Re: Great Pianoteq 7.5 update available

I remamber Philippe once commented about they cogitated 127 be set as the velocity where the virtual  strings would broke or almost broke, as this velocity would be like simulating the limit of impact a string could hold.

A tip I found long ago that can help, it's to set your digital piano/controller to the heaviest adjustment of playing, as this way your controller would require fast/strong playing to reach the midi velocity 127. You start with that and use pianoteq velocity graphic to set the velocity response to your taste. This way you can keep high dynamic of playing, even if you set pianoteq velocity graphic to a lighter response, since your controller will only send velocity midi number 127 when you play hard. This demand a more specific velocity curve shape on graphic, to keep the very high velocities always as the more difficult to reach. The very high velocities would be like a tail near vertical position, on graphic, while the others would look more smooth .
Even so, despite of this tip, many controllers would still need at least some of the approach of this velocity curves drawing you did:

https://imgur.com/Hdxe4vo.png

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

However, when listening to and graphically observing many of the MIDI files produced by participants in the epiano competition, who often use acoustic grand pianos fitted with MIDI sensors, even when the pianist is playing with great finger force and very loudly, at fortississimo or louder, the MIDI velocity values rarely exceed 110 (of a 0-127 fill range). That's why it can be helpful to use a velocity curve (or line) in Pianoteq that does not include the highest range of MIDI velocity values, as one possible means of compensating for the great variety of MIDI keyboards and their velocity response.

Last edited by Beto-Music (19-12-2021 19:15)

Could you please put 7.4.2 in our accounts? I only see 7.0.5 as the last v7.

Just in case.

Edit: thanks!

Last edited by moshuajusic (20-12-2021 21:05)

Reaction at Pianoworld :

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads....ost3178001

Quite possite.

Last edited by Beto-Music (20-12-2021 19:19)

Admittedly, when i first played pianoteq version 5.4.x or so, there were defeciences in many places..After6years, weare presented with a truly PLAYABLE pianoprogram in many aspects(that many times canbeconfused withthe real thing!)
Many educated-'sofisticated'-deadon opinions&ideas in the forums..thankseverybody, asaresult to the passion for (serious)pianoplaying
Maybe, ithasbeenposted already, but apart fromabrandnew concert grand(!), i expecttosee some 'improvements' in the microphones panel,
either the GUI or the microphones(orboth)
Also, the reallygood Ruckers harpsichord(Giusti and the others) need similar refinement-i thinkthere is room form improvement, there.
for example,release samplesnot too convincing..
(Notentirelysatisfied with hpsi, myhumbleopinion)
As a final remark, pianoteq really shines through careful adjustment of parameters(in PRO version)and..
a really good(expensive!) surround(or pseudosurround) audiosystem!
Onceagain, verygrateful to u modartt, for your pioneering project..

I was waiting for the initial bugs to be ironed out before upgrading to 7.5
Did it, and boy it doesn't disappoint! Great improvement in velocity response across all models: the gradation between ppp and fff is much better. As others have noted, decays on higher notes seem shorter at low velocities (as it should be).
The most improved sounds, IMHO, are the Steinways. The NY D is much, much improved. It is plain to hear on basic presets such as Prelude. The B is better than ever. Love that Improv preset! The Petrov Mistral, which was already fantastic, has lost that exaggerated bass boominess it had before. Possibly the most realistic virtual piano sound I have ever heard!

My main custom presets (Steingraeber and Steingraeber morphs with Steinway B and Bechstein) mostly transpose well to the new version. Only minor tweaks could be required. Bravo!

PT 7.3 with Steinway B and D, U4 upright, YC5, Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Ant. Petrov, Kremsegg Collection #2, Electric Pianos and Hohner Collection. http://antoinewcaron.com

Tried out the new update now, and boy the Steingraeber and Blüthner pianos sound even better now. And the Ant. Petrof piano has the most improvement ever.

Even better, the C. Bechstein 1889 piano sounds more mature now, with wooden warmth and that old-string sound that a 100+ year old piano can give.

Maybe such refinements, which pleased so many, should be presented in the pianoteq website's NEWS, as at the moment the page keeps the felt piano feature as the lastest News, except for the Christmas Gift Card.

