Topic: Pianoteq 5 impressions

Let's use this to post what you think about it. Being the new features or the new pianos, etc.

Re: Pianoteq 5 impressions

First of all, I was very pleased to find version 5 available this morning!  Installation and registration were very easy and smooth.  I'm sure it will take me a while to tweak the (expanded!) parameters -- particularly the mic settings -- to get things just right for my ears, as it did w/ version 4.5.  But I'm glad that I'm able to run both 4 and 5 simultaneously, in order to do close audio comparisons using the same MIDI files.  Which leads me to my first observation and questions (as a Pianoteq Standard user):

Observation: When I pull up my favorite FXP (a slightly tweaked version of the D4 "Dynamic Jazz 3-mic" available in the FXP Corner), it sounds notably different (and unfortunately, to my ears, less favorable) in v.5 than in v.4.5 -- the sound is a bit "buzzier" and has some higher timbre components that sound more artificial/synthetic to my ears than when I play the same file using 4.5.

Questions:

1. The default mics used in v.5 are perfect omnis.  Are those effectively the same as the one mic option that was used in 4.5? (In other words, I'm trying to eliminate changes in the microphone options as the source of the sound difference.)

2. If the answer to 1 is "yes," then is the clear difference I'm hearing the result of the new soundboard and string models?  (In other words, is the D4 in v.5 basically a newly modeled -- and therefore different -- instrument than the D4 in v.4.5?)

3. If the answer to 2 is "yes," then is the only way to maintain my access to my favorite D4 FXP instrument to keep version 4.5 on my system?

Many, many thanks, Modartt!  I look forward to putting v.5 more fully through its paces.  :-D

Last edited by duggadugdug (21-05-2014 13:26)

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

Hard work and guts!

duggadugdug wrote:

First of all, I was very pleased to find version 5 available this morning!  Installation and registration were very easy and smooth.  I'm sure it will take me a while to tweak the (expanded!) parameters -- particularly the mic settings -- to get things just right for my ears, as it did w/ version 4.5.  But I'm glad that I'm able to run both 4 and 5 simultaneously, in order to do close audio comparisons using the same MIDI files.  Which leads me to my first observation and questions (as a Pianoteq Standard user):

Observation: When I pull up my favorite FXP (a slightly tweaked version of the D4 "Dynamic Jazz 3-mic" available in the FXP Corner), it sounds notably different (and unfortunately, to my ears, less favorable) in v.5 than in v.4.5 -- the sound is a bit "buzzier" and has some higher timbre components that sound more artificial/synthetic to my ears than when I play the same file using 4.5.

An fxp produces a fixed modification of a given instrument. A modification that sounds good on a particular instrument may sound good or bad on another instrument. As the D4 has been significantly changed, some adjustments of your fxp may be required to fit the new model.

Questions:

1. The default mics used in v.5 are perfect omnis.  Are those effectively the same as the one mic option that was used in 4.5? (In other words, I'm trying to eliminate changes in the microphone options as the source of the sound difference.)

Yes.

2. If the answer to 1 is "yes," then is the clear difference I'm hearing the result of the new soundboard and string models?  (In other words, is the D4 in v.5 basically a newly modeled -- and therefore different -- instrument than the D4 in v.4.5?)

Yes.

3. If the answer to 2 is "yes," then is the only way to maintain my access to my favorite D4 FXP instrument to keep version 4.5 on my system?

Of course nothing comes closer to the D4 from Pianoteq 4 than this D4 version 4 itself. But I suggest you give a try to the new D4 and its many presets. My personal (very biased) opinion is that it is much improved and that after a while one does not want to go back to the old version.

Many, many thanks, Modartt!  I look forward to putting v.5 more fully through its paces.  :-D

EDIT: just saw after posting that ED already answered, this is because his answers are much shorter

Installed v5 few minutes ago! Very first impression: Modartt fixed treble range!!! Now it sounds splendid! Wow, I love the way treble notes fade now! Thank you Modartt! Bluthner is now near perfection!
Continuing to investigate v5

Last edited by Kridlatec (21-05-2014 14:46)
Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

Yes.

Thank you for the prompt answers!

