Topic: C5 is much louder than any other key on Model D

I hope other people can hear and experience this too. Can someone confirm?

The 5th C on the steinway model D is about 30 to 60% loader than its close relatives. Its easy to see and hear when comparing with the same velocity on its closes neighbours. The volume indicator adds at least one more bar on a medium volume level 

I think this must be a bug. Tweaks must have been made to this specific key twice or something like that.

The effect is much bigger on the Warm preset than the standard D preset.

Its really my only complaint so far with the new D which is very very nice. But this is bothering me so much and I only own one grand piano atm so its kind of a big deal for me.

Last edited by snurrfint (25-01-2024 10:42)

Re: C5 is much louder than any other key on Model D

I had noticed this as well, just thought it was my controller (I use a temporary setup different than my usual FP80). Checking it again, it is present in both Steinways D, NY and HB. I don't hear it on Steingraeber, Bechstein DG or Petrof Mistral, however, so it doesn't seem to come from my controller. Contrary to you however, the effect is not more pronounced in Steinway NY Warm that the basic "model D", quite the opposite. We need to hear from more users to confirm if it's really there.

snurrfint wrote:

I hope other people can hear and experience this too. Can someone confirm?

The 5th C on the steinway model D is about 30 to 60% loader than its close relatives. Its easy to see and hear when comparing with the same velocity on its closes neighbours. The volume indicator adds at least one more bar on a medium volume level 

I think this must be a bug. Tweaks must have been made to this specific key twice or something like that.

The effect is much bigger on the Warm preset than the standard D preset.

Its really my only complaint so far with the new D which is very very nice. But this is bothering me so much and I only own one grand piano atm so its kind of a big deal for me.

Last edited by aWc (25-01-2024 18:59)
PT 7.3 with Steinway B and D, U4 upright, YC5, Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Ant. Petrov, Kremsegg Collection #2, Electric Pianos and Hohner Collection. http://antoinewcaron.com

aWc wrote:

I had noticed this as well, just thought it was my controller (I use a temporary setup different than my usual FP80). Checking it again, it is present in both Steinways D, NY and HB. I don't hear it on Steingraeber, Bechstein DG or Petrof Mistral, however, so it doesn't seem to come from my controller. Contrary to you however, the effect is not more pronounced in Steinway NY Warm that the basic "model D", quite the opposite. We need to hear from more users to confirm if it's really there.

Thanks for the report! Im sure it's not my controller as well the velocity is the same. Its just that the 5C is much more louder. I didn't test the HB D. But I know its not on the B model or any other grand for that matter. Strange that you find the loudness toned down in the Warm preset. Its the exact opposite for me.

Is this new with the 8.2 or has it always been like this. I didn't play them that much before 8.2 as I didn't like the sound of them.

Wow, I considered making a post about this, but I thought it was just me. I only bought Pianoteq Stage a couple weeks ago right before the 8.2 update, so I don't really know what it sounds like before the update.

I have the Steinway Model D and the Petrof grand pianos. To me, the NY Steinway is worse than the HB Steinway and the Petrof pianos. I also think the NY warm makes it sound even worse. I was testing all the fifth octave keys with the same velocity and always thought that the C5 sounded brighter and the attack harsher(don't know if that is the correct description) than the others keys. I've been playing the HB Steinway and Petrof pianos more because of this issue even though I like the overall sound of the NY Steinway.

Last edited by Evo (25-01-2024 20:52)

Evo wrote:

Wow, I considered making a post about this, but I thought it was just me. I only bought Pianoteq Stage a couple weeks ago right before the 8.2 update, so I don't really know what it sounds like before the update.

I have the Steinway Model D and the Petrof grand pianos. To me, the NY Steinway is worse than the HB Steinway and the Petrof pianos. I also think the NY warm makes it sound even worse. I was testing all the fifth octave keys with the same velocity and always thought that the C5 sounded brighter and the attack harsher(don't know if that is the correct description) than the others keys. I've been playing the HB Steinway and Petrof pianos more because of this issue even though I like the overall sound of the NY Steinway.

Thanks. Yes, the attack feels harder, I agree, so thats probably why the volume also is higher. Something is very off, thats for sure. Now we have 3 reports of the same issue. I guess we can rule out coinsidence at this point.