The vintage 1889 C. Bechstein wasn't mentioned to had got revoicing, but just the modern C. Bechstein DG. I wonder if you exchanged one for another.

studiosnch wrote:

Tried out the new update now, and boy the Steingraeber and Blüthner pianos sound even better now. And the Ant. Petrof piano has the most improvement ever.

Even better, the C. Bechstein 1889 piano sounds more mature now, with wooden warmth and that old-string sound that a 100+ year old piano can give.

Last edited by Beto-Music (22-12-2021 12:45)

Improvements on the Blüthner and Bechstein grands.
They are both more playable with balanced dynamics across the registers.
The main piano I am using is the Bechstein and I was having trouble with balancing the right and left hands. The dynamic difference with the melodic range around Eb3-Eb5 being piercing was difficult to compensate for. This has been solved. Great!! That's a big help.

Is the Steingräber better??
The Steingräber grand has changed. The Steingräber had a better dynamic balance across the registers before the update, and that hasn't changed. But it's like the tone is half better and half worse.
It has lost sustain below mf.
It sounds like the first part of the attack is muffled in mp and more so in p & pp. This is strange to the ears as it gets more muffled rather than softer. It might be an acquired taste. On the other hand if you push it a little it starts to sing out and is very nice.

Last edited by Declanomad (23-12-2021 04:14)

Declanomad wrote:

The main piano I am using is the Bechstein and I was having trouble with balancing the right and left hands. The dynamic difference with the melodic range around Eb3-Eb5 being piercing was difficult to compensate for. This has been solved. Great!! That's a big help.

The Steingräber grand has changed. The Steingräber had a better dynamic balance across the registers before the update, and that hasn't changed. But it's like the tone is half better and half worse.
It sounds like the first part of the attack is muffled in mp and more so in p & pp. This is strange to the ears as it gets more muffled rather than softer. It might be an acquired taste. On the other hand if you push it a little it starts to sing out and is very nice.

One shouldn't be needing to acquire taste when it comes to emulating a high end piano.

N.B. The notes being significantly louder in a range of the keyboard is not necessarily anything to do with Pianoteq. Presumably the Yamaha DGX-640 reads higher midi velocities for those keys - to be investigated.

Declanomad wrote:

I remamber there was a forum member who asked for an option to adjust key felocity response but key by key, in note edition. He probably hand a issue like that and wanted to be able to fix (compensate).

Declanomad wrote:

N.B. The notes being significantly louder in a range of the keyboard is not necessarily anything to do with Pianoteq. Presumably the Yamaha DGX-640 reads higher midi velocities for those keys - to be investigated.

Ya, this is a nice update. Going from v6 to v7, I had to tweak some of the MIDI to get the same response/performance. From 7.4 to 7.5, just some eq. Worth the time.

Last edited by moshuajusic (27-12-2021 04:54)

Hi,

I love the 7.5 Steinway B  :

https://youtu.be/yCu2P6zx7nY

fxp here :

https://forum.modartt.com/file/67pmk22b

Regards,

Olivier F.

Very pleasent vídeo, thanks Olivier.

I was wondering why Grotrian wasn't revoiced. It's the only pianotwq model, among the models introduced from Bluthner to beyond, that wasn't revoiced for 7.5 release.

Last edited by Beto-Music (28-12-2021 18:00)

Beto-Music wrote:

Maybe such refinements, which pleased so many, should be presented in the pianoteq website's NEWS, as at the moment the page keeps the felt piano feature as the lastest News, except for the Christmas Gift Card.

The vintage 1889 C. Bechstein wasn't mentioned to had got revoicing, but just the modern C. Bechstein DG. I wonder if you exchanged one for another.

Maybe I had the placebo effect when I talked about the older Bechstein, but both Bechstein pianos sound better in the 7.5 update to me.

Beto-Music wrote:

Very pleasent vídeo, thanks Olivier.

I was wondering why Grotrian wasn't revoiced. It's the only pianotwq model, among the models introduced from Bluthner to beyond, that wasn't revoiced for 7.5 release.

