Re: Pianoteq 5 impressions

Strings can also get some rusty, ans some piano  technicians use solvents to remove the rusty, making the string revestments (spiral) thinner too.

Interestinmg to think if the agging parameter of pianoteq also simulates the thinning of strings.

kalessin wrote:

Also, there might be the age of the strings. As most 'real' pianos will in general not have brand-new strings most of the time, it would be interesting to know the influence of aging strings. The strings suffer from inelastic deformation (the same happens with guitar or violin strings), meaning they loose their tension. This is the main reason any instrument using strings has to be regularly re-tuned, AFAIK. But the inelastic deformation also more or less causes the strings to become slightly thinner and (as far as I know) slightly 'softer'. Less rigidity should mean softer partials and increased harmonicity, which could in my opinion be one reason (apart from its hammers' felts) an older piano might sound a bit 'thinner' and also less bright and harsh than a brand-new one; I guess Philippe will know more about whether this is a real effect.

Last edited by Beto-Music (02-08-2014 15:07)

About Yamaha U1TA PE:

PunBB bbcode test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...9IgDeN2GMc

http://www.delamar.de/instrumente/yamaha-u1ta-23453/

It have two transducers as you ca see.  But I wonder if the transducers can get the high frequencies very well. I imagined a transducer for high would be diferente, but appears that both transducers are the same kind.

Kawai use one single transducer, but requires speakers for the high frequencies. So I imagined that the metalic sounds of piano high frequencies could not be recreated very well just with transducers on soundboard as a real piano generate sounds not just from soundboard but also from strings vibrating in the air and the harp.

How it would sound connected to pianoteq, since the soundbaord vibration would also affect the iron frame harp and the strings (a liitle even with silencer) ???
Unless Modartt creates a pianoteq upright preset (specially for this Yamaha model) to send more the sound adequate for soundboard vibrations and less for the sounds for harp.

Last edited by Beto-Music (02-08-2014 16:00)

Do we know if it does have an audio-in socket? And does it send or receive MIDI? If so, this could be an interesting development. Probably a tad expensive, however.

I wonder about the two transducers, too--one on the low bass side and one on the upper treble side, judging from the illustration you posted.

Uhhhnnn... ?  Does Yamaha also have a transacoustic grand???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIgDExmschQ

Also transducer activated ????

Jake Johnson wrote:

Do we know if it does have an audio-in socket? And does it send or receive MIDI? If so, this could be an interesting development. Probably a tad expensive, however.

I wonder about the two transducers, too--one on the low bass side and one on the upper treble side, judging from the illustration you posted.

Yes, it has audio and  MIDI IN and OUT. Here are specs:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-...mode=model

Last edited by Skanter (02-08-2014 18:09)

Both upright and grand transacoustic models were at NAAM 2014.  The upright began shipping in April the grand will begin shipping in November.

Bill

Last edited by billd (02-08-2014 19:28)

If you can play on an acoustic at home, what are the benefits of transacoustic technology?

stamkorg wrote:

If you can play on an acoustic at home, what are the benefits of transacoustic technology?

Good question. Layering acoustic with other, digital sounds is one. Using digital piano at low volume and as silent piano with Yamaha built in samples, PTQ or other digital pianos on computer. Use digital when acoustic is out of tune? Perhaps the upright action with a great digital grand sound will be superior to upright acoustic? I can attest that having a real piano action when playing digital sounds is a blessing, far better than digital piano actions. I'd like to try this transacoustic beast myself, will go to showroom when I have time.

Here are Yamaha's selling points:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-...mode=model

In any case, 17K for a Yamaha U1 upright with this technology is pushing it, to say the least. A U1 is about 7-8K new.

Last edited by Skanter (03-08-2014 01:05)

Yamaha it's a fine brand, have good models, have reaserch about new technologies...

But... It's not the best piano brand of the world, or between the best 4 brands...

If you plug Ivory(just  for example) in this tranacustic grand, you will get some not right, I supose.  Ivory it's the recorded piano sound, after all things got through piano's nature elements, soundboard, harp, piano body resonance (lid, and alllateral curved estructure).  The transacustic grand have a iron frame harp, have the piano body, so the Ivory sound will get trhough theses things.

