Re: Pianoteq 7

YvesTh wrote:

J'utilisais le freeze pour verrouiller ma courbe de velocité personnalisée afin qu'elle soit toujours active lorsque je change d'instrument ou de preset. Je n'arrive plus à la verrouiller et je suis obligé chaque fois de la réactiver.
Sorry for the french but Philippe Guillaume understand very well.

Vous pouvez faire ça maitenant avec la "Global velocity", petit bouton G à droite sous la courbe de velocité.

You can do that with the "Global velocity", G button on the right below the velocity curve.

as said Zaskar

♪♫ We wish us a Merry Christmas, ♪♫
♪♫ We wish us a Merry Christmas, ♪♫
♪♫ And a Happy New Yeaaaah!!! ♪♫

thank you Modartt

Philippe Guillaume wrote:
YvesTh wrote:

J'utilisais le freeze pour verrouiller ma courbe de velocité personnalisée afin qu'elle soit toujours active lorsque je change d'instrument ou de preset. Je n'arrive plus à la verrouiller et je suis obligé chaque fois de la réactiver.
Sorry for the french but Philippe Guillaume understand very well.

Vous pouvez faire ça maitenant avec la "Global velocity", petit bouton G à droite sous la courbe de velocité.

You can do that with the "Global velocity", G button on the right below the velocity curve.

Thank you for this information.
Another little question. A new audio output appears "windows audio (low latence mode)" .  Is this mode the wasapi mode and is it an exclusive mode ? And a bitperfect mode ?

A long-time user, I bought the 7 update after learning about it.

After 3 minutes of playing I want to thank you all. The incredible advantage of pianoteq is that all of us users of all kinds with older machines can simply be sure that from version 2 to 3 or now 6 to 7 there will still be a glitch-cpu-overload free Pianoteq. I will check but there seems to be nearly no loss in the performance index.

This is sheer wizardry. The sound getting better all the time, but a well kept machine from 2012 is still a good PC to enjoy Pianoteq.

Thank you so much!  As to the sounds - all of you can still keep the former version and compare for yourselves! I must always start with the wonderful Bechstein, because a relative of mine who really could play extremely good, unlike me^^, she had a real Bechstein some 100 years ago.
So the evening will be the time to play with the new New York Steinway grand D and the changed sound of the Hamburg Steinway D.

And even if we're not really in the age of "AI" and the machines are still doing what we tell them to, it seems my old AMD 2012 PC and an even older laptop (in case we will be able to do little voyages again and I will be able to take pianoteq and the laptop with me to an old house in no-man's land^^) seem to want to say a big "thank you, Modartt!" because it works so well. Code written to avoid that millions have to throw away their macs or whatever constantly - wonderful is all I can say.

I got the update for free, since I bought P6 this year in summer. (Just check your profile, you don't have to do anything, NICE!). In my first tests the sounds wasn't much different but the Morphing feature is a game changer. Hot damn, we are going to see some amazing stuff come out of this. The results from my firsts tests were mindblowing.

Pianoteq 7 - Steinway D/B, C.Bechstein, U4, Electric Pianos

YvesTh wrote:

Another little question. A new audio output appears "windows audio (low latence mode)" .  Is this mode the wasapi mode and is it an exclusive mode ? And a bitperfect mode ?

"Windows Audio" in the Pianoteq options/devices panel is wasapi, so there are now three flavours of wasapi The shared one, the exclusive one, and the new one (only on recent windows 10 releases), which is supposed to bring the low latency of the exclusive one, while still allowing the soundcard to be shared with other applications.

But I feel that the promised "low latency" depends very much on the sound card drivers, and that ASIO is still a safer bet for low latency.

florian.rachor wrote:

the Morphing feature is a game changer. Hot damn, we are going to see some amazing stuff come out of this. The results from my firsts tests were mindblowing.

Regarding morphing, you may like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2oZlMu...e=emb_logo

florian.rachor wrote:

the Morphing feature is a game changer. Hot damn, we are going to see some amazing stuff come out of this. The results from my firsts tests were mindblowing.

Regarding morphing, you may like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2oZlMu...e=emb_logo

I have been playing around with this a little more. This is so extremely good, I predict  this will be the killer feature of P7, let's see if I'm right. I just played around with a morph of the DG Bechstein and an electric piano, this is just fantastic.

Tell your team (and yourself of course) a big thank you for this and congratulations on the good work.

julien wrote:
YvesTh wrote:

"Windows Audio" in the Pianoteq options/devices panel is wasapi, so there are now three flavours of wasapi The shared one, the exclusive one, and the new one (only on recent windows 10 releases), which is supposed to bring the low latency of the exclusive one, while still allowing the soundcard to be shared with other applications.

But I feel that the promised "low latency" depends very much on the sound card drivers, and that ASIO is still a safer bet for low latency.

