Topic: Feature request: More mic presets? A coincident stereo pair?

I've been spending some time recording acoustic guitars lately, experimenting with various mics and mic arrangements. A popular setup is a coincident stereo pair. And Rode makes the NT4, a small-diaphragm stereo pair fused together:

http://www.rode.com/microphones/nt4

So, yes, I'm really saying that I want not just a mic preset, but a model of this mic that we could slide around quickly. The advantages are obvious: the small diaphragm, according to Rode, responds well to fast transients, and the fixed stereo pair makes placing the mics, and moving them around to get the best sound, simple. (A problem with using this arrangement with two normal mics is having to adjust the exact placement of both mics each time a new position is tried. This problem is compounded in Pianoteq, since it's hard to control placement with the mouse, for me, and determining the correct xyz coordinates is no fun.)

Here's a Rode NT4 on piano, from the GearSlutz site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7qXd-8...e=youtu.be

The bass may not be very bassy, but a third, large-diaphragm mic, would solve that problem, yes?  Like this sound, anyone? Try to give yourself time to listen to the entire piece. The dynamics change considerably--she pounds out some chords later.

EDIT: I do have another concern here, and it has to do with the mic modelling. It's occurred to me that reference samples may be taken using a large diaphragm Neumann or similar mic, and when we choose a mic model, we choose what could be called an eq pattern that matches the freq response of the chosen mic. But the eq pattern can only reduce or accent what the actual original mic has picked up, and large diaphragm mics may not pick up those early transients as well as a small diaphragm mic. See the worry? Ideally, in some cases, choosing some mics might best become a matter of choosing a separate modelling that had involved reference samples recorded with a small-diaphragm mic? (Or am I guessing wrong--were reference samples also created using small diaphragm mics?)

Last edited by Jake Johnson (22-11-2019 17:46)

Re: Feature request: More mic presets? A coincident stereo pair?

Yep. Replying to myself. Here are two similar attempts at using the DPA 4011's, the small diaphragm cardioid condenser models, on the Steinway B. Both are based on the Home preset. The first has the volume lowered, the Delay compensation turned off, the hammers slightly softened, and the Dynamics reduced. The second has the same edits, but the Dynamics are wider and the Volume is raised. Raising the Dynamics still higher and increasing the volume slightly gets it closer to sounding like the above video. The closeness of the mics allows a wider dynamic range. Rendered from the MIDI file played by Doug McKenzie, from https://bushgrafts.com/midi/ :

MP3 with reduced dynamics: https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/download.php?id=3383
MP3 with extended dymanics: https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/download.php?id=3386

fxp: https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/file/566ql1as
fxp with extended dynamics: https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/file/bh3aje0q

It would be nice to have these mics as a preset, with the mics already linked.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (02-07-2019 17:10)

++ this - A few good mic pairs would be great in the menu. The Rode NT is also worth listing as a potential new mic IMO - good workhorse and for what, 3 decades now. Deserves some love.

Jake Johnson wrote:

Yep. Replying to myself.

I've saved many pairs and arrays over time in my user settings, good and bad, but it's another thing to have some good solid real-world setups on the menu to begin from.

I love the mic system in Pianoteq and have posted a few times here about ways you can use real world mic arrays in Pianoteq - but having presets for an MS or Blumlein pair in the menu would be just fantastic!

Not so say I think the system needs changing - just a few good pairs would be a fast starting point to work from for many users getting into the mics.

Also a quick NOTE, re some other posts you made Jake, I am currently having no luck playing back any of the audio examples you're posting. I'll try the FXPs asap.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

+1. Excellent idea, Jake. I've often wondered whether to request a 'mic placement assistant' in Pianoteq, as I do find that trying to get the 'sweet spot' for mics in virtual 3D is incredibly frustrating! The mics are a wonderful resource, but I think a lot of us would appreciate some help with positioning.
I do like the sound of those fxps that you just posted - looking forward to trying them.

