Topic: Is Pianoteq v.8 about to be released?

https://i.postimg.cc/GtdpZ1HL/screenshot.jpg

Last edited by MaurizioP (22-10-2022 11:01)

Re: Is Pianoteq v.8 about to be released?

MaurizioP wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/vTmyQQfX/Piano-Teq-8-0-0.png

Oh yes !.... it seems that there is something going on at modartt... I can't wait.....
New version... new instruments I hope....
Maybe tomorrow !... why not...

Last edited by YvesTh (21-10-2022 22:44)

YvesTh wrote:
MaurizioP wrote:

Oh yes !.... it seems that there is something going on at modartt... I can't wait.....

Don't tell me that! I just sold mine a week ago! Ahahah

ByronHeart wrote:
YvesTh wrote:
MaurizioP wrote:

Don't tell me that! I just sold mine a week ago! Ahahah

Damn, it really is ahah. I guess if it sounds better then my Garritan CFX now I will have to lose some more money and sell CFX LMAO!

https://i.postimg.cc/bNfBQGf4/0-D42-CE1-D-1610-441-C-9-E4-A-27-A4-A911-AEB8.jpg

Should I try it?

I don't see anything about Pianoteq 8 at their website. Are you a beta user?

Edit. I do see where the trial tab is, V8 is mentioned, but there's no link to actually download the trial version.
I'm cautiously excited.

Last edited by beakybird (22-10-2022 05:13)
Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

navindra wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/bNfBQGf4/0-D42-CE1-D-1610-441-C-9-E4-A-27-A4-A911-AEB8.jpg

Should I try it?

Text says "Upgrade... to version 8", but the graphics is for upgrade to 7.

Link e.g. "More info about Pianoteq Standard 8" leads to v.7 description:
https://i.postimg.cc/BZ1cwFjv/PIC-01.jpg

BTW, is it possible to install the trial version of Pianoteq now? :-)

Last edited by MaurizioP (22-10-2022 09:40)

It does indeed say upgrade to version 8 now, but with no product announcements, no 8 logo, no details at all. No option to download yet. It's currently a weird mix for sure!

Hopefully this is the beginning of a real announcement and the website hasn't just been hacked, or Modartt are merely dealing with a disgruntled website administrator?

The changelog is also empty now.

Maybe all will be clearer in a few hours? Perhaps they were hoping to get a few more changes in place before people noticed?

I'm surprised they haven't come on here to say all is well - details to follow, or something!

Last edited by Key Fumbler (22-10-2022 13:55)

v7 was released less than 2y ago and it seems like each major PTQ version is more like 3-4 years apart.
Sounds to me like this is just a bug in their CI/CD flow, that somehow got the trial / upgrade links to be promoted to v8 without any intention.

That being said, the upcoming release of macOS Ventura (or perhaps my wish for an iPad Pro support?) might have led them to release a new version sooner than expected.

Now when I click the 'Buy' tab on the website, Pianoteq is not available to be ordered except for the upgrades and Organteq.

So, my guess is that they just don't want people to buy Pianoteq 7 for a couple of days before they officially launch Pianoteq 8. Well, it doesn't explain why they don't change everything all at once though:)

Last edited by Snowpine (22-10-2022 15:17)

Snowpine wrote:

Now when I click the 'Buy' tab on the website, only Pianoteq is not available to be ordered except for upgrades and Organteq.

So, my guess is that they just don't want people to buy Pianoteq 7 for a couple of days before they officially launch Pianoteq 8. Well, it doesn't explain why they don't change everything all at once though:)

Wow! That makes it sound as though a new version really is imminent!

Why leave it hanging?
This seems too unprofessional for them if actually intentional.

They don't even have to tell us what's actually happening but I would have expected them to say that something is being changed-  the website was hacked, or it was a mistake by administration. Something like that by now if they can't update the website to sort this either way.

They wouldn't even have to say what is happening - just a note here to say watch this space, or problems on the website are being sorted..

Key Fumbler wrote:

Why leave it hanging?
This seems too unprofessional for them if actually intentional.

They don't even have to tell us what's actually happening but I would have expected them to say that something is being changed-  the website was hacked, or it was a mistake by administration. Something like that by now if they can't update the website to sort this either way.

They wouldn't even have to say what is happening - just a note here to say watch this space, or problems on the website are being sorted..

Even though this suggests that Version 8 is imminent, It's obvious that the website designer made a mistake by posting the unfinished web pages he/she was working on.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

Way to tease the public... Lol!

