Topic: Pianoteq 8.2.0 update with muffled sound?

Hello, my noble and dear friends.
As soon as I updated to Pianoteq 8.2.0 I noticed that the sound was more muffled, more closed than the previous version.
Has anyone else noticed this change?

Last edited by Professor Leandro Duarte (16-01-2024 03:07)
Respeito, Esforço e Sabedoria

Re: Pianoteq 8.2.0 update with muffled sound?

After seeing your post, I checked NY Steinway D briefly. I haven't checked the other instruments, so this may be a reflex response, but the changelog for version 8.2.0 indicates that the modern grands have been "revoiced" ( https://www.modartt.com/pianoteq_changes ) and I hear fewer unwanted noises when removing effects from NY SD factory presets and increasing dynamics at 96kHz sample rate. In that way, especially for quickly-modified factory presets, I suspect 8.2.0 is a substantial improvement in the model. Still, it may be a doubled-edged sword for users like myself, and I think I get how this would translate to closed for others. Because my custom presets (shared just a few days ago, deeply edited, per note and often per harmonic) sound radically different in 8.2.0, my sense is that the read-only components of the instrument were changed. 8.2.0 is not 100% backwards compatible with my custom presets made for 8.1.3 as a result of the changes. I've relabeled my 2 recent presets in the FXP corner, and I guess I'm going to try reverting to 8.1.3 and switching back and forth. I'm not sure, but I suppose Modartt does this sort of mid-release overhaul from time to time. While the overhaul is exactly the kind of thing I've wanted since starting on my project in 96kHz, I do feel a bit sad that I may have to choose between my very recent custom presets and working in a newer version of the software.

Last edited by bani223 (16-01-2024 06:10)
Soundblaster ZXR, ASIO4ALL. 96khz, ~2ms buffer. Little to no pop/crackle on Realtime priority.
I have posted several times about tweaking Pianoteq

Professor Leandro Duarte wrote:

Hello, my noble and dear friends.
As soon as I updated to Pianoteq 8.2.0 I noticed that the sound was more muffled, more closed than the previous version.
Has anyone else noticed this change?

Same here, it's obvious with some presets (Steinway D gentle for example).

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

If you have made any tweaks to your presets, some of them may not work so well with the new voicings - as suggested by bani223. I found this to be the case with a previous update. For some of the presets, I just had to go back to the factory defaults and start again.

bani223 wrote:

After seeing your post, I checked NY Steinway D briefly. I haven't checked the other instruments, so this may be a reflex response, but the changelog for version 8.2.0 indicates that the modern grands have been "revoiced" ( https://www.modartt.com/pianoteq_changes ) and I hear fewer unwanted noises when removing effects from NY SD factory presets and increasing dynamics at 96kHz sample rate. In that way, especially for quickly-modified factory presets, I suspect 8.2.0 is a substantial improvement in the model. Still, it may be a doubled-edged sword for users like myself, and I think I get how this would translate to closed for others. Because my custom presets (shared just a few days ago, deeply edited, per note and often per harmonic) sound radically different in 8.2.0, my sense is that the read-only components of the instrument were changed. 8.2.0 is not 100% backwards compatible with my custom presets made for 8.1.3 as a result of the changes. I've relabeled my 2 recent presets in the FXP corner, and I guess I'm going to try reverting to 8.1.3 and switching back and forth. I'm not sure, but I suppose Modartt does this sort of mid-release overhaul from time to time. While the overhaul is exactly the kind of thing I've wanted since starting on my project in 96kHz, I do feel a bit sad that I may have to choose between my very recent custom presets and working in a newer version of the software.

i guess it’s part of the game. In most cases a significant re-voicing with read only engine parameter changes or changes in the core modelling engine are more than likely going to require slight or major adjustments of your personal fxp files . Like you say it is a double edged sword thing , and the reality is that the more changes you made to the default presets the more likely it is going to impact you . Maybe , it would  be useful to mention  in the release note some more details , instrument by instrument about what key parameters in order to facilitate migration of users own fxp . This is opinion more than a ‘nice to have’ but a ‘must have’ requirement given the philosophy and the potential of pianoteq which is to allow end end user to tune their preset with an incredible level of details .

IMHO Modartt should not be making voicing changes in minor updates, except possibly in the case that a piano model has some significant defect due to a development error that makes it truly unpleasant or unusable. If it only happens in major updates, existing DAW files are not affected because they continue to reference the plug-in .DLL from the previous version so you can choose whether to update and/or save a separate version of the project with the updated plug-in, and you can readily A/B the two versions. When it happens in a minor update, you really need to have two machines at your disposal; fortunately, I do, and will only be installing the update on my laptop for the time being.

