Topic: Unwanted effect (possible bug) using Celeste pedal with felt presets

I discover that if you use Celeste pedal with any felt preset , it somehow cancels the felt effect and the resulting sounds is clearer and louder. Not a major issue as there is no real reason to use the celeste pedal which has felt on a model that already simulate felt, but the behaviour is unexpected.

Last edited by Pianistically (14-04-2024 14:42)

Re: Unwanted effect (possible bug) using Celeste pedal with felt presets

Pianistically wrote:

I discover that if you use Celeste pedal with any felt preset , it somehow cancels the felt effect and the resulting sounds is clearer and louder. Not a major issue as there is no real reason to use the celeste pedal which has felt on a model that already simulate felt, but the behaviour is unexpected.

Right-click on the pedal assigned to "Celeste Pedal." Uncheck (click) "reverse the celeste pedal." Then try again. For the felt piano presets, the celeste pedal is engaged when the pedal is not depressed, by default. This is a convenience so that if that Pianoteq pedal is assigned by MIDI to a physical pedal, that physical pedal does not need to be continuously depressed in order to obtain and maintain the muted sound.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (15-04-2024 12:42)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Ah, I just typed this below bunch of words out - Stephen is absolutely right - and gets to the point better than I usually do

Maybe I'll post still.. there may be some reasoning buried in there which some might read and think "Oh, I see why" or something.. but sincerely glad to see you Stephen with a fine and fast answer. I often wish I could just say things so well without the feeling of requiring more words. What I had prepared..

---->

This is because with regards to "Felt" presets, as I understand it.. 

the "Celeste pedal" is already engaged.. the idea is for it to be 'set and forget' on the unused 4th pedal on the interface, leaving user's own hardware pedals for user-tweaks with other pedals..

The 2nd pedal from the left, out of the 4 on the front panel, is usually unused, however it is set to "Reverse the Celeste pedal" via a checkbox you could un-check if you choose to. That will instantly remove it's effect. With 'reversed' selected, when you depress the pedal, it will alleviate the strings of any dampening.

On the Felt piano presets, any Celeste pedal a user chooses is automatically going to load, with that 'reversed' setting 'ON'.

It saves time for users 'tweaking' these felt presets.. to overcome people loading on another Celeste and getting 'the opposite' behaviour... I honestly do not know which would be the least confusing.. but once you notice the 'felt pianos' have that certain behaviour, it seems OK. The problem is, for the Celeste pedal effect to be 'on'.. its pedal must be depressed - so it needs to be zero down and reversed.. just less glitchy than saying to users "You press this pedal down all day long on felt pianos to get the effect"

On a typical 3 pedal setup, that felted variant of the celeste pedal is un-used pedal normally. That way, users can do other things with their usual 2 or 3 hardware pedals..

But, for sure, turn it off, or replace it on one of the 3 pedals you use - and for certain, try out different felt thicknesses (right-clicking one of the 4 pedals on the front interface reveals options like that, and also 'set it to anything between 0 and 100% on - so that even if you don't touch the pedal, you can have it slightly or fully engaged.)

For fun, if you right-click and alter for example, your middle pedal and change it to Celeste, you'd see both pedals move up and down, but hear no difference, as 2 x Celeste pedals is not doubling (or enhancing anything).. just becoming a 2nd control point for the singular sound. It's probably simpler however to just avoid running 2 of any 'same pedals' for any MIDI work.. both for simplicity's sake - but also for avoiding later memory induced time-sinks (it can though be fun to work through old Pianoteq preset tweaks to see "Why was I trying that at the time?"... but probably very few useful reasons for 2 of the same 'controls' set to 'on' since they unify, rather than act separately anyway.)

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Qexl wrote:

Ah, I just typed this below bunch of words out - Stephen is absolutely right - and gets to the point better than I usually do

Maybe I'll post still.. there may be some reasoning buried in there which some might read and think "Oh, I see why" or something.. but sincerely glad to see you Stephen with a fine and fast answer. I often wish I could just say things so well without the feeling of requiring more words. What I had prepared..

---->

This is because with regards to "Felt" presets, as I understand it.. 

the "Celeste pedal" is already engaged.. the idea is for it to be 'set and forget' on the unused 4th pedal on the interface, leaving user's own hardware pedals for user-tweaks with other pedals..

The 2nd pedal from the left, out of the 4 on the front panel, is usually unused, however it is set to "Reverse the Celeste pedal" via a checkbox you could un-check if you choose to. That will instantly remove it's effect. With 'reversed' selected, when you depress the pedal, it will alleviate the strings of any dampening.

On the Felt piano presets, any Celeste pedal a user chooses is automatically going to load, with that 'reversed' setting 'ON'.

It saves time for users 'tweaking' these felt presets.. to overcome people loading on another Celeste and getting 'the opposite' behaviour... I honestly do not know which would be the least confusing.. but once you notice the 'felt pianos' have that certain behaviour, it seems OK. The problem is, for the Celeste pedal effect to be 'on'.. its pedal must be depressed - so it needs to be zero down and reversed.. just less glitchy than saying to users "You press this pedal down all day long on felt pianos to get the effect"

On a typical 3 pedal setup, that felted variant of the celeste pedal is un-used pedal normally. That way, users can do other things with their usual 2 or 3 hardware pedals..

But, for sure, turn it off, or replace it on one of the 3 pedals you use - and for certain, try out different felt thicknesses (right-clicking one of the 4 pedals on the front interface reveals options like that, and also 'set it to anything between 0 and 100% on - so that even if you don't touch the pedal, you can have it slightly or fully engaged.)

For fun, if you right-click and alter for example, your middle pedal and change it to Celeste, you'd see both pedals move up and down, but hear no difference, as 2 x Celeste pedals is not doubling (or enhancing anything).. just becoming a 2nd control point for the singular sound. It's probably simpler however to just avoid running 2 of any 'same pedals' for any MIDI work.. both for simplicity's sake - but also for avoiding later memory induced time-sinks (it can though be fun to work through old Pianoteq preset tweaks to see "Why was I trying that at the time?"... but probably very few useful reasons for 2 of the same 'controls' set to 'on' since they unify, rather than act separately anyway.)

thanks to you and Stephan. It makes sense. I though that the felt effect was included in the specific preset of the felt models and the Celeste pedal would accentuate the effect , but that’s not case . So once you know it , that’s fine . You can actually use the ´behaviour’ of the Celeste pedal to undo partially the effect of the preset felt by undoing the quantity of felt applied .