Topic: A Night In Tunisia (Pianoteq)

here's one of the classic warhorses from the book, "A Night In Tunisia." certainly it counts as one of the most played tunes in the book ... everybody does it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpomlvX-09U

Re: A Night In Tunisia (Pianoteq)

Hi budo, what a wonderful way to relax after a long week, to sit back and listen to your Friday performance, thanks for keeping to your tradition!  Great stuff here, love the frequent change in rhythm and mood here. Great stuff!

Ken

budo wrote:

here's one of the classic warhorses from the book, "A Night In Tunisia." certainly it counts as one of the most played tunes in the book ... everybody does it!

Amazing music, just outstanding ! So well played! Thank you budo.

I think I can hear a complex ”ostinato” in bass line on A section?  ( I used often ostinato comp on xylophones with children in school to simple songs).

Anyway, the oscillating half-step-up/half-step-down chord changes (interesting) gives the music a mysterious feeling, a magical power to attract the beauty of the music.

I read somewhere that the B section is notable for having an unresolved minor II-V, since the chord progression of the B section is taken from the B section of the standard "Alone Together", ( you played 7.01. -23 ) causing the V chord to lead back into the Sub V of the A section….”

Well, too much for me….  don’t understand…  probably it's better to just listen, play, enjoy and maybe read a little less

Best wishes,

Stig

kencarlino wrote:

Hi budo, what a wonderful way to relax after a long week, to sit back and listen to your Friday performance, thanks for keeping to your tradition!  Great stuff here, love the frequent change in rhythm and mood here. Great stuff!

Ken

thank you so much!  i'm glad the mood changes weren't too out there

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:
budo wrote:

Amazing music, just outstanding ! So well played! Thank you budo.

I think I can hear a complex ”ostinato” in bass line on A section?  ( I used often ostinato comp on xylophones with children in school to simple songs).

Anyway, the oscillating half-step-up/half-step-down chord changes (interesting) gives the music a mysterious feeling, a magical power to attract the beauty of the music.

I read somewhere that the B section is notable for having an unresolved minor II-V, since the chord progression of the B section is taken from the B section of the standard "Alone Together", ( you played 7.01. -23 ) causing the V chord to lead back into the Sub V of the A section….”

Well, too much for me….  don’t understand…  probably it's better to just listen, play, enjoy and maybe read a little less

Best wishes,

Stig

thank you so much for listening and your analysis   yes the bass line (ostinato) is one of the most famous in all of jazz, you can see it at the beginning of the chart.  i don't think i'm doing it exactly like the original, but if one doesn't do something like this definitely listeners won't have their expectations met.  i didn't know that about the bridge but certainly it's true.  that's a very common kind of bridge, for instance it was also used in Lullaby of Birdland.