I will probably make this a support issue tomorrow or something. Maybe someone know a solution or maybe a fix is already being worked on, who knows.

Last edited by snurrfint (25-01-2024 21:49)

So far there are 4 "yes" votes and 2 "no" votes.
I wonder if there are differences in the setup between those who hear the problem and those who don't?
I'm one of the "no" votes, and I tried very hard to hear a difference. I even tried different octaves just in case I misunderstood which C is C5. I also tried various Steinway D presets for both the Hamburg and NY models - still nothing.

In case it matters, my setup is as follows:
Roland FP90X with built-in USB audio directly connected to Microsoft Surface Pro running Windows 10, using standalone PTQ 8.2 Pro

UPDATE: I set my controller to send fixed midi velocity of 100, and now I can both hear the difference and see it on the PTQ volume meter.
So my "no" vote should now be a "yes" vote

Last edited by larrycalame (26-01-2024 22:16)

larrycalame wrote:

I wonder if there are differences in the setup between those who hear the problem and those who don't?
I'm one of the "no" votes, and I tried very hard to hear a difference. I even tried different octaves just in case I misunderstood which C is C5. I also tried various Steinway D presets for both the Hamburg and NY models - still nothing.

Roland FP90X with built-in USB audio directly connected to Microsoft Surface Pro running Windows 10, using standalone PTQ 8.2

The right way is to use a DAW and send the exact same volume MIDI every time, not rely on the keyboard

dikrek wrote:
larrycalame wrote:

Roland FP90X with built-in USB audio directly connected to Microsoft Surface Pro running Windows 10, using standalone PTQ 8.2

The right way is to use a DAW and send the exact same volume MIDI every time, not rely on the keyboard

I don't disagree with that, but I did look at the midi velocity indicator on the PTQ screen and did not see significant differences in the values being sent when I played C5 and surrounding notes. Also, if the difference is imperceptible while I'm playing, I think it means one of these things:
1. I consistently play C5 softer than I do the surrounding notes
2. My keyboard consistently sends lower midi velocity for C5 than for surrounding keys
3. The problem is imperceptible to my ear, as I'm nearly 70 years old

I think I can rule out 1 and 2 above because, in addition to not seeing difference on the PTQ midi velocity screen, I also tested other non-Steinway presets that purportedly do not have the issue, and found no difference. I can't rule out #3 but I have noticed some differences (other than volume) at the note level on some presets which led me to upgrade to the pro version with its note edit capability. Also I have a similar complaint on the built-in tones of my Casio PS-X5000 in which I'm hearing G5 to be both louder and brighter to my ear, so I do notice things like that. But perhaps the problem is quite real and independent of setup, and I'm just blessed with older ears that don't detect it.   

Do others notice the difference while playing or are they playing a midi file with fixed velocities?

UPDATE: I set my controller to send fixed midi velocity of 100, and now I can both hear the difference and see it on the PTQ volume meter.

Last edited by larrycalame (26-01-2024 22:19)

snurrfint wrote:

The 5th C on the steinway model D is about 30 to 60% loader than its close relatives.

What are you talking about?
The key with the label C4 in the online User manual and which appears as "Note 072 On (C5)" in Pianoteq's MIDI monitor?

https://i.postimg.cc/wvTZKC6c/Online-User-manual-pianoteq-20240126.png

larrycalame wrote:
dikrek wrote:
larrycalame wrote:

I don't disagree with that, but I did look at the midi velocity indicator on the PTQ screen and did not see significant differences in the values being sent when I played C5 and surrounding notes. Also, if the difference is imperceptible while I'm playing, I think it means one of these things:
2. My keyboard consistently sends lower midi velocity for C5 than for surrounding keys

I think I can rule out 1 and 2 above because, in addition to not seeing difference on the PTQ midi velocity screen, I also tested other non-Steinway presets that purportedly do not have the issue, and found no difference. I can't rule out #3 but I have noticed some differences (other than volume) at the note level on some presets which led me to upgrade to the pro version with its note edit capability. Also I have a similar complaint on the built-in tones of my Casio PS-X5000 in which I'm hearing G5 to be both louder and brighter to my ear, so I do notice things like that. But perhaps the problem is quite real and independent of setup, and I'm just blessed with older ears that don't detect it.   

Do others notice the difference while playing or are they playing a midi file with fixed velocities?

