Topic: Challenge: who’s able to make a preset like the one used in this video

https://youtu.be/bUF3Fvk4xJM?si=_sw6QMELJleRzB71

Re: Challenge: who’s able to make a preset like the one used in this video

I liked the tone of the piano, I also liked performance and the piece.

I suggest you make your own close mic big reverb floaty piano sounds - you could probably get in the ballpark. Trying to replicate this exact one (or any other for that matter) is a tough call.

Ludovico Einaudi sounds seems to be a popular ask here.
There are articles on how he sets up his recordings, maybe start there.

Key Fumbler wrote:

I suggest you make your own close mic big reverb floaty piano sounds - you could probably get in the ballpark. Trying to replicate this exact one (or any other for that matter) is a tough call.

Thanks. unfortunately I’m not an expert with Pianoteq and sound engineering.

Wotl wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:

You do not need to be an expert in the real thing. Moving the virtual microphones about in Standard is easy enough. I'm sure the wealth of fine adjustments possible in Pro are not going to be so beginner friendly though. I know plenty of older folks could even get lost in the FX options in Stage.

If you want users to create a preset to get somewhere in the ballpark of a sound you like, or find one that's already in the fxp section for you then you will need at least Pianoteq Standard to load those custom presets.

That said with so many factory presets and a fair bit of adjustability from the sound quality perspective you could certainly get in the ballpark even with the stage version. It depends on how exacting you are.

Anyone wanting to stick with just Stage should have the Steinway D double pack, for its ubiquitous sound and substantial collection of factory presets.

Last edited by Key Fumbler (02-03-2024 10:04)

Wotl,

KF is right here and the most satisfying use of PT in this circumstance is making the custom preset yourself. To be blunt, reaching out to the PT community as a whole and declaring a very specific group challenge with no stakes for participants is unlikely to succeed. Of course I'm different. For example, I've tried your challenge a bit using my own not very popular bare bones Dynamic preset, and it's fun. (Also, I recently reached out to the community several times with no responses, so there's some empathy.) Here's a few words to maybe get you or other people started who are looking for a recipe. These are just guesses but warning anyway, POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD.

First, analysis. The video shows it to be Royal Grand 3D from Nord, possibly with some custom settings. That in itself makes it a challenge since no 2 pianos are quite the same. A quick Google shows the 3d was sampled from a Yamaha S6, a 7ft grand not modelled by a Pianoteq instrument, with a binaural dummy head in player position. It actually reminds me a bit of someone I follow on youtube who works with a complex mic set up for her Yamaha. So a perfect match is impossible and I'm not fully convinced a binaural mic in player position plus predefined reverb is sufficient to make the Nord instrument without additional close and external mics.

This is a lovely piano sound. To my ear there is a hint of delay and a big but detailed reverb applied to a bright (so a bit noisy) tone with a measured hammer sound. Its definitely worthy of imitation. That said, I am thinking this is also a compressed sound, minimizing outlier harmonics and defining quiet play more by giving it a soft Piano and Mezzo Hammer tone than by a full Dynamic range-- not 100% sure how that would translate PT. That plus the heavy effects makes this sound a lot like several of the PT presets, were you to apply such reverb/delay.

Second, find similar presets in Pianoteq. Clean tones that already have a regulated evenness are probably the best starting point. My Dynpiano NYSD preset is nice and colorful when played gently, but this 3d has a wide audience but my preset is enjoyed by exactly  me on my weird old Casio. As alternatives for people with other instruments, in PT 8.2 I like the Steingraeber e272, HB close classical, NYSD v80 under lid, James Farber, U4 tall. Others may work as well, those are just the first ones I found.

Third, do edits. I leave the mics where they are, turn on distance compensation for the close mics as well as delays (1 mic, 1fx), turn on the limiter, decrease direct sound to about .5. M and F hammers get softened, various noises get re-worked-- wow my Dynpiano has some underlying issues that only show at loud play-- and increase reverb duration to about 1.7, add a brilliant eq, with a flat bass response. Many volume and hammer changes later, I've got something resembling a souffle. Now we eat it.

But seriously, I'm not sure mine's ready for the concert, but the exercise is a good one and I thank you for the inspiration. I'll share it anyway if you'd like

Last edited by bani223 (03-03-2024 06:47)
Soundblaster ZXR, ASIO4ALL. 96khz, ~2ms buffer. Little to no pop/crackle on Realtime priority.
I have posted several times about tweaking Pianoteq

The sound seems to have a soft attack and a bit of a bell like quality. There is a preset on the Steingraeber and Steinway B called 'dreamy'. I would start there. I would also set the keyboard velocity to fast and maybe increase the dynamic range. There may also be a chorus effect -- worth trying anyhow. I think you want to find a similar "environment" first then select the piano for matching tonal quality. Then find a piano with similar tone and create the "dreamy" preset for it. Then play with the hammer hardness, mics, reverb etc. If you get something you like, please post it.