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Chopin87 wrote:

In a can you trust buying products from our compromised website type way?

Risky strategy if they've done this deliberately to get people talking!!!

This is purely speculation, but with the official announcement of a delay to the annual video contest, it's presumable that this is genuine and imminent.  I'd guess a two week time-frame or less--probably a lot less.  It's further possible that the release is causing technical challenges if new OSes are involved, changes to method of activation or number of slots, etc.

I don't think it was a mistake; my bet is that changes to the upgrade/activation backend code required deployment that altered text descriptions the removal of purchase options was a further attempt to insulate a new account/activation system on the main site as OTQ is unaffected but new PTQ licenses, instrument packs, etc. stand to be a customer service bonanza.  It makes further sense to deploy these changes over a weekend, as site traffic will naturally be lower.  With the intense speculation that an iOS offering could be involved in this, Modartt might be in the middle of restructuring their entire order system to support App Store integration which stands to be an absolute nightmare to seamlessly add that to already functional, deployed code exclusively for activation on desktop OSes.

I haven't tested what happens to the upgrade option by entering a license code, as the last thing I want to do is bork or brick something that Modartt has to fix on top of whatever else they're valiantly coping with behind the scenes, but I still--as of writing--have an upgrade to Version 8 option in the user area.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

There is currently a glitch in the user area and ordering system. Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience involved. We will fix this asap.

Niclas Fogwall wrote:

There is currently a glitch in the user area and ordering system. Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience involved. We will fix this asap.

Also in the support/manuals:
https://i.postimg.cc/gjxSK2Zw/screenshot2.jpg

I sincerely hope the fixing means a new version will be available :-)

Edit: I can see that unfortunately not (at least not yet). And it was so beautiful...

Last edited by MaurizioP (22-10-2022 21:41)

tmyoung wrote:

This is purely speculation, but with the official announcement of a delay to the annual video contest, it's presumable that this is genuine and imminent.  I'd guess a two week time-frame or less--probably a lot less.  It's further possible that the release is causing technical challenges if new OSes are involved, changes to method of activation or number of slots, etc.

I don't think it was a mistake; my bet is that changes to the upgrade/activation backend code required deployment that altered text descriptions the removal of purchase options was a further attempt to insulate a new account/activation system on the main site as OTQ is unaffected but new PTQ licenses, instrument packs, etc. stand to be a customer service bonanza.  It makes further sense to deploy these changes over a weekend, as site traffic will naturally be lower.  With the intense speculation that an iOS offering could be involved in this, Modartt might be in the middle of restructuring their entire order system to support App Store integration which stands to be an absolute nightmare to seamlessly add that to already functional, deployed code exclusively for activation on desktop OSes.

I haven't tested what happens to the upgrade option by entering a license code, as the last thing I want to do is bork or brick something that Modartt has to fix on top of whatever else they're valiantly coping with behind the scenes, but I still--as of writing--have an upgrade to Version 8 option in the user area.

Excuse me, Where is that official announcement? I can not find it

Niclas Fogwall wrote:

Looking foward to the Pianoteq 8

Niclas Fogwall wrote:

After this big hope of 24 hours abruptly aborted it would be nice from modartt to give us the release date of this future v8... should we wait 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months? Don't leave us in this state please...

...No it's not possible, you gave us too much hope, you can't go back without telling us more...

Last edited by YvesTh (22-10-2022 21:55)

Ro Bamonde music wrote:
Niclas Fogwall wrote:

Looking foward to the Pianoteq 8

Glad they finally caught up with this error and let us know everything is fine with Modartt.

It's reverted back to version 7, for now..

YvesTh wrote:

After this big hope of 24 hours abruptly aborted it would be nice from modartt to give us the release date of this future v8... should we wait 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months? Don't leave us in this state please...

...No it's not possible, you gave us too much hope, you can't go back without telling us more...

Whether they pulled it at the last minute for extra testing and development, or somebody jumped the gun in the website admin I would rather they get it right than rush it out because of this non event, whether that's days, weeks or even months away.

It's a safe bet that something is coming sooner rather than later though.

Last edited by Key Fumbler (22-10-2022 23:00)

I bought the Studio Bundle version just 1 hour before this thread was started ... it will suck if I have to pay for an upgrade in a few days. Does the one year free upgrades policy cover major version upgrades?

krystalcode wrote:

I bought the Studio Bundle version just 1 hour before this thread was started ... it will suck if I have to pay for an upgrade in a few days. Does the one year free upgrades policy cover major version upgrades?

