Topic: New Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with new keybed

https://studiologic-music.com/products/numa_x_piano_gt/

Warmest regards,

Chris

Re: New Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with new keybed

Looks darn sexy

I wonder what the "Piano Modelling" really is, I guess it's sorta Roland's SuperNatural concept (samples+resonance modelling), if I'm correct..

Also, a new keybed TP400 with wooden side pannels (actual wood).. I'm really curious about how much of an improvement over the TP40 is..

A link a found with the price in the US (2000$)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail...ction-keys

Warm regards,
David

P85>Kawai CA97>Numa XGT>FP90X>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro (all instruments) + Organteq 2
i7 4790K W10 64bits + Behringer UMC1820
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz

Lots of empty space on the top of the unit and a tiny LCD display.  It could be twice the size and still be relatively small compared to the top of the unit.

Shouldn't need to break out the reading glasses for something like this in 2021 IMHO.

Hi, I just wanted to let "you" know:

Two days ago I got mine... and yesterday It went back

I have the SL88grand which I'm very satisfied with but I wanted to have that new keyboard-action: "fatar tp400 wood"!

And yes, I think it's better BUT for me it's not worth the price (1790eur vs. the SL is 770eur) OR it maybe would if there hadn't been a first big downer: the on/off switch didn't work properly: I had to push it a few times like a lawnmower=) to get it started. Very dissapointing, I think.
And it has so many knobs compared to the SL88 - and if the main button does not work already...

And the sound of the pianos: Oh my! .. it's really a problem, when you watch the best musicians playing fancy songs to show the instruments. But with the numa x I was always a bit sceptic about the sound. I was listening with my beyerdynamic headphones and they are quite honest. I didn't like the sounds at all. I was always thinking I would use it with pianoteq but the numa ones.. na na na! but not for me..

So now, I maybe hope that in time there will be something more minimalistic like the SL88 with the new keybed... It's definitely an improvement over the tp40wood!!

Thank you for taking the time to feed us back on your experience.

It would be cool I guess if Studiologic released an SL88 Grand "2" provided with the TP400W, that would be a "good" competitor to anything that Kawai may come up with as a successor to the VPC1

BTW did you happen to compare the TP400W vs other keybeds like Kawai, Yamaha or Roland's ones? Any thoughts that you want to share?

No... I started playing piano around my 30s. I had a casio - and it worked. I liked the sound and all ok. And then the SL88 a year ago: and the casio seems like a toy now in comparison=)
and I'm turning 40 in april - You do/or did already turn 40 too? because of 82..

the new fatar should have been my birthday present to myself but... hm. no

funny also: the only other piano on my "store-wishlist" is the vpc1 looks nice!

happy birthday just in case=)

sadhö wrote:

happy birthday just in case=)

lol thank you, I'm still enjoying the last months of my thirties but yeah sort of 40 already

I'm looking for a MIDI controller but cannot find anything that really makes the grade.. GF actions feel alright to me but they're flawed (sliptape issue) except for the latter GF3 which seems to have solved the issue, the same applies to the VPC action which I cannot recall.

SL88 Grand could be an option but too much negative feedback out there about quality issues and bad customer service, sames goes for the Numa X I'd say.

Roland, maybe an FP90X (PHA50) or it's little brother FP30X (PHA4), they both feel good although differently action-wise, still enjoyable in both cases, but I'll wait to see what this 2022 has got for us, NAMM is still in June to come and we might see the light then, just some patience

Regards,
David

If I don't just bite the bullet and buy a console digital piano (almost certainly a Kawai CA99) then the Numa X GT might me my next stage piano when my Kawai MP11SE bites the dust. I'm assuming that Kawai is never going to make another MP model stage piano or a VPC2.

Kawai MP11SE / Pianoteq Pro Studio Bundle v7.5.2 (includes every Pianoteq instrument - 21 currently)

sadhö wrote:

Hi, I just wanted to let "you" know:

Two days ago I got mine... and yesterday It went back

I have the SL88grand which I'm very satisfied with but I wanted to have that new keyboard-action: "fatar tp400 wood"!

So now, I maybe hope that in time there will be something more minimalistic like the SL88 with the new keybed... It's definitely an improvement over the tp40wood!!

Hi sadho, how does the new keybed compare to the old tp40wood, is it heavier or lighter?

hey john,

I only had it for such a short time! my impression is that the touch is pretty close to the SL88 but improved of course! the keys are better weighted and what can I say: It felt better to me but I'm also very satisfied with my "old" one...
repetition works better on the new one: it feels a bit better in value if that makes sense=)

a thought: this would have been great: french-italian connection: pianoteq software plus fatar keyboard - the sound of the numa pianos I find awful compared to PTQ or NI !!!

english is of course not my mother tongue, so it's hard for me to describe: I think the difference is marginal but It is still a difference and as soon as the tp400 is in a fitting instrument for me I guess I will get it=)

so. I have to go back to practicing=). greetings

sadhö wrote:

hey john,

I only had it for such a short time! my impression is that the touch is pretty close to the SL88 but improved of course! the keys are better weighted and what can I say: It felt better to me but I'm also very satisfied with my "old" one...
repetition works better on the new one: it feels a bit better in value if that makes sense=)

Thanks for the info.

I have had my Numa X Piano GT for 10 days now.

I have been playing piano for 64 years, on many, many different pianos, but the majority of the time on a variety of Steinway grands, plus one Bösendorfer.