It would also be helpful if they would describe the changes and the intent - maybe including some demo recordings - so that we would have an idea what to expect and what to listen for. Sometimes changes are easier to accept when the shortcomings of the previous iteration are pointed out and clearly shown to be improved in the new one.

Last edited by brundlefly (16-01-2024 19:34)

brundlefly wrote:

IMHO Modartt should not be making voicing changes in minor updates, except possibly in the case that a piano model has some significant defect due to a development error that makes it truly unpleasant or unusable. If it only happens in major updates, existing DAW files are not affected because they continue to reference the plug-in .DLL from the previous version so you can choose whether to update and/or save a separate version of the project with the updated plug-in, and you can readily A/B the two versions. When it happens in a minor update, you really need to have two machines at your disposal; fortunately, I do, and will only be installing the update on my laptop for the time being.

It would also be helpful if they would describe the changes and the intent - maybe including some demo recordings - so that we would have an idea what to expect and what to listen for. Sometimes changes are easier to accept when the shortcomings of the previous iteration are pointed out and clearly shown to be improved in the new one.

I'm not on Pro so my editing isn't as extensive to be fair.

I've made lots of presets and preset templates in DAW using third party effects for myself. I have had to adjust those to the new sounds as and when they do this.  Generally however I have to say it's always been worth it and doesn't take long. No changes have made a catastrophic difference. They are generally incremental improvements.
From time to time I will load up a project template and it's a head scratcher why did I like this tonal balance at the time? . Almost certainly it comes down to those incremental changes. Rarely do I abandon a template, just readjust for the changes.

I think it would get to be a bit of a dog's dinner if they kept all the A and B and C .. versions for users to choose from.
Maybe they could offer this up in the Pro version under a hidden panel?

Last edited by Key Fumbler (16-01-2024 23:00)

brundlefly wrote:

I like this concept in principle but not for my understanding of what would happen in practice.
What I mean by this is human ear is generally prone to preferring the brighter sound, just as we are prone to prefer the brightest screen. An A/B quick comparison doesn't give you ample opportunity to really appreciate what's happening. Even if a sound is actually more balanced and realistic if it is softer I think our immediate impression will be that it is more dull. I know this from Hi-Fi. If you want to sell more loudspeakers hype the treble for more apparent detail. In the short term this is taken as brilliance, realism, immediacy, detail. Unfortunately this can also be fatigue and an artificial balance designed to impress. In an A/B generally speaking most users are going to gravitate towards the zingy bright sound, even when it's not the most relaxing and realistic.

Hello

I agree with "Professor Leandro Duarte", the pianos are sounding a little less bright.

Yesterday I did several tests, I have two Pianoteq installations, one on my notebook and the other on my Zynthian box. I left the Zynthian Box installation at version 8.1.3, but I updated the notebook to 8.2.0. And so I was able to compare the two versions more closely.
I noticed that all the pianos are sounding more realistic. One thing that Pianoteq has always bothered me since I bought it is the "attack", I always found it very artificial. In this new version it is excellent, to me it sounds much more natural now. However, all the piano sounds I tested sounded muffled.
The most glaring example for me was the first "Steinway D HB" preset, it always had a bright sound to me, and now it sounds more muffled.

However, for me this more muffled sound is not a problem. I'm really liking the results of the revoicing, for me all the sounds are sounding like "a step further" than they were in the last version.

Maybe it's just my ears today (it varies with fatigue and health) I think that the fine hint of a harsh metallic zing I occasionally heard (a quality which makes the sound artificially forward/exciting having lots of "air")  has gone or been dampened significantly across the board.
As discussed before the immediate perception could be that they now sound slightly dull or muffled and a period of mental readjustment should be made before drawing conclusions.

First impressions I think this update reduces or masks the engine's own subtle synthetic contribution, that "Pianoteq sound"

Darker is better for me here so far.

What about make a test? A MP3 comparison.

Take the Steinway-D you like the most in 8.1, copy the fxp and transplant to the Steinway-D from 8.2 version.

Last edited by Beto-Music (16-01-2024 22:35)

Beto-Music wrote:

Take the Steinway-D you like the most in 8.1, copy the fxp and transplant to the Steinway-D from 8.2 version.

