Topic: Visit to music shop to test actions...

Dear all

I decided to visit my local music shop today to test various digital piano actions. I tested them with Pianoteq and silently. Here are my personal findings.

Roland

Ivory Feel G (silent only) - I found this too slow/sluggish
Ivory Feel S (Silent only) - this felt a lot more free
PHA 4 Standard (silent and Pianoteq) - this too felt slow/sluggish
PHA 50 (silent only) - Unfortunately I found this slow/sluggish also

Yamaha

GHS (silent and Pianoteq) - felt the most easy to play and easier to do repetitions than ALL the othe actions tested.
GH (silent and Pianoteq) - a little more solid but at the expense of repetition.
GH3 (silent only) - slow/sluggish
NW (silent and Pianoteq) - a bit more free than the GH3 but not as free as the GHS nor as easy to perform repetitions.

In Conclusion:

The Roland actions I tried were generally heavier and more taxing to play than the Yamaha actions - generally. Maybe with the exception of the Ivory Feel S? (Didn't get to hook it up with Pianoteq).

I've paid a deposit on a Yamaha ARIUS/YDP - 143WH (GHS action)
even though I have more money than needed for the ARIUS, I didn't need to spend more to get my favourite action : )
I shall post a repetition demo when I've finally got the piano.

It might be worth noting that you don't even have to allow the keys on the GHS all the way back up to at rest position before being able to sound the note again despite the advertising for the triple-sensor actions. I shall posted video unless someone else wishes to rise to the challenge with their GHS action!!!???

Re: Visit to music shop to test actions...

sigasa wrote:

It might be worth noting that you don't even have to allow the keys on the GHS all the way back up to at rest position before being able to sound the note again despite the advertising for the triple-sensor actions. I shall posted video unless someone else wishes to rise to the challenge with their GHS action!!!???

If GHS is triple sensor, then that's exactly why you can do repetitions that fast. So that's a given.

Hard work and guts!

The GHS is most certainly not triple sensor, but the top sensor isn't necessarily near the top, in a conventional 2-sensor action. For example, my ancient Kawai MP9000 can repeat when the key is lifted a mere 50%.   Comparing this to my triple sensor Casio PX-330, the Casio can do a legato repeat for a release that is a bit less than 50%, and the top sensor is a bit higher than 50%. (I can dig out the measurements I took if anyone is interested).  I think the legato repeat band of the Casio is quite narrow, and difficult to "find" in a repeatable manner, and, the top sensor of the Casio isn't THAT much higher than the old Kawai. How it compares to a well regulated acoustic grand I'm not sure, so I'm not saying the Casio is necessarily a lot different to an acoustic.

I'd be interested in the measurements of a top Roland action.

Greg.

skip wrote:

The GHS is most certainly not triple sensor, but the top sensor isn't necessarily near the top, in a conventional 2-sensor action. For example, my ancient Kawai MP9000 can repeat when the key is lifted a mere 50%.   Comparing this to my triple sensor Casio PX-330, the Casio can do a legato repeat for a release that is a bit less than 50%, and the top sensor is a bit higher than 50%. (I can dig out the measurements I took if anyone is interested).  I think the legato repeat band of the Casio is quite narrow, and difficult to "find" in a repeatable manner, and, the top sensor of the Casio isn't THAT much higher than the old Kawai. How it compares to a well regulated acoustic grand I'm not sure, so I'm not saying the Casio is necessarily a lot different to an acoustic.

I'd be interested in the measurements of a top Roland action.

Greg.

The Arius YDP-163 is GH3 and has 3 sensors
The Arius YDP-143 is GH and has 2 sensors

Lots of happiness with your new acquisition.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

Sorry, I was unclear regarding triple-sensor hype for repetition. What I meant was that on the YDP-143 DOUBLE SENSOR GHS action, I get easier repetition that I do on any of the other double and/or triple-sensor actions I tried yesterday.

Yes, I will not be able to produce triple-sensor specific legato, true (please bring out a triple sensor GHS, Yamaha!!!), but at least I will have a very responsive, agile and smooth action : )

I seriously advise anyone on the search for a new set of keys to at least try the GHS action with Pianoteq before making your final decision!

Kindest Regards,

Chris

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B4DiaIihK4Q

After more research found a review of the earlier model, the Yamaha YDP-142 by a music teacher. Interesting to say the least!

Kindest Regards,

Chris

In that price range I suggest you also try a Casio PX-*** and an SL88 Grand. The latter is probably the best you'll get for the money.

