Topic: Both sounds (pianoteq's and on board's) come out of my piano speakers

Hello forum!!!
I have this problem and I hope someone kind enough of you can help me out:
I have a laptop with the Pianoteq 6 trial connected through USB A-B cable  (with Steinberg Asio USB driver) to my Yamaha CSP-170 (to USB device to host port).
Everything is perfect but I hear both pianoteq's and Yamaha's sounds from my piano speakers. I can't mute my Yamaha. Can anyone help me?
I want to hear ONLY Pianoteq through my piano's speakers. When I try another free piano from windows, it does mute my Yamaha's sound automatically and I hear only the windows piano perfectly!!!! Pianoteq don't do that. And I've searched Pianoteq's interface to do it manually, but there is no option. PLEASE HELP!

Re: Both sounds (pianoteq's and on board's) come out of my piano speakers

Heya hornet900,

Try this Yamaha keyboard local control info, to see if that is something you can try with your CSP-170.

Not sure if your Yamaha model does this exactly like others (couldn't find it) - but it could have a "Local Off" - or "Local Control" type setting in it's menu somewhere.

Having "Local control" set "On" means the Yamaha will produce audio.

Having "Local control" set "Off" means the Yamaha will not produce it's own audio.

It's not a Pianoteq thing - but a very old MIDI convenience - but in a perfect world, I think all dpiano keyboards should arrive standard with both a panic button and a local control toggle.

My Kawai MP11 has a simple hardware button "Local Off" - it just turns off any audio which might transmit via USB or speakers - very handy and I like this more than making a detour into keyboard settings to do the same.

Cheers.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Thank you so much for your reply!!! You helped me with the words "LOCAL CONTROL" because I didn't know how to say my problem. So I searched and I found that my CSP-170 does NOT has a local control. Other Yamaha pianos have. So I need to find a software way to do it from my pc.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads....l-off.html

Good find there Platypus!

You're welcome hornet900. Hope you can fix your situation with the info in that link.. there's a link in that Piano World forum thread to all the CSP MIDI info PDF document - put that here too for convenience - best of luck to you.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Thank you both. But it is so bizarre to have to write midi code for a so simple function. You know that I download free windows VSTs and they do the job automatically? Piano 10, Midi keyboard, etc. They just replace my piano sound with their sounds. Also the other topic's Yamaha's advice is wrong because you can't connect smart pianist (ios) and pc at the same time. And if I do by changng usb cables, if I mute the smart pianist, all VSTs go muted... I need a small free DAW to do the job...

Last edited by hornet900 (11-06-2020 00:57)

Interesting stuff, thanks for that extra info, esp. regarding other VSTs somehow seeming to switch local control to off, if that's what they're technically doing.

But that makes me wonder if it's possible to implement such a function in Pianoteq? (in settings.. check box "MIDI local control on", since OFF might be the more likely desired default state, users only occasionally wanting it on)..

(hoping you are finding this thread @julien?)

"MIDI Local Off is not an option that can be selected on the piano currently, however if you are using the Smart Pianist app to control the piano then you can always turn the volume of the Main Voice down on the Balance screen which will give you the same effect."

Found on the Piano world forum.

Thank you for your suggestion. Thank you all of you trying to help me out. But turning down the volume in Smart Pianist is NOT the same as LOCAL CONTROL = OFF. Also it is impossible to connect PC and iOS together through the dedicated USB ports. My CSP-170 has 2 USB ports for each host (type A and lightning type B), but, as the manual also mentions, they can't function both. I NEED A WINDOWS SOFTWARE SOLUTION !!! It must be a free program who does that simply function!!!

hornet900 wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion. Thank you all of you trying to help me out. But turning down the volume in Smart Pianist is NOT the same as LOCAL CONTROL = OFF. Also it is impossible to connect PC and iOS together through the dedicated USB ports. My CSP-170 has 2 USB ports for each host (type A and lightning type B), but, as the manual also mentions, they can't function both. I NEED A WINDOWS SOFTWARE SOLUTION !!! It must be a free program who does that simply function!!!

Why do expect to find a "Windows software solution" ?

. . . The problem is, that the DP doesn't have a "Local Control = Off" setting;

. . . Nothing that  Windows can do, will fix that.

I assume that you're feeding the audio from Pianoteq, back to the DP's loudspeakers,

. . . and that if you turn the volume on the DP _all the way down_,
. . . that affects the volume of Pianoteq through the DP's loudspeakers.

If you were using a pair of powered loudspeakers, connected to the PC's Pianoteq output,

. . . you could just set the volume of the DP to "0", and that would solve your problem.

The volume that Pianoteq delivers is set _within Pianoteq_.  The DP's volume control does _not_ change the "MIDI velocity" that the DP sends to Pianoteq.