So would the architecture of v.5 have allowed you to keep the D4 instrument from v.4.5, and add the newly modeled version as a "D5" instrument option (or some other name denoting the "significantly changed" model)?

(And just so you know: I didn't start doing side-by-side audio comparisons to look for "problems." I only did that after playing one of my MIDI files using the new D4, and noticing that it sounded notably different and less satisfying than in v.4.5.  Perhaps I should post the actual FXP tonight for folks' comparison.  Other than missing the old D4 (as modified by my custom FXP) I greatly welcome the other improvements to v.5, and will of course keep trying it out!)

Last edited by duggadugdug (21-05-2014 14:31)

I upgraded from 4.5 Stage to 5 Standard.  I love it.  All I've had time for is a few presets and they sound great!  I will be trying out the additional features of standard as time goes on.  Unfortunately I'm going out of town tomorrow.

Please check your velocity curve if it's same.
It has big impact on sound.

Edit: Reply to Dugaduga.

Last edited by jarosujo (21-05-2014 14:46)

I checked the V5 mp3 on website.

The U4 it's even more natural than in V4.5, and it's like the sound it's more clear, with no sights of muffed anywhere.

The k2 sounded very good. Again more clear sound, more natural tone. It's like they created a model to try to fit almost all styles.

The V5 YC5 sounds much better than in 4.5, but still as a rock piano, as it's what it is and nobody should expect to get a "very classical" sound from it.
YC5 trebble have some bit strange metal buzz, but I again it's something suposed to exist in this kind of rocking tuning

The YC5 sex change (got white color ) it's a bit strange:

PunBB bbcode test

"He" used to be black finish.   Háa háaa....

Bluthner also sounds clear than before.  It's like all updated models had a veil removed.

Last edited by Beto-Music (21-05-2014 15:11)

" the sound is a bit "buzzier" and has some higher timbre components that sound more artificial/synthetic to my ears than when I play the same file using 4.5 "

I have to say i agree. something does not sound pleasant there. the only way i have found to tame it, is to set the mallet bounce initial delay to minimum, and the the delay loss to maximum ( with the bluthner model ) but its still there. its a shame as the sustained notes with the pedal down are much richer and improved over 4.5.

Long time forum reader, but this is my first post.

I just want to say that I absolutely love V5! I used to prefer playing my old upright over V4, but after playing around on V5, I went back to my upright, and preferred the sound, and feel of Pianoteq 5! That surprised me a lot!

Also, I want to say a huge thank you to Moddart for allowing me to upgrade to version 5 for free, even though I was 1 month past the 12 month free upgrade window! Because of that, I will now definitely buy one of the new historical pianos packs!

Last edited by Wallis85 (21-05-2014 15:14)

The kremsegg collection 1 and 2 are for salle.

Not sure if many people would buy historical pianos for this price. It's not that it desserves less, but people do not use to give such value for historical pianos.

They created 8 new good historical models, invested a lot of time and money, and it's fair to charge.

The Bechstein 1899 fits very well to blues and have a very natural sound.
Check the mp3:  https://www.pianoteq.com/kremsegg2

Last edited by Beto-Music (21-05-2014 15:37)

Beto-Music wrote:

The kremsegg collection 1 and 2 are for salle.

Not sure if many people would buy historical pianos for this price. It's not that it desserves less, but people do not use to give such value for historical pianos.

They created 8 new good historical models, invested a lot of time and money, and it's fair to charge.

The Bechstein 1899 fits very well to blues and have a very natural sound.
Check the mp3:  https://www.pianoteq.com/kremsegg2

I have a 1903 Bechstein upright that I absolutely adore and I've heard and played a late 1890s Bechstein grand in a stately home I visited a few years ago (I let my sister do most of the playing as she's far, far better than I am: she said it was the nicest piano she'd ever played).

So I had high hopes for the KiVIR Bechstein, but I really don't like its sound at all. I did wonder whether it might improve with different mic positioning (I currently only have Stage though and the Bechstein isn't in the PT4 Standard trial version), or perhaps it's just the way that particular instrument is.