Last edited by levinite (03-03-2024 07:23)

Who’s able to make a preset like the one used in this video?

Of course, Wotl is!

Seriously while bani223 likely correctly identifies the sounds of a YAMAHA S6 sampled on the Royal Grand 3D from Nord, levinite seems to have suggested ‘a soft attack and a bit of a bell like quality’ was used primarily.

Well, I happen to agree with the both of them.

Namely in that but perhaps the sustained sound specifically of a bell from also a YAMAHA piano, indeed another YAMAHA an electric from YAMAHA comes that that uses FM synthesis possibly!

Though PIANOTEQ models neither the YAMAHA S6 nor any electric FM synth, it does however a YC5 and CP-80, both identified unofficially as coming from YAMAHA along with other various virtual electric pianos from other manufacturers.  (Which virtually have been included.)

Although if you just try to reproduce your targeted sound with only the YC5 and CP-80, that might result in one that’s very buzzy.

(That’s without the advantages of FM synthesis
probably needed.)

Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

In the notes from the video:

“My piano ▶ Nord Piano 5 used as midi controller with piano VSTs”

I have little to no experience on creating custom pianos

However maybe try this

K2 Dreamy: On the hammer hardness drop forte to .91

On reverb up MIX to 7.6 DB or to taste

EQ: try it as is or maybe the fat bass preset

Key Fumbler wrote:
Wotl wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:

You do not need to be an expert in the real thing. Moving the virtual microphones about in Standard is easy enough. I'm sure the wealth of fine adjustments possible in Pro are not going to be so beginner friendly though. I know plenty of older folks could even get lost in the FX options in Stage.

If you want users to create a preset to get somewhere in the ballpark of a sound you like, or find one that's already in the fxp section for you then you will need at least Pianoteq Standard to load those custom presets.

That said with so many factory presets and a fair bit of adjustability from the sound quality perspective you could certainly get in the ballpark even with the stage version. It depends on how exacting you are.

Anyone wanting to stick with just Stage should have the Steinway D double pack, for its ubiquitous sound and substantial collection of factory presets.

I have the Standard version. Thanks

bani223 wrote:

Wotl,

KF is right here and the most satisfying use of PT in this circumstance is making the custom preset yourself. To be blunt, reaching out to the PT community as a whole and declaring a very specific group challenge with no stakes for participants is unlikely to succeed. Of course I'm different. For example, I've tried your challenge a bit using my own not very popular bare bones Dynamic preset, and it's fun. (Also, I recently reached out to the community several times with no responses, so there's some empathy.) Here's a few words to maybe get you or other people started who are looking for a recipe. These are just guesses but warning anyway, POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD.

First, analysis. The video shows it to be Royal Grand 3D from Nord, possibly with some custom settings. That in itself makes it a challenge since no 2 pianos are quite the same. A quick Google shows the 3d was sampled from a Yamaha S6, a 7ft grand not modelled by a Pianoteq instrument, with a binaural dummy head in player position. It actually reminds me a bit of someone I follow on youtube who works with a complex mic set up for her Yamaha. So a perfect match is impossible and I'm not fully convinced a binaural mic in player position plus predefined reverb is sufficient to make the Nord instrument without additional close and external mics.

This is a lovely piano sound. To my ear there is a hint of delay and a big but detailed reverb applied to a bright (so a bit noisy) tone with a measured hammer sound. Its definitely worthy of imitation. That said, I am thinking this is also a compressed sound, minimizing outlier harmonics and defining quiet play more by giving it a soft Piano and Mezzo Hammer tone than by a full Dynamic range-- not 100% sure how that would translate PT. That plus the heavy effects makes this sound a lot like several of the PT presets, were you to apply such reverb/delay.

Second, find similar presets in Pianoteq. Clean tones that already have a regulated evenness are probably the best starting point. My Dynpiano NYSD preset is nice and colorful when played gently, but this 3d has a wide audience but my preset is enjoyed by exactly  me on my weird old Casio. As alternatives for people with other instruments, in PT 8.2 I like the Steingraeber e272, HB close classical, NYSD v80 under lid, James Farber, U4 tall. Others may work as well, those are just the first ones I found.

