Topic: windows 11

Hi all
Just got new windows 11 PC.  No problem with pianoteq program.  But my Casio PX780 is not connecting.  With the old PC under Active MIDI inputs CASIO USB-MIDI would appear, now all that appears is "Listen to all MIDI inputs."  In the device manager I get "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor request failed)".  Anybody else experience anything similar?  Any suggestions?

Re: windows 11

billd wrote:

Hi all
Just got new windows 11 PC.  No problem with pianoteq program.  But my Casio PX780 is not connecting.  With the old PC under Active MIDI inputs CASIO USB-MIDI would appear, now all that appears is "Listen to all MIDI inputs."  In the device manager I get "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor request failed)".  Anybody else experience anything similar?  Any suggestions?

Try plugging it back in after Windows 11 has fully booted up. Perhaps it is some kind of USB initialisation error?

I mentioned this because I had this happen when I first built my windows 11 PC. After a few weeks an update seemed to have cured this all by itself and I no longer had to go through the rigmarole of plugging a MIDI device in after Windows had started. It wasn't the keyboard, it was a wind controller but the principle is the same - just a startup initialisation issue.

I tried this.  Unfortunately it did not work.  Thanks for your response.

Key Fumbler wrote:
billd wrote:

Hi all

Try plugging it back in after Windows 11 has fully booted up. Perhaps it is some kind of USB initialisation error?

I mentioned this because I had this happen when I first built my windows 11 PC. After a few weeks an update seemed to have cured this all by itself and I no longer had to go through the rigmarole of plugging a MIDI device in after Windows had started. It wasn't the keyboard, it was a wind controller but the principle is the same - just a startup initialisation issue.

billd wrote:

Hi all

Check the Casio site for any firmware or driver updates

billd wrote:

Do you have any other midi controllers?

Also do you have any spare USB cables to test?
You could possibly have one the same for a printer for instance.

Is the input working for other devices of any kind?

I've contacted casio and am working with them to hopefully find a solution.  Thank you for your response.

dikrek wrote:
billd wrote:

Hi all

Check the Casio site for any firmware or driver updates

Unfortunately I do not have any other controllers,  I will definitely check the cable, but will have to get a new one.  Other devices are working fine.  Thanks for your response.

Key Fumbler wrote:
billd wrote:

billd wrote:

Unfortunately I do not have any other controllers,  I will definitely check the cable, but will have to get a new one.  Other devices are working fine.  Thanks for your response.

Key Fumbler wrote:
billd wrote:

An excuse to extend your rig..

You could pick up a cheap second midi controller, plonk that down on top of the Casio, or near it. Nice to be able to play two different sounds at the same time - it's built into Pianoteq these days!
With channels 1-2 using the same sustain pedal if you like. Just a cheap synth action would fit the bill.

Is it always the simplest things. I ordered a new USB cable, just tried it and it works.  Thanks again to all who responded.

Key Fumbler wrote:
billd wrote:

billd wrote:

Is it always the simplest things. I ordered a new USB cable, just tried it and it works.  Thanks again to all who responded.

Key Fumbler wrote:
billd wrote:

Glad that solved it.

It's worth having a few spare cables while they are still a common standard and nice and cheap.

Last edited by Key Fumbler (13-03-2024 14:43)

A technician friend of mine always tells me that 90% of breakdowns are due to cable problems, the remaining 10% to connectors. ;-)