Pianoteq technology it's the ideal for a piano body with soubndboard, because they can create a model or preset with more or less of some piano elements. For example reduce or remove the piano body fraction of sound.

Last edited by Beto-Music (03-08-2014 02:11)

Beto-Music wrote:

Yamaha it's a fine brand, have good models, have reaserch about new technologies...

But... It's not the best piano brand of the world, or between the best 4 brands...

If you plug Ivory(just  for example) in this tranacustic grand, you will get some not right, I supose.  Ivory it's the recorded piano sound, after all things got through piano's nature elements, soundboard, harp, piano body resonance (lid, and alllateral curved estructure).  The transacustic grand have a iron frame harp, have the piano body, so the Ivory sound will get trhough theses things.

Pianoteq technology it's the ideal for a piano body with soubndboard, because they can create a model or preset with more or less of some piano elements. For example reduce or remove the piano body fraction of sound.

I think you are saying that Pianoteq would be better than Ivory (sampled) playing through transacoustic system as it is more flexible. I'm not sure how it all works, but I know that sounds coming through the transducer soundboard also affect the harmonics of the acoustic strings, creating some type of hybrid sound.

Skanter wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

I think you are saying that Pianoteq would be better than Ivory (sampled) playing through transacoustic system as it is more flexible. I'm not sure how it all works, but I know that sounds coming through the transducer soundboard also affect the harmonics of the acoustic strings, creating some type of hybrid sound.

Yes, it seems as though one would have to reduce the level of some parameters in Pianoteq, or there would be a doubling of the sound. Or a new program would have to be created for working with this "transacoustic" piano. It occurs to me that it might just need to generate hammer strike sounds and brief sine waves that would then cause the piano to do the rest of the work. Not sure that would be right, however, since the sine waves wouldn't generate enough force to move the bridge--the entire string-to-bridge-to-sound board energy interaction would be bypassed, since the vibrations would go directly to the sound board via the transducers.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (04-08-2014 19:42)

Jake Johnson wrote:

Yes, it seems as though one would have to reduce the level of some parameters in Pianoteq, or there would be a doubling of the sound. Or a new program would have to be created for working with this "transacoustic" piano.

In my book such a transducer system is just another type of speaker, albeit maybe not a very linear one. So the equalizer of Pianoteq should be our friend there. The damped strings would resonate, but not too much; this is probably a quite subtle effect and this will probably just 'enrich' the sound somewhat. Probably the piano action will lift the dampers even in 'silent mode', so one will have also sympathetic resonance of the undamped strings, which will be noticeable, but not sound out of place when the digital signal is also a piano sound.

It occurs to me that it might just need to generate hammer strike sounds and brief sine waves that would then cause the piano to do the rest of the work. Not sure that would be right, however, since the sine waves wouldn't generate enough force to move the bridge--the entire string-to-bridge-to-sound board energy interaction would be bypassed, since the vibrations would go directly to the sound board via the transducers.

No, that's not right. In a real piano the thing vibrating is the string, and certainly not in a simple sine pattern. Also a short burst will not do the trick; if it did, damping the sound by placing a felt damper on the string wouldn't work. Physically speaking, the system of string(s) and sound board vibrates in a so-called eigenmode (or more correctly, in a quite complex superposition of eigenmodes). So the string and the resonator together produce the sound since they can vibrate freely. When using the transducer, the sound board would perform a so-called 'forced vibration', that is the result is completely determined by the transducer and thus the dgital waveform. In the forced scenario, resonances determine the (non-)linearity of the system, so they are not exactly unimportant, of course, and we still have the aforementioned sympathetic resonances of undamped strings.

Last edited by kalessin (04-08-2014 20:16)
Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

All the common piano softwares are "calibrated" to play thru speakers or headphones.
This transducer technology changes the game. But finally maybe it doesn't change to much.
For example, the Kawai Ca65 and Ca95 share the same samples, the same sound engine, they are identical except that the Ca95 has a transducer on the back...
Not sure the transducer has really a great impact on the sound itself but I think it gives more amplitude, more life to the sound.
It would be interesting to try pianoteq comparatively on these 2 models.

Yes, the major contribution might just be that the sound would emanate from a wider field, recreating the sense of sitting at a real piano.