Last edited by dazric (02-07-2019 09:45)

Actually, I would like to be able to choose from the PTQ brand rendered mics already available ... then fix any two of them in a coincident relationship ... now you could just move that pair anywhere around in the sound field of the PTQ image.  This can already be done but it requires each of the two chosen mics to be reset.  But think of a preset coincident stereo pair such that the angle between the mics can be whatever one likes and the closeness be whatever one likes and they could also not be the same brand mic.  A standard coincident stereo mic typically cannot have the closeness changed between the elements ... furthermore, the two elements are the same.   

In PTQ, for example, hold the shift key and click on two mics and now they both would move and rotate as though they were one.  This would be 'coincident stereo mics "on steroids" a la Philippe'

(had too much wine)

Lanny

Last edited by LTECpiano (02-07-2019 13:26)

LTECpiano wrote:

Actually, I would like to be able to choose from the PTQ brand rendered mics already available ... then fix any two of them in a coincident relationship ... now you could just move that pair anywhere around in the sound field of the PTQ image.  This can already be done but it requires each of the two chosen mics to be reset.  But think of a preset coincident stereo pair such that the angle between the mics can be whatever one likes and the closeness be whatever one likes and they could also not be the same brand mic.  A standard coincident stereo mic typically cannot have the closeness changed between the elements ... furthermore, the two elements are the same.   

In PTQ, for example, hold the shift key and click on two mics and now they both would move and rotate as though they were one.  This would be 'coincident stereo mics "on steroids" a la Philippe'

(had too much wine)

Lanny

Well, we do have the ability to link mics, now. Just double-click between the mics. That's a little hard to do with mics set in an xy array, but it can be done in the right-hand mic display, if the mics are stacked so that they are not on the same horizontal plane. I had forgotten about this when creating the fxps. Works fine, however. Then just right-click on one of the mic panes and save the preset. But yes, it would be good to have several such presets already available. Perhaps in a list with a description of the logic behind each?

Added later:

One thing I've learned is placing the SDC mics so that they face the player. That way they pick up a bit more of the attack and the sound of the key hitting the keybed, while still capturing the strings and soundboard.

I would love to have a model of the Rode NT4 or NT5, which is the same capsule as the capsule in the NT4, but set in a single mic instead of having two mic heads on one body. These are of course not as expensive or as good as the very nice DAP SDC mics that we now have on the Mics page, but they're popular and have their own sound. And the Rode NT3, a medium-diaphragm mic, would make my list, too. And without question the Shure KSM141, which is great on fast high transients without boosting upper freqs so much that things get too crisp or brittle.  Also middle-priced, but it's great. Still, I worry about how reference samples are created. If they're only recorded with a large diaphragm mic, an eq pattern won't recreate the transient response of these small condensers.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (29-07-2019 22:44)

Here's a revised fxp using the same setup as the wide dynamics version, but with the mics swapped and the volumes adjusted so that the bass is more on the left and thr treble is more on the right of the player:

https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/file/bozf1fv6

It is recommended that the user make adjustments to dynamics, volume, and other features in the quest for greater realism and pleasure.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (03-07-2019 13:08)

Interestingly, you can connect not only two microphones.  You can link everything and move / rotate the entire array at once.  And you can precisely position the position / rotation by numbers.

I'm thinking that Philippe may be watching these posts and his "wheels are turning".  (wink wink)

Lanny

And now, Rode has just released the TF5, their high-end SDC's:

http://en.rode.com/microphones/tf-5

and

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much...hones.html

Haven't heard them. About 1500 each.

Inspired by Jake's X-Y settings, I've just attempted an alternative Player setting for Steinway B using that X-Y array (uploaded to fxp corner). I like it, but I'm not expert enough to do the fine adjustments. Can it be improved?
A big thank you to Jake for that link to the Doug McKenzie site. Superb!

Last edited by dazric (03-07-2019 19:15)

dazric wrote:

Inspired by Jake's X-Y settings, I've just attempted an alternative Player setting for Steinway B using that X-Y array (uploaded to fxp corner). I like it, but I'm not expert enough to do the fine adjustments. Can it be improved?