I always had troubles with asio4all ( little clics ) not only with pianoteq but with other softwares. Wasapi works better for me with my FX-AUDIO DAC-X6. I don't know if  this problem with asio is from my pc or my dac.

Please correct "Mophing" on the tab of overview page for P7: https://www.modartt.com/pianoteq

Dan

Last edited by CuriousDan (11-11-2020 11:19)

CuriousDan wrote:

Please correct "Mophing" on the tab of overview page for P7: https://www.modartt.com/pianoteq

Dan

Wow, we had this under our eyes a million times without seeing it! Thank you very much, it is fixed.

Very good job on the Steinways. They have a clear and more solid feel with more crunch in the bass region. It sounds cleaner playing triads than in version 6. It sounds more like what I've tried the fine-tune with version 6.

NY Steinway Model D and the HB Steinway Model D are perfect for me.

I couldn't find the Bosendorfers in the demos.

Last edited by DonSmith (11-11-2020 12:36)

Well! I've only had time to doodle around with a few presets so far, but I'm absolutely blown away. Fantastic work from the Modartt team. The NY Steinway is a real treasure.
I truly think that Pianoteq now has the power to obliterate every other piano VST on the planet!

Edit: I just had to spend a few minutes playing with the Morphing feature after watching the Modartt video. Incredible!!!!

Last edited by dazric (11-11-2020 13:06)

AlphaTerminus wrote:

Will this run on the new MacBooks with ARM M1 processors?

Same question from me as well.
(My MacBookPro had its 11th birthday this year ...)

I just updated… Does anybody know whether the problems with Dorico have been solved? I've had a couple of crashes where Pianoteq6 was clearly involved (the culprit), according to the diagnostics files.

Any improvement in the harp model?

leogardini wrote:

Any improvement in the harp model?

Both harps benefit from the double polarization model too.

I upgraded to Pianoteq 7 last evening and I think it surely has remarkable improvements over version 6!

The Steinway Ds on the whole sound a lot more 'three dimensional'. The bass notes are stronger, seem to have higher partial content, and longer and more realistic sustains.

Thanks to Modartt for generously including the New York Steinways as well without us needing to buy a new instrument pack.

There is only one small thing I am a bit concerned about and perhaps other forum members/admins can help me with it:
- Is anybody else noticing an artificially synthesized string sound (wiry) when playing the NY Steinways? Something like the effect of a simple Karplus Strong algorithm. Although this effect is quite mild, I am hearing it quite often when I play without any pedal. I have never personally played a Spirio R so I am not sure if this is an inherent quality of this instrument.

On the whole, I am super happy with the upgrade and am really enjoying the sounds in the new version.

Last edited by Pianosaurus (11-11-2020 16:00)

One quick observation, comparing v6 and v7. Dynamics settings seem to be considerably reduced for many presets. An extreme example is Steinway B Recording 3, which has gone down from 60dB(!) to 36dB. My guess is that it's something to do with the basic sound being more vibrant. I'd be interested to know more.

dazric wrote:

One quick observation, comparing v6 and v7. Dynamics settings seem to be considerably reduced for many presets. An extreme example is Steinway B Recording 3, which has gone down from 60dB(!) to 36dB. My guess is that it's something to do with the basic sound being more vibrant. I'd be interested to know more.

I noticed the same and was wondering why too.

Great CGI transformers work, blending perfectly with the Prelude morphing.

I wonder what the haters will try do. The only thing they can say it's try to acuse pianoteq of multiple personalities disorder.

Interesting you decide to include New York Steinway-D direct in the Steinway Hamburg-D pack. A nice gift to pianoteq users.

Last edited by Beto-Music (11-11-2020 16:36)

Pianosaurus wrote:
dazric wrote:

I noticed the same and was wondering why too.

Yes, 60 dB was a bit exaggerated I find (higher than a real acoustic). We went down to more "reasonable" values.

The freeze parameters don't seem to persist between sessions. I use it to control the main volume and it's the only way as my sound card is always at max volume when using ASIO. Maybe the volume could be separated like the global velocity curves?

Dear Modartt teams

Thank you so much for Pianoteq 7. Wow!!!

Warmest regards,

Chris

Is there a way to keep some options permanently frozen in Pianoteq 7?  In Pianoteq 6 it was "set as default" in the parameter freeze window.

If not, will this be reintroduced?

EDIT.  forgot to say, but I'm thoroughly enjoying all the other improvements / changes

Last edited by Edchamberlain (11-11-2020 18:54)

Is anyone else having issues with horrible overtones that ruin the experience with PT7?