Last edited by SteveLy (16-06-2016 12:48)
3/2 = 5

I played the YDP-143 at Guitar Center today, and I found the action superior to my PX-160. I wished it had textured keys - not a big deal. And I wished it had the triple sensor.

But it felt very natural to me. I wish they had some other models to try. They just had Casios, cheaper Yamahas and some generic brands.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

Triple sensors are somewhat over-rated and a bit of a marketing hype. They're also a band-aid solution for hammers that are "locked" to the keys: hammers that don't fly off like real piano hammers. (Such "hammers" should really be called levers.) An acoustic piano only has just one sensor per key: the string that knows how hard it's being hit. For a DP I'd take a free flying hammer with two sensors (to measure velocity) over a triple sensor + "locked" hammer mechanism any day.

Last edited by SteveLy (17-06-2016 08:53)
3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

In that price range I suggest you also try a Casio PX-*** and an SL88 Grand. The latter is probably the best you'll get for the money.

I have owned both Casio PX5S and NUMA Nero (TP40WOOD 2 sensor) actions. The Casio is bouncier and noisier than the YDP-142 I tried and harder to perform repetitions despite it being tri-sensored. The NUMA Nero was a great dissappointment as it was let down by very inconsistent velocity responses and because the casework of the Nero was mere plastic, the action twisted easily. This was also somewhat of a problem with the Casio PX5S although velocity response was better. This was one of the reasons I decided to go for my first console piano rather than (portable) slab type. The YDP-142 I tried was very solidly built and the velocity response I could not fault.

Sadly, the SL88 Grand appears to be no more solidly built than the NUMA Nero. I had looked at this but previous experience with Studiologic/Fatar boards (NUMA Nero AND Acuna 88) has really put me off this brand. Sad, because the design of the TP40WOOD in the Nero is excellent - just let down by not to brilliant quality controls. Maybe they've improved? Remains to be seen I think.

I am in no way affiliated nor under the employ nor influence of Yamaha. Neither am I loyal to any brand(s)/manufacturers(s)/company/companies. In fact my first ever 88 note (slab) keyboard was a Yamaha P120S which I liked at first but which developed problems with keys rubbing/binding on the front key guides. I never entertained Yamaha again after that until now. If rubbing/binding should occur on the YDP-143, of which was no evidence on testing, it will be covered under warranty.

Yes I agree regarding tri/3-sensor hype. This is what I was trying to say. I also think that many times digital piano manufacturers attempts to mimic the authentic feel of a true grand piano have resulted in heavy non responsive sluggish actions. The best true grand actions have designs enabling pianists to perform extraordinary feats. For example, I know of an action (there may be more than one?) that utilises magnets to "speed up" it's response.

Finally, four things sold the YDP - 143 to me -

1. Fluidity/consistency of velocity response

2. Ease of repetition

3. Controllability of (and) dynamic range

4. Solid cabinet

I will certainly post a review(s) once I eventually have the piano in my home.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Got a quite discerning friend who's pretty damn happy with SL88 Grand's action. Thought I'd just say it... Myself, I must say I didn't really scout out for keyboard actions... I just know that TP-40L in my Kurzweil PC3K8 is a good "compromise" action, between piano, organ and synth, but it's not good for fast repetitions at all, since the key needs to be over 80% up to retrigger... Way useless.

From what I remember: V-Piano had a terrible feeling action (surface of keys), I didn't like it at all, Kawai MP6 was very decent, but still not easy to do repetitions on (gotta try the higher up models, I like Kawai in general), Yamahas I don't recall the specific models, but it was pretty good too (I think it was one of older Arius models, not sure which one)...

Last edited by EvilDragon (17-06-2016 16:01)
Hard work and guts!

Maybe Studiologic have upped their game, or maybe the triple sensor in the SL88 Grand improves things.

I found that there is just something about the GHS that makes repetition that much easier than most other digital piano actions. It is so free but without being bouncy i.e. the keys come back to a very convincing rest after being played.

I found a video on YouTube of the manager at my local music shop demoing the very ARIUS (YDP - 142 [Cherry] ) that I tested and like so much. I'll post it shortly.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Here's the link

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HhnUkr_93kM

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Yamaha digitals do have lighter, bouncier, faster keys.  I think it's just their style because their acoustics are like that also.  Really good for fast playing -- press down just a bit and you're all the way to the bottom.