Thanks for doing it the scientific way with the fixed velocity - you should report it to support if you haven’t already (I know they look at the forum but an official support request is always best)

dikrek wrote:
larrycalame wrote:
dikrek wrote:

Thanks for doing it the scientific way with the fixed velocity - you should report it to support if you haven’t already (I know they look at the forum but an official support request is always best)

I tend to play softly, so I think my prior attempts to perceive the issue probably suffered not from velocity differences per se, but from the fact that, to my ears at least, the issue was imperceptible at the lower velocities I was playing.  It's also worth noting that I continued to play (at fixed velocity of 100) other notes in other ranges and other models, and I could see and hear noticeable differences from note to note for notes other than C5 and models other than the Steinway D. So I wonder if at least some of the differences are by design, so as to "humanize" the models.

dikrek wrote:
larrycalame wrote:
dikrek wrote:

I notice it easily without fixed velocity. I can set my keyboard to fixed if I want to. The easiest way to see the problem is to turn down the volume dynamics to 0. All notes register around the same volume  except C5.

Edit: Well no I was wrong, the C6 is way lower than its neighbours. Could it be that somewhere in the code, the 5th and 6th C got mixed up. That would be funny actually.

snurrfint, I could not find any particular volume issue on the NY Steinway D Classical. Could you send a request to https://www.modartt.com/support and provide:
- a midi file demonstrating the issue,
- an audio file exported from that midi file using Pianoteq standalone version, using an unmodified default preset,
- the name of the instrument/preset used.
That would help greatly!

Assuming the opener meant MIDI Note 072, I do not have a volume issue with it.

Tried presets ...
NY Steinway Model D
HB Steinway Model D

I used their factory defaults (the read-only preset stored on disk). Loaded by left-click for 1 second on the preset.

Then I added a constant velocity curve, here my example for constant velocity value 64:

https://i.postimg.cc/ZY8wvYjR/constant-Note-On-velocity-64.png

This horizontal line can be easily moved up and down with the arrow keys after selecting the dot (btw it would be a nice feature if the dot could change its color after selecting).

I tried constant velocity 64 and 100 while playing notes on the keyboard in the nearby octaves.
No volume issues.

Pianoteq Standard
8.2.0/20240115 (Standalone)
Linux

Last edited by groovy (27-01-2024 10:34)

I just tested this on my copy of Pianoteq Studio 8.2/20240115 on macOS 14.2.1 using Logic Pro 10.8.1.

Using the Steinway D, I created a midi track that ran identical note velocities from C2 to C7 so I could be sure to capture any anomalies that might arise from note naming differences.

I used both the VU meters and rendered the file to audio so I could inspect the waveform.

I coud not measure (VU meter), see (waveform), or hear (ears) any differences. Note volumes were  consistent up to about D5 where they begin to gradually decrease as expected.

wonner wrote:

I just tested this on my copy of Pianoteq Studio 8.2/20240115 on macOS 14.2.1 using Logic Pro 10.8.1.

Using the Steinway D, I created a midi track that ran identical note velocities from C2 to C7 so I could be sure to capture any anomalies that might arise from note naming differences.

I used both the VU meters and rendered the file to audio so I could inspect the waveform.

I coud not measure (VU meter), see (waveform), or hear (ears) any differences. Note volumes were  consistent up to about D5 where they begin to gradually decrease as expected.

I did exactly the same test with a midi file generated with identical velocity with virtually no audible or visible volume difference and check the default note edit volume which is actually lower for C5 in the model D preset . Just as a matter of curiosity I use pianoteq on Mac OS . Are the users who have experienced a C5 volume issue , window users ?

I wouldn't necessarily say the volume of C5 is louder. To me, it's more like the hammer hardness for that particular note is higher than any other key.  I did a quick test with a fixed velocity of 50 with the NY Steinway Model D preset but I also hear it on other NY Steinway presets. To my ears, C5 sounds brighter and has a harder attack. Hopefully I'm not the only one that can hear the difference. I am using Windows it that makes a difference.

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...20test.mp3

Last edited by Evo (28-01-2024 02:25)

In case helpful..

Note:

Presets:

#
Model D

##
Warm

I think it's evidently beyond subjective, that there is what I categorise as a small diff (nicely described above by Evo!).

