Topic: Windows App is almost invisible and useless

The Pianoteq in windows is now so small I can hardly see it - no way I can maximise or resize it. I use PIanoteq as standalone and Inside bitwig -- Now the standalone app screen is about 4x4 cm which is not helpfull when I want a new piano sound

Any advice on this ?

link to pix: https://ibb.co/34Dt0S5

https://i.ibb.co/GnKgVCf/pianoteq-problem.jpg

Last edited by Finnbjerke (14-12-2021 01:10)

Re: Windows App is almost invisible and useless

Go to Menu -> Window -> Magnification ->
and there choose a option. For a 1080 screen 125% works fine.

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

marcos daniel wrote:

Go to Menu -> Window -> Magnification ->
and there choose a option. For a 1080 screen 125% works fine.

This "workaround" obviously work, but it would be nice if Pianoteq would move away from that (stupid, in my opinion) industry standard of making the interface just "images" that need to be scaled, rather than regular GUI which can be resized in both X and Y directions independently. And perhaps with stuff that could be moved around more freely (like they already do with note-by-note editing).

Admittedly, Pianoteq is the best in the industry in that regard, but it could be even better, in my opinion, if they abandoned this idea altogether and did what every non-music program does: be resizeable as the user see fit.

Pianoteq makes the windows so small on purpuse so the cute doggy will not be covered=)

Strange. I use the application as a standalone quite a bit on Windows. It has never presented itself in this reduced size.

dv wrote:

Admittedly, Pianoteq is the best in the industry in that regard, but it could be even better, in my opinion, if they abandoned this idea altogether and did what every non-music program does: be resizeable as the user see fit.

Most non-music programs, except games, use mostly standard user interface elements — text entry boxes, drop-downs, check-boxes and the like. They usually don't scale with the layout; rather, some of them resize to allow more or less content. (When you resize your media player window, the video resizes, but the player controls almost certainly don't. When you resize your browser window, the space for displaying a page changes, but the size of the toolbar icons and menu text doesn't. How the page itself changes is up to the page, but few pages scale text size or standard interactive elements.)

The user interfaces of most music programs consist primarily of items that contain a fixed amount of information, but are not standard in appearance. Scaling those with the window is certainly possible, but it's tricky and a lot of things can go wrong. I suspect most music programs use fixed scaling sizes, rather than auto-scaling to the window, because it keeps the layout predictable and lets them focus on the sound. I'm pretty sure the user interface in almost every "professional" music program already occupies a much larger part of development time and effort than users suspect or developers like.

Are you using a 4K screen? Perhaps something changed where Pianoteq used to reference one of the scaling factors set in the operating system (used to size the icons on your screen, text in message boxes, etc.) to set its default magnification, and now it isn't retrieving or acting on that information properly. It looks as if it "thinks" you have a typical (i.e. 1920x1080) screen and isn't taking into account the greater pixel density of a 4K screen.

Coises wrote:
dv wrote:

The user interfaces of most music programs consist primarily of items that contain a fixed amount of information, but are not standard in appearance. Scaling those with the window is certainly possible, but it's tricky and a lot of things can go wrong. I suspect most music programs use fixed scaling sizes, rather than auto-scaling to the window, because it keeps the layout predictable and lets them focus on the sound. I'm pretty sure the user interface in almost every "professional" music program already occupies a much larger part of development time and effort than users suspect or developers like.

Are you using a 4K screen?

Quite the reverse, I'm on a small screen and I need to efficiently display what I need, and hence resize with parsimony (and differently in X vs Y) rather than with the fixed available steps. Your argument of "fixed" amount information does not resonate at all with me!! PTQ is full of sliders, textboxes, buttons and the likes. If they used a regular interface, rather than fancy-looking, I'd be much more usable, clear and intuitive in my opinion. And probably easier/faster to develop. For example, for a long time I did not realize that the L next to the volume control was the limiter checkbox.... If they just used standard sliders and checkboxes....

But most people like appearance more than substance, and so I am not holding my breath on them changing it (and admittedly it does look good). In any case, as I said, PTQ is already the best of everything I tried (I really hate Kontakt) and I greatly applaud them for releasing the JSON API which soon (after a few bugs will be ironed out) will make the whole thing a moot point, by solving many problems (including this minor one) in one shot!

Last edited by dv (29-12-2021 01:59)

https://i.ibb.co/G0Dnvjk/Clipboard01.jpg

I've never had a problem resizing the app to a visible size... even at 4096 x 2160

Kawai MP11SE / Pianoteq Pro Studio Bundle v7.5.2 (includes every Pianoteq instrument - 21 currently)

Use the Pianoteq manual/user guide for any simple question like this.
Look at section 2.10.

I suggest you try between 175-250%

Pianoteq GUI is one of the best out there.