I don't know why it crossed my mind that sine waves would work. Of course not, since the strings are being circumvented. I wonder how the upright version will react to the various models in Pianoteq and for that matter, sample libraries. Clearly, its own physical qualities are going to constrain the sound. Vibrations from a Steinway D moved to a smaller sound board, with shorter strings vibrating sympathetically, creates what? So only upright libraries will sound best on it, and one would have to have the grand version for grand models and libraries?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (05-08-2014 17:21)

Jake Johnson wrote:

Yes, the major contribution might just be that the sound would emanate from a wider field, recreating the sense of sitting at a real piano.

I don't know why it crossed my mind that sine waves would work. Of course not, since the strings are being circumvented. I wonder how the upright version will react to the various models in Pianoteq and for that matter, sample libraries. Clearly, its own physical qualities are going to constrain the sound. Vibrations from a Steinway D moved to a smaller sound board, with shorter strings vibrating sympathetically, creates what? So only upright libraries will sound best on it, and one would have to have the grand version for grand models and libraries?

I think the outcome of using PTQ or any virtual piano on a transacoustic model is very hard to predict.

DonSmith wrote:
Skanter wrote:

...... I hear people complain about the brightness and metallic overtones in Pianoteq, but that's what I hear whenever I've heard a real acoustic piano. I think its about right in Pianoteq version 5.....

Sorry - I'm not sure who made the above extracted quote - but I have a comment, based on my background in classical and jazz piano, on how the comment applies to the Bluthner model.

I agree with you that some acoustic pianos (especially those used in pop) sound bright and metallic. These qualities can be effective for pop, jazz, and even for certain classical music. However, many if not most of the finest classical concert pianos seldom sound shrill and ugly when they are used to play the standard repertoire, even if they can be made to sound bright and metallic. I do not expect the goal of modelling the Bluthner is to create solely a virtual pop music piano since there are already several other PT models which do that. The PT5  Bluthner is decidedly a major step forward from V4.5 for bass and mid range notes. However, based on my favorite preset so far (I prefer Bluthner under Stereo without mikes - this avoids the "recorded" sound - and pretty much copy the other settings given in the D4 Spacious preset, then add some PhoenixVerb reverb) some of the treble range is lacking in body and, often at high volumes, can sound a bit like a toy piano as others have pointed out. The treble does not compete with the bass and mid. I have had to revoice a couple of my compositions to avoid the treble range. Now, PT is by far the best virtual piano I have played - far better than Ivory in my opinion although I have no issue with others who disagree with me - but I think that if in a forthcoming PT5.5 the treble can made equal to the existing bass and mid, and the existing bass and mid left as they are, the Bluthner instrument will have reached an even higher level - a level at which it can just about compete with the real thing.

honjr wrote:

[

However, many if not most of the finest classical concert pianos seldom sound shrill and ugly when they are used to play the standard repertoire, even if they can be made to sound bright and metallic. I do not expect the goal of modelling the Bluthner is to create solely a virtual pop music piano since there are already several other PT models which do that.

I wish to tell you that the finest classical concert pianos DO sound shrill and ugly, at least under the hands of someone who is not used to playing them.  I recall a real experience I had at a recent NAMM show involving a Bechstein 9' grand:

I was playing very quietly the opening measures of Beethoven's Piano Concerto #4 in G, with eyes closed, and reveling in the beautiful tonal palette afforded by the particular Bechstein I was playing.  Suddenly, to my side, another NAMM visitor sat down and literally BANGED on another 9' Bechstein.  Well Sir!  I am able to speak from firsthand experience that the other 9' Bechstein sounded HORRIBLE!! UGLY!!!  METALLIC!!!!  Why?  That's because this buffoon was essentially slapping the keys, and the piano was beautifully "articulating" this person's intentions -- not pretty in my estimation.

Of course, this was not the point you were making in your original statement -- you clearly did state that the finest pianos do not sound shrill when playing standard repertoire.  Agreed.  However, this other "performer" must have been used to banging on cheap electronic keyboards, because he certainly did not have the chops to make use of a precision-crafted instrument.

Cheers,

Joe

jcfelice88keys wrote:
honjr wrote:

[

However, many if not most of the finest classical concert pianos seldom sound shrill and ugly when they are used to play the standard repertoire, even if they can be made to sound bright and metallic. I do not expect the goal of modelling the Bluthner is to create solely a virtual pop music piano since there are already several other PT models which do that.