To me, it suits the presets however and is not present in recording/performance style presets.

The 2 presets are - "Model D" and "Warm" - it's small but maybe some might be bothered by it.

If any alteration is decided upon - I'd for sure be fine with a small change - esp. though, if it's reasonably fractional. But am not moved too strongly either way. I do like this diff for a personal opinion.

If it was inherent in the piano supplied, academically, it's nice to keep the diff?

If it's in Warm only apart from Model D... that character preset doesn't suffer too much from it. I do kind of like it.

But in the end, we have "Condition slider" - so maybe if Warm is tightened up, people who like more diffs (character and loosened up a little), they can still quickly achieve something like that..

although.. maybe Steinway know why they added the little 'extra' in a C melody home note?? I'm not sure that it's not actually 'meant to' be there?? ;()

For the fine folks who did a really good thing posting here!! I like what I see.. Maybe worth suggesting, groovy is right - it is definitely really useful to use the MIDI number in stead of C5.. that can be different in different locales.. but the MIDI number is instantly locked in - no misunderstanding or duplicated efforts across incorrect octaves.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Qexl wrote:

In case helpful..

Note:

Presets:

#
Model D

##
Warm

I think it's evidently beyond subjective, that there is what I categorise as a small diff (nicely described above by Evo!).

To me, it suits the presets however and is not present in recording/performance style presets.

The 2 presets are - "Model D" and "Warm" - it's small but maybe some might be bothered by it.

If any alteration is decided upon - I'd for sure be fine with a small change - esp. though, if it's reasonably fractional. But am not moved too strongly either way. I do like this diff for a personal opinion.

If it was inherent in the piano supplied, academically, it's nice to keep the diff?

If it's in Warm only apart from Model D... that character preset doesn't suffer too much from it. I do kind of like it.

But in the end, we have "Condition slider" - so maybe if Warm is tightened up, people who like more diffs (character and loosened up a little), they can still quickly achieve something like that..

although.. maybe Steinway know why they added the little 'extra' in a C melody home note?? I'm not sure that it's not actually 'meant to' be there?? ;()

For the fine folks who did a really good thing posting here!! I like what I see.. Maybe worth suggesting, groovy is right - it is definitely really useful to use the MIDI number in stead of C5.. that can be different in different locales.. but the MIDI number is instantly locked in - no misunderstanding or duplicated efforts across incorrect octaves.

I think midi number is way harder to understand. The fifth C is only worse if you can't count to 5. But its a matter of taste.

For me personally, its more than a small increase in volume. I'ts a very noticable increase. Like my original post says. Its maybe a 25% increase in the standard Model D preset, and up to maybe 50% in others like Warm. Its way more than what Evo's sample, I could barly hear any difference there, maybe a slight.

It is interesting - for sure - I can clearly hear the diff on both Model D and Warm.. to similar extents - but you say it's much worse on Warm..

Also if you hear some 25 or even 50 or 60% jump, to me, it indicate that your C5 (don't use the MIDI note number.. I mentioned it earlier, but I think I got away with it - crossed fingies!!) key could be accelerating differently. Such a physical annoyance, kind of made extra annoying that it may coincide with a slightly brighter note on a preferred preset.

But for sure send the bits Philippe requested to support - wondering if some attenuation to the note on both those presets arrives closer to a nicer outcome in your case? Good luck!!

https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php...59#p994959

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

50 - 60 % more psychoacoustic loudness of one note in snurrfint's (unknown) audio environment? That seems to be a lot. This is a factor of 150 - 160 % or 1.5 - 1.6.

At http://sengpielaudio.com/calculator-loudness.htm in the Table: Factor, Power Gain, Voltage Gain, and Loudness Gain a factor of 1.516 means +6 dB of (psychoacoustic) loudness gain.

An indication of the differences at signal level is my following snapshot:

I recorded B4, C5 and Db5 of the v8.2.0 NY Steinway D Warm with a constant velocity of 100 in Pianoteq and exported the notes to a WAV and reimported to Audacity. With its Contrast tool I measured the average level (RMS) of the first 0.25 s of each note, example:

https://i.postimg.cc/fThJN7Lj/3-notes-B4-C5-Db5-velocity100-NY-Steinway-D-Warm.png

B4 -18.56 dB
C5 -18.56 dB
Db5 -18.88 dB

With a double decay of 0.50 s the average signal level (RMS) has been lower of course:

B4 -20.04 dB
C5 -20,18 dB
Db5 -21,10 dB

Keep in mind, that Pianoteq is a virtual acoustic instrument with resonances, two or more virtual microphones at different locations of the soundboard, strings and room acoustics. Everything depends randomly on the start conditions and two played notes have never an identical waveform.