Sure. Get used to the balance of the new version for a week two then A/B with the older version.

Last edited by Key Fumbler (16-01-2024 22:57)

Key Fumbler wrote:

An A/B quick comparison doesn't give you ample opportunity to really appreciate what's happening. Even if a sound is actually more balanced and realistic if it is softer I think our immediate impression will be that it is more dull.

That's precisely why I suggested Modartt should supply demo files and tell us what to listen for and what to appreciate about the new voicing.

I didn't have a chance to listen until just a bit ago and I don't have a lot of projects with rendered recordings on my laptop to compare, but my first impression was that the change is really quite radical and sounds like more than "voicing". The live audio from 8.2 is significantly louder (like 3dB) with a strong low-midrange boost and greater "presence" like what you would get from compression. If I didn't know better, I would think the mic positions had been changed or that some of my preset modifications (like disabling limiting, reverb and delay, increasing dynamic range, etc.) hadn't been respected, but a quick review shows that's not the case.

I'll have to do some more renders from my un-updated desktop machine to get a better understanding of what I'm hearing and confirm it's only due to the "voicing" change.

It sounds "good", in general, but it's hard to tell how much that is just that it's louder.

brundlefly wrote:

It sounds "good", in general, but it's hard to tell how much that is just that it's louder.

Well spotted.
I haven't looked that closely yet. Yes of course this can make a substantial difference to our perception of tone.

As per:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

Very interesting update. I've only spent a few minutes with it so far, using the "NY Steinway D Studio Recording" preset (my default piano). The re-voicing is VERY dramatic, much darker overall. It's not so much a concerto piano anymore, but I do see it as a good step up in realism. The taming of the (at times harsh) HF is appreciated and very natural here.

My one criticism is around the 5th octave, peaking around F or F# 5 (scientific pitch notation). The notes in this range have kind of a plastic attack that sounds a bit like an electric piano. It's a nice sound actually, but it doesn't sound completely piano-like. When the soft pedal is depressed this quality is amplified significantly. In fact the soft pedal has an extremely dramatic effect, far more than on any real piano...a tiny bit like a piano with practice felt, but less extreme and with more dynamic range. The soft pedal's effect on real pianos is typically very subtle (especially on a piano in very good shape), and I've secretly wished the effect was more pronounced! And of course this can be adjusted in Pianoteq, so just pointing it out for the sake of realism.

I did get a little sense of something like compression, like what brundlefly pointed out, but I'll have to play more to get a better feel for it.

brundlefly wrote:

IMHO Modartt should not be making voicing changes in minor updates ...

you can choose when to update, and you can freeze tracks in your daw before doing so if you're concerned*

i appreciate the issue (i have many current tracks with pianoteq in them waiting to go), but i would rather modartt keep the improvements coming for free than having to wait for a new version / pay cycle to get improvements - this is one of the reasons i like modartt and pianoteq personally

(* i won't be updating until my current project is finished)

dazric wrote:

If you have made any tweaks to your presets, some of them may not work so well with the new voicings - as suggested by bani223. I found this to be the case with a previous update. For some of the presets, I just had to go back to the factory defaults and start again.

I was talking about the default preset. It's a bid sad. Some presets are better.  But I'm disappointed with this one (Steinway D Gentle). The guitar buzz is very nice addition.

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

brundlefly wrote:

Knowing how important it is, we take a great care of keeping the same volume when revoicing a piano. If ever there is preset that by accident is louder than previously, please do not hesitate pointing it and we will fix it.

Beto-Music wrote:

That may not work very well, particularly for the NY Steinway D because of the changes in the soundboard parameters. To get an idea of what sort of changes in settings are induced by this modification in the soundboard, you can compare side by side the NY Steinway D presets from 8.1 with 8.2. The most visible changes may be the Note per Note Spectrum Profile. On a similar vein, changing microphones positions usually also requires some revoicing via the Spectrum Profile.

Borealis wrote:
dazric wrote:

I was talking about the default preset. It's a bid sad. Some presets are better.  But I'm disappointed with this one (Steinway D Gentle). The guitar buzz is very nice addition.

Yes, I know what you mean - there are winners and losers. But overall I'm very happy with this update.

Since I'm in the middle of a solo-piano project, it wasn't difficult to create a couple short excerpts where you can hear some differences between version 8.1 and 8.2 when opening a file in 8.2 that was created in 8.1 The differences are not "show stoppers" so to speak; but some tweaks will be necessary (at least, for my work) when opening pre-version 8.2 projects using the latest update. These use a modified NY Steinway D. The excerpts are here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfqgxf1HOLI

Any chance of adding an option to select which minor version's soundboard parameters are used? I don't know how feasible that would be, but I would love to have that flexibility!