Your fxp sounds really good on the MIDI file that you rendered and uploaded to the FXP Corner. I do have one worry--about the stereo image. I hear more of both the treble and the bass in the left speaker. I'm having trouble getting the balance correct in my attempts, too. Partly because this arrangement can be slightly confusing--the left side mic captures sound that should come out of the right speaker and vice versa. But even getting that arrangement right doesn't entirely get the balance right on my version. I need to go in and work on the relative volume of each mic, I think.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (03-07-2019 23:50)

Aha, yes, this is the sort of problem that I tend to run into when I'm trying to do mic placements. I can go so far, then the finer points elude me. Admittedly, I didn't spend much time on this one, it was a rough test of the X-Y array. But if the stereo image can be fixed, I think it's got great potential.

Note to Modartt team: it would make mouse refinements of mic positions easier if -
1) there was a more efficient way to zoom the mic window
2) there was a switchable grid reference (as you get in graphic design software).

Meanwhile, back at the workshop...
Following Jake's helpful observation about the stereo image, I went back to my fxp and reduced the level of mic 1 by 2dB, which definitely improves the balance. When I've had chance to do a bit more testing, I'll upload a revised version.

Jake Johnson wrote:
dazric wrote:

Your fxp sounds really good on the MIDI file that you rendered and uploaded to the FXP Corner. I do have one worry--about the stereo image. I hear more of both the treble and the bass in the left speaker. I'm having trouble getting the balance correct in my attempts, too. Partly because this arrangement can be slightly confusing--the left side mic captures sound that should come out of the right speaker and vice versa. But even getting that arrangement right doesn't entirely get the balance right on my version. I need to go in and work on the relative volume of each mic, I think.

The only panning issue I found was in the Model B wide preset (not played it recently to hear if this still exists). Headphones are always the best way to test, occasionally even some very good performances using real pianos (and mics) the balance or panning seems off, at least to me. I don't really have any suggestions other than use headphones to check. Just a thought, when making adjustment to mics etc it's best to do this while a midi file is playing, something like arpeggios that isn't too distracting, adjusting the mics whilst playing is not good, although I have been known to do this.

Last edited by MeDorian (04-07-2019 13:52)

For fine tuning of a single (unattached) mic position there is an undocumented trick: in the top or front view, left-click on a mic (on the ball portion) and then make it move by very small increment by using the left, right, up or down arrow of the computer keyboard. You can do this while playing or listening to a MIDI file.

Last edited by Gilles (04-07-2019 14:38)

Gilles wrote:

For fine tuning of a single (unattached) mic position there is an undocumented trick: in the top or front view, left-click on a mic (on the ball portion) and then make it move by very small increment by using the left, right, up or down arrow of the computer keyboard. You can do this while playing or listening to a MIDI file.

That is a good trick, thanks

[EDIT to add] Got time and tried those FXP's Jake - excellent, last one's a fav!

Magic, thanks, Gilles - I was always roughly positioning with mouse, then right-clicking and adjusting by inputting numerical data but your tip is way quicker and no focus interruption.

Still have to right-click, enter data (or drag arrows) for angles (did not encounter yet another key combo to engage angles).

A helpful thing I can think of, to return the favour from all the helpful info here, is that when you right-click an unattached mic (as described by Gilles) the "copy" and "paste" buttons will copy/paste all displayed mic data boxes at once (not just the individually selected/highlighted box). For a long time I missed the usefulness of it.

Eg.
enable and position your #1 mic.
Right-click it and press copy
enable another mic
right-click it and press paste

That way, you have a pair in exactly the location you want.

Next you can do many things from there, link, drag arrows, place them, type in spacial separation data/angles.

You can just quickly get to the part where you have 2 mics together that way, instead of clicking/dragging two mics around until they seem close.. you can make them exactly close - then add in some 'fuzz'.

In the past I posted some nice links to some informative mic setup info - so thought I'd add them here for others on this thread. Cheers.

How to Mic a Room in Stereo: Four Easy Methods

The first YouTube commenter has posted the timestamp links to these:

A/B comparisons:
1. X/Y Coincident Pair 7:28
2. Near Coincident Pair 11:05
3. Blumlein Pair 13:20
4. Spaced Omni 15:20

Just nice to see and hear it (drums in those examples).

