Topic: How to get Honky Tonk effect

Does anyone know what are the settings that give this effect?  I'd like to get a bit more "tonk" than the  HB Steinway D Honky Tonk but less than the "Super Tonk" version.  I'd also like to experiment with using Honky Tonk with other pianos.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Re: How to get Honky Tonk effect

eheilner wrote:

Does anyone know what are the settings that give this effect?  I'd like to get a bit more "tonk" than the  HB Steinway D Honky Tonk but less than the "Super Tonk" version.  I'd also like to experiment with using Honky Tonk with other pianos.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hello eheilner,

”I'd also like to experiment with using Honky Tonk with other pianos”.

I have been using Honky Tonk in Pianoteq U4, upright, preset. Tthis one is different from Steinway honky tonk, partly of course because it is an upright piano. I like this honky, but It depends on different musical taste and what exactly we need….

Just wanted to give an example I made already in 2019.
Hope you enjoy and give it a smile… 

https://youtu.be/Hz3X6JAN1qI

Best wishes,

Stig

Try to use the Mint slider to the right and also the unison width using different pianos.

eheilner wrote:

I'd like to get a bit more "tonk" than the  HB Steinway D Honky Tonk but less than the "Super Tonk" version.

This isn’t an answer to your main question — but as a quick way to get what you described, you could create a Morph between the two and see if somewhere in between works for you.

Note that if the tuning shift bothers you, you can move the slider all the way to the Honky Tonk position, then click the Freeze button and put a check mark beside Tuning: Diapason; then the pitch center won’t shift.

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

Try to use the Mint slider to the right and also the unison width using different pianos.

I agree with this suggestion. Also your video made me smile, so thanks!

Soundblaster ZXR, ASIO4ALL. 96khz, ~2ms buffer. Little to no pop/crackle on Realtime priority.
I have posted several times about tweaking Pianoteq

bani223 wrote:
Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

I agree with this suggestion. Also your video made me smile, so thanks!

Thank you bani223.
It’s so rewarding to hear, that my music give amusement and is enjoyable.

Best wishes,

Stig

Thanks to everyone for the help.   Unison width is the key parameter to get the effect.  I wouldn't have guessed that