Absolutely! Not only major upgrades, but any new instruments released during that year.

Last edited by BarbaraRB (23-10-2022 16:04)

BarbaraRB wrote:
krystalcode wrote:

Absolutely! Not only major upgrades, but any new instruments released during that year.

Yes, although it may take a little while for the upgrade to appear in your User Area, so don't panic if it's not there straight away.

If true it will be fun to see what Modartt has done  to Pianoteq in Version 8.

Idle speculation - not expecting an answer.
I wonder if this website error was a misunderstanding based around a big Pianoteq sound upgrade to 7.8 rather than 8.0?
If that came with new instruments that could be the reason for a misunderstanding, competition delay and retraction too.

instred wrote:

Ha ha, well you can do your best impression of Sherlock Holmes like the rest of us by putting two and two together :

Niclas Fogwall wrote:

Hi everyone,

This is just to let you know that our annual video contest will launch a bit later this year than usual. We will announce it here and in the forthcoming newsletter.

Last edited by Key Fumbler (24-10-2022 16:05)

Ro Bamonde music wrote:

https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php...21#p985221

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

Chopin87 wrote:

Absolutely!  and we all just love it!  When it is released, the website is going to be sooooo busy . . . . can't wait to try!

I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order

peterws wrote:
Chopin87 wrote:

Absolutely!  and we all just love it!  When it is released, the website is going to be sooooo busy . . . . can't wait to try!

Me Too!!!

ANY guesses on   new model(s)

instred wrote:

ANY guesses on  new model(s)

K3 (K2 update)

K3 upright - along with other branded uprights in the other packs.

Mark tree. (A new freebie for KIVir).

Unofficial YC-FX. (CFX)

New Steinway upright.

Barenboim piano - that would be something ultra special!!!

More Rhodes electric models - possibly including the new 8.
Rhodes Suitcase.

Apart from even better modelling of hammers and strings and lid behaviour -
Improvements to the FX engine.
Better reverb.
MPE settings.
Ability to use more simultaneous layers.
CLAP format support
iPad version.
Mono direct out to stereo option for FX with electric pianos.

Who knows really.

Last edited by Key Fumbler (25-10-2022 12:11)

instred wrote:

ANY guesses on   new model(s)

I'm hoping they find more piano makers to truly cooperate with to model their pianos that is beneficial for both parts as they seem to have done with Petrof and Steingraeber. I think that could make for great results in the long run. Maybe Sauter or August Förster, those company's makes really great pianos. And I'm hoping for a new upright (maybe a Grotrian upright) or an update to the U4.

krystalcode wrote:

Now I’m hesitant to buy. But also waiting on 20-30% discount. But even with that if 8 is coming.. now I’m im limbo.

ego0720 wrote:
krystalcode wrote:

Now I’m hesitant to buy. But also waiting on 20-30% discount. But even with that if 8 is coming.. now I’m im limbo.

Modartt gives you free upgrades of PTQ for a period of a year or so.
About waiting for a discount.. I think the full price tag is way below PTQ's actual value, so don't worry about value-for-money ratio - with or without a discount, this is an excellent purchase to make.

Key Fumbler wrote:
instred wrote:

K3 (K2 update)

Unofficial YC-FX. (CFX)

New Steinway upright.

Rhodes Suitcase.

Better reverb.
MPE settings.
CLAP format support
iPad version.

Who knows really.

From your mouth to God's ear...

BarbaraRB wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:
instred wrote:

K3 (K2 update)

Unofficial YC-FX. (CFX)

New Steinway upright.

Rhodes Suitcase.

Better reverb.
MPE settings.
CLAP format support
iPad version.

Who knows really.

A Fazioli Concert grand.

instred wrote:

Same. Version 6 and 7 have been very substantial updates both for the engine model itself as well as instruments and features. Can't wait to see what has been cooking under the hood this time.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

tmyoung wrote:
Ro Bamonde music wrote:

https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php...21#p985221

Thank you! I hope they make a CFX/C7 Pack

BarbaraRB wrote:

Thank you.

From qwerty keyboard to God's computer monitor doesn't have quite the same ring to it!

Key Fumbler wrote:
BarbaraRB wrote:

Thank you.

From qwerty keyboard to God's computer monitor doesn't have quite the same ring to it!

Love it!

I'm just thinking how the few negative folks will bash Version 8 on the first day.  It seems they have a negative view on all Modarrt does with modeled technology.