I wish to tell you that the finest classical concert pianos DO sound shrill and ugly, at least under the hands of someone who is not used to playing them.  I recall a real experience I had at a recent NAMM show involving a Bechstein 9' grand:

I was playing very quietly the opening measures of Beethoven's Piano Concerto #4 in G, with eyes closed, and reveling in the beautiful tonal palette afforded by the particular Bechstein I was playing.  Suddenly, to my side, another NAMM visitor sat down and literally BANGED on another 9' Bechstein.  Well Sir!  I am able to speak from firsthand experience that the other 9' Bechstein sounded HORRIBLE!! UGLY!!!  METALLIC!!!!  Why?  That's because this buffoon was essentially slapping the keys, and the piano was beautifully "articulating" this person's intentions -- not pretty in my estimation.

Of course, this was not the point you were making in your original statement -- you clearly did state that the finest pianos do not sound shrill when playing standard repertoire.  Agreed.  However, this other "performer" must have been used to banging on cheap electronic keyboards, because he certainly did not have the chops to make use of a precision-crafted instrument.

Cheers,

Joe

Right, we're not talking about banging here, we're talking about playing under very controlled conditions (i.e., 127 velocity layers under complete control of a DAW, even more than Rudolph Serkin used - he claimed he could consciously control about 32 volume levels, according to a Curtis-trained pianist I knew), and about a limited pitch range of a newer version (5) of PT Bluthner. I revoiced a couple pieces to a lower range using the same midi velocity levels as before revoicing and the problem went away.

pjb12345 wrote:

I'm still in a state of amazement (it's increasing, in fact) as I continue to play with v5. The D4 is simply a dream come true. My own prisitine Steinway concert grand!!

I recorded this little improvisation to illustrate how extraordinarily expressive an instrument this is. The Rachmaninov-esque textures are brought to life by its magnificent tone. Right across the full range of the instrument (pitch and dynamics), there is beauty and living warmth. The bloom on the tone right through the entire decay of every note is wonderful. As the sustained sound evolves, it seems to live and breathe and I'm in love with it! It must be a truly beautiful instrument that has been modelled here! I've performed on concert grand Steinways but I don't think I've played one as delicious as this. Thank you all at Pianoteq for this...

https://soundcloud.com/phil-best/improvisation-119

This is seriously the best demo I've heard of PT 5.

Soulful playing and admirable sound production goes a long way. Thank you sir.
PT guys you need to advertise your product with this improvisation

Also this is a really interesting thread. I'm not even a PT user but I love how mathematics can approximate reality

EDIT : re-listening to Phil-best's improvisation 119 I couldn't help noticing the high notes at 1:37 feel a bit unnatural sounding, like plastic-sounding. Kinda like an e-piano. But other than that I couldn't have guessed it was not a real piano in a blind test

Last edited by Boulotaur2024 (22-11-2014 13:19)

Boulotaur2024 wrote:
pjb12345 wrote:

I'm still in a state of amazement (it's increasing, in fact) as I continue to play with v5. The D4 is simply a dream come true. My own prisitine Steinway concert grand!!

I recorded this little improvisation to illustrate how extraordinarily expressive an instrument this is. The Rachmaninov-esque textures are brought to life by its magnificent tone. Right across the full range of the instrument (pitch and dynamics), there is beauty and living warmth. The bloom on the tone right through the entire decay of every note is wonderful. As the sustained sound evolves, it seems to live and breathe and I'm in love with it! It must be a truly beautiful instrument that has been modelled here! I've performed on concert grand Steinways but I don't think I've played one as delicious as this. Thank you all at Pianoteq for this...

https://soundcloud.com/phil-best/improvisation-119

This is seriously the best demo I've heard of PT 5.

Soulful playing and admirable sound production goes a long way. Thank you sir.
PT guys you need to advertise your product with this improvisation

Also this is a really interesting thread. I'm not even a PT user but I love how mathematics can approximate reality

EDIT : re-listening to Phil-best's improvisation 119 I couldn't help noticing the high notes at 1:37 feel a bit unnatural sounding, like plastic-sounding. Kinda like an e-piano. But other than that I couldn't have guessed it was not a real piano in a blind test

You said "I'm not even a PT user but I love how mathematics can approximate reality",  then went on to make negative comments.   Just why did you make this post?