Blumlein Pair - Wikipedia

That's a bit of history and some good references contained. Also, will probably give overview as to why mixing 'incorrect' mics will possibly result in quite different results - so worth a look, if looking for ways to improve this kind of pairing experiments.

Stereo Array Sessions -

That is a PDF with some condensed but satisfying info and history of pairings.

I know there were more links - but they were not so much about mics about sound in a 'room', acoustics IIRC.

If interested, you can really get some fantastic, solid stereo imaging for piano with the "Decca Tree". I like experimenting with it a lot - involves 3 omnidirectional mics - and might be a good extra thing to try out:

Decca Tree - Wikipedia

[EDIT to add the following excerpt from article]

Former Decca engineer John Pellowe wrote:

The reason that the Decca system survived as long as it did was that it was comparatively adaptable to different acoustic spaces. It was comparatively easy to auto-balance it and you didn’t have to fiddle with it much, generally speaking in order to make it reliable.

I enjoy variations, or complete abominations!

- such as changing them from triangle, to staggered (different mic types, not just omni - fig 8s at angles and some crossover maybe)

- or very plain but well liked, all along the audience side, mic 1 aligned to keys, #2 further back at center of piano, #3 same pattern, further out at bass end. I also like placing a mono mic somewhere top down over piano (or under) to mix lightly in to further broaden the image, and/or another mic even further out at an angle past the bass end. Experiment with delay timings etc. I find these fun and surprisingly good in Pianoteq.

Also worth mentioning, the manual has some info about paired mics - would be cool to see more of this fleshed out.

Last edited by Qexl (05-07-2019 03:26)
Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Wondering whether to add an extra mic (or two) to my fxp, I had a play with what I call the 'secret' mics. These are the ones that lurk in the background of all presets with fewer than 5 mics, just sitting there waiting to be activated. Some of them are in interesting positions, and it's instructive to switch them on and off to hear their effect.
Thanks, Gilles, for the tip about left-click mic movement! And yes, copy and paste are extremely useful - I have used the function to grab one or two mic positions from other presets. It's a slightly fiddly process (copy mic 1 from A, switch to B, paste mic 1, switch to A, copy mic 2...) but worth it.

Experimenting with different mics, I got curious about the SF-12, so I Googled it. It's actually a stereo mic, as is the SF-24: https://royerlabs.com/microphones/ . In Pianoteq, these mics only seem to be modelled in mono. Or am I missing something?

Some refer to figure eight (8) microphones as stereo.

Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Good observation dazric - they are a one-click classic 45 degree Blumlein pair in a tube, two in one.

Stereo in regards to the figure 8 mics in Pianoteq would probably just be modelled so that the mic 1 is left channel and mic 2 on the right. (other than maybe some technical secret sauce to do with mic internals, our controls are just L & R in the controls).

Single diaphragm mics will mostly have identical left and right chanels (not separate mics pointing across each other) so you can manipulate 2 of these to achieve something similar to what the single figure 8 mics do.

Using 2 cardioid mics you can get more into things like crosstalk too (each mic having its own stereo separate L & R levels in Pianoteq) - adds more possibilities that way.

Some nice configs like that would probably be what this thread was begun with in mind I guess.

You can also manipulate 2 figure 8 mics (and right click the volume chanels to flip polarity, which shows red - worth doing some experiments based on maybe some links from above and links out from there, wikipedia etc.). There's a whole world of things, tried and true and experimental to do with the mics in Pianoteq - real depth to be explored.

There are coincident pairs like the Blumlein pairs, with specifications and attached to genuine scientific reason, then a great many more, good bad and ugly - some also based on similar ideas, but playing with being wider apart or crossing over more or less - limitless - some people never stop imagining new mic ideas. I like taking these classic ideas and just adding a nuance, or twist.

The SFs sound great to me by themselves with reverb all the way down to -11 but I do also like the DPA4041 or U-87 to boost some lower-mids and bass.

Some sort of balance control parameter options for Pianoteq figure eight (8) microphones could make each of them behave as though they were true stereo, if the control was implemented.  Controls might allow you to stress one end of the microphone over its opposite‘s gain.