So it is remarkable, that the adjacent notes do not differ more than <1 dB in this example. I doubt you would find a real Acoustic Piano with such even note volumes.

The new 8.2.0 NY Steinway D Warm is a wonderful preset by the way, I'm starting to like it!

PS:
Eventually the asymmetry of the stereo channels is audible under certain conditions.
In my above example the three notes (0.25 s) of the left channel have:
B4 -16.70 dB
C5 -19.77 dB
Db5 -17.83 dB

The three notes of the right channel:
B4 -21.94 dB
C5 -17.61 dB
Db5 -20.26 dB

As you can see, C5's left channel is a few dB quieter than its adjacents, the right channel a few dB louder.

Last edited by groovy (28-01-2024 20:15)

OMG!
I made a mistake...I misread the original post! I thought I read C #, because that is the note that sounded louder on my system. Obviously the OP was about natural C5!   I guess that's the kind of mistake one makes by going too fast, excited by the fact that someone might have the same issue.
I am sorry for the inconvenience, and for taking so long to make the correction (I was offline for a few days). Very embarassing to say the least...

PT 7.3 with Steinway B and D, U4 upright, YC5, Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Ant. Petrov, Kremsegg Collection #2, Electric Pianos and Hohner Collection. http://antoinewcaron.com

groovy wrote:

50 - 60 % more psychoacoustic loudness of one note in snurrfint's (unknown) audio environment? That seems to be a lot. This is a factor of 150 - 160 % or 1.5 - 1.6.

At http://sengpielaudio.com/calculator-loudness.htm in the Table: Factor, Power Gain, Voltage Gain, and Loudness Gain a factor of 1.516 means +6 dB of (psychoacoustic) loudness gain.

An indication of the differences at signal level is my following snapshot:

I recorded B4, C5 and Db5 of the v8.2.0 NY Steinway D Warm with a constant velocity of 100 in Pianoteq and exported the notes to a WAV and reimported to Audacity. With its Contrast tool I measured the average level (RMS) of the first 0.25 s of each note, example:

https://i.postimg.cc/fThJN7Lj/3-notes-B4-C5-Db5-velocity100-NY-Steinway-D-Warm.png

B4 -18.56 dB
C5 -18.56 dB
Db5 -18.88 dB

With a double decay of 0.50 s the average signal level (RMS) has been lower of course:

B4 -20.04 dB
C5 -20,18 dB
Db5 -21,10 dB

Keep in mind, that Pianoteq is a virtual acoustic instrument with resonances, two or more virtual microphones at different locations of the soundboard, strings and room acoustics. Everything depends randomly on the start conditions and two played notes have never an identical waveform.

So it is remarkable, that the adjacent notes do not differ more than <1 dB in this example. I doubt you would find a real Acoustic Piano with such even note volumes.

The new 8.2.0 NY Steinway D Warm is a wonderful preset by the way, I'm starting to like it!

PS:
Eventually the asymmetry of the stereo channels is audible under certain conditions.
In my above example the three notes (0.25 s) of the left channel have:
B4 -16.70 dB
C5 -19.77 dB
Db5 -17.83 dB

The three notes of the right channel:
B4 -21.94 dB
C5 -17.61 dB
Db5 -20.26 dB

As you can see, C5's left channel is a few dB quieter than its adjacents, the right channel a few dB louder.

My enviroment is the official app on iPad OS. So as official as it can be. No DAWs. Only usb-c audio out from the ipad.

You don't need no fancy equipment. When I play b4 and c5 with the exact same velocity, pianoteq's own volume meeter register at least one more bar of volume. More than one for high velocity. And the sound that comes out is much louder. I wonder if it has to do with the sterio settings mensioned above that the left channel is higher than the right. I mostly play with the built in speakers of my yamaha CSP-170. That doesn't explain pianoteqs own volume meeter though.