Some of the other historic pianos sound not so good in some presets but really nice in others, which makes me wonder whether the mic positioning is key to getting a nice (for my tastes) sound out of them. It'll be something to play with when I get around to upgrading to Standard.

I shall be listening to the Kremsegg 2 demos with great interest, particularly the Bechstein. If it sounds better than the KiVIR one I'll probably buy the add-on, especially as I'll get the upgrade to 5 for nothing. You can never have too many pianos and the historic instruments add something different to the palette than the usual Steinways, Yamahas and so on. Plus, it's a good price for four additional instruments.

Last edited by Jorvik (21-05-2014 16:11)
PTQ Std: Blüthner, K2, YC5, Steinway D, Kremsegg 2, Celeste, Hohner, Electric pianos
UbuntuStudio, SL88 Grand, Keystation 88es

1903 Bechstein Model 8, Yamaha CP-30

Jorvik wrote:

Some of the other historic pianos sound not so good in some presets but really nice in others, which makes me wonder whether the mic positioning is key to getting a nice (for my tastes) sound out of them. It'll be something to play with when I get around to upgrading to Standard.

Yes, mic positioning (and especially mic type, as of v5!) can impart a lot of changes to the sound - sometimes for the worse, other times for the better!

Hard work and guts!

Hey, jarosujo: Yes, the velocity curves were identical (being part of the FXP), as were the performances (the same MIDI file).

Just to bump it, so it doesn't get lost in the chain, the one remaining question I have is:

So would the architecture of v.5 have allowed you to keep the D4 instrument from v.4.5, and add the newly modeled version as a "D5" instrument option (or some other name denoting the "significantly changed" model)?

I think what I'm wishing for (among the other, extremely welcome aspects of the v.5 update!) is that the significantly remodeled D4 had been added as a new instrument (D5?), and the prior D4 had been retained as an additional instrument.  Is that something that would be possible under the v.5 architecture?

I foresee weeks of playing and tweaking ahead, but at the moment my favorite piano to play remains the D4 as presented in v.4.5 (as modified by a personal FXP), which means I will have to retain two versions of Pianoteq.

EvilDragon wrote:

Yes, mic positioning (and especially mic type, as of v5!) can impart a lot of changes to the sound - sometimes for the worse, other times for the better!

I found that when I had a play of the Standard demo. I just have a feeling that mic position alone won't be able to make the KIVir sound pleasant to my ears, there's a nasty rattling, thin, tinny quality to it. However, it won't matter as long as the Kremsegg Bechstein sounds good, I just want one nice-sounding Bechstein

PTQ Std: Blüthner, K2, YC5, Steinway D, Kremsegg 2, Celeste, Hohner, Electric pianos

Jorvik, sorry to say, but you post confuses a bit, as reading we don't know when you refer to the old or to the new bechtein.

Haven't you tried the Kremsegg (1899) Bechstein ?

After beta testing there is always some extra details to fix, some extra presets to creats in order to please more variable tastes.
I'm sure they can create some few more presets based in the impressions people get from V5.

Beto-Music wrote:

Jorvik, sorry to say, but you post confuses a bit, as reading we don't know when you refer to the old or to the new bechtein.

Haven't you tried the Kremsegg (1899) Bechstein ?

After beta testing there is always some extra details to fix, some extra presets to creats in order to please more variable tastes.
I'm sure they can create some few more presets based in the impressions people get from V5.

I'm sorry you find it confusing, but my posts couldn't have been clearer:
– I don't like the sound of the KIVir Bechstein; it might improve with mic positioning but I suspect not
– I really want a nice Bechstein, so will be listening to the Kremsegg 2 demos with interest. If the Bechstein sounds good I'll definitely be buying.

Unfortunately I've heard nothing yet as I'm still at work, ahem, working

Just downloaded the demo and gave it a quick play and playback test.   V5 K2 a nice improvement over V4.5 K1 -- at the moment, I think it's my favorite option available in the V5 demo.

I'll be ordering as soon as I pick up a new laptop next week as my permanent Pianoteq-only computer.  (Current computer is a piece of junk -- not only old+slow but I dare not power it off as it often has trouble powering back on.)