I have software which mimics such behavior in paired mics right now!

If you want to mike a room, as Qexl’s video demonstrates, but for virtual instruments, you may like to demo the software I use: VirtualSoundStage 2.0.  It includes stereo microphone setups (below) that you position freely in various virtual environments:

Mixed Stereophony

EBS
Stereophony:Mixed
Width:0.25m
Angle:90 deg
Capsules:2 x Cardioid

NOS
Width:0.3m

ORTF
Width:0.17m
Angle:110 deg

GHS
Width:0.6m
Capsules:2 x Subcardioid

Runtime Stereophony

AB30
Stereophony:Runtime
Width:0.3m
Angle:0 deg
Capsules:2 x Omnidirectional

AB60
Width:0.6m

AB90
Width:0.9m

AB120
Width:1.2m

AB200
Width:2.0m

Intensity Stereophony

XY60
Stereophony:Intensity
Width:0.0m
Angle:60 deg

XY90

XY120
Angle:120 deg

Blumlein
Capsules:2 x Figure-Eight

Other

Decca Tree
Width:2.0m
Depth:1.2m
Capsules:3 x Omnidirectional

Each setup (above) is useful in conjunction with the Pianoteq modeled SF-12 and SF-24, if you choose to use either in VirtualSoundStage 2.0.

You know you're always free to make your own mic mini presets out of the mic setups (above) whether or not MODARTT decides to make a larger variety of mic presets available.  Although, you'll have no way to save any mic descriptions to those setups, since a note pane intended specifically for mini presets such as microphone presets is as yet unsupported.

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (17-07-2019 01:31)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Wow, plenty to digest there, thanks Qexl and Amen! I tried equal output with a single SF-12 in Pianoteq and it sounded vaguely stereo-ish, but not very convincing. Maybe I had just put it in a bad location. I'll try again! But I have had some encouraging results mixing SF-12s with other mics.

ARP that software looks interesting, thanks. Looks like the mics are a pretty sweet component.

Excellent dazric,

The stereo effect of these kinds of arrays is probably best enjoyed on speakers.  For headphones something like NX Virtual Mix Room by Waves adds real world cross-talk between L&R (and whatever other psycho-acoustic things they do with micro delays etc.) which helps the effect seem more real, more like you're not in headphones but in the room.

If you do like moar stereo which translates to earphones possibly more blatantly too (as I do too depending) try mixing some wide mics along with it (mic on left with mostly the left chan and right mostly right chan), like low in the mix (back or close but wide as you like and bring in to taste).  That way, if main volume levels remain with the Blumlein pair, with a lower mixed mid-bassy mic (equal L&R to start) for body, plus 2 low mixed wide, you can get some appreciative depth - but can be an adventure.  Swap mic types to put the shine on the tones you like to hear tailored for the piece or type of playing.

For recording, often mics are going to be for collecting absolutely the most detail and closest tonal range you want - then later things like all other mixing tools (DAW, EQ compression, desk emulation and so on) can really finalise 'the overall' sound, including stereo width.

But when the mics are good, positioned well in Pianoteq it's got so much going for it - I'm always stunned when taking time to re-jig or re-attempt something I tried a few years ago.  Just an SF-24 sounds better than some multi-mic things I used to do to get a hot bright sound without a DAW involved.

You might also like to turn off level & delay compensation? (can mean a sort of more maybe organic effect in headphones, but lower volume happens, but remember the "gain" control in effects, or adjust mics volumes of course individually too), maybe leave the figure 8 with no L&R delay (but also good with some, I like over 8ms, just taste but ~5 works well too - maybe try more see how it gels with the other mics), give the bass one something like 9secs left and 35sec right delay and the wide mics adjust to effect with diff values if close or far.. see what happens - I like this kind of setup - there's no correct thing to do but play with balances and position/angles, check balance by playing chords everywhere.

BTW though, if you have a piece which you want to close mic for, check the key range, aim mics appropriately - you may or may not need or want a mic down in the bass end if you're just wanting mid to trebles.