It will be revoiced too. It is a continuous process, and we wanted to deliver those which were ready.

Beto-Music wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion Beto-Music.

That's one more good news to close 2021.
  Perfectionism rules.

:-)

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

It will be revoiced too. It is a continuous process, and we wanted to deliver those which were ready.

Despite being a minor problem, the same result is found here in Debian 11.

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
Professor Leandro Duarte wrote:

Also note that when the interface is in fullscreen mode, the top of the menus is cut off, as if they didn't fit on the screen.
NOTE: I use Ubuntu Studio (Linux).

Confirmed: this is a screenshot of my 2560x1440-pixel monitor with Pianoteq in full-screen mode, using Linux Mint XFCE desktop.

https://imgur.com/5HLGaPw.png

Congratulations to the pianoteq team, always improving this great software. Thank you very much for your efforts to improve more and more the pianos in the updates.

:-)

Last edited by Beco (03-01-2022 04:53)

Beto-Music wrote:

... even when the pianist is playing with the greatest finger force and very loudly, at fortississimo or louder, the MIDI velocity values rarely exceed 110 (of a 0-127 full range). That's why it can be helpful to use a velocity curve (or line) in Pianoteq that does not include the highest range of MIDI velocity values.

StephenDoonan vel curve:

Is this velocity curve well mapped? If the controller does not easily reach 127 (as it should not) then 110 is output as mf or f, and ff is never reached... This reduces significantly the dynamic range.

Instead of plotting a "blind" curve, it is important to check what is the normal midi range of our playing in our keyboard, and then spread that normal range (plus a buffer...) into the ppp through ff (or fff) mapping.

Last edited by Vagporto (03-01-2022 13:00)

Vagporto wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

... even when the pianist is playing with the greatest finger force and very loudly, at fortississimo or louder, the MIDI velocity values rarely exceed 110 (of a 0-127 full range). That's why it can be helpful to use a velocity curve (or line) in Pianoteq that does not include the highest range of MIDI velocity values.

StephenDoonan vel curve:

Is this velocity curve well mapped? If the controller does not easily reach 127 (as it should not) then 110 is output as mf or f, and ff is never reached... This reduces significantly the dynamic range.

Instead of plotting a "blind" curve, it is important to check what is the normal midi range of our playing in our keyboard, and then spread that normal range (plus a buffer...) into the ppp through ff (or fff) mapping.

Indeed this curve only accentuates the problem of a keyboard reaching 110 maximum. The extreme point should be 110-127 (not 127-110) to use the full dynamic range of pianoteq.

The keyboards I know reach the Velocity 127 too easily. Therefore the curve 127 = 110 is not bad.

Pianoteq 7 Pro with all pianos

YvesTh wrote:

Indeed this curve only accentuates the problem of a keyboard reaching 110 maximum.

To clarify, the problem of some MIDI keyboards is not that the sensors reach a maximum of about 110-to-115 velocity-value, but rather that the range of velocities registered and reported by the keyboard's velocity sensors is shifted (or biased) toward higher velocities while neglecting the lower range of velocities, such that pianissimo may start at a velocity value of 30 or 35 instead of , for example, 5-15. So the problem or issue pertains to the particular range of velocities registered and transmitted by the keyboard. In that case, changing Pianoteq's velocity curve so that 127=110 (or 115 or 117) helps to map the velocities reported by the MIDI keyboard to produce a range of sounds more appropriate for pianissimo to fortississimo finger force.

The acoustic Yamaha Disklavier pianos used in the ePiano Competition (from which some of Pianoteq's sample files are created) have well calibrated MIDI velocity sensors that (as mentioned previously) rarely report a value exceeding 110, but which include a wide range of values starting at very low values for pianissimo finger force. In contrast, many digital MIDI keyboards often produce a shorter, compressed range of values for light to very strong finger force, and as mentioned, sometimes produce mezzo MIDI velocity values at pianissimo finger force, and values greater than 110 or 115 for merely moderately-strong finger force, all of which necessitate not only creating an appropriate velocity-response curve in Pianoteq, but also translating higher reported velocity values to lower velocity values in Pianoteq's velocity curve or line. Otherwise, Pianoteq can sound as though the pianist is playing very loudly, pounding the keys with metal-reinforced gloves (for example ) rather than playing with a typical range of human finger force.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (03-01-2022 16:30)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
YvesTh wrote:

Indeed this curve only accentuates the problem of a keyboard reaching 110 maximum.

To clarify, the problem of some MIDI keyboards is not that the sensors reach a maximum of about 110-to-115 velocity-value, but rather that the range of velocities registered and reported by the keyboard's velocity sensors is shifted (or biased) toward higher velocities while neglecting the lower range of velocities, such that pianissimo may start at a velocity value of 30 or 35 instead of , for example, 5-15. So the problem or issue pertains to the particular range of velocities registered and transmitted by the keyboard. In that case, changing Pianoteq's velocity curve so that 127=110 (or 115 or 117) helps to map the velocities reported by the MIDI keyboard to produce a range of sounds more appropriate for pianissimo to fortississimo finger force.

The acoustic Yamaha Disklavier pianos used in the ePiano Competition (from which some of Pianoteq's sample files are created) have well calibrated MIDI velocity sensors that (as mentioned previously) rarely report a value exceeding 110, but which include a wide range of values starting at very low values for pianissimo finger force. In contrast, many digital MIDI keyboards often produce a shorter, compressed range of values for light to very strong finger force, and as mentioned, sometimes produce mezzo MIDI velocity values at pianissimo finger force, and values greater than 110 or 115 for merely moderately-strong finger force, all of which necessitate not only creating an appropriate velocity-response curve in Pianoteq, but also translating higher reported velocity values to lower velocity values in Pianoteq's velocity curve or line. Otherwise, Pianoteq can sound as though the pianist is playing very loudly, pounding the keys with metal-reinforced gloves (for example ) rather than playing with a typical range of human finger force.

However, whatever the keyboard used, such a curve prevents from reaching the fff dynamics of pianoteq (thus the specific fff timbre). You can reach a high volume depending on your output settings but it is not the same thing. On the other hand a convex curve but still reaching 127-127 at the end can correct a too sensitive keyboard without depriving itself of the complète dynamics.

YvesTh wrote:

However, whatever the keyboard used, such a curve prevents from reaching the fff dynamics of pianoteq (thus the specific fff timbre).  ...

That's true, although how exaggerated or accentuated a timbre would one want, especially when playing the keys with only moderate force? To my ears, the timbre of the range of maximum velocity values in Pianoteq, rather than sounding like fff  or ffff, often seems to sound more like an unnatural ffffff to ffffffff, or a force and sound that is not possible with human fingers alone, a force that might actually break the strings (and soundboard), if Pianoteq's strings and soundboard were not indestructible.

However, rather than adjusting Pianoteq's velocity curve or line as mentioned in previous posts in this discussion thread, using Pianoteq's hammer-hardness sliders to reduce the Forte hammer hardness has a similar effect.

For many parameters, Pianoteq offers a wider range of adjustment than most users would need or want most of the time (and to my ears, this includes velocity/timbre response), but it is very nice to be able to push the parameters outside of a normal or usual range, if or when we want to do so.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (04-01-2022 01:00)
--

I just went back to 7.4.2 because get random note hangs with the newest version.
I'm not sure yet if it's my setup or Pianoteq itself that causes them.

So far I don't get them after switching back to 7.4.2
I'm playing a VPC1 via USB MIDI into a Macbook from 2018.

I first thought it might be the pedal controller (which is really the weak point in the VPC1...), I disconnected it but the hangs were still randomly there.

I'll try to troubleshoot this again, but I first need to do some recordings.
Anyway, posting this here, maybe someone else experiencing this(?).

I'm using Pianoteq since v7 and it's FANTASTIC!