I love the revoicings in Pianoteq 8.2 so far. Agree that some personal custom presets don't sound the same, but the standard factory presets sound very nice and improved, in my opinion. Thank you, Modartt team.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (17-01-2024 20:16)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Agree that some personal custom presets don't sound the same, but the standard factory presets sound very nice and improved, in my opinion. Thank you, Modartt team.

Since version 7, I just don't change anything to the presets, except a minor adjustement to the dynamics, velcity curve and pedal noise.
So, no problem for me with these revoicings.

For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying 8.2.  Some of what sounded like harshness in the treble (using the Steinways) seems to have softened, which I like.  I wonder if others might be hearing the same thing as 'muffled'.  Words aren't great for describing sound!

Thanks to the PT team for continuing to invest and improve all the time.  I really appreciate it.

M

MartzPT wrote:

For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying 8.2.  Some of what sounded like harshness in the treble (using the Steinways) seems to have softened, which I like.  I wonder if others might be hearing the same thing as 'muffled'.  Words aren't great for describing sound!

Thanks to the PT team for continuing to invest and improve all the time.  I really appreciate it.

M

I call the old behavior a "metallic accumulation" to the sound with some models, the NY D being one of them.

I think it sounds better now.

Hi all,

I am a very happy customer for many years with multiple upgrades--always appreciating continuous improvements.

Now, 6.2 has arrived and ...

... I had to revert back to 6.1.3 almost immediately! Specifically, I use a response-customised NY Steinway D Prelude and it sounds beautiful with 6.1.3 on MacBook Pro M1Max on my Roland LX-17 with Local Control Off. In 6.2, I could not even recognise notes from each other, the chords sounded _really_ wrong, it was absolutely awful.

I did not try anything else as this is my go-to preset and I wouldn't want to spend any more time on trying out 6.2 unless you guys have any idea what might be an issue I experienced.

Many thanks!

Last edited by Torero (18-01-2024 17:36)

Torero wrote:

Hi all,

I am a very happy customer for many years with multiple upgrades--always appreciating continuous improvements.

... I had to revert back to 6.1.3 almost immediately! Specifically, I use a response-customised NY Steinway D Prelude and it sounds beautiful with 6.1.3 on MacBook Pro M1Max on my Roland LX-17 with Local Control Off. In 6.2, I could not even recognise notes from each other, the chords sounded _really_ wrong, it was absolutely awful.

I did not try anything else as this is my go-to preset and I wouldn't want to spend any more time on trying out 6.2 unless you guys have any idea what might be an issue I experienced.

Many thanks!

Why not show modartt support what your settings were?

Torero wrote:

... I had to revert back to 6.1.3 almost immediately! Specifically, I use a response-customised NY Steinway D Prelude ...

It might have helped for troubleshooting purposes if you had tried other presets, both custom and stock Modartt-provided presets, or the non-customized NY Steinway D Prelude preset, to see if the issue you mention occurs in them as well, to narrow the possible problem areas.

Anyway, good luck--

--

Many users might have modified their presents to counter the subtile high pitch metallic sound that the D model previously had in upper register by lowering brightness and by lowering hammer hardness etc. Since this sound is now pretty much gone by default, the D sounds more warm and woody out of the box, making these old custom presets feel dull in comparison. That would be my guess.

brundlefly wrote:

The live audio from 8.2 is significantly louder (like 3dB) with a strong low-midrange boost and greater "presence" like what you would get from compression.

Quoting myself above, I did some more testing and have concluded I was mistaken about the cause of the level difference. The comparison on which the above statement was based was using the NY Steinway D Jazz Recording preset with reverb, delay and limiting disabled to get a dry output to which I could apply my own FX in Cakewalk by Bandlab. Using the Youlean Loudness plugin, I measured the LUFS of the DAW-processed 8.2 output at 2.4dB higher than the previously rendered 8.1.3 track with the same FX, a slightly smaller difference than I originally estimated but still significant.

But then I made another comparison using the factory Jazz Recording preset with all the DAW FX removed, and found a much smaller difference of less then 0.5dB. It seems the bigger difference in my original comparison is due to the DAW FX reinforcing the same frequencies that have been boosted in the revoicing of 8.2, making it louder than 8.1 with the same FX applied.

