Topic: Changes to Organteq 1.6.4

Looking at the changes implemented in the latest version of Organteq, I note that it states that:

'Added 'send to channel' option'"

I was wondering what this actually meant and how it was utilised. A comparison between version 1.6.3 and 1.6.4 doesn't easily show up any difference that could be a "send to channel" option, though I may be overlooking something blinding obvious.

I am guessing that this allows you to alter the channel being currently played, to another channel defined in the keyboard mapping being used, with the press of a key or a midi signal. Therefore, there should be something in the action mapping to allow you to program this, but I can't see where this actually occurs.

A "Program Change n" linked to a "Change Channel m" would be really useful, but I haven't even managed to get the "Program Change n" linked to "Combination Switch x" working in Reaper as yet.

https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php...56#p978456

Some help with this would be appreciated as I seem to be stuck in another rabbit hole

Michael

Pianoteq 8 Studio plus all Instrument packs; Organteq 2; Debian; Reaper; Carla

Re: Changes to Organteq 1.6.4

mprimrose wrote:

Looking at the changes implemented in the latest version of Organteq, I note that it states that:

'Added 'send to channel' option'"

I was wondering what this actually meant and how it was utilised.

File menu-->Audio/MIDI setup

To the right of the entries in the "Active MIDI inputs:" list, you will see a drop-down menu, the default setting of which is "do not change channel." However, you can click that menu to cause the incoming MIDI messages from that particular MIDI input (typically a hardware organ or piano keyboard) to be changed by Organteq to a specific channel (of the 16 available MIDI channels), before it is routed to one or more Organteq manuals that are set (in MIDI mapping-->Keyboard mapping) to respond to or be triggered by MIDI messages on that particular channel.

One use of this "send to channel" option would be to cause multiple hardware keyboards (regardless of which of the 16 MIDI channels they transmit their data on) to have that MIDI channel changed by Organteq to the same channel in order to route those multiple keyboards to all trigger the same Organteq manual. For example, two hardware keyboards might transmit MIDI data on channel 4 and 8, respectively; in Organteq, one could use the drop-down menus to the right of the hardware keyboards' listing to cause both of these keyboards' MIDI messages to be sent to channel 2, which in this example would happen to be the MIDI channel that the Grand Orgue manual is set to respond to, so both or either of the hardware keyboards would control the Grand Orgue manual.

Another use of the "send to channel" option would be to create a MIDI mapping-->Keyboard mapping, in which Organteq's three manuals and pedals are set to receive, in order, MIDI data (note-on, note-off, etc.) on MIDI channels 1, 2, 3 & 4. Then, regardless of which MIDI channel one's hardware keyboards are transmitting on, they can be changed in Organteq so that the MIDI data of each hardware keyboard is routed to the particular MIDI channel designated for each of Organteq's manuals and pedals.

A third use of this feature would be to translate the incoming MIDI messages of two external keyboards that happen to transmit on the same MIDI channel, so that once received by Organteq, the MIDI messages of one of those keyboards can be changed to a different channel, so that it would trigger a different Organteq manual. For example, the Grand Orgue might be configured to respond to MIDI on channel 2, and the Recit to MIDI channel 1. Let's say that both external keyboards transmit on MIDI channel 1. Without using the "send to channel" feature, both keyboards would trigger the Recit manual. But using the "send to channel" feature, the MIDI input listed in Organteq for one of the keyboards that are transmitting on MIDI channel 1, could be changed to "send to channel 2," which would cause the MIDI data from that keyboard to be translated by Organteq to channel 2 and be sent to and responded to by the Grand Orgue manual instead of the Recit manual.

So, the "send to channel" drop-down menu is effectively a channel-translation tool that acts upon incoming MIDI data in real time as it is received, changes the MIDI channel (or leaves the channel as is), before that MIDI data is sent to and responded to by whichever manual(s)/pedals are set to respond to the particular MIDI channel it has (possibly) been changed to. It is a function of convenience, so that one would not necessarily need to edit either their custom Organteq Keyboard-mapping with regard to MIDI channels, or learn how to set their external hardware MIDI keyboards to transmit on a particular desired channel (if the MIDI keyboard is able to be configured: some may not be, or it may be difficult to achieve; I have several keyboards the MIDI-transmit channels of which are limited to just one or two possible choices).

* ALSO, just discovered in the updated Organteq manual, see this-- https://www.modartt.com/user_manual?pro...ne-version

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (17-12-2021 05:18)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Stephen,

Thank you for an extremely comprehensive and logical explanation of where the "Added "send to channel" option" occurs within the Organteq application and how it can be utilised to map MIDI keyboards to particular manuals or channels on the vitual Organteq console.

It does leave me wondering, however, whether I had missed the memo that explained how all of this works and why, because I am not sure that the five worded explanation in Change Log, and a diagram in the manual, which I have just seen, is that detailed and self explanatory.