Apart from the meticulous revoicing, its obvious, the whole 'subsystem' velocity response
has been reworked(i guess)
Therefore, its essential, 'everybody' needs to go through (painful)re-adjustment their respective velocities..
(..possibly, individually for each piano?!). As already stated, the fff velocities should be veryverydifficult to reach,
for realistic playing.
One other thing(thisis offtopic somehow, playing the 'Mistral'):
Messingaround with a combination of the 2 EQ3; besides the obvious transformations
in highs&lows, the spacial feeling of the piano was affected.
(Even more dramatically than repositioning its mics!)..rhetorical question
Pianoteq is a very sophisticated piece of software(sorry if sounding snobby, not for oversimplistic people,
who are lazy and/or just want to go load some samples sitdown&play..)

Last edited by BACHiANOS (04-01-2022 00:18)

Admittedly, when i first played pianoteq version 5.4.x or so, there were defeciences in many places..After6years,
we are presented with a truly PLAYABLE pianoprogram in many aspects(that many times canbeconfused withthe real thing!)
Many educated/'sophisticated' opinions&ideas in the forums..thankseverybody, asaresult to the passion for (serious)pianoplaying
Just two thoughts:
-Besides a-brand-new concert grand(!), I think 'improvements' in the microphones panel-section,
either the GUI or the microphones(orboth), are desirable..(maybe ithasbeenposted already somewhere!)
-The reallygood Ruckers harpsichord(Giusti and the other freebies) possibly need some refinements
(in view of the best hpsi samplelibraries out there..)
Something is lacking in the overall 'breadth' (nuances)of the instrument, release samples not convincing enough..
Is there room for improvement here?
As a final remark, Pianoteq really 'takes-off' through micro-adjustments of selectedparameters(PRO version is best)
and..
a really good(expensive!?) surround(or pseudosurround) audiosystem
Onceagain, verygrateful to u modartt, for your pioneering project!

Last edited by BACHiANOS (04-01-2022 01:00)

Michael10 wrote:

I just went back to 7.4.2 because get random note hangs with the newest version.

It's rare, but during the past few days I've heard several of what seem to be stuck notes (like an absence of a note-off event, or a damper not muting the strings after a note is released) while using the Pianoteq 7.5.2 standalone app. Am unable to pinpoint the cause so far or find a way to reproduce the issue, and it might just be the result of something I did while playing (like rapidly changing presets one or more times with the sustain pedal still depressed, or some other type of idiosyncratic user behavior the effects of which Pianoteq itself cannot be held responsible for).

If the issue persists or is confirmed by others, it might be better to send a report to the Pianoteq developers (Options-->About-->"Feedback and bug reports" at bottom of pane) or start a new discussion thread about this possible issue.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (04-01-2022 17:57)
--

It's been a while since I been here. The Pianoteq 7 update the first time I saw it was extraordinary. The NY Steinway D and Petrof Mistral were a good introduction to Pianoteq. I'm glad they are introducing more interesting things into this great software.

Thanks Stephen, good to know I'm not the only one:-)

I'll test again later, staying on 7.4.2 for now because of some work to do, never happens there after being back for ~5 playing hours.
Might already be addressed in an update when I'm back on 7.5.x....

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
Michael10 wrote:

It's rare, but during the past few days I've heard several of what seem to be stuck notes (like an absence of a note-off event, or a damper not muting the strings after a note is released) while using the Pianoteq 7.5.2 standalone app. Am unable to pinpoint the cause so far or find a way to reproduce the issue, and it might just be the result of something I did while playing (like rapidly changing presets one or more times with the sustain pedal still depressed, or some other type of idiosyncratic user behavior the effects of which Pianoteq itself cannot be held responsible for).

If the issue persists or is confirmed by others, it might be better to send a report to the Pianoteq developers (Options-->About-->"Feedback and bug reports" at bottom of pane) or start a new discussion thread about this possible issue.

Hi,

Same issues only when i'm on Battery (Laptop), howewer work well Laptop Power Adapter connected.
(Energy Strategy / CPU ?)

Olivier W wrote:

Same issues only when i'm on Battery (Laptop), howewer work well Laptop Power Adapter connected.
(Energy Strategy / CPU ?)

My laptop is aways pugged in to the power supply, so this is probably not the reason, at least in my case.

I totally agree to feedbacks from many of us.

I am gonna explain from 2 sides, both good and bad, because honest review is what the world need.