All that said, in the course of my listening, I can't really say that I've warmed up to the new sound. I still prefer the lighter/brighter tone and seemingly wider stereo image of 8.1 with this particular preset. In some ways, I find 8.2 more "electronic" sounding than 8.1. I would characterize it similarly to what another poster described as having the more bell-like tone of an electric piano - pleasant in some respects, but not necessarily more realistic.

My personal experience of version 8.2 is that it has made the feel of playing my controller (Casio PX-S5000) much more haptic. It seems I am able to play more smoothly and accurately. So for me, 8.2 is a hit.

Thank you Modartt team / Beta team and all involved.

Warmest regards,

Chris

After the revoicing I can now use the entire MIDI velocity range.

I've noticed consistently across the standard presets that I can now set the velocity curve as a simple linear 0-127 and the pianos sound natural and convincing in every area of the full velocity range. Previously I had to reduce or restrict (map) the velocity range from 127 to a maximum of 112-117 for the pianos to sound natural to my ears. Any velocity higher than that sounded unnaturally tinny, too bright, too much like a sustained, ringing metallic vibrato.

It's such a pleasure for the pianos, with their revoicing, to sound so natural throughout the entire velocity range.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (20-01-2024 02:57)
--

In the last days I tried to follow people's reactions to the 8.2 update on web.

I noticed that this upgraded was, in general, quite well received, and with less trolls or haters on discusdions than past upgrades. More people that for any reason couldn't handle pianoteq's sound before, now with 8.2 decided to buy after test the demo.
In this evolutionary line of pianoteq life, the more closer it get to the real thing, the less drastic the software's changes become, but these tiny changes acquire properties to make huge differences.

Pianoteq years ago had the middle range as the most target of critics. Now, after many welcome upgrades some people say the bass must be the focus of new refinements. But bass took more computation power, requering the algorithms to resume the piano physis equations quite a lot.

So, what about a Turbo Bass feature, to turn On-Off, able to increase the bass realism, for advanced computers?
So, people with hi-end machines would turn On this feature and get a richer realism for bass.

This would demand to adjust the core algorithms to take more details to compute for the bass range. But I bet many people would be convinced to get pianoteq.

I'm not saying anyway the actuall bass range is bad. But some people are very perfectionist for basic tone. This feature would target these consumers.

Last edited by Beto-Music (20-01-2024 17:54)

after downloading version 8.2 I did indeed, at first glance find the sound a little less brilliant but ultimately after having reset the settings "my" Steingraeberg is much more pleasant to play without having to touch anything
thank you Modartt

dazric wrote:

Just updated to v8.2.0 today. Not tested anything so far, just used the preset where I left my last session.
Maybe it is an example what happens to a preset after an update:

A-preset: C. Bechstein DG Prelude (The factory default of some version 8.1.x with my own velocity curves ).
B-preset: C. Bechstein DG Prelude (The factory default of the new v8.2.0).

The list of differences (right-click on A or B symbol) is shown in my screenshot.

https://i.postimg.cc/tCkHG59s/Diff-Bechstein-DG-Prelude-some-81x-vs-820.png

Of course my velocity settings were found ...

Note-on velocity
Note-off velocity
Sustain pedal response

... but these settings were changed just by updating:

Spectrum profile
Hammer noise
Auto glissando
Main volume
Metadata (preset comment etc)

My usual workflow in the past after an update has been to load the new factory preset of Modartt and then to restore just my velocity curves. If a new preset ist not to my liking after this procedure, then I modify the Note-on velocity curve, because it has a strong impact indirectly on impressions like muddiness and so on.

When I'm still not satisfied afterwards, I switch to another Pianoteq grand piano and start again until I find a favorite.

Last edited by groovy (21-01-2024 19:10)

dikrek wrote:
Torero wrote:

Hi all,

Many thanks!

Hi, I have never copied my settings anywhere, however, as I said in my post, I only change the response/velocity curve ever so slightly--bending a bit upwards from the straight line. Does this constitute changing the 'settings'? I suspect it does not.

Also, to someone indirectly mentioning 'trolling' about the new version, I really do hope it was not me you were referring to. I do not think I deserve to be called a troll if I did not like the sound at all? is that a crime not to like a sound? Maybe my specific use case of going back to the 6-speaker piano from MacBook resulted in this effect, I don't know but it is the very first version--for me--after 6-7 years of use that went backwards big time.

I will reinstall it and try other presets, but again, I was hit very hard by how dull the new version sounded--for me!

Last edited by Torero (22-01-2024 11:24)

Torero wrote:
dikrek wrote:
Torero wrote:

Hi all,

Many thanks!

Hi, I have never copied my settings anywhere, however, as I said in my post, I only change the response/velocity curve ever so slightly--bending a bit upwards from the straight line. Does this constitute changing the 'settings'? I suspect it does not.

Also, to someone indirectly mentioning 'trolling' about the new version, I really do hope it was not me you were referring to. I do not think I deserve to be called a troll if I did not like the sound at all? is that a crime not to like a sound? Maybe my specific use case of going back to the 6-speaker piano from MacBook resulted in this effect, I don't know but it is the very first version--for me--after 6-7 years of use that went backwards big time.

I will reinstall it and try other presets, but again, I was hit very hard by how dull the new version sounded--for me!

Hi Torero,

Have you made any headway with solving the issues you have experienced with the 8.2 update?

Warmest regards,

Chris

Little by little, my ear has become accustomed to the new tonal characteristics of version 8.2.0.

I committed myself to trying new presets and understanding them a little more. Interestingly, the first preset of each instrument list has really pleased me:

NY Steinway Classic;
HB Steinway Classic;
K2 Warm.

These are versatile presets with a very balanced sound. Perhaps, for this reason, they are the first on the lists as a subject of Modartt itself.

sigasa wrote:
Torero wrote:
dikrek wrote:

Hi Torero,

Have you made any headway with solving the issues you have experienced with the 8.2 update?

Warmest regards,

Chris

Hii Chris,

Doing this now: re-installed 8.2.0 Pro and trying out various presets and simple settings like Stereophonic instead of Microphone. So far, they are all very dull. My Roland LX-17 piano is refusing to excite me at all.

My initial thinking is that IF the signal is fed back to the Piano via the reverse channel (forgot what's the official name for this), the sound is pretty awful, something has been lost or removed, not sure what, but it is exceptionally electronic, muffled, and dull for the lack of a better word.

I'll update you later further.

UPDATE: I've given up for tonight. I've gone over about a dozen presets, changing the velocity curve, varying the Microphone vs Stereophonic selection. I also just changed volume, going higher and lower. And now, just tired of it, going back once again to 8.1.3 my trusty NY Steinway D Prelude with a moderatly slow keyboard and all is good again: beautiful singing sound and I'm happy again.

It's just really weird, that revoicing does not allow me to play anymore because it sounds so off, I have double-check all the time, what am I playing, I have no idea, cannot play anything really--this bad.

I WILL persevere and return back to trying this version but it has been hard going for me.

Last edited by Torero (23-01-2024 22:45)

I just upgraded to Pianoteq Standard. I believe that with more adjustment options I can find the sound I want without depending too much on the internal adjustments made by Modartt.

MapleGuitar wrote:

Since I'm in the middle of a solo-piano project, it wasn't difficult to create a couple short excerpts where you can hear some differences between version 8.1 and 8.2 when opening a file in 8.2 that was created in 8.1 The differences are not "show stoppers" so to speak; but some tweaks will be necessary (at least, for my work) when opening pre-version 8.2 projects using the latest update. These use a modified NY Steinway D. The excerpts are here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfqgxf1HOLI

That was helpful--thank you--and generally agrees with my observations I have been posting. Listened to this with pretty good Bang & Olufsen headphones and I'm left strongly preferring the sound of 8.1 in all ranges but especially the bass and mids. Just my impression. In my case, Roland LX-17 has 8 speakers that exercise quite a lot of resonances in the piano body. What happens, to my ears, is that they all collide producing some strange incoherent whole. Having said that, the listen of the above did reveal similar issues to me.

Last edited by Torero (24-01-2024 08:35)

This is a sort of PSA.

On updating Pianoteq STAGE to 8.2.0 (from 8.1.3), the voicing and regulation of my custom presents was terrible (my custom presents are very simple modifications of the factory ones, mostly velocity and pedal curves. All are based on the NY Steinway D and saved as a "Full Preset").

Certain notes across the keyboard stuck out like sore thumbs, as if being played with a strong accent. Trying to play with even tone was impossible.

So, I deleted my custom presets and recreated them from the factory ones. This completely fixed my issue. Voicing and regulation is now excellent.