New York Steinway D: This instrument feels mostly like a real step up in terms of tone and realism to the sound - but it's like an unfinished product. I've been playing with it all day, I've set up my velocity curve to my DP action, but in the mid-section the sound feels very distant / muffled. There are also some REALLY unpleasant harmonics on some notes that seem to drown everything else out. This happens for me mostly with C6 on this instrument, and it physically hurts! As the note blooms it just becomes harsh, horrible and overpowering. I can sort-of get round it with a custom microphone configuration, but it makes the instrument unplayable on 'binaural' mode - which is what I use 99% of the time. It's such a shame, as this particular instrument shows a lot of promise of a potential step up in terms of tone / tone development.

Bechstein D282: This has been my go-to instrument ever since it came out a couple of years ago - it's exactly the tone and response I like. It feels like this instrument has been totally ruined in version 7 of PianoTeq. I have a similar issue with harshness in the treble, and this time it's G6 that is giving me issues, but the bloom on most of the treble register makes it sound really horrible in general. I still have v6.x.x installed, and this plays just how I like - so it's not my ears!

I'm not a sound engineer, I don't understand how to tweak Pianoteq sufficiently to get rid of the characteristics I'm coming up against - I'm a pianist and I just want it to sound like it did before...

Many thanks for this update!!
Morphing is awesome: finally an easy to use phisical modelling soundcreation tool on the planet!When you have these non-piano add ons ,you can shape your sound in any direction with superb playable results!

hornet900 wrote:

Hi all. At pianoteq 7 every time I change instrument it loses my velocity curve!!!

The velocity curve differs for each instrument, so it will naturally change as you change instruments. However, you can now create universal velocity curves. Right-click inside the Velocity Curve pane to find this.

hougtimo wrote:

Is anyone else having issues with horrible overtones that ruin the experience with PT7?

The Bechstein has been my main instrument in PT6 Standard, so I'm most familiar with the sound of that model. I most often listen with headphones, using the Player perspective preset, the Jazz Studio reverb preset, and the Sound Recording output.  With the same settings, the Bechstein in PT7 sounds slightly brighter to my ears, but in a way that seems more realistic and present to me.

On the other hand, the NY Steinway model has some odd issues...blurry, remote, indistinct.  Perhaps this is some incompatibility with my system or perhaps a bug in the new model, but for sure something strange.  The original Hamburg Steinway model sounds great, much improved, to my ears.

7.002 already available.

hougtimo wrote:

Bechstein D282: This has been my go-to instrument ever since it came out a couple of years ago - it's exactly the tone and response I like. It feels like this instrument has been totally ruined in version 7 of PianoTeq. I have a similar issue with harshness in the treble, and this time it's G6 that is giving me issues, but the bloom on most of the treble register makes it sound really horrible in general. I still have v6.x.x installed, and this plays just how I like - so it's not my ears!

I'd like to have a look. Could you please choose a builtin preset that illustrates your issue, make a small example and send to our support https://www.modartt.com/support:
- name of the preset used
- MIDI file
- audio file (mp3) rendered with V6, exported from the standalone version
- audio file (mp3) rendered with V7, exported from the standalone version
That way we will be able to work on it.

Is it just me or are other users also noticing that the new NY Steinway D and the Steinway B in version 7 both have an artificial wiry quality to the sound? This is especially noticeable when playing without sustain pedal or too much reverb. 

I am using a MacBook pro-2017 and AKG studio headphones.

The Hamburg Steinway D on the other hand sounds quite fantastic and has definitely improved over version 6.

manaatti wrote:

The freeze parameters don't seem to persist between sessions. I use it to control the main volume and it's the only way as my sound card is always at max volume when using ASIO. Maybe the volume could be separated like the global velocity curves?

Yes, it doesn't get saved.
And it's not just between sessions, meaning that if I open (or even copy) any number of instances in the DAW within the same session, the "freeze list" is always reset.
In v6 there was a "save as default" button which saved and recalled the list everytime, but that's missing in v7.

On the other hand, v7 saves and recalls the "copy list" of parameters between sessions and instances, but this means you'd have to use the "paste" button every time you load a new preset.
It's either that, or you currently have to re-select the list of frozen parameters every time you open Pianoteq.

Edchamberlain wrote:

Is there a way to keep some options permanently frozen in Pianoteq 7?  In Pianoteq 6 it was "set as default" in the parameter freeze window.
If not, will this be reintroduced?

I haven't foud a way to do that.
For the way I use Pianoteq, I'm missing both the "set as default" and the "freeze toggle" button. It occurred to me within the first few minutes with v7.
https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php...79#p970779

Hopefully they'll both be reintroduced, if not in the main page of the GUI (referred to the old "freeze toggle" button), at least as check/uncheck options or buttons on the "frozen parameter list" window.

Last edited by Niowiad (12-11-2020 00:18)

I just (re)downloaded KIViR.ptq

Now it's accessible in 7.0.2 but not in 6.7.3 anymore !?!?

Anyone else?

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

Anyone else is having trouble with sustain pedal noise on U4 completely missing?. Not a big deal, but curious

Key Fumbler wrote:

7.002 already available.

