Topic: Binaural vs. Player (Clean or Wide) with open back headphones

Hi,

I use open back headphones with Pianoteq, and would like to simulate the sound as if I am actually sitting at the keyboard. In the Grand Steinway D (Hamburg) for example, should I select the "Binaural", "Player Clean", or "Player Wide" preset? I've read that closed back headphones are better for binaural beats; I'm not sure what the binaural setting in Pianoteq is trying to simulate.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Re: Binaural vs. Player (Clean or Wide) with open back headphones

KeyboardSideAudienceLeft wrote:

Hi,

I use open back headphones with Pianoteq, and would like to simulate the sound as if I am actually sitting at the keyboard. In the Grand Steinway D (Hamburg) for example, should I select the "Binaural", "Player Clean", or "Player Wide" preset? I've read that closed back headphones are better for binaural beats; I'm not sure what the binaural setting in Pianoteq is trying to simulate.

What sounds better to you?

Hi,

My understanding is the main difference with binaural vs microphone setting is that in Binaural the model integrate the head of the pianist in the model, instead of air , hence the ability to adjust the head size to refine the model . On the other side , player wide , clean and other options refer to microphones who have been positioned to optimise sound for the player , not the audience , independently of any binaural effect . Again that’s my understanding and would need to be amended by Modartt support if this is incorrect .

dikrek wrote:

Hi,

What sounds better to you?

LOL I guess what you're saying is that I'm overthinking things, which I tend to do. Player Clean and Binaural sound great to me, but Player Wide sounds a bit washed out. I think I will experiment to optimize Binaural settings, and maybe invest in a pair of closed-back headphones.