Ian

I don't have any problem with that post... looks like he wanted to correct his first impression, and ends saying "...other than that I couldn't have guessed it was not a real piano in a blind test". Don't see it as a negative comment

Beemer wrote:

You said "I'm not even a PT user but I love how mathematics can approximate reality",  then went on to make negative comments.   Just why did you make this post?

Ian

I think negative comments are useful. Its like an honest teacher preparing a student to stand alone. The blind test is the true state of affairs, since all pianos will sound different anyway.
Those notes at 1:37 sounded like a piano to me. When listening or reading about discussions on piano sounds, I've often wonder how we hear frequencies when we get older. Especially what we subject our hearing to.

The high notes, in Phill's 119 improvistaion at 1:37, sounds very bright, more bright than what most people are used to in real pianos.  Hammers very had, in short worlds.
But it's not such described plastic artificial, but mostly just what is suposed to get with very hard hammers.

The sounds it's overal very realistic. I didn't expected that Modartt would reach this level of sound naturality so early.

Last edited by Beto-Music (24-11-2014 02:23)

Temperament wrote:
ManchesterRambler wrote:

A bit off-topic, but relevant to the general theme of software/hardware upgrades -

Temperament (post 134) wrote:

"HW upgrade: Audio interface: from Focusrite 6i6 to RME Babyface was a markable improvement (the Babyface is about the same quality level as my old and much cheaper EMU0404USB was.)"

As someone who continues to use an old-ish EMU0404USB can I ask what prompted you to upgrade? I have had to download ASIO4all version 2 to get the thing to produce sound from PT4 onwards, which may have been due to my switching at the time to a Windows 8 Core i7 laptop. Despite the use, (I think), of the generic driver, it continues to sound great, esp. with PT5.

Is anyone else still using this venerable sound card and, if so, have you had any problems getting it to work with post- windows 7 operating systems/more recent versions of PT?

Partly my reason for asking is because when loading PT 4 then 5 the thing produced no sound until I loaded Asio4all v.2 and rotated through various parameters in the device options dialogue, but I have no real idea what the problem was and what I did to cure it, which is a pain. Creative no longer provide support for the thing so I'm working with an old beta driver loaded but also Asio4all - but I have no real idea which is in use. How to tell?

I looked at the price of a Babyface which would at least have current drivers and on going support, presumably, and, er, ouch. Any hints/tips/experiences welcome as the EMU remains a good soundcard IMHO.

Hi, the reason for wanting to update was manyfold.

My PC (WIN7) was never stable; I did want the flexibility to output to more than one pair of boxes to experiment with; my sound system was generally flawed, it happened probably due to a confict between some 32bit and 64bit installed drivers. (Resulting in degraded sound quality within Pianoteq standalone, which became markedly better when using a DAW like Reaper.)

And I did want to get an answer to the basic question: how the audio quality of the used components and built in effects was a limiting factor responsible for  the shortcomings of PTQ4.5 were to be attributed to. (It was mainly the poor attack which sounded too artificial, synthetic ).

Pianoteq 5 and the PRO version with the 192bit internal proceeding engine performance option brought the answer: it's components are flawless and of excellent quality, even with the old EMU0404.

I have with Windows 7 and WIN8.1 no extra stability problems with this sound card, but the drivers are legacy ones and for home use only, one shouldn't use it in a live performance.

By the way the ASUS Xonar Essence One has now and upgrade (mkII) which I am tempted to try out as a real replacement for this old EMU. (The RME goes then to my son.)

EDIT #2: The most important thing I forgot to mention why I need a replacement gear: the EMU is broken after some 5-6 Years of heavy usage, the attenuation knob of the EMU has got losen, so noisy that it is practically unusable (without damage to the  speakers.) It can be used only as the default audio equipment with the built-in windows volume control.

Asio4ALL has it's own limitation, beside of the inferior sound incomparison to the factory driver.

EDIT: I Just tried it for fresh comparison to formulate it in an authetentic way: yes ASIO4ALL is useable, it is ways better with a decent audio interface (+ speaker) than most built in audio in PCs. Nonetheless, the clear edge has the native driver over ASIO4ALL, very audibly.

Hi, I am returning to Pianoteq after not having used it for a few years. I upgraded to version 5 and can't get it to work on a brand new i7 laptop running windows 8. The emu 0404 doesn't seem to want to communicate. When I play the attached keyboard, nothing happens. If I mouse-click on the image of the keyboard on the pianoteq interface it does make a good sound, though. Oddly, on my very old centrino laptop running windows 7 I can play, but only for a few seconds - it starts cracking after a few big chords. Increasing the buffer seems to allow me to play (a bit) longer before the cracking starts, but in any case the lag is too great to make that a reasonable option. I tried adding asio4all but when I choose it in the pianoteq interface the only difference is that when I click on the keyboard image the sound emanates from the laptop's speakers rather than from the monitor attached to the emu 0404 and there's still no response when i actually play the physical keyboard.
Sorry for the rambling, but if anyone could suggest something to get my equipment to play nicely together, I'd be very grateful.

andrewf wrote:

Hi, I am returning to Pianoteq after not having used it for a few years. I upgraded to version 5 and can't get it to work on a brand new i7 laptop running windows 8. The emu 0404 doesn't seem to want to communicate. When I play the attached keyboard, nothing happens. If I mouse-click on the image of the keyboard on the pianoteq interface it does make a good sound, though. Oddly, on my very old centrino laptop running windows 7 I can play, but only for a few seconds - it starts cracking after a few big chords. Increasing the buffer seems to allow me to play (a bit) longer before the cracking starts, but in any case the lag is too great to make that a reasonable option. I tried adding asio4all but when I choose it in the pianoteq interface the only difference is that when I click on the keyboard image the sound emanates from the laptop's speakers rather than from the monitor attached to the emu 0404 and there's still no response when i actually play the physical keyboard.
Sorry for the rambling, but if anyone could suggest something to get my equipment to play nicely together, I'd be very grateful.

Have you properly selected your EMU0404 in ASIO4ALL control pannel ? (Onboard soundcard is checked by default) :
Pianoteq options > Devices, then "show this device's control pannel", and select (and enable) your 0404

Last edited by Gaston (04-01-2015 13:56)

joshuasethcomposer wrote:
Jake Johnson wrote:

Not paraphrasing the problem. Suggesting that you raise the amplitude and experiment with different velocity curves. Version 5 has new pianos, so would it make sense that the previous amplitude and velocity response would sound the same? Granted, some of the new pianos are a continuation of the old, but they are new editions. Arguably, the situation is similar to that of having bought a new sampled instrument--the amplitude and velocity curve might well need to be adjusted to taste.

Again, same midi file = same velocities, and same velocity curves = same velocity responses. Amplitude continually changes, so saying they're different is meaningless. That's why you're inadvertently just paraphrasing the issue instead of making a point; the issue being that PT5 attenuates the sustain (amplitude) more than PT3 or a real piano (which, in my case, I'm pretty damn sure shouldn't have stronger sustain than a Steinway Concert D). *PEAK* amplitude is the same. So the comparison is fair. I did raise the output of PT5 by about 10dB to achieve the same peak output level in this performance. Here's the same snippet without that level adjustment. PT5's waveform is only graphically stretched (within Reaper) to make the comparison easier (PT3 above, PT5 below):

http://s22.postimg.org/bfkk86mw1/pt3.jpg
http://s14.postimg.org/6tnhfsdch/pt5.jpg

Same issue, whether you adjust for peak output or not.

(I'm resurrecting this thread after running across it by accident while searching for something else.) Joshua, a thought occurs: is it possible that a new velocity curve or keyboard calibration would change your results? It is possible that you were naturally assuming that by keeping all of the other variables the same, the change in the model is only the change being heard in your files. But the new model could be more accurate, yet need other adjustments to achieve the desired result. Not trying to continue the argument here. Only noting a possibility.

