Topic: presets

Hello
New user in love with the sounds. Are there any presets that are considered "cleanest, truest / least processed" for recording?
I am using
Steinway Model D
PETROF
Blüthner

Re: presets

I think the closest you get to that are the presets with just the piano name like Bluthner Model One, Petrof 284 Mistral and NY Steinway Model D.

I’d like there to be the Pianoteq equivalent of a synthesiser’s “initialised” patch, as starting points for creating your own presets.

Topher wrote:

I think the closest you get to that are the presets with just the piano name like Bluthner Model One, Petrof 284 Mistral and NY Steinway Model D.

I’d like there to be the Pianoteq equivalent of a synthesiser’s “initialised” patch, as starting points for creating your own presets.

I also think like you.
However, I don't understand why there are changes to these presets, such as: improvements to the Equalizer curve, EQ3 effects, variations in note volumes. Since they are the "physical model standard", why do there have to be changes? Shouldn't they be cleaned?

Last edited by Professor Leandro Duarte (27-02-2024 02:11)
Respeito, Esforço e Sabedoria

Professor Leandro Duarte wrote:

I also think like you.
However, I don't understand why there are changes to these presets, such as: improvements to the Equalizer curve, EQ3 effects, variations in note volumes. Since they are the "physical model standard", why do there have to be changes? Shouldn't they be cleaned?

Yes, some clean-slate, bare models would be appreciated.
I have even wondered if the presets include parameter changes made to aspects of the model not available within the user interface.

Topher wrote:
Professor Leandro Duarte wrote:

I also think like you.

Yes, some clean-slate, bare models would be appreciated.
I have even wondered if the presets include parameter changes made to aspects of the model not available within the user interface.

I do not think so. I believe that all presets are based on the same pattern of internal settings. However, the only person who can give a precise answer is the Modartt team.

Last edited by Professor Leandro Duarte (28-02-2024 19:13)

It is curious why there are so many differences in the "standard" preset. Perhaps the Pianoteq model must be tuned to pianos or even recordings of pianos in their original "uncontrolled" environments including all reverberations, microphone setups etc. An anechoic chamber may not be available for the tuning for various reasons.
What would be very useful is a set of presets we could define and apply to any instrument.

levinite wrote:

What would be very useful is a set of presets we could define and apply to any instrument.

I believe the procedure Mr. Guillaume outlined for applying custom preset settings to 'raw' 8.0 instrument files imported into 8.2 would accomplish this. Substituting "Neutral" for "old" and and "Factory" for "V80" in his original instructions you get:

- Load the Neutral preset in "A", and load any Factory preset in "B".
- Click again on "A" (your Neutral preset), click on the copy button at the top of the UI, select all parameters except "instrument",
- Click on "B", click on the paste button,
- Save your [neutralized] preset with an appropriate name.

brundlefly wrote:
levinite wrote:

I believe the procedure Mr. Guillaume outlined for applying custom preset settings to 'raw' 8.0 instrument files imported into 8.2 would accomplish this. Substituting "Neutral" for "old" and and "Factory" for "V80" in his original instructions you get:

- Load the Neutral preset in "A", and load any Factory preset in "B".
- Click again on "A" (your Neutral preset), click on the copy button at the top of the UI, select all parameters except "instrument",
- Click on "B", click on the paste button,
- Save your [neutralized] preset with an appropriate name.

I appreciate your post and I subsequently found using "freeze" might also accomplish what I suggested, but knowing exactly what to freeze may not be known or obvious to everyone. Say I want to compare the pure piano models in an A,B type fashion. So, I turn off reverb,delay,equalizer and set audio to monophonic and freeze everything. In the preset menu, while playing a midi, I select each piano and listen for differences. If I select a single piano and any preset there is no difference. This is expected. If I select different piano models the sound (timbre) changes as expected but there also seems to be another unexpected change possibly in the environment. Maybe, I did not freeze the correct items or this could be changes due to the piano physical model alone and my expectations are unfounded. So I guess I need to know what do I need to freeze to isolate the piano model. Then we could create our own "raw" preset.

Last edited by levinite (29-02-2024 19:30)

levinite wrote:

but there also seems to be another unexpected change possibly in the environment.

Yes, my guess would be differences in microphone selections, positions and volume/delay compensation settings. These can greatly affect the stereo image and sense of space even with Reverb disabled.

brundlefly wrote:
levinite wrote:

but there also seems to be another unexpected change possibly in the environment.

Yes, my guess would be differences in microphone selections, positions and volume/delay compensation settings. These can greatly affect the stereo image and sense of space even with Reverb disabled.

Yes, that is what the sound I hear suggests is happening, but I freeze almost everything, even tuning, voicing and design (which seems to be part of the underlying piano models). My expectation, for what it is worth is to hear a piano as it would sound in the middle of say, a desert or anechoic chamber (no mike, direct sound only, no sound reflections and only the reverberation of the piano parts).  In headphones, a dead center monophonic sound with little if any volume change depending on the piano model. That is not what I hear.

levinite wrote:
brundlefly wrote:
levinite wrote:

Yes, that is what the sound I hear suggests is happening, but I freeze almost everything, even tuning, voicing and design (which seems to be part of the underlying piano models). My expectation, for what it is worth is to hear a piano as it would sound in the middle of say, a desert or anechoic chamber (no mike, direct sound only, no sound reflections and only the reverberation of the piano parts).  In headphones, a dead center monophonic sound with little if any volume change depending on the piano model. That is not what I hear.

Technically, binaural mode would be the most appropriate to do what you want.
The binaural mode appears to be a representation without the use of microphones, but it would be a direct positioning of the listener in relation to the piano. It's as if you were listening to the piano in a real environment, without the intermediation of microphones.