Just few words after few hours of playing: "Pianoteq 5 is great".

One minor little insignificant mistake to report:

The larger image when we clic in the historic pianos image is missing.

It went to this:  https://www.pianoteq.com/images/pianos/...hstein.jpg

Im enjoying V5, K2 is very nice and others have some nice subtle changes.

Ive been demoing the Kremsegg (1&2), its a pity about the price 49 eur each is quite high, though undoubtedly alot of work has gone into them, and the Pleyel, Erard and Bechstein are very different (better) to the KiVIR versions.

I really like the new Bechstein, and think Kremsegg 2 is (for me) the better of the two packs, but i think its down to what you are looking for.
(not that Ive ever played a Bechstein, so can't say how accurate it is, just its nice)

perhaps Pianoteq will do us a historical pianos bundle

Last edited by TheTechnobear (21-05-2014 17:48)

Hello, the K2 it's really amazing for me, I'm so excited and I played a little improvisation for test this new piano.
My performance is dirty, not clean,  it's not the subject of this recording but you heard the dynamique of this piano ? It's incredible for a vsti piano :

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/R5Srz-yEce/Test_K2.html

Thanks Pianoteq !!

Lylo wrote:

Hello, the K2 it's really amazing for me, I'm so excited and I played a little improvisation for test this new piano.

Really good dynamics! Thanks for your improvisation!

And listen Bluthner - it's incredible: chords are very natural, treble range is so neat and elegant. Just pleasure.
(Though I noticed CPU usage increased, but it is justified for this sound).
Good job, Modartt!

Last edited by Kridlatec (21-05-2014 18:05)

Hello, I have not play really the Bluthner (I have the add on) my mind was captivated by the K2 !! )
I tested the R2, it's better no ? Or my mind is too impressed ?

Last edited by Lylo (21-05-2014 18:11)

Version 5 Pro is sounding great so far!  I had to refresh my browser a couple times in order to get the download to work in my user area...I'm sure the Pianoteq website is a little busy right now. 

I initially tried the reworked D4, and noticed something very significant; those pesky pre-baked L-modes are gone! The bass notes behave in a more pleasing manner changing the string length to 10m, and their spectra finally imitate accurately their target instrument. For the hammers, they are no longer like ice-picks, instead sounding more like real pieces of felt, especially at the higher octaves.

It seems Modartt have finally solved the wimpy bass of the D4 (and, K1), as I noticed a depth playing its bottom notes, especially its lowest A (Daily Practice). Moving the mics around captured that depth across more notes, confirming my initial hypothesis.

With all the improvements made since v4, now I can call Pianoteq a serious contender against the best of sample libraries. The only thing stopping me from buying is a lack of extreme-length pianos (Rubenstein R-371, Alexander Stadium Concert Grand, Steinmayer 450, to name a few), but if my hesitation comes down to taste in piano tone, a specific one at that, then consider that a testament to how far this program has advanced!

My first impressions... everything's a lot brighter. I'm sure I'll get used to it and overall it's probably a good thing, but it was a bit of a shock and I'm still not accustomed to it. I suspect I need to have another go at my velocity curve, or just play for longer so that my playing adjusts to the increased brightness (I think I need to learn a bit more subtlety).

As others have mentioned, the mids seem a bit clearer and the bottom end seems better defined.

The Kremsegg Bechstein is beautiful. The higher registers aren't totally to my liking, but it's far, far superior to the KiViR Bech. Having played the KIViR one again, it seems really distant, even with no reverb or delay whatsoever. It's very percussive with a nasty rattle to it, it almost sounds as though it's in need of restringing! The Kremsegg one, on the other hand, is still a bit percussive but is present and warm and with none of the shrillness of the KIViR.

Comparing K2 with identically named K1 patches, there's a noticeable spatial difference, presumably due to the newer mic modelling. The K2 sounds superior. How much I like it depends on what I'm playing and the preset. I don't think I'll find it a good all-rounder, but when I like it, it's very nice. It probably just needs different mic placement to get the best out of it (and I'm only on Stage so can't play with that at the moment). I think it will probably grow on me. The K1, like the KIViRs sounds a bit distant, or roomy or boxy (even with no delay/reverb), in comparison with K2.

