Re: Visit to music shop to test actions...

Looks to me that a mean average of the curves would be as follows;

0, 32, 92, 127; 0, 1, 126, 127

Off to try it out ; )

Kindest Regards

Chris

Hello Chris and others,

I viewed your graph that was saved to Dropbox.  If it works for you or anyone else, that's fine.  Are you aware, however, that you and Mr. Groovy have chopped off about half of your working note-on velocities? 

When you (the x dimension on your graph) play with note-on velocity between values of 1 and 30, Pianoteq's programmed velocity curve effectively responds with a value of "1", i.e., is essentially non-responsive; when you (or the x dimension on your graph) play with any note-on velocity between 92 and 127 that Pianoteq returns a 127?  Then when your own note-on velocities are between about 31 and 91 (a ~60 point range), Pianoteq "feels" super sensitive by rendering the entire range of 1 through 127.

Please note that I am not complaining about this, nor am I lecturing you.  Perhaps this really does allow you to make music.  I just wanted you to be aware that you have done the equivalent of a de-compressor in the usable note-on velocity range you have chosen (i.e. 31 to 91).

For your info,

Joe

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Hello Chris and others,

I viewed your graph that was saved to Dropbox.  If it works for you or anyone else, that's fine.  Are you aware, however, that you and Mr. Groovy have chopped off about half of your working note-on velocities? 

When you (the x dimension on your graph) play with note-on velocity between values of 1 and 30, Pianoteq's programmed velocity curve effectively responds with a value of "1", i.e., is essentially non-responsive; when you (or the x dimension on your graph) play with any note-on velocity between 92 and 127 that Pianoteq returns a 127?  Then when your own note-on velocities are between about 31 and 91 (a ~60 point range), Pianoteq "feels" super sensitive by rendering the entire range of 1 through 127.

Please note that I am not complaining about this, nor am I lecturing you.  Perhaps this really does allow you to make music.  I just wanted you to be aware that you have done the equivalent of a de-compressor in the usable note-on velocity range you have chosen (i.e. 31 to 91).

For your info,

Joe

Thank you Joe. I am grateful for your comments. I will begin working on a curved curve as the 143 can actually go from 1-127 although not in the way of a line from these points. Back to the drawing board! (And yes, I knew I'd chopped a load off!!! ;

Kindest Regards,

Chris

sigasa wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3ksksv7q7gpq...3.pdf?dl=0

Looks to me that a mean average of the curves would be as follows;

0, 32, 92, 127; 0, 1, 126, 127

Cool, well done!

PS: Ups, you were 1 min faster

Last edited by groovy (17-07-2016 17:05)

Hello jcfelice88keys,

jcfelice88keys wrote:

When you [...] play with note-on velocity between values of 1 and 30, [...]
when you [...] play with any note-on velocity between 92 and 127 [...]

velocities in (approximately) these two ranges can't be played on some midi-keyboards. That is the legitimation for a customized mapping ("velocity-curve").

Kind regards

Whilst working on a 'straight' curve this morning, it came as somewhat of a revelation and was the first time I realised that the differences I was hearing between the black and white keys were not in any way due to an uneven black/white velocity balance. Indeed, to confirm, black and white keys have been perfectly balanced by Yamaha. What I was actually hearing was the result of an 'out-of-phase' velocity curve (in this case, offset straight line). In other words, the global velocity adjustments made affect the balance of the blacks and whites and whites/whites, blacks/blacks. I have found a straight line in phase which reveals the correct balance of blacks vs whites. This by no means the only (offset) straight line velocity curve that will work, it just happens to be an example of an in-phase curve.

I had wondered before now why the velocities of the blacks and whites had appeared to be the same in terms of consistency, but had sounded different. Now I know.

I wish post the example curve shortly.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

groovy wrote:

Hello jcfelice88keys,

jcfelice88keys wrote:

velocities in (approximately) these two ranges can't be played on some midi-keyboards. That is the legitimation for a customized mapping ("velocity-curve").

Kind regards

Hello Mr. Groovy,

If in fact some midi keyboards do not send the lowest and/or highest available note-on velocities, then I stand corrected and a customized velocity curve is justified.

Cheers,

Joe

jcfelice88keys wrote:
groovy wrote:

Hello jcfelice88keys,

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Kind regards

Hello Mr. Groovy,

If in fact some midi keyboards do not send the lowest and/or highest available note-on velocities, then I stand corrected and a customized velocity curve is justified.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,

The 143 does send lowest and highest velocities but higher and lower regions are quite uncontrollable so need to be suppressed.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Hello Mr. Groovy,

Cheers,

Joe

I recall one famous synth that was notorious for not being able send MIDI key velocity over a certain level and various Roland keyboards that had MIDI key velocity 'limitations'

Hi all,

Silly me! I should have adjusted the dynamics per curve variation!
I've now started to do so whilst using hard curve variation on the Yamaha (curve option 3). I'm getting much better results and will post as soon as I've got something I really like.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Ok. Found something nice.