1. For me the Pianoteq version 7.5.1 (not 7.5.2) is the closest to the perfection of real acoustic piano.

2. The Piano key and sound that coming trough my headphone is very direct. Now I don't use 32 or even 64 buffer size anymore. 128 buffer size with 2.7ms latency through RME Babyface Pro is totally playable effortless with joy.

3. Because of that, my finger also doesn't suffer as before. I can play ppp to fff effortless.

For that perfection, I thank you very much to the Modartt team for their hardworking.

Now for the Bad news. The 7.5.2 version is not as good as 7.5.1 in term of realism. I already try to do everything from adjusting velocity curve in both Pianoteq and Kawai VPC-1, the buffer size to 64. Also 32 buffer size in Ableton, Cubase and Pro Tools, also 16 buffer size in Reaper.
The transition of playing in dynamic form ppp to fff is Not as smooth as 7.5.1.

Although many not agreeable with me in this one, I totally understand.

For this reason, I am still using the 7.5.1.

Thank you for reading this review.

PS:

For further review, I will post the sound different playing between 7.5.1 and 7.5.2 "If" many of us requested. That include the midi file so everyone can hear the different.

Aside from this, I am 42 years old ex-ashmatic. in 2017, my hear completely back to normal. I had hearing problem for 30 somethings years.
Since the asthma gone my hearing is like a baby. I can hear sounds very sensitive. Many times a few friend call me to help them mix their recording because their hearing already tired.

Forgive my language. Although I live in U.S since 2006, my English always broken, all because of asthma and trouble hearing. Now I my hearing is healed, but language is still hard for me to fix. Thanks for your understanding.

YouTube page: Dulistan Heman

dulistan heman wrote:

Now for the Bad news. The 7.5.2 version is not as good as 7.5.1 in term of realism.

This is strange, the instruments haven't been changed from 7.5.1 to 7.5.2. There must be some weird reason, to be investigated... If you have some comparison files, you are welcome to submit them to the support https://www.modartt.com/support

BACHiANOS wrote:

Apart from the meticulous revoicing, its obvious, the whole 'subsystem' velocity response
has been reworked(i guess)
Therefore, its essential, 'everybody' needs to go through (painful)re-adjustment their respective velocities..
(..possibly, individually for each piano?!). As already stated, the fff velocities should be veryverydifficult to reach,
for realistic playing.

Same here. After my initial "wow" playing with 7.5, I realized that the velocity response had changed so much that I either had to go back to 7.4 or rework my velocity curves and presets. I chose the latter. Took me an hour or so, but so far the results are worth it. With my Roland FP-80 as a controller, I get a very large dynamic range with 7.5, and my favorite models (Steingraeber, Mistral, and three-way Morph of Steingraeber/Steinway B/Bechstein) sound better than ever.

Last edited by aWc (05-01-2022 19:52)
PT 7.3 with Steinway B and D, U4 upright, YC5, Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Ant. Petrov, Kremsegg Collection #2, Electric Pianos and Hohner Collection. http://antoinewcaron.com

BACHiANOS wrote:

As a final remark, Pianoteq really 'takes-off' through micro-adjustments of selectedparameters(PRO version is best)
and..
a really good(expensive!?) surround(or pseudosurround) audiosystem
Onceagain, verygrateful to u modartt, for your pioneering project!

Agreed about the PRO version. It is not as daunting as one can imagine. No need to start tweaking every imaginable parameter. Just focus on what you want to improve in the sound: changing hammer hardness (in one or all three ranges) in addition to note volume is often all that is needed!

aWc wrote:

Agreed about the PRO version. It is not as daunting as one can imagine. No need to start tweaking every imaginable parameter. Just focus on what you want to improve in the sound

Agreed. My MIDI keyboard (a Kawai MP11SE) tends to accentuate the black keys, by which I mean that the leverage in the hammer action of the shorter black keys tends to reach higher MIDI velocities (and more forte timbres), at about the same finger force, in comparison with the white keys. So I often use the "Octave" drawing mode in Note Edit to easily reduce the Forte hammer hardness and/or volume of the black keys across the entire keyboard range.

https://imgur.com/BQGtsZQ.png

Small adjustments of other parameters, without trying to be too comprehensive or change everything, can have very satisfactory results.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (05-01-2022 20:59)
--

Nice use of the 'Octave' mode Stephen

I got big problem upgrading form 7.4.2 to 7.5.2 on mac mini OS Mojave:  in stand alone as well as VST ( Reaper), the keybed graphics are gone.....everything below "Condition"is missing. try to rollback to 7.42 ( without first uninstall...but that version now has same fault. It plays ok.