Oh yes, the K2 bass/piano split preset is fun! Aha, just noticed one for D4 as well but that doesn't seem to do anything (i.e. the bottom end is just piano).

Hmm, onwards to the other Kremsegg demos and the YC5...

ETA: I think the preset handling is far superior. It might take an extra click or two through the submenus, but it's much easier to take in the information and find the right preset because it's laid out more logically. And scrolling around the preset screen in PT4 used to be a bit of a pain.

Last edited by Jorvik (21-05-2014 20:46)

Only tried the K2 so far, but really loving it. I stuck with K1 ever since 3.6, mostly ignoring D4, which to me had - as lowendtheory put it - "wimpy" bass (the K1 bass was OK to me). But K2 will probably completely replace it. Bass is even better, and more importantly, treble is amazingly rounded and full. Found myself constantly seeking the upper range while playing, just to enjoy those notes.

On to giving K1 and D4 another chance tomorrow - and revisit Blüthner.

OK this is just an initial impression, but so far I'm not that impressed.  Yes it's clearer, and compared to 4.5 more realistic in some ways.  But there are two big problems:

- the metallic/buzzing sound others have mentioned.  Especially noticable on mid-to-high notes @ higher velocities.  Instead of the clear, more crystal-like purity, we've now got a really nasty unmusical metallic sizzle.  Seems to be part of the new engine as I hear it on all models I've tried so far (D4, Bluethner, K2).  I really think Modartt should rework this, as it ruins the purity and delicacy of the upper frequencies.

- the sound does have more 'body', sounds warmer and a bit more organic, yes.  However it's still a very static effect to my ears, like rigid convolution.  The body/woodieness simply doesn't gel and mingle, it's strangely clinical.  (as is the upper frequency metallicness above).  I was hoping to see something more alive-sounding, maybe with some randomness, at least with some non-linear interplay.

(Of course I don't know how the current soundboard model actually works, but I believe the older engine at least used convolution?  But it still sounds static, not like a living breathing piano.)

Btw it's a shame I wasn't eventually invited to the beta tests, despite being promised several times.  I was in the PT4 beta and contributed a few important things that got adopted, so I would have been able to give this feedback earlier.

Last edited by ReBased (21-05-2014 21:04)

Yamaha P-105 USB into ancient iMac 2.4 Ghz Core Duo and out through Yamaha N12 into a pair of Mackie HR-824 Mk 2 monitors and I am in Pianoteq 5 heaven. Amazing work, my students tonight have been floored

Brilliant job as always. Just when you think love can't get better, it does.

Now how about that Stuart and Sons model... http://www.stuartandsons.com/

Last edited by eugene (22-05-2014 01:30)

Congratulations to Modartt, I upgraded today. Pianoteq V5 just sounded fabulous to me.  The bass is richer and deeper than before. I really like the new historical pianos. Thank you Modartt.

Overall I'm disappointed - it still sounds rather dry and muffled to me.  The best improvement I've noticed so far, though, is that the attacks in the default preset (D4 Daily I think it was) sound much more satisfying - they really have a solid "thwack" to them now. 

Greg.

skip wrote:

Overall I'm disappointed - it still sounds rather dry and muffled to me. 

Greg.

Anything but dry and muffled here. A new breath of life in every model, the K and D now shine, and the Bluethner radiates warmth yet power like never before. I have students with talented young ears and all who have played P5 today are blown away... kids huh

Well my untalented aging ears tell me that my sample libraries still sound MUCH better.

Greg.

eugene wrote:

Now how about that Stuart and Sons model... http://www.stuartandsons.com/

I hope against hope the maker will allow Modartt to sample White Room instruments 46, 47, or 48, as they have 102 notes (no "filling in" notes below F0), and, as a bonus, implement his dream of a 108 note compass.

skip wrote:

Well my untalented aging ears tell me that my sample libraries still sound MUCH better.

Greg.