It's such a luxury having 5 virtual mics to click around - but that many can get quite thick. I really have a few 5 mic setups (all different angles overhead - but it needs adjusting for every piano - most arrays are going to be needing some movement between presets - less so for simple ones).

Maybe it's a nice project, to simplify all that too.

dazric, perhaps I was unclear about a stereo balance implementation ostensibly for the figure eight (8) microphones like the SF-12 and SF-24.  So, I just edited my previous post.

I do like your idea about a zoomed 3d view.  Maybe developers will see to implement it into PIANOTEQ PRO since professional users require pinpoint accuracy in matching microphone placements in successful professional recordings, some Grammy winners.  A professional engineer wants a clear and unobstructed view into a piano body whenever he or she carefully positions microphones inside the piano for a studio recording.  Needless-to-say, if his or her studio location is Hollywood, the engineer wants quickly to measure piano microphone locations in feet and inches  —without needless wasted time whereas always valuable time is lost to the engineer forced to use and translate metric measurements, untimely and unnecessarily, especially anywhere near the vicinity of the Grammy awards.

Man, and do I like Mr. Johnson’s idea of a broadened selection of microphones  —but for professional users, specifically!  For PIANOTEQ, MODARTT could even reassemble the team it used to develop its current modeled microphones offering, to make new ones available in add-on packs  —but with selections of preamps packages added, geared to PIANOTEQ PRO users, who may become interested.

Personally, as a PIANOTEQ PRO user, l'd like to see the addition of the Earthworks PM-40 Piano Mic system and the Neumann TLM 102 added, if PIANOTEQ were to include simulated versions of both these and some models of microphone preamps.

1+ for mic preamps. It would be great to have some old Neves and API's to call up. And to have more mics. I hadn't thought about them as being add-on packs, but that could work.

And of course I'm still hoping to see more mic setups, as we've been discussing. Maybe a dropdown list with all of the major setups and the mics already linked for moving? We can right-click to call mic presets now, but I'm not sure many people find that, or would find that.  I'm not sure how, but it would be nice to have a note pane for the mics page, too, where the developers could include notes about each mic array--its advantages and disadvantages, suggestions about how to vary it, etc.

A way to change measurements from meters to feet would admittedly be good, too. It may seem lazy to people outside the US, but when you grow up measuring and thinking in inches and feet, you naturally see things and think in terms of inches and feet. It's not just Hollywood and LA. Nashville and New York, the other big U.S. music cities with many, many studios and musicians can think in terms of meters, but can work more quickly if given measurements in inches and feet.

A better way to position mics more accurately would be good too, but I would imagine that creating a 3D image of the piano cabinet would be hard and take up resources.

Amen:

Thanks for posting the link to Virtual Soundstage. I haven't had the chance to download and try it yet, but I've read just about everything on their site. I'm curious about their thinking about microphones, however. Apparently the program doesn't try to emulate or superimpose any mic's sound. It instead just takes the samples and creates delays and filters to mimic the various soundstages and arrays?

Have you made any solo Pianoteq recordings in Virtual Soundstage that you could post here or link us to on Youtube?

Yes, I would also welcome a wider range of professionally-produced presets to demonstrate the effects of various configurations and different mics. I wonder if Modartt could persuade some music producers to contribute presets, as Waves have done with their Abbey Road plugins? And if extra mics and pre-amps were to be an add-on or Pro-only feature, I think that would be acceptable to the majority of users.

dazric wrote:

Yes, I would also welcome a wider range of professionally-produced presets to demonstrate the effects of various configurations and different mics. I wonder if Modartt could persuade some music producers to contribute presets, as Waves have done with their Abbey Road plugins? And if extra mics and pre-amps were to be an add-on or Pro-only feature, I think that would be acceptable to the majority of users.

Partnering with producers to offer presets based around arrays is a great idea. Particularly if the people were chosen from a variety of locations and genres.

dazric wrote:

Experimenting with different mics, I got curious about the SF-12, so I Googled it. It's actually a stereo mic, as is the SF-24: https://royerlabs.com/microphones/ . In Pianoteq, these mics only seem to be modelled in mono. Or am I missing something?