I'm just not sure this is a good feature for your regular piano.  Might be better to pick a piano with an action in the middle so if you have to perform on a Steinway with heavy action, you can do the repeats on that also.

Thank you Mossy.

I guess I could practice on my Kawai VPC1 before using a heavier action on a real grand?

However, I don't get to play real pianos often. I just want something I can record with and play through Pianoteq. I think I will enjoy the sounds of the ARIUS too.

Incidentally, has anyone tried or does anyone own and play the YAMAHA P115? Just curious? And if so, how does the action feel on this? I ask with gigging in mind!

Kindest Regards,

Chris

SteveLy wrote:

Triple sensors are somewhat over-rated and a bit of a marketing hype. They're also a band-aid solution for hammers that are "locked" to the keys: hammers that don't fly off like real piano hammers. (Such "hammers" should really be called levers.) An acoustic piano only has just one sensor per key: the string that knows how hard it's being hit. For a DP I'd take a free flying hammer with two sensors (to measure velocity) over a triple sensor + "locked" hammer mechanism any day.

The fact that the hammers "fly off" on a real piano, is, as I understand it, an undesirable characteristic, but unfortunately, quite necessary. It's my understanding that piano manufacturers try to make the point at which the hammers disconnect as late in the key travel as possible, which means when the hammers are as close to the strings as possible. The reason for this is to give the pianist as much control over pianissimo playing as possible.  If this is true, then the main reason to have hammers that disconnect in a DP is if the player wants their DP to behave as closely as possible to an acoustic piano.  If the player doesn't care about having their DP feel exactly the same as an AP, then quite possibly, the current "locked" design is technically superior.  ;^)

Anyway, even if the DP did have escapement (hammers that disconnect), three sensors could still make sense, IF the velocity is measured using the time taken for the hammer or key to move between two points, because we want to take the velocity at the point at which the hammers disconnect, which means two sensors fairly close together at the point of escapement. The top sensor would be fairly high up, because that sensor is then used for the damper - not velocity.  If on the other hand the velocity is taken with pressure sensors, then yes, I guess you'd then only need one other sensor - the damper sensor.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (17-06-2016 23:56)

I have played the SL88 Grand for about half a year, and used it at home and at gigs. I upgraded from the old Studiologic SL990 XP, and agree that the contacts on the old keyboard was not very solid, and they were the reason I needed to upgrade, too unstable.

I am very happy with the SL88, the ivory feeling on the keys and the gereral feeling of playing it reminds me of the real grands and uprights I have played and owned previously. If there is anything in particular you would like to hear about, please ask.

Hardware: Studiologic SL 88s + SL Mixface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Lenovo Yoga I5 Windows 10 Pro
VST host: Cantabile
Other instruments: hammond (GSi VB3 II), saxophone (Selmer), harmonicas (Hohners)

The main issue with the Numa Nero was quality control. Some were bad, some were good. I have one I got second hand and it's not bad at all (I tested it extensively before buying). The keybed is very nice and feels very solid. If you get a good one it's well worth it because second hand they're very cheap (no doubt because of all the now well known problems with QC).

Hopefully Fatar/Studiologic have pulled their finger out for the SL88 Grand and did it properly. One thing though is that it's still using standard MIDI (128 levels, 0 to 127), not high-res, which in this day and age shows a lack of attention to detail. It's not German engineering, it's Italian engineering. I think of it and Fatar/SL as a company as the Alfa Romeo of DPs: beautiful, elegant but not without its flaws and occasional disasters. But I've only heard/read good things about the SL88-G so far.

Last edited by SteveLy (18-06-2016 16:59)
3/2 = 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boUE-rT...ture=share

Found some playing this piece on a Yamaha P95! Just need to check the action model...

Yes, GHS!!!

And so is this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR-hGy3...ture=share

This one is the GHS in the Yamaha P115...

The GHS action is not very good IMO. It's a cheaper clunkier version of the GH that's been around for ages.

All the P-models used to have GH action till relatively recently. GHS was created to reduce cost. In the current line-up, the P-255 with GH and not GHS action is the only one worth getting. The P-95 or P-115 may be tempting because of the cheaper price but you'd be much better off with a second hand P-140 or P-155 with GH action.

The P-140/155 may be getting on in years a bit, but for the money they're way better than any modern keyboard, if you get a good one. And it's not hard to find near as-new ones dirt cheap (ie few $100). People would buy them for their kids to practice on. And the kid would not practice so the keyboard should be as good as new. They are much more solidly built than the current P-series apart from the P-255.