I would post images of the two notes with 100 velocity side by side if I knew how to add images.

Anyway. Thanks for trying to help. I feel like most people don't experience the same issue as I do unfortunately.

snurrfint wrote:

When I play b4 and c5 with the exact same velocity, pianoteq's own volume meeter register at least one more bar of volume. More than one for high velocity.

You always provide partial information, so that things can't be reproduced and verified :-)
Which of both notes has one more bar? B4 or C5? At which "exact same velocity"? And which value had been "high velocity"? Which preset are you exactly talking about? Have you ensured that the preset is factory default?

(Teaser: When I guess your probable answers, B4 and C5 behave differently on my system ...)

groovy wrote:
snurrfint wrote:

When I play b4 and c5 with the exact same velocity, pianoteq's own volume meeter register at least one more bar of volume. More than one for high velocity.

You always provide partial information, so that things can't be reproduced and verified :-)
Which of both notes has one more bar? B4 or C5? At which "exact same velocity"? And which value had been "high velocity"? Which preset are you exactly talking about? Have you ensured that the preset is factory default?

(Teaser: When I guess your probable answers, B4 and C5 behave differently on my system ...)

Lol, partial information. Take a breather man.

1. "Which of both notes has one more bar? B4 or C5?"
Maybe, you shpuld read the thread title to figure out the answer?
2. "At which "exact same velocity"?
Its louder at all velocities. If it wasn't I would have statad otherwise. Its add more bars to the volume meeter because 30% louder amounts to more bars at a higher velocity. It's just easier to see, and demonstates the problem better.
3.  At which "exact same velocity"?
Who cares, it doesn't really matter. Pick one.
4.  "Which preset are you exactly talking about?"
Read the original post before accusing me of not providing info.
5. "Have you ensured that the preset is factory default?"
Is oviously not factory default as I use a fixed velocity to test. But the only parameters I have changed is the main volume and velocity curve.

Ok, so I found a fix! Yey!

It seems the bug is related to the Freeze settings, possibly after updating from 1 version to another.

The first thing I do when opening the app is to turn on the freeze settings as I want to keep the velocity and volume settings from my previous session. Obviously.

Well, I turned the whole thing off and flipped through all my favourite presets and noticed that the problem was fixed. Then I applied my prefered velocity curve and volume and it still worked.

And before anyone thinks that I must have accidentally locked in changes to a specific note. I dont own the pro version so I can't modify specific nodes, and I have never locked in any effects or other settings during my testing.

Now, c5 is actually slightly, but just verly very slightly more scilent than b4, which to me sounds reasonable.

If anyone still experience the same problem I encurage them to try the same method as me. Thanks again for all the replies.

Congrats!

If you have a problem next time, please try to be exactly if you want help.

I had to ask you for B4 and C5 explicitly because on my system B4 has a slightly higher peak than C5 on Pianoteq's "volume meter" under my listed conditions. That was opposite to your observation and an indication, that your settings had not been correct. Now we know why, typical PEBKAC error.

Good luck!

groovy wrote:

Congrats!

If you have a problem next time, please try to be exactly if you want help.

I had to ask you for B4 and C5 explicitly because on my system B4 has a slightly higher peak than C5 on Pianoteq's "volume meter" under my listed conditions. That was opposite to your observation and an indication, that your settings had not been correct. Now we know why, typical PEBKAC error.

Good luck!

No, you had to ask for b4 and c5 because you didn't even read the topic. Please dont lie to me.

Wow. and PEBKAC?!?!? How exactly was it my fault??? If Pianoteq for some reason makes my c5 key 30% louder than any other key without me directly modifying said key, its a straight up bug in the application. It oviously had nothing to do with my environment or my settings, as I could fix it by tempering with completely unrelated settings.

I litterally had to reset all my presets to factory level to make a certain key function normally. Thats not my fault, is it. If it was, I would like to know what I did wrong.

groovy, are you assosiated with pianoteq in any way? Im really dissapointed if you are.

snurrfint wrote:

C6 is way lower than its neighbours.

LUFS and Peak meters in Cakewalk show C5 (Note Number 48 = C below  middle C) of the default NY Steinway D is about 2dB louder than its immediate neighbors. It also shows the C6 above that is about 1dB softer than its neghbors, but that level of variation in loudness of adjacent notes can be found elsewhere on the keyboard and doesn't seem extraordinary.

