Topic: Concert Grand Hammered Dulcimer - Yes, please! :)

Hi!
I'm Samuel and completely new to this forum.
I've used Pianoteq for a while now though and can't tell you how amazed I am by the authenticity of this product.

I didn't find a feature/instrument-request forum, so I though I'd just post mine here and see what happens.

I really would like to have a Concert Grand Hammered Dulcimer among my Pianoteq instruments.
There are sampled ones out there, but they're just samples of the individual notes.. They don't sound like one genuine instrument the way the Pianoteq-products do.

Any thoughs?

Re: Concert Grand Hammered Dulcimer - Yes, please! :)

Wikipedia says a cimbalom is a concert hammered dulcimer -- this instrument is available via KiVIR.

Is there a difference between concert and concert grand?

Last edited by Mossy (23-06-2016 11:27)

Yep, check out cimbalom from KiViR collection (which is a free add-on).

Hard work and guts!

Ah, alright.
I should have done my research on this before posting. Sorry about that!
I have the free instruments, I'll try it out!

There however is a harpsichord among the free ones and they just released one for purchase.
My guess is that they haven't put as much work into the ones you can download for free.

But I haven't tried out the free one yet.  Maybe it's awesome.
..But then again, there must me some difference between the free ones and the ones you pay for, otherwise there would be no reason for purchasing the new harpsichord.

samuellidstrom wrote:

My guess is that they haven't put as much work into the ones you can download for free.

And you'd be wrong. The differences are - it's a different model, so it sounds different. Obviously. The free harpsichords are very good sounding still.

Last edited by EvilDragon (23-06-2016 12:26)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:
samuellidstrom wrote:

And you'd be wrong. The differences are - it's a different model, so it sounds different. Obviously. The free harpsichords are very good sounding still.

And you misunderstood. I never said the free instruments don't sound very good.
What I'm saying is that they obviously must have put more work and research into the instruments they want money for.

If you have any information that proves they put as much work into the free ones as they do into the ones we pay for I'd love to see that.
If you don't have that information I think it's a bit bold to claim I'm wrong about this.

Last edited by samuellidstrom (23-06-2016 13:36)

samuellidstrom wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
samuellidstrom wrote:

And you misunderstood. I never said the free instruments don't sound very good.
What I'm saying is that they obviously must have put more work and research into the instruments they want money for.

If you have any information that proves they put as much work into the free ones as they do into the ones we pay for I'd love to see that.
If you don't have that information I think it's a bit bold to claim I'm wrong about this.

Kivir instruments are just as good as the other models. The fact that are free should not confuse you or anybody else. Modart keeps updating also these instruments from time to time. Take the CP80: electric piano, free and probably one of the best rendition of this classic Yamaha keyboard. Same goes for the Pleyel or the Erard.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

samuellidstrom wrote:

I have the information - I participated in the beta tests of KiViR instrument updates. Modartt definitely took time and care on those.

Last edited by EvilDragon (23-06-2016 14:45)
Hard work and guts!

Yeah, the CP80 is an amazing instrument with a lot of potential for self-expression. Yamaha made it, but the Pianoteq version is much more realistic than the CP80 voice that comes with my Yamaha keyboard.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

Try the Cimbalom from the freebies. If you have Ptq Pro you can probably get the sound you're after but it will take some work: there are a lot of parameters to tweak and it's not trivial to get them sounding the way you want them. That's just the way it is with any multivariate model you're trying to fit to a desirable outcome.

3/2 = 5

samuellidstrom wrote:

Samuel Lidstrom, your comments are ignorant.

You are brand-new here, by your own admission. Why are you making this totally unfounded accusation? What evidence or information do you have to support your insinuations?

Those of us who have been Pianoteq customers for many years, and who have spent many hours over many years playing all these instruments, know that you are wrong, based on our experiences and what we have witnessed.

I for one have been involved in giving feedback on several projects over several years to help Pianoteq to continue to refine and improve their instruments, including the KIViR "free" ones. They keep getting better and better.

You, on the other hand, come in here, by your own admission, with no experience using Pianoteq, never having tried the KIViR package at all, and you insist that you are right to call these products inferior. Don't you think you are the one being "bold" here? You are acting like a troll.

Since you are new here, why not keep your mouth shut and read what other people have posted, and work with the product, so that you can actually learn something before you spout off negative comments about things concerning which you are totally ignorant?

Last edited by Wheat Williams (27-06-2016 19:00)
Dayton, Ohio, United States of America
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave • Apple MacBook Pro (2017), no Touch Bar • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 core • 8GB RAM

There are a lot of models, and they were created in different times. Usually the newer ones sounds better due evolution/refinements of pianoteq core technology.

Indee many free instruments sounded better, in terms of naturality, than the ones to buy, when pianoteq was in version 2 and 3 or so. Many pianofortes sounded more natural than grand piano for sale, I remamber, and we used to ask Modartt why.

The free harpsichords were created a considerable time ago, and got some update/refurbish. The sound improve some degree but it's not exactlçy the same thing as a whole new harpsichord model freshly analyzed and created with the last knowhow, like the last harpsichord model (for sale) that sounds just perfect.

So, let's be a little bit more humble and polish.

Last edited by Beto-Music (28-06-2016 01:01)

I was asked to be beta-tester for one of the freebies but had to decline due to other commitments. But on the basis of what I've seen of the development process behind the scenes, the free instruments are every bit as well constructed as the ones you pay for. My experiences with Pianoteq instrument also confirms this. Some of my faves are from the KIViR collection.

My impression is that the Ptq guys and gals are just a bunch of nerds: they need to make money to keep the project going but they are more motivated by passion for what they do.

3/2 = 5