Does this mean that Organteq will finally be updated to version 2 soon 

instred wrote:

Does this mean that Organteq will finally be updated to version 2 soon 

I have mentioned this in the Organteq user forum, but since many people do not visit that forum so often, I can mention my guess here as well. Of course they are working with Organteq all the time too. And with my experience since 2013, I guess v 2 can come just before Christmas or in January.
Organteq will come when it's ready, it's not easy with over a thousand pipes to work with.

Best wishes,

Stig

Pianoteqenthusiast, Organteqenthusiast, Harpteqenthusiast, Harpsichordteqenthusiast, experimenter and Graf/Grimalditeqenthusiast, Celesteteqenthusiast, Vibraphoneteqenthusiast and Erardteqenthusiast too 

BarbaraRB wrote:
krystalcode wrote:

Is that stated somewhere in the site? The ~1 year of free updates promise? Just curious, dont't know if I'd better wait til 8 comes along.

Edit: I found it!

https://www.modartt.com/sale_conditions?lang=en

Last edited by chartsengrafs (25-10-2022 21:50)

instred wrote:

I'm just thinking how the few negative folks will bash Version 8 on the first day.  It seems they have a negative view on all Modartt does with modelled technology.

Expectation bias indeed. I don't believe it will ever go away. I've caught myself hearing artefacts in real classical piano recordings from the 60s - 90s that to me sound like Pianoteq! - that's not to say that recordings of real instruments are the perfect reference in that stereo format with the limitations of microphones such as they are, and engineering choices made on the recordings.
I don't have a history of listening to (or playing) real grand pianos in real rooms, that is other than those caught with microphones on commercial recordings.

This is inevitable with absolutely anyone's modelling technology, even if it ever gets to be actually perfect and indistinguishable from the real thing in blind tests.  I expect a certain number of listeners brains will tell them they are listening to something inferior. 

I believe a combination of our imperfect brains and imperfect auditory memory, price perception bias etc will always play a part, along with the real limitations of the virtual instruments.

I have been wasting time and energy haunting this thread when I could be doing something more productive, such as practicing the piano. Am I correct in thinking that Modartt will send me an email when something new is released? I'm signed up for the newsletter, as well as being a customer.

BarbaraRB wrote:

I have been wasting time and energy haunting this thread when I could be doing something more productive, such as practicing the piano. Am I correct in thinking that Modartt will send me an email when something new is released? I'm signed up for the newsletter, as well as being a customer.

Yes Barbara. You will get a newsletter/email. And the video contest will be announced in the newsletter too and here in the forum.

Best wishes,

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (26-10-2022 21:43)

Key Fumbler wrote:
instred wrote:

I'm just thinking how the few negative folks will bash Version 8 on the first day.  It seems they have a negative view on all Modartt does with modelled technology.

Expectation bias indeed. I don't believe it will ever go away. I've caught myself hearing artefacts in real classical piano recordings from the 60s - 90s that to me sound like Pianoteq! - that's not to say that recordings of real instruments are the perfect reference in that stereo format with the limitations of microphones such as they are, and engineering choices made on the recordings.
I don't have a history of listening to (or playing) real grand pianos in real rooms, that is other than those caught with microphones on commercial recordings.

This is inevitable with absolutely anyone's modelling technology, even if it ever gets to be actually perfect and indistinguishable from the real thing in blind tests.  I expect a certain number of listeners brains will tell them they are listening to something inferior. 

I believe a combination of our imperfect brains and imperfect auditory memory, price perception bias etc will always play a part, along with the real limitations of the virtual instruments.

We're only human; that's why the world is as it is.  But you make good points here.
I find, on headphones, many off-putting sounds, or colours with many of the pianos; this seems to change day by day, but the best performers are invariably the Grotrian, and the Bluthner.
Without headphones, all the instruments sound authentically acoustic and all are very playable to the degree I no longer want an actual acoustic..

I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:
BarbaraRB wrote:

Yes Barbara. You will get a newsletter/email. And the video contest will be announced in the newsletter too and here in the forum.

Best wishes,

Stig

Thank you, Stig! Patience is one of the many virtues I don't possess.

I got some new heaphones after I've sold my licence... I'm a little regretful! Looks like my previous AKG K92 really messed up the sound of it and the HD599 really make it sound only 1% or 2% artificial, opposed to the 50% it did with the K92!

Hopefully 8 comes out and I'll probably aquire again!

To the people complaining about the sound. Please, check out the headphones or speakers youre listening to!