I have a P-140 I bought for my sister but she played it maybe 10 hours total. It's not my fave KB but it's still a very capable controller for Pianoteq. I'd be lucky to get $AU500/$US300 for it because of its age and because of the cheaper newer GHS models. But in terms of what it does it's worth a lot more, which is why I haven't sold it.

Last edited by SteveLy (18-06-2016 17:17)
3/2 = 5

Hi SteveLy

My first board was a P120 (S). It was very solidly built. I do like the GH(E) GH3 GH3X actions have a more solid feel - more towards the 'wooden key' feel of a real piano - than the GHS action and I must agree, the GHS doesn't feel like a 'real' piano. In fact, I went into town to the music shop today as it happens to pay the balance on the YDP - 143 WH. While I was there, I had a play on several Yamahas. There was a Yamaha Digital Grand with a GH3X Action which, with the lid, onboard speaker system etc., felt lovely to play. It was £3000+ but it was good. I tried another piano with GH3 action and tha felt nice to play and I tried repetitions on this action and it wasn't too bad. When I went back to play the GHS though, repetitions were much easier.

It must be to do with the action design in terms of timing and positioning of the sensors in relation to the action.

The ivory feel on the more expensive YDP - 163 is vey nice (GH3) I must admit. As I say, I'll review more thoroughly in a week or so when the piano arrives. I'll be able to try it through Pianoteq's many and varied instruments.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

skip wrote:

The fact that the hammers "fly off" on a real piano, is, as I understand it, an undesirable characteristic, but unfortunately, quite necessary.

I'm sure a competent player can adapt to just about any keyboard, but I found the flying hammer / escapement mechanism on acoustic pianos something very pleasing from an early age. I grew up with it so I'm very used to it and feel it's one of the things that makes a good acoustic piano special.

Re repeated notes: catching the hammer on the return and sending it flying back is a lot of fun and gives me a sense of connection with the instrument. But as an adult I've also learnt to appreciate other styles of keyboards. I love some synth actions eg the Nord Electros, and also enjoy playing accordion (which just uses levers on springs) and pipe organ (esp Baroque style all-mechanical ones).

DPs without proper escapement tend to leave me wanting. But I'm getting used to them slowly. I completed 6th grade as a kid and play at maybe 5th grade level at best these days, so I'm no expert by any measure. I just have my personal preferences as a very amateur musician.

Last edited by SteveLy (18-06-2016 18:31)
3/2 = 5

Hi Chris, you should try a PX-160. It's as cheap as a P-95/115 but IMHO much more playable with better action (including repetition). Of the most popular budget models, i.e., Kawai ES-100, Yamaha P-95/115 and Casio PX-160, the Casio is by far the best. Just my opinion. You've got to try for yourself. But you should at least try one.

Last edited by SteveLy (18-06-2016 18:29)
3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

Hi Chris, you should try a PX-160. It's as cheap as a P-95/115 but IMHO much more playable with better action (including repetition). Of the most popular budget models, i.e., Kawai ES-100, Yamaha P-95/115 and Casio PX-160, the Casio is by far the best. Just my opinion. You've got to try for yourself. But you should at least try one.

Hi SteveLy,

Thank you.

I do like my Casio PX5S but am able to get better repetition with the GHS action.

Yes, the Casio action is very, very good. And the midi implementation also. I will be in a better position to compare both the GHS and Casio actions when the piano arrives. I'll keep you all posted,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Sorry I missed/forgot you already said you've had a PX5S. Sounds like you've done your research and found the GHS to work best for you. Good luck with it and yes please do tell how you like it once you had a chance to play it for a while.

Last edited by SteveLy (18-06-2016 21:42)
3/2 = 5

Thank you SteveLy

Will do,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hi all,

I'm still (impatiently) waiting for the YDP - 143! I haven't forgotten about reviewing it.

In the mean time however, I've contacted the head of VaxMidi as I am interested in the new Open Source Vax Midi Controller also. Looks absolutely amazing on paper but I'd love to try it!!!

Back soon,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Well... said ARIUS YDP-143 shall be arriving tomorrow.

Report to follow...

Kindest Regards

Chris

It's here!

Far exceeds my expectations!

Report later (grandsons birthday!)

