Topic: Damper Pedal on the Harp

Hi Everyone, 

I've only just discovered Pianoteq, dowloaded the trail version, and am absolutely astounded by the realism and beauty of many of these instruments.  What an achievement!

I do have a question about the Harp, though:  When playing the harp on my Midi keyboard and trying to sustain the sound further by using the damper pedal (as on a piano), pressing the pedal actually does the exact opposite -- it stops the sound abruptly, not sustains it. 

I've never actually played a real harp, so I don't know whether this is the natural way that harps work, or whether the trail version is missing the sustain pedal feature of the purchased version.   Or if somehow, my set-up is messed up -- although the pedals on the piano patches seem to work flawlessly.

Many thanks in advance if anyone might be able to answer!

All the best -

Paul

Re: Damper Pedal on the Harp

PabloD wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

I've only just discovered Pianoteq, dowloaded the trail version, and am absolutely astounded by the realism and beauty of many of these instruments.  What an achievement!

I do have a question about the Harp, though:  When playing the harp on my Midi keyboard and trying to sustain the sound further by using the damper pedal (as on a piano), pressing the pedal actually does the exact opposite -- it stops the sound abruptly, not sustains it. 

I've never actually played a real harp, so I don't know whether this is the natural way that harps work, or whether the trail version is missing the sustain pedal feature of the purchased version.   Or if somehow, my set-up is messed up -- although the pedals on the piano patches seem to work flawlessly.

Many thanks in advance if anyone might be able to answer!

All the best -

Paul

Hi Paul,
I think you already understand this.

As you might imagine the open strings of a harp being plucked and damped with the hands simply ring out unless damped. Therefore the damper/sustain pedal here in the virtual version is used to dampen the sound rather than the reverse situation within a piano where the automatically damped strings are allowed to ring on by the mechanical action of lifting the dampers by applying sustain pedal.

I don't actually have the harps but I've made plucked harp like instruments from within Pianoteq using piano and Clavinet models. Pianoteq is great at that sort of thing.

Harp damping technique:
https://youtu.be/DO7iZDrkz38?feature=shared

Last edited by Key Fumbler (31-12-2023 09:18)

Hey Key Fumbler,

Thank you for the speedy reply.  Yes, this makes sense; I should have given that one more thought.  :-)

I think what threw me is that the sustain isn't very pronounced on the open strings -- at least on my set-up -- so I almost missed it altogether.  But again, I've only just discovered Pianoteq, so I think I'd really better sit down and read the manual before posting more messages!   Perhaps there is a way to increase the sustain to be more pronounced and full . . . But wow, I didn't realize that you could actually make composite instruments from within Pianoteq itself - that's amazing!

Thanks so much again for your reply.  Have a wonderful New Year!

In fact you could change this: simply use the preset "concert harp à la piano".

Luc Henrion wrote:

Oh that is fantastic - thank you so much!!

PabloD wrote:
Luc Henrion wrote:

Oh that is fantastic - thank you so much!!

Modartt is fantastic ! ;-)

Luc Henrion wrote:

Yes, I'm beginning to see that.  I'm astounded by the clarity and beauty of these instruments; somehow they even "feel" real!  :-)

PabloD wrote:
Luc Henrion wrote:

Yes, I'm beginning to see that.  I'm astounded by the clarity and beauty of these instruments; somehow they even "feel" real!  :-)

Honestly, I was recording a harp CD a while ago and when I played a few notes for the harpist (a very good harpist...), - playing her own score...- she was afraid of the realism of what she was hearing... Disturbing, in fact.

Wikipedia describes the functions of the multiple pedals on a real harp (not for damping/sustain).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedal_h...he%20neck.

A Wikipedia Editor on concert harp pedals wrote:

"The mechanical action of the pedals changes the pitches of the strings. The seven pedals each affect the tuning of all strings of one pitch-class. The pedals, from left to right, are D, C, B on the left side and E, F, G, A on the right. Each pedal attaches to a rod or cable in the column of the harp, which connects to a mechanism in the neck. When the player presses a pedal, small discs at the top of the harp rotate. The discs are studded with two pegs that pinch the string as they turn, shortening its vibrating length. In each position the pedal can be secured in a notch so the foot does not have to continuously hold it in position (unlike piano pedals)."

Last edited by Key Fumbler (16-03-2024 20:31)