0, 33, 85, 127; 0, 1, 126, 127

Dynamics slider = 20

Yamaha ARIUS YDP-143 hard velocity curve

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hi all,

Been working today to iron out a particular frequency that was causing problems for me whilst using the Bluthner. I think I've cracked it but need to go back with fresh ears later. Whilst testing earlier, the piano seemed a lot more definite and sure in the way it played. Anyway, as I say, need to check it again this evening.

For those who wish to check it out now, the frequency I've subdued is 8877Hz (note 78 F#4's 11th frequency) which I have taken down to - 11.5.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hi, sigasa.

Just have checked visualizations of your curve on previous page and start wondering why do you cap your volume like this both at low and high midi speeds? I have to do something like that myself at high speeds because my gear isn't capable to generate midi velocities greater than ~100-110 But I guess your rig is much better and this shouldn't be a problem. Isn't more authentic would be something closer to a straight line going from lower left corner to upper right? Isn't this how real pianos behave? I just don't know myself, and thought you may know more about how to set the curve correctly.

AlexS wrote:

Hi, sigasa.

Just have checked visualizations of your curve on previous page and start wondering why do you cap your volume like this both at low and high midi speeds? I have to do something like that myself at high speeds because my gear isn't capable to generate midi velocities greater than ~100-110 But I guess your rig is much better and this shouldn't be a problem. Isn't more authentic would be something closer to a straight line going from lower left corner to upper right? Isn't this how real pianos behave? I just don't know myself, and thought you may know more about how to set the curve correctly.

Hi AlexS

I set the low and high points in a bit primarily because anything closer to 0,0 or 127, 127 is virtually uncontrollable/irratic in normal/realistic playing.

Hope this helps AlexS

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hi all,

I thought to myself, I'll just check to see if the piano (YDP-143) is actually level on the floor. Well, it wasn't! It is now (after putting some card under the front of the left foot). Now it has an even more consistent velocity response - lovely.

I have also found a really nice setup that plays and sounds very good with and without headphones. It is based on the Bluthner with the ARIUS (143) medium (default) velocity curve and adjusted Pianoteq curve. I'll post the .fxp and velocity curve tomorrow hopefully with demo.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (12-08-2016 20:30)

sigasa wrote:

Hi all,

I thought to myself, I'll just check to see if the piano (YDP-143) is actually level on the floor. Well, it wasn't! It is now (after putting some card under the front of the left foot). Now it has an even more consistent velocity response - lovely.

I have also found a really nice setup that plays and sounds very good with and without headphones. It is based on the Bluthner with the ARIUS (143) medium (default) velocity curve and adjusted Pianoteq curve. I'll post the .fxp and velocity curve tomorrow hopefully with demo.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

https://s3.postimg.org/be3n2tudb/IMG_5275.jpg

Sorry for the delay all,

image shows method used to level piano.

I'm still checking the velocity curve out.

back later today (hopefully!!!)

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Ok all,

I decided to try the velocity curve calibrator within Pianoteq again. Then I tweaked it and came up with a curve (linear) that enables me to do smooth chromatic scales. Early tests are promising but I need to do further experimentation. However, here's the co-ordinates for anyone who wishes to try it out as-is.

0, 40, 96, 127; 0, 1, 126, 127

Kindest Regards,

Chris

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/file/7wssf8se

My best ARIUS YDP-143 settings to date

I have altered hammer hardness of black notes also as follows

piano 32, mezzo 86, forte 1.72 (where whites are 30, 80 & 1.60)

Velocity curve in PianoTEQ = 0, 53, 85, 127; 0, 32, 96, 127

Hope this helps,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hi All

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/file/9i0pvrtf

link above to .fxp with most even velocity response to date for ARIUS (YDP-143)

No Black/White key adjustment

I hope to post a demo shortly

Kindest Regards

Chris

EDIT:

Apologies for not being more informative in this post. I had a job to do which meant I couldn't complete my post at the time.

I need to check again but I am sure that I have found the best velocity curve setting for smoothest chromatic runs on my ARIUS YDP-143. These chromatic runs are very smooth when listening through headphones or speakers. I must point out that I have created this curve using unison width and unison balance set to the same for each note i.e. the default value for each. This is also the best way to have these settings when creating velocity curves for any other keyboard as it eliminates variations between notes that would make it difficult. I guess it's a bit like using a piece of felt to dampen the outer two strings of each of the tri-cords in the piano tuning scale.

I'm going to create a demo now and will post it as soon as I can,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (12-09-2016 17:14)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbiy07ak02c88...6.wav?dl=0

finally a demo!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6au5m32dzuwl...6.mid?dl=0

and midi file!!!

and fxp file in FXP Corner...

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/file/565a3n18

These are by far the best settings I have discovered for the ARIUS YDP-143. It is also my final offering for the same.
The WAV demo utilises a third party reverb which was saved in the .fxp file. Hopefully this will not cause problems??
I am very happy with the final settings and the piano sounds perfectly even with them. I am not an accomplished
pianist but have done my best with the demo to show the piano's smoothness. Enjoy!

Kindest Regards,

Chris

p.s. feedback would be great if anyone finds the files helpful ; )

Last edited by sigasa (14-09-2016 21:52)