Kindest Regards

Chris

sigasa,

it would be interesting for me, which velocity-range your YDP-143 has with its default / power-on velocity-curve (ppp to fff).

groovy wrote:

sigasa,

it would be interesting for me, which velocity-range your YDP-143 has with its default / power-on velocity-curve (ppp to fff).

I will check tomorrow groovy,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

sigasa wrote:
groovy wrote:

sigasa,

I will check tomorrow groovy,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

OK. Groovy, ppp to fff can be achieved using the medium (default) velocity curve of the YDP-143, but only unrealistically in the sense that in normal playing one can normally only achieve between approximately 35, 0 and 105, 127. I have not created a custom PianoTEQ velocity curve using the medium keyboard curve.

I have however created a provisional velocity curve in PianoTEQ for use with hard YDP-143's velocity curve.

Here it is

Velocity = [0, 35, 86, 127; 0, 1, 126, 127]

Hope this helps.

Now, on to a 'first impressions' review of the YAMAHA ARIUS YDP-143WH

Here goes,

Keyboard touch:

Very first impression is of a shallower key dip than the VPC1 or PX5S which takes a bit of adjusting to. It's a long time since I owned a P120S Yamaha Stage Piano so I had forgotten the feel. I am not sure whether the key dip is actually shallow in reality or whether it is a sound/feel experience, but I do think it IS physical - I'll check up on this.

The key touch marries very well with the Yamaha's on-board sounds and you can really 'dig in'. Nice. I tried to mimic this when creating a custom velocity curve for use in PianoTEQ (see above).

Key materials seem of a good quality. the white keys while being shiny do not exhibit the same amount of tackiness as the YDP-143 and by tacky I mean difficulty in sliding. Yamaha's ivory simulation is the best for this, but for the price I really can't complain.

I have to go now, back later (sorry),

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hello sigasa,

thank you! If I understand you correctly, the native velocity range of the  YDP-143 is around 35 - 105 (between played ppp and fff). This means a resolution of 70 steps (at best), which is just 55%  of the maximum 7bit-MIDI-Resolution (0 - 127).

I have to admit, that's a bit disappointing for me, as I'm always hoping to find better solutions than the one I have myself. My elderly Kawai ES3 action has a limited native velocity-range also (25 - 104).

Your description of the Yamaha GHS action interested me, because sometimes I'm thinking of assembling a keyboard just for the vintage Electro Pianos in Pianoteq  (Rhodes, Wurly etc.). These benefit a lot of a fast, light-hammerweighted action and are worth the best dynamic resolution one can get (in my opinion). Ahem, and (as a one-trick-pony) it shouldn't be too expensive.

PS: And if a potential candidate lacks those ebony/ivory fakes, the better

Hi Groovy,

You a right in thinking that a straight line between 35, 0 and 105, 127 is very limited, especially in light of the new high resolution midi found on Casio's and others. I will however experiment with a curve that spans the entire x axis.

I've revised my straight line curve which is now

0, 0; 34, 1; 85, 126; 127, 127;

Very limited but useable. Can dig in.

First impressions continued...

Very, very well built. Solid and sturdy. No sign of movement at any velocity. Lovely white finish and marked attention to detail. Very good value for £619GBP. Optional wireless midi adapter available for use with an app to control all sounds and options of the piano. I have the app on my iPhone but have not yet bought the adapter.

Very responsive action. Not bouncy though! Can repeat nicely. A little bit of a shame that Yamaha omitted high resolution midi. Mind you I didn't expect it at this price point!

Putting it together was easy. It went together perfectly. Just need a hand to lift the keyboard section onto the stand. Not as heavy as I thought it would be.

Velocity response whilst not perfect is very good. Nothing jumps out like on some keyboards. The onboard sounds are pleasing to play and it feels good with PianoTEQ.

I'll write more tomorrow.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hi all

After further playing / testing I realise that for me personally this is not the best for pure piano work. The fact that one can't repeat a note without a note off in between is quite frustrating after having had a tri sensor Casio. I would advise intermediate-advanced players to look elsewhere.

Any questions welcome,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

... However, I have been working on velocity curves for the 143 and have found an option with a wide dynamic range but also very smooth and even key to key. I'll post it after I've had a rest - I'm quite knackered!

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (06-07-2016 11:56)

sigasa wrote:

... However, I have been working on velocity curves for the 143 and have found an option with a wide dynamic range but also very smooth and even key to key. I'll post it after I've had a rest - I'm quite knackered!

Kindest Regards,

Chris

0, 32, 95, 127; 0, 1, 126, 127

I believe I used the Medium (Default) curve on the 143.
But I will double check that.