How is this actually different from right-click "Keyboard MIDI Learn: manual x" process that one normally utilises to assign a MIDI keyboard to a particular manual? If one is assigning a channel to a particular keyboard via the Audio/Midi setups is the mapping saved to be utilised the next time one re-starts Organteq? What happens if the keyboard is subsequently unplugged after Organteq is shutdown; will the setting be retained although not currently active on restart? I can see a number of interesting ways to use this new feature, so I have another rabbit hole to vanish down, especially as it is listing my VirMIDI ports as being assignable to a channel and hence a user-defined manual.

I was rather worried that I had asked a blindingly self evident question, but, given your detailed explanation, I seem rather fortunately to have not done so.

Michael

Pianoteq 8 Studio plus all Instrument packs; Organteq 2; Debian; Reaper; Carla

mprimrose wrote:

Stephen,

Thank you for an extremely comprehensive and logical explanation of where the "Added "send to channel" option" occurs within the Organteq application and how it can be utilised to map MIDI keyboards to particular manuals or channels on the vitual Organteq console.

The "send to channel" feature can be used for more than just routing MIDI data to a particular manual. If you have one or more external MIDI hardware controllers (not necessarily keyboards, but perhaps pad/button/rotary-dial/slider MIDI controller devices), one or more of them can be routed using the "send to channel" feature to a particular MIDI channel that one has MIDI-mapped to control any of the many non-key, non-note functions of Organteq, including stops, combinations/banks, couplers, expression and crescendo pedals, etcetera.

Organteq's MIDI mapping includes both keyboard mapping and action mapping contained in one preset. If one changes any of the mappings, the preset name will include the notice "(unsaved)" to let one know to use the preset drop-down menu just to the right of the "MIDI mapping" button in the main window, or to the right of the Current mapping preset in the MIDI-mappings window, to save the preset (with changes or additions) as a custom preset, to be recalled or used by default ("Set as default" in the drop-down menu) in future Organteq sessions.

mprimrose wrote:

It does leave me wondering, however, whether I had missed the memo that explained how all of this works and why, because I am not sure that the five worded explanation in Change Log, and a diagram in the manual, which I have just seen, is that detailed and self explanatory.

You didn't "miss the memo." In my case, I just did a bit of exploration and experimentation in Organteq, and a little creative thought, to develop an understanding of the feature and how it could be used. It's a very nice feature that can help a lot in creating custom interactions between Organteq and multiple external hardware devices including keyboards and various types of MIDI controllers, to help simplify and consolidate MIDI-mapping configuration within Organteq, instead of having to adjust MIDI settings (in this case, MIDI channels) on each and all of one's external keyboards/devices, some of which might not be able to have their MIDI channel altered in the device itself (I have expression pedal and drawbar/button devices that use only one fixed, unalterable MIDI channel, for example), or handware devices that have limited or complex ways of altering their MIDI-data-transmission settings.

mprimrose wrote:

How is this actually different from right-click "Keyboard MIDI Learn: manual x" process that one normally utilises to assign a MIDI keyboard to a particular manual?

Organteq's manuals and pedals can be configured to respond to the data on a particular MIDI channel using either the right-click MIDI-learn method, or by explicitly choosing the MIDI channel from the drop-down list for each manual in MIDI mappings-->Keyboard mapping-->"Channel x" in the colored header above each manual's grapical keyboard.

But some people are more used to the configuration methods used by other virtual organs, such as assigning and routing specific computer-attached hardware devices to specific manuals or to control other functions within the virtual organ. That technique is not nearly as flexible or customizable as Organteq's user-configurable MIDI-mapping, but for those users, routing their MIDI device data to specific MIDI channels within Organteq that are already pre-assigned in the factory default presets might be simpler or easier to understand than for those users to create their own customized MIDI mappings for the keyboards and other actions/functions/stops/etc.

mprimrose wrote:

If one is assigning a channel to a particular keyboard via the Audio/Midi setups is the mapping saved to be utilised the next time one re-starts Organteq? ... If you save the preset after assigning  What happens if the keyboard is subsequently unplugged after Organteq is shutdown; will the setting be retained although not currently active on restart?

MIDI-mapping presets (keyboard and action MIDI mappings combined) are independent of the MIDI-channel assignment/reassignment settings in Options-->Devices, and are retained separately by Organteq. Keyboard and action MIDI-mapping presets must be saved with a custom preset name in order to be retained/remembered/recalled in future use.

Regarding the "send to channel" feature in Options-->Devices (or File menu-->Audio/MIDI setup), Organteq remembers the MIDI channel assignment or reassignment for the particular external hardware devices when Organteq is subsequently launched, if that device is powered on and plugged into the computer (or audio/MIDI interface attached to the computer). So the setting is retained for the next time the device is plugged in and recognized by Organteq, and appears in the Options-->Devices list. Organteq's configuration files and auxiliary data are stored separately from the Organteq executable application itself, so if Organteq is installed on a new computer or one erases their computer system hard disk and reinstalls operating system, Organteq and everything from scratch, one might have to reconfigure these Organteq settings if one did not save a copy of Organteq's configuration data files. (In Linux, these files are stored in the normally hidden .config and .local/share directories.)

Anyway, nice new feature! I have a lot of admiration for the Modartt development team.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (17-12-2021 15:02)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq