Topic: Velocity =0 and still sound ?

Sorry I haven't found if this was already discussed.
When I play at very low velocity (0), I still hear the sound of the note in Pianoteq, there is no sound in a real piano.
Is it fixable with a Pianoteq parameter (I have 3.6 Standard) ?
thanks

Re: Velocity =0 and still sound ?

There's always some sound even when you dead-mute press a key on piano. You'll at least hear hammers moving.

Granted, that's not how Pianoteq yet works. I think it should, though

Hard work and guts!

Have you tried adjusting the velocity curve in the window at the bottom left?
Moving the left-most dot further to the right should yield the result you are after.

"In dust we trust"

dgelas wrote:

Sorry I haven't found if this was already discussed.
When I play at very low velocity (0), I still hear the sound of the note in Pianoteq, there is no sound in a real piano.
Is it fixable with a Pianoteq parameter (I have 3.6 Standard) ?
thanks

Hello Dgelas,

When anyone plays at zero velocity, they should not be hearing anything from Pianoteq, because zero velocity means you are not touching the keys. That's probably obvious, and I didn't mean to insult you with that statement.

Regarding Pianoteq, it is a mathematical model of what happens when a virtual hammer strikes a virtual string in a virtual piano.  As such, in a real piano, the hammer has to be decoupled from the mechanical action ... just before the hammer strikes the string, in order for it to hit, rebound, and become recoupled to the mechanical action.

So, in a real piano, if you press the note ever-so-slowly that the upward momentum of the hammer in free flight ... is not allowed to occur, then you achieve what you have described -- namely, a silently "struck" piano string.

Because a physically modeled piano requires the hammer to actually impact the string, and to make full use of the 1 - 127 midi note-on velocity range, the mathematics have to "kick in".  It would be rather worthless to waste the note-on velocity range by programming in a way to "not" play the piano.

If these and other oddities were programmed into Pianoteq, it would certainly consume much more than 20MB of programming space and would increase the already ridiculously low cost of the program as compared to a fine quality grand piano.

I hope this addresses your question without sounding as though I am lecturing you, as that was not the intent of this reply.

Cheers,

Joe  <jcfelice88keys>

As ToneF said, just move the left dot to the right, ensuring that you keep it down down on the bottom.

My controller transmits a minimum MIDI velocity of 7 for softly played notes, so I have to move the dot over to the coordinate (7,0) and this works fine - when I play softly, no sound occurs.

Greg.

My keyboard (Ensoniq TS12) has this function build in.
If you strike the key very slowly like on a real piano it wont output a note on.
It can though act as a normal synth allso.

thanks for the answers
exact, the minimum velocity send (with my RD700GX) is 1, not 0
With the velocity curve, I managed to obtain what I wanted (no sound on the very low velocities).
That's an important feature (no sound on low vel) in order to imitate a real piano and for contemporary music using overtones.
Funny, this feature is in many digital pianos now.

thanks for the help

Olepro: I don't think the "piano" mode of your controller is appropriate for Pianoteq, with regards to sympathetic resonance. If Pianoteq doesn't know that the dampers for any given note are lifted, it will not produce any sympathetic resonance for those notes, if you had intended to play those note silently for the sole purpose of producing sympathetic resonance. (I suppose this would be very rare though!)

Greg.

skip wrote:

Olepro: I don't think the "piano" mode of your controller is appropriate for Pianoteq, with regards to sympathetic resonance. If Pianoteq doesn't know that the dampers for any given note are lifted, it will not produce any sympathetic resonance for those notes, if you had intended to play those note silently for the sole purpose of producing sympathetic resonance. (I suppose this would be very rare though!)

Greg.

You got a point there skip ;-)
I guess i need a velocity 0.5 :-))

Hi dgelas:
I'm not sure which controller you're using, but velocity =0 is actually a special case in the MIDI code. It has often been used in what's called "Running Mode" as a programming shortcut for turning off a note. The quietest note-on message conventionally recognized is velocity =1. I haven't tested Pianoteq (or other software MIDI modules) for this, but I can't imagine that it plays anything when it receives a note-on message with a velocity of 0, or it would be outside the original MIDI spec. If admin or anyone knows different, I'd (sincerely) love to know about it.
Steve

Yeah, under the MIDI Spec, a Note On with velocity zero is meant to be equivalent to a Note Off.

Yes I made an error but I've already talked about it, see my previous post

Yes, dgelas was not transmitting 0 - he was transmitting 1.

For velocities that are MAPPED to velocity 0 internally (via the velocity response curve), Pianoteq appears to translate a note-on to "key down, damper lifted, but no hammer strike".  (and this is how I want it to behave)

Greg.

ToneF wrote:

Have you tried adjusting the velocity curve in the window at the bottom left?
Moving the left-most dot further to the right should yield the result you are after.

Sorry for necroposting but I had a similar situation in that my velocity of 1, was not triggering a note, only action noise.
The suggestion ToneF made pointed me in the right direction to solve the problem.
In my case I moved the left-most dot up 1 tick, changing the 0(zero) to a 1.

Thanks ToneF!

My SL Numa Nero suffers from the same disease: can't get a minimum velocity lower than MIDI level 8. It's Pianoteq velocity curve to the rescue with 8 -> 0.

I must say that 127 (or in my case 119) levels of velocity do not feel enough. The Casio PX-160 with high-res MIDI (approx 16000 levels) sounds a lot more natural and feels more satisfying to play (as far as the sound goes; the flimsy keys otoh...). It kind of makes sense if one thinks about it: there are only 10 or so levels between ppp and pp or between ff and fff, maybe less once the velocity curve is tweaked.

Last edited by SteveLy (18-03-2016 20:31)
3/2 = 5

Speaking of things happening at "zero" . . . I would ask what should the velocity be when one senses or does not sense the jack let-off vs. whenever or not whenever a given hammer does or does not strike an above string ? ?

[ HAVE FUN ! ]

Lanny