I've been playing the 143 for some time since finding this curve. It might be simple but it really plays nicely for me. I can get really quiet very naturally. I may tweak it later simply to see if I can improve it, but as it stands I must admit I do like it a lot. Certainly makes the 143 a lot more playable.

Hope somebody finds this helpful. If anyone has any thoughts or is able to tweak the curve so it performs even better, feel free to edit as you wish. I'll post the present curve in the velocity curve forum also.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hi all,

Yea, the curve in my previous post is for use with Medium/Normal/Default curve on 143

Kindest Regards,

Chris

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103...Chopin.wav

learning Chopin's 'Raindrop' Prelude on the 143 with the last velocity curve posted.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hi all,

Just finished another day of tweaking. I have been playing a new curve (not majorly different from the last one) but need to check it tomorrow as it's not far off midnight here in the UK.

Anyhow, here's the curve

0, 31/32*, 90, 127; 0, 1, 126, 127

* mouse over this point shows either 31 or 32 depending on mouse position relative to the point. Not sure why?

Again, need to check curve when not so tired.

Am now really enjoying playing the 143 after nearly 2 weeks of owning it. I've adjusted to the shallower touch and actually quite like it.

Anyway, I'm off to noddy land now to catch some zeds.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Late again all!

0, 28, 99, 127; 0, 1, 126, 127

Enjoy.

See you tomorrow,

Good night,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

0, 37, 93, 127; 0, 1, 126, 127

Better pianossimos. Just tweaking now.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hi all,

Seems like the curve (offset straight line) is simpler than I thought. I have been working today on the black key / white key balance for the 143. I tried working with mezzo hammer hardness but I couldn't find a satisfactory compensation within the mezzo range so I decided to look at adjusting forte hammer hardness. Initial indications appear to show that an increase of the black keys' hammer hardness by 6 (from 1.60 to 1.66) achieves best results. I do need to check this though. The velocity curve used with this voicing adjustment is as follows,

0, 32, 96, 127; 0, 1, 126, 127

I'll do some testing soon.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (14-07-2016 16:29)

Hi all,

Done more work / testing. 1.50 seems better for blacks and I've changed the curve also. I'll do more and post soon.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hi sigasa,

I visualized your iterations. It is a symbol, how difficult it can be to find a satisfying velocity response for a given keyboard action. Even with one of the most simple "curve" shapes (four x,y-pairs) the alternatives are endlessly. From my own experience I know, all those differences are clearly audible. And that is "boon and bane" (hopefully the right english words)

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160715/mntnwcd4.png

groovy wrote:

Hi sigasa,

I visualized your iterations. It is a symbol, how difficult it can be to find a satisfying velocity response for a given keyboard action. Even with one of the most simple "curve" shapes (four x,y-pairs) the alternatives are endlessly. From my own experience I know, all those differences are clearly audible. And that is "boon and bane" (hopefully the right english words)

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160715/mntnwcd4.png

You're absolutely right Groovy. All audibly different. I'll keep trying though ; )

Kindest Regards,

Chris

We say 'swings and roundabouts'!

Last edited by sigasa (15-07-2016 20:53)

Hi all,

By the way Groovy, thank you for your graph. I will try a line down the middle of your graph i.e. a kind of mean average of curves, and see how that performs (unless you or someone else has already done so??? ; )

I do have a curve I'm testing at present that works with mezzo hammer hardness of the black keys raised to 1.66. This curve and voicing adjustment work well together.

Mezzo black keys = 1.66

Velocity curve 0, 32, 96, 127; 0, 1, 126, 127

Dejavu???

Kindest Regards,

Chris

sigasa wrote:

Hi all,

Seems like the curve (offset straight line) is simpler than I thought. I have been working today on the black key / white key balance for the 143. I tried working with mezzo hammer hardness but I couldn't find a satisfactory compensation within the mezzo range so I decided to look at adjusting forte hammer hardness. Initial indications appear to show that an increase of the black keys' hammer hardness by 6 (from 1.60 to 1.66) achieves best results. I do need to check this though. The velocity curve used with this voicing adjustment is as follows,

0, 32, 96, 127; 0, 1, 126, 127

I'll do some testing soon.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Silly me, thought this rang a bell!!! Still, may prove I'm on the right track???

Last edited by sigasa (17-07-2016 13:49)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3ksksv7q7gpq...3.pdf?dl=0

????