Out of curiosity, I tried my NY Steinway D Jazz Recording - Dry preset (no limiter, no reverb) and found C5 was no louder than the B below it, but the C# above it was a full 2.5dB softer while the next D was again comparable to C5.

EDIT: Oops. missed a bunch of newer posts. What I wrote above may be moot, but I'll leave it up FWIW.

Last edited by brundlefly (29-01-2024 03:31)

Excellent news! Hope you can kind of un-hear that little diff - and enjoy the D !!

Seems naff - but I like it when a... "you call that a plan??" comes tegothre!

BTW - Great data and discovery Groovy.. after seeing that, I was going to suggest snurrfint tries altering stereo field (dpiano speakers being kind of tuned for the dpiano's sound lib and specifics galore). I'd still try altering stereo field setting, if I were using my old dpiano speakers - could be a good thing for any dpiano speaker user to try out.. they can have a quite different width by default, against a traditional monitor setup - and be more directionally diffuse.

Heya @aWc - nobody should be embarrassed - you are a true gent imo

Hey btw @snurrfint - firstly, glad to see you use Freeze function.. I was saving up a suggestion to use it, to capture the action related items from the preset you prefer (like maybe Classical Recording) where the action/keys would be more concert/performance ready.. and freeze those things (like hammer hardness etc. - even just that).. and then apply that to for example Warm - Ruined. That kind of thing, without Pro, might help you not have to hear that diff again... save your new Warm by snurrfint preset so you can load it again

Cheers all!!

Qexl wrote:

Excellent news! Hope you can kind of un-hear that little diff - and enjoy the D !!

Seems naff - but I like it when a... "you call that a plan??" comes tegothre!

BTW - Great data and discovery Groovy.. after seeing that, I was going to suggest snurrfint tries altering stereo field (dpiano speakers being kind of tuned for the dpiano's sound lib and specifics galore). I'd still try altering stereo field setting, if I were using my old dpiano speakers - could be a good thing for any dpiano speaker user to try out.. they can have a quite different width by default, against a traditional monitor setup - and be more directionally diffuse.

Heya @aWc - nobody should be embarrassed - you are a true gent imo

Hey btw @snurrfint - firstly, glad to see you use Freeze function.. I was saving up a suggestion to use it, to capture the action related items from the preset you prefer (like maybe Classical Recording) where the action/keys would be more concert/performance ready.. and freeze those things (like hammer hardness etc. - even just that).. and then apply that to for example Warm - Ruined. That kind of thing, without Pro, might help you not have to hear that diff again... save your new Warm by snurrfint preset so you can load it again

Cheers all!!

Thanks, the freeze is a lifesaver for sure.

The diff right now, after the issue disappeared is not noticeable while playing, only when strictly comparing note by note. Im not against different keys having slightly different volumes as it adds character, and Im certain real pianos work the same way. What was annoying was to hear a drastically higher volume for a specific note in the middle of a piano piece.

I was playing Eric Satie's Gnossienne and it was damn near impossible to make it sound natural in the opening where the 5C goes to 4B rapidly.

The solution was also very annoying. Having to flip through all factory presets with no freeze setting, and also deleting custom presets was not a fun experience, and a user should not need to do that between minor updates to make the piano function properly. Its a clear bug in Mordartts software and needs to be adressed before they update the model next time, in my opinion.

With that said. Im still in love with the software and there is really no competition on the iPad at the moment.

I noticed the same thing, and thought I was hearing things. I played Hanon #1 over the entire keyboard, cringed, and did the same on Bechstein Player. My interest is playing composers on the instrument that suits their style, not fiddling with software, but an instrument that no longer performs well with 8.2 for any composer just doesn't get selected any more.

I'm new to Pianoteq, but did you look into the volume editing of singles notes? There are quite large differences set by default, varying by preset, to make it more lifelike, since you have these variances on acoustic instruments all the time. Just lower the volume of the given key.

Casio GP-300

FYI, there was no volume issue, only the fact that snurrfint had by mistake set the Freeze button ON and for some reason the volume of that note had been set higher, see https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php...18#p995018

BTW (for snurrfint and others),  the volume can be adjusted Note by Note in the Standard version too, like in the Pro version.