But my real question is completely different: You mention the decay of an older Chickering, but I don't a mention of a Chickering earlier in this thread. Did I miss the reference, or were you alluding to another thread? I'm not making an academic argument about citations. I recently came into possession of a 1905 Chickering 116. I will not claim that its sustain is equal to that of a Steinway D, but even with old strings, it does have a good sustain. Part of the reason may be that what many people call Chickering baby grand are not all that small--they are a "parlour grand," which is about 6'5" long.

And of course I'm curious--who here has an old Chickering? I would like to compare impressions.

Well, as somebody else excavated this, I'll take opportunity of the situation too

My personal first impressions with Pianoteq were somewhat spoiled as I've been striving for a long time to find some combination of piano model and presets that would sound to my ears the way I would expected real acoustic piano does. As I also have seen how many other users mentioned as a fact that it takes a lot of time to achieve authentic sound in PTQ, it seems to be not just my inexperience with this particular software. It seems these presets are not that optimal as they should be (and that especially big problem for Stage users like me, which has very limited selection of parameters to tweak).

First, I must admit that I always play with my headphones on, so that may affect the result greatly. Many of most "usual" presets, like "daily" sounded somewhat poor in terms of reverberation and overtones to me. It was like clean, synthetic, plastic, dead sound. Adding reverb presets like "Small Studio" or even "Medium Studio" didn't help that much. Only "Large Hall"/"Medium Hall" starting sound, like, "just ok". Clearly not what I would like to hear, though. It wasn't natural, still, or let's say "authentic", or pleasant to the ear.

It took a couple of days of comparing its sound to sound in some recordings on youtube I liked and tweaking "Reverb" and "Delay" effects blindly (I know almost nothing about sound engineering) before I suddenly started to feel that I really like the sound of K2 model. It finally became a real pleasure to play it.

I don't know why it's like that (though, this lack of reverb in these presets made me think PTQ never was prepared really well for those playing in headphones; perhaps when this sound is played by some good acoustic system, and then reverb of room itself is added to it, you don't need that much reverb from the model itself; actually you may even don't want that much reverb from PTQ as it will be TOO much of it after reverb from physical environment will be added). Still, this cannot be called a "soft landing" at all, and I perceive it as a problem of the tool. A lot of things to tweak is great, but being more friendly to total newbies by providing a couple of really well polished presets that sound great both when played back through speakers AND headphones without any additional tweaking certainly would add some marketing value.

Last edited by AlexS (11-07-2016 22:12)

AlexS, I will add a similar view from someone who is trying to achieve the same thing with speakers next to my real piano.  And, as I type this note, I am away on vacation using my Microsoft Surface not with my upright 54" piano (would certainly bump the 50 pound weight limit), but a CME X-Keys 37 and a set of earbuds. 

From my experience, the presets sounds entirely different between earbuds, over-the-ear headphones, speakers pointed towards the player, speakers pointed towards the ceiling, speakers pointed towards each other under my piano's keyboard, etc.

In summary, the presets are extremely dependent on the sound production hardware, and no one at Modartt or even on this forum will likely be able to give you the perfect piano sound that you look for, unless they have both your physical setup as well as your ears and brain.  A variety of presets are available.  Try several until you find one that it close, and tweak from there.  For example, when using the Model B, "Prelude" sounds pretty good with my setup with speakers facing the ceiling and placed to each side of the piano, with the speaker elements out of direct earshot of my ears.  "Gentle" sounds too muffled.  Here on vacation using Alphatronix earbuds, "Prelude" sounds entirely too strident, while "Gentle" is entirely pleasant and playable.

One of the most ear-opening experiences I have had in this realm is visiting Randy's Piano Warehouse in Clearwater, Florida.  There, I got to go up and down the aisles playing the same little bits on literally dozens of used pianos of all makes, ages, sizes, and configurations.  They even had at least 4 Steinway Ms, and each sounded different in timbre from the others, as did the 2 Apollos, multiple Yamahas, Baldwins, etc.

David

- David

Would be an idea to have "headphones" presets, maybe even particularly catering to specific models.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Fleer wrote:

Would be an idea to have "headphones" presets, maybe even particularly catering to specific models.

Dear Fleer - in the meantime, use the Freeze Parameter set up page ( the little square box to the left of the word "Random" at the top of the main GUI) and then select  "Binaural settings" - Doing so will make all of the presets in Pianoteq play in the binaural mode -

Lanny

Thanks LTECpiano!

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2