Topic: Pianoteq 7

It seems it is coming? Or is there something I don't understand?

Re: Pianoteq 7

stamkorg wrote:

It seems it is coming? Or is there something I don't understand?

Hi stamkorg,

Something is surely happening -- but please be patient we're not fully ready yet

Golly gumdrops, what a turn-up!

Impulse purchase, upgrade from 6. No time to try it properly yet but the morphing function is seamless and rather cool, creating new instruments on the fly.
It has New York Steinway grand D as the new instrument.

Last edited by Key Fumbler (10-11-2020 16:35)

Wow, I think Modartt have been incredibly generous in bundling the NY model with the existing Steinway D!

Anyone else have trouble getting Pianoteq 7 (VST3, 64-bit) up and running with FL Studio 20?

Last edited by zero2nine (10-11-2020 17:34)

How much is the upgrade?

Deyvidpetro wrote:

How much is the upgrade?

Under Purchase it says "Upgrade from any version to Pianoteq 7" €29. I upgraded a pro at that price, so I guess this goes for all versions.

Upgrading more than just the version number (something like from Pianoteq stage 3 -> Pianoteq 7 pro) go here:
  https://www.modartt.com/upgrades

Last edited by zero2nine (10-11-2020 17:51)

Just updated to v7 (Stage) from v6. All seems fine, except it won't load the KIViR.ptq file. Dragged the file to the interface, as instructed, gives a message that new presets available but the don't show up. Anybody else found this?

PS this is in latest Logic 10.5.1 in latest Catalina

PPS They DO show up, but only as DEMO instruments?

Last edited by TimboB (10-11-2020 18:36)

zero2nine wrote:

Anyone else have trouble getting Pianoteq 7 (VST3, 64-bit) up and running with FL Studio 20?

I can confirm that there is something strange happening with flstudio, we will investigate.

Maybe a little early but...

♪♫ We wish us a Merry Christmas, ♪♫
♪♫ We wish us a Merry Christmas, ♪♫
♪♫ And a Happy New Yeaaaah!!! ♪♫

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

Morphing released -> *brain explodes*

I'll be back later...

So far no trouble with KIViR, but I already had the 6.x version installed (that doesn't have the 4.x instruments that became the Kremsegg packs); no trouble hosted in Cubase 10 on Windows 10 or as the standalone.

I hope to have time today to start put together some videos and demos, especially of the layering and morphing which will be extremely valuable in recreating historical instruments and building new sounds, and then I'll get around to refining my old FXPs from the 5.x and 6.x series.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

TimboB wrote:

Just updated to v7 (Stage) from v6. All seems fine, except it won't load the KIViR.ptq file. Dragged the file to the interface, as instructed, gives a message that new presets available but the don't show up. Anybody else found this?

PS this is in latest Logic 10.5.1 in latest Catalina

PPS They DO show up, but only as DEMO instruments?

I just upgraded from 6 -> 7 Stage and they don't show up for me either. They worked fine in 6. I also downloaded a new version of it, but that doesn't work in 6 or 7 (both latest versions).

tmyoung wrote:

Morphing released -> *brain explodes*

Impulse buy of the year. Just upgraded stage to 7 standard. That NY Steinway is tasty

Will our existing user presets under version 6 be automatically updated when opened in 7?

PT 7.3 with Steinway B and D, U4 upright, YC5, Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Ant. Petrov, Kremsegg Collection #2, Electric Pianos and Hohner Collection. http://antoinewcaron.com

High! The upright piano began to flirt with me .. and Blüthner ..
Oh, I can now record the orchestra on one layer and accompany on the other! And no other apps needed! I'm getting high!

Trouble with studio one 5 too. Big noise...

In standalone use the general freeze parameters are not memorized after a stop and start.

Please note that we have already released an update v7.0.1 that should fix the issue with some VST hosts (FL Studio for example), and also the issue with KIVIR.

Version 7.01 .The trouble seems to be solved with studio one too. Tank you

My only real deception about this new version is the absence of any evolution of the standalone interface. (Real full screen and a more pleasant access to favorites for exemple). Why so much unused space on the screen ?

Hello.

I'm a little confused with how v7 deals with frozen parameters.

In v6 I had a "freeze toggle" button which I used all the time... sometimes I wanted to browse through presets exactly as they were conceived, other times I wanted to browse through presets keeping some parameters locked... now I can't find a way to do that (except manually checking/unchecking each parameter on the list everytime, instead of having a global freeze/unfreeze button)

Besides that, v6 had a "save as default" option for frozen parameters, so they were saved everytime I loaded Pianoteq.
In v7 I can't seem to find this option and everytime I load Pianoteq the list of frozen parameters gets reset.

Last edited by Niowiad (10-11-2020 21:45)

I also see no All settings button and no Set as default one!

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (10-11-2020 22:20)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

aWc wrote:

Will our existing user presets under version 6 be automatically updated when opened in 7?