I've always felt a bit queasy each time I looked at and used Pianoteq figure eight (8) microphones.  They just appeared gimmicky!  By my being an amateur mixer er amateurish audio engineer, I've had no idea the mics were supposed to have two (2) outputs each.  Although, they sound a bit much; that's maybe that which was oftentimes unneeded. 

Now my question is: "Who knew, on an actual physical figure eight (8) mic you have to adjust gain levels for both ends of it, separately?"

No amount of end user zealotry is going to gloss over or cover up what a Pianoteq figure eight (8) mic mechanically obviously lacks  —true stereo adjustment!

Until MODARTT adequately addresses this issue, end users like you, dazric, and I are going to have to use some workarounds, like two (2) mics positioned opposite each other horizontally forming a makeshift stereo figure eight (8) input, as Qexl suggested, for us to creatively reinvent a figure eight (8) source that actually has stereo gain levels independently controllable.

You know, dazric, if when within a Top view or Front view, you control click on a mic, you got (on the yellow pane, in addition to coordinates) a mic balance cell you fill with zero, or negative, or positive amounts, you could choose the stereophony you would like on a figure eight (8) microphone for both its ends simultaneously.  An option click by itself on a mic might even reveal another slide selector for a much quicker selection.

Jake Johnson wrote:

A better way to position mics more accurately would be good too, but I would imagine that creating a 3D image of the piano cabinet would be hard and take up resources.

Maybe all that is needed is a group of alternative images with enough detail to allow you to see your distance from hammers, dampeners, sides, strings, Etc., and a measurement means like the line between linked mics.  You already get a fullscreen mode without a loss in detail. 

No photorealistic image is absolutely necessary when a wire mesh will do.  Besides, dazric's idea of an assistant or even a separate application for professional users just to hone in on accurately measured mic placements when needed is genuinely worth some consideration.

I like to make the summation, some just want to see a graphical interface that is, well, one much more clearly graphic  —and without your having to grapple with its visually obscured artwork just to get it to work.

Jake Johnson wrote:

...I'm still hoping to see more mic setups...

I'm not sure how, but it would be nice to have a note pane for the mics page, too, where the developers could include notes about each mic array--its advantages and disadvantages, suggestions about how to vary it, etc.

Have you got an idea there!  Perhaps they'll want to be sure to include all the existing preset mic variations that already accompany Pianoteq instrument presets, before any signature mic presets are even offered (just for thorough end users to make informed decisions in microphone placement).  I, for one, nay, all for one, and one for all, have much to learn!

People, though I feel we've had a little board meeting of our own, probably we'll just have to now wait and see whether or not members of MODARTT are willing to get on board with some of the ideas of us end users  —musicians!

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (23-07-2019 22:42)

Guys, I’ve now my own experiment using the XY90 microphone setup.  And, I’ve recently discovered if ever I need to convey a strong sense of some extreme intensity, audibly, it’ll thoroughly do just that in any musical arrangement, as its mic setup.

In the My Funny Valentine song in which I too employed the setup, it seems to intensify the overall sound of Doug McKenzie’s very expressive playing style.  But, admittedly I consider myself often taken by that song as it reminds me of Lucille Ball.

Possibly complicating my memory, at a piano my ex-girlfriend performed in an honorarium to Lucy that was held in Hollywood.

Anyway, I posted the XY90 microphone setup in a preset to FXP Corner:

https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/file/5xt6ma7o
Let’s see how the voting goes!

Jake Johnson wrote:

...I'm still hoping to see more mic setups...

I'm not sure how, but it would be nice to have a note pane for the mics page, too, where the developers could include notes about each mic array--its advantages and disadvantages, suggestions about how to vary it, etc.

Man, you know, as stated earlier, you're free to make your own mic mini presets out of the mic setups I listed (above) whether or not MODARTT decides to make a larger variety of mic presets available.  Although, you'll have no really convenient way to save any mic descriptions to those setups, since the note pane you suggest specifically for microphone presets is as yet unsupported.