Oh well so you are saying that those multi velocity multi GB sound snapshots sound better to YOU. I guess that there is no accounting for lack of dynamic perception (apart from the aging ears of course). PT5 is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of rendering a performance in real time, not old time gramps... and I'm 58, and it is an absolute delight to my students...them kids again eh, what do they hear?

Last edited by eugene (22-05-2014 02:38)

Of course I am talking about what sounds better to ME.

Note that I am ONLY referring to the tone - not the playability aspects. I understand and accept that Pianoteq excels in that area, and that's great.

Greg.

eugene wrote:
skip wrote:

Greg.

Oh well so you are saying that those multi velocity multi GB sound snapshots sound better to YOU. I guess that there is no accounting for lack of dynamic perception (apart from the aging ears of course). PT5 is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of rendering a performance in real time, not old time gramps... and I'm 58, and it is an absolute delight to my students...them kids again eh, what do they hear?

They hear and feel and play better. Check your monitors, get your physician to douche out the wax like I did last week.  You may hear what we hear - or worse. We love it and i will begin a student testimonial thread, parents willing...

skip wrote:

Of course I am talking about what sounds better to ME.

Note that I am ONLY referring to the tone - not the playability aspects. I understand and accept that Pianoteq excels in that area, and that's great.

Greg.

You're down under eh skip... been to Stuart and Sons? I would leave Toronto to play one in the maternity ward

I'm not a good enough player to deserve to play one. (and that's probably why the tone is more important to me than the dynamics ;^)

Greg.

skip wrote:

I'm not a good enough player to deserve to play one. (and that's probably why the tone is more important to me than the dynamics ;^)

Greg.

C'mpn Greg if you can play a note that sounds good to you, you're a good enough player. You're then a player of note and are we not all what pours our fingers? Some notes vanish some linger, some we banish, some beckon a singer... whatever works its all good skip

Yay Pianoteq 5! I'm pretty sure I'll not buy another sampled piano again. I've wasted TONS of money on sampled pianos over the years. Ravenscroft was my last sampler. With all the money I'm going to save, time to start shopping for an 8 inch Schmidt Cassegrain go-to scope!

I purchased 4.5 Stage several months ago, and I found myself playing my Ivory II American Steinway D instead. Pianoteq just didn't sound quite natural to me.

Version 5 sounds really good. The D4 and K2 are in the league of Ivory II for sound quality, and it's more responsive to my touch. I don't hear the metallic sound at the treble range that was mentioned in this thread.

I'm very happy with the upgrade. I need to play more to formulate a better opinion. I need to make a visit to the Steinway store to compare better. But this is a piano that a musician can really dig into and get lost in.

Bravo!

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

Indeed new instruments became more brilliant, especially when played through headphones. That is not good for lyrical music. To make sound less brilliant, experiment with curve. For example, I never used it for Bluthner 4-4.5, but for the new v5 changed it like this:
http://i63.fastpic.ru/big/2014/0522/3f/3112ef8ed56ab7acaa59c27c9dc87a3f.png
And it helped to get sound in my headphones more soft (with my loudspeakers basic presets sound splendid, and there is no need to change curve). In my opinion, D4 became too bright. But I am continuing to investigate it

Last edited by Kridlatec (22-05-2014 07:33)

2nd impressions.

I'm using cheap $25 computer speakers.  V4.5 at max volume would cause quite a bit of distortion.  V5's clearer sound lets me bump volume up to 100% on the D4.

The K2 will be good practice to get better control.  The D4 is more forgiving of mistakes (e.g. pressing too hard or too soft) but for the K2, those mistakes really stand out.

Last edited by Mossy (22-05-2014 08:10)

skip wrote:

Greg.

At least you admit your ears aren't that good after all, so we shouldn't take your comment seriously.

Hard work and guts!

Chortle.  (I'm looking forward to the day when I'm stone deaf, because then Pianoteq will definitely sound the same as my sample libraries!)

Greg.

It already sounds better than any sample library, too bad that you can't hear it...

Hard work and guts!

Mossy wrote:

2nd impressions.

I'm using cheap $25 computer speakers.  V4.5 at max volume would cause quite a bit of distortion.  V5's clearer sound lets me bump volume up to 100% on the D4.

Yes, I have the same effect with my Microlab