Yes: when you load a previous preset in Pianoteq 7, the parameters from this preset are applied to the new instrument ("under the hood"). Hence the difference in sound will be exactly the difference between the old and the new version of the base instrument, difference due to:
1) the new physical modelling,
2) the revoicing that was done on that instrument.

julien wrote:

Please note that we have already released an update v7.0.1 that should fix the issue with some VST hosts (FL Studio for example), and also the issue with KIVIR.

7.0.1 works a treat for me. Thanks. It sounds amazing, will play around with it tomorrow

Niowiad wrote:

Hello.

In v6 I had a "freeze toggle" button which I used all the time... sometimes I wanted to browse through presets exactly as they were conceived, other times I wanted to browse through presets keeping some parameters locked... now I can't find a way to do that (except manually checking/unchecking each parameter on the list everytime, instead of having a global freeze/unfreeze button)

There is now a much more convenient copy/paste feature, I encourage you to try it.
However you can still access the previous freeze feature via ctrl+F (see Options > General > Edit keyboard shortcuts).

I must admit, I'm struggling a bit with this release...

Something weird seems to have happened with the reverb settings... When playing any of the pianos - including the NY Steinway - the mid range is very harsh, and booms. This gets noticeably worse with 'wetter' reverb settings. I used to use the 'Medium Hall' setting in 6.x, but this is now unusable in 7.x because it just distorts through my headphones (Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro).

The New York Steinway really seems to be a step up in terms of tone and contrast in timbre depending on how the instrument is played. It's tantalisingly good, but it feels quite disconnected & distant. No matter what reverb effect I choose, I can't feel like I'm interacting with the instrument. It's a weird feeling, but almost like a step backwards in terms of realism.

Tone development seems to have been worked on for version 7.x, and I can sort of feel what the Pianoteq developers are aiming for. When you hold a note down - especially a bass note - you can begin to hear the tone developing, much more like an acoustic piano, but it still seems quite artificial. I feel like this is the beginning of the journey regarding tone development.

The notorious high pitched overtones are still clearly in evidence in version 7.x, especially in the lower end when played Forte or Fortissimo - the sound is still quite artificial and 'twangy'.

I'm going to persevere with this release - I think I'm going to delete all of my presets and start again and see where it takes me...

Philippe Guillaume wrote:
Niowiad wrote:

Hello.

There is now a much more convenient copy/paste feature, I encourage you to try it.
However you can still access the previous freeze feature via ctrl+F (see Options > General > Edit keyboard shortcuts).

Also right-clicking the paste button brings up the global freeze panel.

J'utilisais le freeze pour verrouiller ma courbe de velocité personnalisée afin qu'elle soit toujours active lorsque je change d'instrument ou de preset. Je n'arrive plus à la verrouiller et je suis obligé chaque fois de la réactiver.
Sorry for the french but Philippe Guillaume understand very well.

Just upgraded !!

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

Niowiad wrote:

Hello.

Global velocity curves is a convenient change to me.  Although, it appears nowhere under a Change history of Pianoteq (previously change log).

Anyway I get to play some jazz on an American piano.

Thank you!

Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Niowiad wrote:

Hello.

Thank you Mr. Guillaume

I can see the new copy/paste feature being extremely useful on many occasions, but just to further explain my earlier point:

I have 2 ways of loading presets depending on what I'm doing, and I guess it could be the same for many other Pianoteq users:
A: with some specific parameters locked, to keep consistency on some key elements of the sound ===> old "toggle freeze" checked
B: without any parameter locked, to simply hear how presets were actually fully programmed =======> old "toggle freeze" un-checked

I tend to swap between A and B very frequently, with a single click of a button (toggle freeze).

Summing it up, what in v6 was simply a matter of clicking the "toggle freeze" button, in v7 requires one of these 2 repetitive options:

1. checking and unchecking individual parameters from the "global freeze list" every-single-time there's a need to swap between A and B, and if it's like 15 parameters to check/uncheck every time, in the absence of a global button, it can become quite painful.

2. keeping the "global freeze list" always fully un-checked (for "B"), and using the new copy/paste feature to paste the copied parameters every-single-time a new preset is loaded (for "A"), which is also far from great.

The other issue was the list of frozen parameters currently not being recalled/remembered when v7 is newly loaded, meanwhile in v6 it happened through the "save as default" button. Meanwhile I noticed the "copy list" currently gets saved and recalled, which is a good thing.

I'm 100% sure adding "copy/paste" was a step forward, but I'm not as sure that getting rid of "toggle freeze" is also a step forward, since the two functions can overlap on some duties, but on other instances one can be much better suited and faster than the other.

Overal, the update brings very interesting and powerful new features. Thank you

Last edited by Niowiad (11-11-2020 02:34)

I purchased Pianoteq 6 on September 1st, 2020. Do I need to pay to upgrade to Pianoteq 7?

Thanks!

Hi all. At pianoteq 7 every time I change instrument it loses my velocity curve!!!

Damn tried new acoustic morphing thing - this is just beautiful! Thank you Modartt for this stuff, awesome addition for sound design. You are the best. 

(About available mentioned issues - i'm believe it will fix soon, thing just released)

dazric wrote:

Wow, I think Modartt have been incredibly generous in bundling the NY model with the existing Steinway D!

YES Indeed!!

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

Besides a brighter interface, tones from the pianos are brighter than they were previously.

hornet900 wrote:

Hi all. At pianoteq 7 every time I change instrument it loses my velocity curve!!!

You go to VELOCITY where you can now select Global velocity curves (applied to ALL presets).

While on a default preset if you check mark Enable global velocity curves and afterwards load your custom curve, your curve should appear on any subsequent preset you load.

Added to a row of Calibration and Reset buttons is a G button.  That you use to engage and disengage your global calibration (VELOCITY) on any current preset.

Thank you Pianoteq! What a feast! Will keep us busy for a long time.

Upgrading from Stage to Standard so I can layer...

Last edited by Kramster1 (11-11-2020 00:47)

Pianosaurus wrote:

I purchased Pianoteq 6 on September 1st, 2020. Do I need to pay to upgrade to Pianoteq 7?

Thanks!

They haven't updated the FAQ yet but in the existing FAQ it still says:
"I purchased my Pianoteq licence recently. Do I need to pay for the upgrade?
If you purchased your licence after 1 September 2016, the upgrade to version 6 is free. Download from the user area."

So have a look in the user area, I imagine you would get 7 FOC. If not contact support. I believe they give you any engine updates FOC if they happen within the same year as your license purchase.

Last edited by Key Fumbler (11-11-2020 01:06)

Magic - all of it. Great to see the energy of release day comments

Layering is going to be awesome for recording - even less reason to go open a DAW.

I'm using same piano, different mics with layer 1 close (player bubble), layer 2 further back (audience bubble) and layer 3 distant mic and high mix (reverb). Just mixing those variants' volume around can get incredibly good sonic possibilities without bothering with my old DAW templates for reverbs etc.

That's not even scratching the surface - for player bubble, adding hammer noise and bass thump and that kind of aesthetic.. adding or removing related things in audience bubble - and you can treat the reverb layer in so many ways (compress - make it extra wide within the mics panel).. utterly endless now. Feels like thousands of ideas to try out.

Adding some "Amp" grit (even very low 1 or 2%) on one of those layers can add a nice analog recording desk feel (seems better than in past running it just on the only layer).

All other improvements and morphing - ah. It will take a long time to get all the ideas in mind for new piano combinations and split instrument setups.. overlapping in layers.. or.. lots to work with.

On top of it all though, the new improvements to the engine itself bringing so much more vitality to the pianos. Pianoteq stuns with its improved realism.

Philippe is a complete genius and everyone at Modartt should be feeling incredibly proud today.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Since this post is my fifth (5th) recent one, I suppose you can tell obviously I'm experiencing a bit of some excitement!

Just did a few glissandos er glissandi on HB Steinway D Jazz (ver.7) compared to some performed from Steinway D Jazz (ver. 6).  The current version allows them played more easily, and with much more contrast resulting from a fuller and more pronounced body!  Additionally, physical model improvements appear to come with greater efficiency on an engine resource, since I can now lower its Audio buffer size without it incurring normally crackles and spikes. 

Have to admit, the touch of my old keyboard does seem a lot better connected now.  It seems more responsive.  Man, I get a better performance overall from the engine.

When I'm doing an A/B of NY Steinway D Jazz and HB Steinway D Jazz in a comparison of both but without any EQ3, while the NY Steinway sounds like pianos used in American jazz sessions and which have been recorded stateside, the HB Steinway sounds similar to pianos from concerts which American jazz musicians had given while on European tours.

(Well, shut my mouth I shall right before I ever bite down upon my EWI mouthpiece and combine modeled horns, modeled drums and a modeled American piano believe you me to produce highly technically involved jazz music!)

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (11-11-2020 03:33)

dazric wrote:

Absolutely!

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Will this run on the new MacBooks with ARM M1 processors?

The promotional video for pianoteq 7 and the new features, it's very good, nice look, with quality CGI.

Well done Modartt !

Beto-Music wrote:

The promotional video for pianoteq 7 and the new features, it's very good, nice look, with quality CGI.

Well done Modartt !

Absolutely agree, love seeing the pianos morphing lower right - didn't notice first time - gotta love that super eye-sight of yours Beto! and Piet's superb "Room 251" music hits it out of the park.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:
hornet900 wrote:

You go to VELOCITY where you can now select Global velocity curves (applied to ALL presets).

While on a default preset if you check mark Enable global velocity curves and afterwards load your custom curve, your curve should appear on any subsequent preset you load.

Added to a row of Calibration and Reset buttons is a G button.  That you use to engage and disengage your global calibration (VELOCITY) on any current preset.

THANK YOU!!!!

I haven't got a chance to play with V7 yet,
but I wonder if there are performance improvements too.
Especially regarding the arm version.
Did anyone notice?