Topic: Reverb recomendation from profesional producers?

Hi guys, are there any commercially successful and professional producers here?

Do you think Pianoteq's internal reverb is enough for a piano music track's commercial release?

I have a goal of arranging some pop songs into piano solo versions and releasing them on the streaming platforms, however, I bounce tested and listened back to my demo track using internal reverb, I realized that reverb is so crucial for a piano music's quality, guess the third-party reverb could be better in achieving general result.

If you think the same or you have better experience in producing piano music with third-party reverb, could you please recommend the product names of some not too expensive but good to use reverb? Thanks!

Last edited by Jon S (12-03-2024 07:14)

Re: Reverb recomendation from profesional producers?

Given that it is a convolution reverb, nothing prevents you to use other impulses, that's my way of work in any case. It could make a big difference. There are many impulses available on the web incuding very good free ones.

The main reason to use external reverbs is actually to blend the sound with other instruments in a cohesive soundstage.

By all means experiment with different reverbs and combinations therein,  other impulse responses, algorithmic reverbs and so on.  It's not so much about getting something more realistic, so much as getting a sound that is particularly appealing to you and your listeners.

I suggest there is no magic sauce that will apply in all cases.

Don't forget to look at third party delays too, and possibly more important how you manage the virtual microphone positioning and any EQ.

As long as it’s coded well, a convolution reverb will only sound as good as the impulses loaded into it.

You could take a look at an algorithm based reverb, where you’ll get a lot more control over the reverb’s characteristics.
Fabfilter’s Pro-R 2 has a free 30 day trial available and sounds beautiful.
Put a little bit of studio room sound around the piano in Pianoteq’s convolution reverb then add the production drama with Pro-R.

It’s well worth a try for free and has a fantastic, easy to approach, interface and the price is very fair for that level quality.

Last edited by Topher (12-03-2024 12:15)

Topher wrote:

As long as it’s coded well, a convolution reverb will only sound as good as the impulses loaded into it.

You could take a look at an algorithm based reverb, where you’ll get a lot more control over the reverb’s characteristics.
Fabfilter’s Pro-R 2 has a free 30 day trial available and sounds beautiful.
Put a little bit of studio room sound around the piano in Pianoteq’s convolution reverb then add the production drama with Pro-R.

It’s well worth a try for free and has a fantastic, easy to approach, interface and the price is very fair for that level quality.

Thank you for your idea, yes more layers of reverb more taste in the music.

Topher wrote:

Why are you giving away my tricks for free?

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)