I have no idea why presets saved under 8.1.3 would be problematic after upgrading to 8.2.0. What kind of data gets stored in presets? Anyway, if anyone else finds that their old presets don't work well, it might be worth trying to create new ones from the factory ones.

Last edited by mcihelka88 (21-02-2024 03:59)

mcihelka88 wrote:

On updating Pianoteq STAGE to 8.2.0 (from 8.1.3), the voicing and regulation of my custom presents was terrible (my custom presents are very simple modifications of the factory ones, mostly velocity and pedal curves. All are based on the NY Steinway D and saved as a "Full Preset").

If true custom presets of yours mostly are velocity and pedal curve customizations, you may discover clear advantages of others enabling global velocity curves right now.  (Which might become beneficial again of course right upon the next anticipated update, or, any that will appear an equally overwhelming or substantial one.)

Certain notes across the keyboard stuck out like sore thumbs, as if being played with a strong accent. Trying to play with even tone was impossible.

By the looks of things I'm concluding; Philippe Guillaume likely had anticipated some of your assertions:

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

To get an idea of what sort of changes in settings are induced by this modification in the soundboard, you can compare side by side the NY Steinway D presets from 8.1 with 8.2. The most visible changes may be the Note per Note Spectrum Profile. On a similar vein, changing microphones positions usually also requires some revoicing via the Spectrum Profile.

However, the above necessarily might mean that your own copy of PIANOTEQ Stage has become inadequate at this stage!

mcihelka88 wrote:

What kind of data gets stored in presets?

To have opened to view a fully updated and completely visible comparison or inspection of all preset changes made by the latest transition from 8.1.3 to 8.2 and to respond to your question, directly, I suggest indeed an upgrade path from PIANOTEQ Stage to PIANOTEQ PRO is not only the most economical but also the best route you can take at this time:

Most significantly any kind of data which include just about every possible parameter adjustment available to professionals has already been made readily observable to the naked eye by the introduction of PIANOTEQ PRO, and, especially if just for yourself you personally need to check over the differing presets on a specific note per note basis.

Man, really an awful lot you can open and explore once you've gotten a current licensed copy of PIANOTEQ PRO just right at your finger tips!

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (21-02-2024 23:14)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Encountered this too, unfortunately. I almost exclusively use a Steinway D Player with slightly modified dynamics and volume. Upon updating it the "muffledness" was instantly apparent, underwater/closed lid sort of effect. Tried both reinstalling Pianoteq and making the preset from scratch, no luck.
Going to try using the iOS version to see if there's any difference.

Update:
Done some testing on iOS, and at this point I'm almost convinced this is not a 8.2 specific issue, but some sort of a lower level issue with Pianoteq desktop (Mac in my case).
I've compared few presets both on iPhone and Mac, same settings, same volume, same headphone setup (same DAC), and Steinway D is clearly muffled on Mac.
However there's a twist to this, after downgrading back to 8.1.3 the issue remained on the Mac, which is the reason I came to the conclusion above.
I almost started doubting my own ears, but after several back and forths between the laptop and the phone, I'm 100% sure at this point that the phone sounds perfectly crisp and normal, while the Mac version doesn't.

If Modartt staff happens to be reading this and is interested, I'm happy to try and provide reproduction details, or a playback recording from both devices.

Last edited by tigran (28-02-2024 17:45)

tigran wrote:

If Modartt staff happens to be reading this and is interested, I'm happy to try and provide reproduction details, or a playback recording from both devices.

Hi Tigran,

I would suggest first that you export a wav file from Pianoteq using the same MIDI file and exact same unmodified preset (and same settings in options / perf) , on both your iPhone and your Mac. And then listen to the two wav files on you mac. If there is a noticeable difference , please get in touch with Modartt support by using the "Feedback and bug reports" link at the bottom of the options / about panel of Pianoteq.

I love the update to 8.2. All the models sound more realistic with less sharp treble. For me it's an improvement.

tigran wrote:

Encountered this too, unfortunately. I almost exclusively use a Steinway D Player with slightly modified dynamics and volume. Upon updating it the "muffledness" was instantly apparent, underwater/closed lid sort of effect. Tried both reinstalling Pianoteq and making the preset from scratch, no luck.
Going to try using the iOS version to see if there's any difference.