(I'm sorry if I'm explaining things that you already know.)

.    Charles

All keyboards and DPs with MIDI ports and USB have local control. But my DP just hasn't the swift. So I searched to find a software switch. And I found a good solution: I downloaded a free DAW. The Cakewalk. When this DAW starts, the first thing it does, is to send a command local control off to any keyboard connected. Then I just run pianoteq and... done!!!! You see, if you have a DP with 180 watts sound system, it is a pity to buy speakers, external sound card etc .. Thank you all for your suggestions!!!! Incredible forum!!!

hornet900 wrote:

. . .  And I found a good solution: I downloaded a free DAW. The Cakewalk. When this DAW starts, the first thing it does, is to send a command local control off to any keyboard connected. Then I just run pianoteq and... done!!!! . . .

NEAT!  Congratulations on that software find!

.   Charles

hornet900 wrote:

All keyboards and DPs with MIDI ports and USB have local control. But my DP just hasn't the swift. So I searched to find a software switch. And I found a good solution: I downloaded a free DAW. The Cakewalk. When this DAW starts, the first thing it does, is to send a command local control off to any keyboard connected. Then I just run pianoteq and... done!!!! You see, if you have a DP with 180 watts sound system, it is a pity to buy speakers, external sound card etc .. Thank you all for your suggestions!!!! Incredible forum!!!

Congratulations!   I jsut got a yamaha csp-150 (currently on sale) and wanted to try pianoteq app on iPad.     Have you tried pianoteq on iOS with your csp-170?

Yes! It's much more easier. You open the smart pianist first, and you choose voice. There, at the voice settings, turn the volume all down. Complete off. Then you close the smart pianist and then you open pianoteq. You can hear pianoteq from your piano speakers. Sounds great. Congratulations for you new piano.

Last edited by hornet900 (19-03-2024 18:42)

hornet900 wrote:

Yes! It's much more easier. You open the smart pianist first, and you choose voice. There, at the voice settings, turn the volume all down. Complete off. Then you close the smart pianist and then you open pianoteq. You can hear pianoteq from your piano speakers. Sounds great. Congratulations for you new piano.

Thanks for your reply.  Yep.  I just figured it out like that this morning.  I didn't even use a usb-A to 3.5mm cable (aux in).  I just use the normal cable for yamaha pianista app (usb-c to usb-b).  It works well.   The sounds are better!  More like an acoustic piano, particularly after I tune the velocity a little bit.

Have you tried to use pianoteq app without any cable (e.g.,  use bluetooth midi to send audio to piano speakers)?     once I unplug the cable,  the pianoteq sound is coming out from my iPad speakers.

I am happy for you. You'll enjoy pianoteq's physical modeling through your Yamaha's CSP quality amp and speakers. I would also advise you to lower the pianoteq's volume to -8.

About wireless connection, yes I've tried it, but only for smart pianist voices and recordings. It works perfect. But I haven't tried it with pianoteq. CSP's USB type a import, is for ipad only, and it's USB "audio in" also. That's why the latency is so low. That's why, any sounds from the ipad will go through the CSP's speakers (other pianos like korg module, Ravenscroft, pure piano and also tomplay, youtube backing tracks etc. But wireless... I don't know. I think it won't happen.

hornet900 wrote:

I am happy for you. You'll enjoy pianoteq's physical modeling through your Yamaha's CSP quality amp and speakers. I would also advise you to lower the pianoteq's volume to -8.

About wireless connection, yes I've tried it, but only for smart pianist voices and recordings. It works perfect. But I haven't tried it with pianoteq. CSP's USB type a import, is for ipad only, and it's USB "audio in" also. That's why the latency is so low. That's why, any sounds from the ipad will go through the CSP's speakers (other pianos like korg module, Ravenscroft, pure piano and also tomplay, youtube backing tracks etc. But wireless... I don't know. I think it won't happen.

Thanks.  I like the new sound a lot.  Even my wife hear the difference and she thinks the new sound is better.   I just visited a friend last weekend, who has a higher-end acoustic piano Yamaha U1.    I think my csp150 sound quality and style are now at the similar level.

I wish I could get a CSP170 (four speakers, rather than two speakers in CSP150), which is what I wanted to buy.    CSP170 was out of stock in the store I went. The store  called other stores and still out of stock.   For some reason, my mind was unclear and thinking that CSP 170 is out of stock everywhere.   Then the store gave me a deal on CSP150, the last one they have...     Later I found one available CSP170 on a different website, but my CSP150 has passed the period for return...     

Also thanks for the great suggestion on pianoteq's volume.  I turned it up yesterday so that I don't need to turn up the iPad's volume.  I turned it back to -8 now,  the sound seems more clear!