Jake Johnson wrote:

Amen:

Thanks for posting the link to Virtual Soundstage. I haven't had the chance to download and try it yet, but I've read just about everything on their site. I'm curious about their thinking about microphones, however. Apparently the program doesn't try to emulate or superimpose any mic's sound. It instead just takes the samples and creates delays and filters to mimic the various soundstages and arrays?

Have you made any solo Pianoteq recordings in Virtual Soundstage that you could post here or link us to on Youtube?

Personally, I have no way to speculate if VirtualSoundStage 2.0 secretly incorporates modeled microphone brands or not.  To me it is entirely convincing, though, enough to leave me a happy end user!

Jake, you've been inquiring about any possible audio examples I may have to demonstrate my uses of various software packages (including VirtualSoundStage 2.0) with regards to Pianoteq (https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopi...07#p959507).  If you're still interested, you may want to hear just what I've accomplished as an amateur audio engineer with the unmodified Steinway B Close Mic preset in my DAW.  Its unaltered default values I put through some major enhancements completely transforming it into, convincingly, a studio quality production! 

I switched off the preset limiter  —of course!

See forum post: Engineering Pianoteq Steinway B Close Mic Preset.

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (09-08-2019 06:30)

Well guys, Jake and dazric, with regards to your XY90 (fxp) microphone setups, you each just got a 5 rating from me.  Although, my XY90 (fxp) setup gets no vote at all from people! 

Admittedly, it sounds somewhat like a toy piano in the comparison to the both of yours.  Perhaps it is that mine just stands out in its own league, far from a fellow struggling artist's endeavor  —but just as misunderstood.

Seriously, I am in awe by your attention to details to make the presets and what they ultimately might mean to others who downloaded your creations.  Certainly to me they impart a sense of intimacy for a discerning music listener such as myself to appreciate, quietly.

Man, Jake, I really have to sit myself down somewhere and intently listen to hear over and over the subtlety of nuances you captured from Mr. Doug McKenzie’s adagio performance, that of the song My Funny Valentine.  It to me is sublime. 

When I attended a Utah college  —let me say, before I dropped out— one of the college professors (who allegedly taught music appreciation) remarked er stipulated; music commonly called classical had been misnomered, but, actually is serious music.  Well, while he was referring to his abstraction to the majority of the students who wanted to receive high grades from him, I left his class and did some referring of my own within my soon smoke filled dorm room, if you get my meaning.  Understandably, I was an adolescent who failed to recognize inanimate objects as suddenly baring human characteristics and attitudes endowed in them or becoming newly fashioned high fangled false-god like in appearances  —from chiefly the traditions that now have long been established inside the state run western university institutions.  Remarkably, I fail to accept, personally, any animism from accusatory and universally hypocritical teachers indeed who verbally teach or instruct outside of sub Saharan locations, but, only to belittle the lives of fellow inhabitants from their apparent selfsame animistic beliefs.

I know I just got off on a tangent!

My point is; one is a serious human being musician indeed if he or she (whether a newbie to Pianoteq or not) gives an audience to your preset rendition, and appreciably and deservingly so.

Now I like to say at the end of this post, with the Age of Aquarius approaching (and with both new users and old timers alike needing to soak up as much information as possible about Pianoteq presets, in the imagined words from Maynard G. Krebs a jazz piano playin' sidekick inside Max Shulman's Dobie Gillis, if you will, "School us, Big Daddy."

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (25-09-2019 22:10)

Thank you, Amen, you're very kind! I don't consider myself any sort of expert in fxp setting. My XY setting (a variation on a theme of Jake Johnson) was kind of a 'happy accident' - it just worked out so well that I had to post it, and I'm glad it's being enjoyed. I've attempted lots of other mic settings, some have been OK-ish, but many others I've dismissed as rubbish or archived for possible future revision. If I do come up with any more 'happy accidents' I'll be pleased to post them! It's great that we have such a pool of knowledge here on the forum, and that we can all learn from each other.

Let's hope that we see more mic presets in the next release of Pianoteq, particularly some xy pairs. I still like the idea of having producers known for their piano work create presets, too.