I just loaded it... doesn't say what it fixes

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

Zaskar wrote:

I just (re)downloaded KIViR.ptq

Now it's accessible in 7.0.2 but not in 6.7.3 anymore !?!?

Anyone else?

The Kivir collection has been updated with the new modelling (double polarization) hence KIViR.ptq cannot be loaded in Pianoteq 6. For Pianoteq 6, you need KIViR_v6.ptq that you can download from the legacy section at the bottom of the user area.

I recommend to have them in separate folders to avoid conflicts.

Pianosaurus wrote:

Is it just me or are other users also noticing that the new NY Steinway D and the Steinway B in version 7 both have an artificial wiry quality to the sound? This is especially noticeable when playing without sustain pedal or too much reverb.

I'd like to have a look at this too. There are many presets with quite different qualities, which preset are you using? Could you please choose a builtin preset that illustrates your issue, make a small example and send to our support https://www.modartt.com/support:
- name of the preset used
- MIDI file
- audio file (mp3) exported from the standalone version
That way we will be able to work on it.

An important remark regarding sound: among the many things that have been done to all pianos during their general revoicing, the volume itself has been finely adjusted (globally and note per note). In particular, it may happen in some version 7 presets that they are not as loud as in version 6.

Now it is well know that loudness contributes in an important way to how the sound is perceived. A 1 dB increase, which is very small, won't usually be perceived as a variation in volume but more likely like a subtle variation in timbre (it will sound "thicker"). Same can be said, to a lesser extend, with a 2 dB variation.

Consequently, when perceiving timbre variations, check first that the volume is not responsible for the difference.

Of course there are other differences between V6 and V7, which, to be heard clearly for what they are, require that the volume itself is the same.

I had more time to try it out yesterday. There are a lot more changes to the sound then I initally thought. The Bechstein has some serious ooomph now in the low end, in comparison the PT6 versions sounds really flat. The U4 is also greatly improved, it just sounds fuller with a lot more body (sorry sound is hard to describe, but I think that fits it best)

I tried PT6 and 7 back to back, and I was really suprised of how much the Bechstein improved. Really great job. The only remaining gripe is that metallic overtone in the treble notes that is distinct to PT, that's still there from what I can say (can be mitigated a lot with settings though). The bass part is absolutely beautiful now though.

One thing though: I have to say that the "default velocity curve" that I made for PT6 doesn't work for all pianos in PT7 anymore, so the global curve doesn't help me. I'll have to make a specific curve for each instrument it seems.

EB5AGV wrote:

Anyone else is having trouble with sustain pedal noise on U4 completely missing?. Not a big deal, but curious

I just want to confirm.

(Pianoteq v7.0.2 x86-64bit)

Last edited by groovy (12-11-2020 10:17)

groovy wrote:
EB5AGV wrote:

I just want to confirm.

(Pianoteq v7.0.2 x86-64bit)

Yes, it's a bug. We are working on fixing it.

Fixed in version 7.0.3

julien wrote:

Fixed in version 7.0.3

Thanks!

Regarding the velocity curves and dynamics, I find that the default settings in 7 are much better than those in 6.

In 6 the defaults felt numb and I had to modify the curve and compensate the dynamic setting, but in 7 the straight line and presets are already spot on. I think it might also be more responsive and that adds to the feeling.

Overall really nice upgrade and I love it how fast the small bugs are getting fixed

The Kivir collection has been updated with the new modelling (double polarization) hence KIViR.ptq cannot be loaded in Pianoteq 6. For Pianoteq 6, you need KIViR_v6.ptq that you can download from the legacy section at the bottom of the user area.

I'm confused. I'm fully upgraded to v7. But in my user area, the most recent version of Kivir available to me says 'requires version 6.5 or later'.

dazric wrote:

I'm confused. I'm fully upgraded to v7. But in my user area, the most recent version of Kivir available to me says 'requires version 6.5 or later'.

Sorry for the confusion, it should be written 'requires version 7.0 or later', we will fix the typo. That KIViR.ptq file on the main user area page is the good one (for v7).

Aha, it's fixed now. Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion, it should be written 'requires version 7.0 or later', we will fix the typo. That KIViR.ptq file on the main user area page is the good one (for v7).

Philippe-
Have the Vibes been updated? Their instrument page still says it requires Pianoteq 3.03.

Thanks

tfort wrote:

Philippe-
Have the Vibes been updated? Their instrument page still says it requires Pianoteq 3.03.

Thanks

Yes, many things have been updated in the Vibes since version 3.

But someone owning Pianoteq version 3 and not the Vibes, and not wanting to upgrade his Pianoteq version, still can purchase the Vibes pack because it existed at that time. Of course he will get the Vibes version included in Pianoteq version 3 (the one in version 7 would not load in version 3).