Update:
Done some testing on iOS, and at this point I'm almost convinced this is not a 8.2 specific issue, but some sort of a lower level issue with Pianoteq desktop (Mac in my case).
I've compared few presets both on iPhone and Mac, same settings, same volume, same headphone setup (same DAC), and Steinway D is clearly muffled on Mac.
However there's a twist to this, after downgrading back to 8.1.3 the issue remained on the Mac, which is the reason I came to the conclusion above.
I almost started doubting my own ears, but after several back and forths between the laptop and the phone, I'm 100% sure at this point that the phone sounds perfectly crisp and normal, while the Mac version doesn't.

Did you get this resolved? I have similar findings.

I've been using Pianoteq since v.3. I'm glad I was not on my own thinking that the sound had become a little more "muffled." This is no joke, but I was worrying that the top end of my hearing had gone; then, I thought maybe my monitors and audio interface may have had some issues. After checking lots of reference material it showed that both were ok. Then, checking the forum was pleased to see others had noted the missing treble.

Like others have noted, the realism around the attack has certainly improved. I'm using Pianoteq much more these days as my standalone go-to piano. However, I've always struggled getting Pianoteq in the mix whereby I want it to cut through with the treble, yet not be harsh or synthetic. It is interesting to listen to recordings of piano in rock and pop genres and to often here how very bright the piano will sound. I reference with good quality recordings of bands like Steely Dan where there is a consensus around the quality of the recordings / mixes. Usually, the mix engineers will boost the treble and this really allows the piano to cut through in the mix. For my own music, I'm always looking for the piano to work well in the mix and not be masked and I will nearly always use another EQ when using Pianoteq. I'd really like the higher frequencies to be further improved. I nearly always turn up the hammer hardness, yet, there becomes the risk of it sounding too synthetic. Same with the Equalizer (not the FX one).

I find that Pianoteq works brilliantly as a standalone instrument  - there is something about the mics and the acoustic space which brings the piano "into" the room via the speakers. Nevertheless, for multitrack recordings, I often find that Pianoteq sounds way too big and expansive in the soundfield, and I'll ofen experiment with narrowing the width, using the "stereo" output rather than mics etc. etc.. All work in progress

Does anyone else who uses Pianoteq in multitrack mixes find issues with getting the higher frequencies to cut through nicely, without sacrificing realism?

fulvia wrote:

I've been using Pianoteq since v.3. I'm glad I was not on my own thinking that the sound had become a little more "muffled." This is no joke, but I was worrying that the top end of my hearing had gone; then, I thought maybe my monitors and audio interface may have had some issues. After checking lots of reference material it showed that both were ok. Then, checking the forum was pleased to see others had noted the missing treble.

Like others have noted, the realism around the attack has certainly improved. I'm using Pianoteq much more these days as my standalone go-to piano. However, I've always struggled getting Pianoteq in the mix whereby I want it to cut through with the treble, yet not be harsh or synthetic. It is interesting to listen to recordings of piano in rock and pop genres and to often here how very bright the piano will sound. I reference with good quality recordings of bands like Steely Dan where there is a consensus around the quality of the recordings / mixes. Usually, the mix engineers will boost the treble and this really allows the piano to cut through in the mix. For my own music, I'm always looking for the piano to work well in the mix and not be masked and I will nearly always use another EQ when using Pianoteq. I'd really like the higher frequencies to be further improved. I nearly always turn up the hammer hardness, yet, there becomes the risk of it sounding too synthetic. Same with the Equalizer (not the FX one).

I find that Pianoteq works brilliantly as a standalone instrument  - there is something about the mics and the acoustic space which brings the piano "into" the room via the speakers. Nevertheless, for multitrack recordings, I often find that Pianoteq sounds way too big and expansive in the soundfield, and I'll ofen experiment with narrowing the width, using the "stereo" output rather than mics etc. etc.. All work in progress

Does anyone else who uses Pianoteq in multitrack mixes find issues with getting the higher frequencies to cut through nicely, without sacrificing realism?

I find that bright piano sound in a lot of rock and pop to be something of a fiction.
It gets even worse in dance genres, that horrendous house piano…

Coincidentally, the first time I listened to Steely Dan albums on studio monitors I was surprised (a little horrified) at the extreme carving away of frequencies, so much body taken out of instruments and vocals.

In modern recordings, we have a lot more body in the lows and low mids but that bright piano sound perseveres, along with, similarly, jangly acoustic guitars.

If you want to retain a natural piano sound I think you have to compose very thoughtfully.
Play up top as much as you can during busier parts and look for space to insert the notes further down the keyboard.

I found the Ant Petrof and Bluthner to have the brightness to be heard amongst a full arrangement. Just carve out what you absolutely have to.