Third, do edits. I leave the mics where they are, turn on distance compensation for the close mics as well as delays (1 mic, 1fx), turn on the limiter, decrease direct sound to about .5. M and F hammers get softened, various noises get re-worked-- wow my Dynpiano has some underlying issues that only show at loud play-- and increase reverb duration to about 1.7, add a brilliant eq, with a flat bass response. Many volume and hammer changes later, I've got something resembling a souffle. Now we eat it.

But seriously, I'm not sure mine's ready for the concert, but the exercise is a good one and I thank you for the inspiration. I'll share it anyway if you'd like

Thank you so much for the 3 steps process. I learned a lot, thanks to you. I really love this Nord 3D grand piano. If you can share your trial, I'll appreciate.

levinite wrote:

The sound seems to have a soft attack and a bit of a bell like quality. There is a preset on the Steingraeber and Steinway B called 'dreamy'. I would start there. I would also set the keyboard velocity to fast and maybe increase the dynamic range. There may also be a chorus effect -- worth trying anyhow. I think you want to find a similar "environment" first then select the piano for matching tonal quality. Then find a piano with similar tone and create the "dreamy" preset for it. Then play with the hammer hardness, mics, reverb etc. If you get something you like, please post it.

Thanks for these input

Irmin wrote:

I have little to no experience on creating custom pianos

However maybe try this

K2 Dreamy: On the hammer hardness drop forte to .91

On reverb up MIX to 7.6 DB or to taste

EQ: try it as is or maybe the fat bass preset

Thanks I'll try that.

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

Who’s able to make a preset like the one used in this video?

Of course, Wotl is!

Seriously while bani223 likely correctly identifies the sounds of a YAMAHA S6 sampled on the Royal Grand 3D from Nord, levinite seems to have suggested ‘a soft attack and a bit of a bell like quality’ was used primarily.

Well, I happen to agree with the both of them.

Namely in that but perhaps the sustained sound specifically of a bell from also a YAMAHA piano, indeed another YAMAHA an electric from YAMAHA comes that that uses FM synthesis possibly!

Though PIANOTEQ models neither the YAMAHA S6 nor any electric FM synth, it does however a YC5 and CP-80, both identified unofficially as coming from YAMAHA along with other various virtual electric pianos from other manufacturers.  (Which virtually have been included.)

Although if you just try to reproduce your targeted sound with only the YC5 and CP-80, that might result in one that’s very buzzy.

(That’s without the advantages of FM synthesis
probably needed.)

Thanks

Wotl wrote:
bani223 wrote:

Wotl,

Thank you so much for the 3 steps process. I learned a lot, thanks to you. I really love this Nord 3D grand piano. If you can share your trial, I'll appreciate.

Hi, which preset did you use for your fpx as some keys are disable, so I think I don’t have all the pianos you used.

Wotl,

I'm glad sharing my process was interesting! I based it on the classic Pianoteq workshops. (As an add on to step 2/starting point factory preset recommendations, check any of the other modern concert grands. I think trying to make any of them sound like the 3D would take some work, but they all share many things about their sounds that could make them fit the descriptions above. )

Re: your question ; it may be that you don't have the proper product licenses. That would cause missing notes. That preset I made is for the NY SD. You'd need Steinway Model D instrument pack running in Pianoteq 8.2 I think either standard or pro. Check with product support for questions https://www.modartt.com/user_area especially about missing notes if you have paid for PT 8 and Steinway D already.

bani

Last edited by bani223 (06-03-2024 05:58)
Soundblaster ZXR, ASIO4ALL. 96khz, ~2ms buffer. Little to no pop/crackle on Realtime priority.
I have posted several times about tweaking Pianoteq

I notice that in the video (overhead shots) one can get a good guess at some of the settings just by looking at the angle the knobs are set to. Using the Nord 5 documentation one should be able to find what the knobs do. This might help with the "3d" sound.

bani223 wrote:

Wotl,

I'm glad sharing my process was interesting! I based it on the classic Pianoteq workshops. (As an add on to step 2/starting point factory preset recommendations, check any of the other modern concert grands. I think trying to make any of them sound like the 3D would take some work, but they all share many things about their sounds that could make them fit the descriptions above. )

Re: your question ; it may be that you don't have the proper product licenses. That would cause missing notes. That preset I made is for the NY SD. You'd need Steinway Model D instrument pack running in Pianoteq 8.2 I think either standard or pro. Check with product support for questions https://www.modartt.com/user_area especially about missing notes if you have paid for PT 8 and Steinway D already.

bani

Thanks. I confirm having 8.2 version and the Steinway D pianos.

levinite wrote:

I notice that in the video (overhead shots) one can get a good guess at some of the settings just by looking at the angle the knobs are set to. Using the Nord 5 documentation one should be able to find what the knobs do. This might help with the "3d" sound.

Very smart