in older versions are now not sounding so good - I think that's maybe why I reported the 'zing' on C6 in the Steinways. The reason some of the presets don't sound so good is probably because of the parameter changes. So now I'm going back and rebuilding some of those presets, starting from the new factory settings, noting that they are based on the updated sounds. I've retained some of the old presets, and the difference between old and new is very noticeable in some cases.

Last edited by dazric (19-12-2021 18:06)

Beto-Music wrote:

I'm raising this theme because there is a chance we are targeting some little things on pianoteq as defects, when it perhaps it's just a normal thing

I think it's a normal thing.
Modartt's piano-model voicing includes a VERY wide dynamic range corresponding to the full-scale of MIDI velocities, from almost inaudible to sounding as though someone is hitting the strings with a metal hammer instead of pressing the keys.

This is a good thing, in my opinion, because it allows the user to make very judicious and fine-tuned adjustment of the velocity curve to cause it to correspond to the response of a particular MIDI keyboard, many of which seem to be a little "hot," meaning they lean toward the higher velocities and neglect, for example, the lower fourth of the MIDI velocity range.

However, when listening to and graphically observing many of the MIDI files produced by participants in the epiano competition, who often use acoustic grand pianos fitted with MIDI sensors, even when the pianist is playing with the greatest finger force and very loudly, at fortississimo or louder, the MIDI velocity values rarely exceed 110 (of a 0-127 full range). That's why it can be helpful to use a velocity curve (or line) in Pianoteq that does not include the highest range of MIDI velocity values, as one possible means of compensating for the great variety of MIDI keyboards and their velocity response. In some cases it's also helpful to adjust the lowest (softest) range of the velocity-response curve, to compensate for MIDI keyboards that rarely or never include that range even when playing with the least finger force necessary to depress a key.

https://imgur.com/Hdxe4vo.png

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (19-12-2021 19:34)
--

Beto-Music wrote:

I'm not sure if it's just an impression I feel or not, but some top quality brands of real Grand pianos today appear to be less metalic than some decades ago, by watching videos of professional pianists. Steinway for example, unless I'm wrong, sounded quite more metalic in the 60's and 70's.  Not the bad metalic like "oing boing" sound, tin sound or bad oscilating metalic, but a good fair metalic.

It's not just Steinway, it's everywhere. In the past the piano was often not amplified or amplified poorly and the main goal was to make it "break through" a full orchestra or a full band for modern music. I'm glad that the thing is shifting towards more mellow "woody" sound.

This is a long discussion, in my opinion, and we should make it as a separate thread rather than a side-conversation in this v7.5 update thread

dv wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

It's not just Steinway, it's everywhere. In the past the piano was often not amplified or amplified poorly and the main goal was to make it "break through" a full orchestra or a full band for modern music. I'm glad that the thing is shifting towards more mellow "woody" sound.

This is a long discussion, in my opinion, and we should make it as a separate thread rather than a side-conversation in this v7.5 update thread

I agree, on both counts. I'm sure that recording technology had a lot to do with the sound of 60s and 70s pianos. I have some CDs of piano recordings made by Vox in that era - IMO the piano sound is just awful!