I am a bit afraid to do the uninstall first, for not sure if I need to go through the whole exercise of authorisation??

geert wrote:

I got big problem upgrading form 7.4.2 to 7.5.2 on mac mini OS Mojave:  in stand alone as well as VST ( Reaper), the keybed graphics are gone.....everything below "Condition"is missing. try to rollback to 7.42 ( without first uninstall...but that version now has same fault. It plays ok.

I am a bit afraid to do the uninstall first, for not sure if I need to go through the whole exercise of authorisation??

Didn't you just toggle the keyboard off with the control at the bottom left, aligned with Condition?

Sorry: I just saw the tiny triangle in the bottom left, where I can toggle the kb on-off; never noticed this before!!  IS this new?? Everything ok now.

geert wrote:

Sorry: I just saw the tiny triangle in the bottom left, where I can toggle the kb on-off; never noticed this before!!  IS this new?? Everything ok now.

It's always been there but I agree it's almost invisible...

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Also note that when the interface is in fullscreen mode, the top of the menus is cut off, as if they didn't fit on the screen.

Confirmed: this is a screenshot of my 2560x1440-pixel monitor with Pianoteq in full-screen mode, using Linux Mint XFCE desktop.

I'm also seeing this on Raspberry Pi at much smaller resolution, I wonder if it's a JUCE issue?

jari_42 wrote:
Stephen_Doonan wrote:

I'm also seeing this on Raspberry Pi at much smaller resolution, I wonder if it's a JUCE issue?

No, this is exactly the issue I mentioned in this other thread: https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=9036

Sadly the "cosmetic" of the interface that makes it look fancy and cool has priority on the functionality and discoverability of the features. I had a similar experience with other "invisible" checkboxes too.

dv wrote:
jari_42 wrote:
Stephen_Doonan wrote:

No, this is exactly the issue I mentioned in this other thread: https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=9036

Sadly the "cosmetic" of the interface that makes it look fancy and cool has priority on the functionality and discoverability of the features. I had a similar experience with other "invisible" checkboxes too.

This specific fullscreen clipped menubar issue only appeared in 7.5.x though.

jari_42 wrote:
dv wrote:

This specific fullscreen clipped menubar issue only appeared in 7.5.x though.

Ah, you are right, I thought I was replying to

Gilles wrote:
geert wrote:

It's always been there but I agree it's almost invisible...

My message is still valid in reply to the latter, but irrelevant wrt the former. My bad, sorry

Phil Best comments about pianoteq 7.5 updated revoiced pianos :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1QdEuY4m5BE

He loved it...

Last edited by Beto-Music (08-01-2022 19:29)

Hi,
has VST plugin also changed to newest version?
When I start standalone Pianoteq it shows 7.5.1
When I start VST plugin in DAW it shows 7.1.

I reinstalled the 7.5.1 version with vst checked to be sure, but vst still shows 7.1.

Is it normal?

Thanks Filip

FYI, Pianoteq is up to version 7.5.2 now.  If the VST and standalone version don't show the same version then perhaps your installation of Pianoteq has not installed the VST version correctly.  What OS are you using?   In particular, if you use linux, you have to install everything yourself in the correct directories, so there is room for error.

varpa wrote:

FYI, Pianoteq is up to version 7.5.2 now.  If the VST and standalone version don't show the same version then perhaps your installation of Pianoteq has not installed the VST version correctly.  What OS are you using?   In particular, if you use linux, you have to install everything yourself in the correct directories, so there is room for error.

Thanks for help. It's my mistake. Plugins were installed successfully, but in CakeWalk it shows Pianoteq 7.1. But it's not the version, it's track number When I looked into options it shows correctly 7.5.2.

Thank you.