I have also had several MIDI keyboards over the past 20 years, none of them more than "weighted" in a token way, none of them much good. I always felt they were just triggers in the form of a piano keyboard -- ok for producing a sound somewhere, but not even remotely like being inside the circle of awareness between mind, ears, fingers, and sound, that a real piano delivers.

Until the Numa. I am ecstatic. I can finally just play. And be in the music.

Of course, it's still not a piano. It's something else. But something really nice.

I feel that the Numa X GT eliminates one of the three problems with digital pianos: the linkage between my mind and the production of sounds. (The second problem is the tones themselves, and you all know the capabilities of Pianoteq in that regard; the third problem is the sound propagation medium, i. e. the playback system and room -- and that can never be anything like a physical piano -- that's just a reality of the game.)

As an interface to Pianoteq, I can't recommend the Numa X GT highly enough.

Happy new ears to you all.

aculver wrote:

As an interface to Pianoteq, I can't recommend the Numa X GT highly enough

Thanks for your report, really helpful.

Have you been able to compare it to the FP90X (or any PHA50 action)?

I haven't tried the Numa XGT but I did try the FP90X with pianoteq and did like two critical things for me:

- Feel of the action (they say the pivot point is a bit longer here than in the TP400W)
- MIDI response in the sense I could send very low values in a consistent way as well as the higher ones, the challenge is normally the lower range though (from 0 to 20)

Not sure how the NUMA X GT would stack against the FP90X as a controller, some other users reported very positive experiences too but I'm wondering why isn't it a hot topic yet..

What I also like about the NUMA X GT on paper at least, is that it's a living instrument, they're continously releasing new sounds to download for free and install on the NUMA, also they've said that they're planing to expand the capability of editing sounds to more than the current 4 editable parameters available now (that was a reponse on YouTube to one of my questions).

I'm leaving here their last release in case it's of general insterest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8WU52nH5ZY

Yes. One of the things I like very much with the TP-400 Wood action is the ability to send very low MIDI volume values. Easily < 17; <3 is possible.

The Numa X GT builtin sounds respond well to those low values. Pianoteq does too, but you will want to calibrate the keyboard to get anything at very low volume values (that is totally fine -- you may not want any sound with that low of a MIDI volume value).

About the "hot topic" topic: One reason this piano may not be a hot topic yet is the COVID and supply chain problems that set its availability back. I waited 4 months before ordering mine after launch, then another 9 (!) months for delivery (I got it in November 2022). My retailer offered several times to give me back my deposit, and to sell me something else. So I think it has suffered in popularity simply because not that many people have had one.

This is a Pianoteq forum, and this keyboard is excellent paired with that software. Still people talk about the internal Numa sounds with some hesitations. My tips: turn the volume on the presets up to 127 -- they default to 100 or 110 and I do find them muffled. Then, play them with a strong attack, unless you want that softened tone. On the whole, they are a bit "felted" and distant, which I attribute to the taste of the sampling engineers (as well as that questionable preset volume of 100).

aculver wrote:

Yes. One of the things I like very much with the TP-400 Wood action is the ability to send very low MIDI volume values. Easily < 17; <3 is possible.

Thank you for the clarification, I'm mor eintrigued now if possible.

Is there any chance that you'd share your velocity curve setting on the "Velocity Curve" forum? I've just checked and there's apparently none of the NUMA XGT

Is there any chance that you'd share your velocity curve setting on the "Velocity Curve" forum? I've just checked and there's apparently none of the NUMA XGT

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work, but I uploaded my Numa Piano X GT Velocity Curve in the shared files, here:

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...%20GT.mfxp

See this post in the velocity curves forum:

https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php...06#p986106

Last edited by aculver (19-11-2022 18:15)

I'm a MIDI moron, but I just got a Numa X 88 to demo and I can't get Pianoteq to play through the Numa keyboard.  If I play Pianoteq's on screen keyboard, I get sound.  But nothing thru the Numa keyboard.  There must be a setting (or 3) I don't know.  Can someone please give me some pointers?

Thanks,
Joel

jocar37 wrote:

I'm a MIDI moron, but I just got a Numa X 88 to demo and I can't get Pianoteq to play through the Numa keyboard.  If I play Pianoteq's on screen keyboard, I get sound.  But nothing thru the Numa keyboard.

It's not a matter of playing Pianoteq through the Numa. It's a matter of having the Numa keyboard trigger Pianoteq, giving you the same sonic result that you already get when triggering it using the built-in Pianoteq screen keyboard.

So first you have to connect your Numa via MIDI to your computer (there are many videos about how to do that depending on your operating system and MIDI interface). Second, once your Numa is a valid MIDI device on your computer, you have to tell Pianoteq to use it (Options | Devices). This assumes you are using Pianoteq stand-alone. If you are going through a DAW, it will have some way to do the same thing.

aculver wrote:
jocar37 wrote:

I'm a MIDI moron, but I just got a Numa X 88 to demo and I can't get Pianoteq to play through the Numa keyboard.  If I play Pianoteq's on screen keyboard, I get sound.  But nothing thru the Numa keyboard.

It's not a matter of playing Pianoteq through the Numa. It's a matter of having the Numa keyboard trigger Pianoteq, giving you the same sonic result that you already get when triggering it using the built-in Pianoteq screen keyboard.

So first you have to connect your Numa via MIDI to your computer (there are many videos about how to do that depending on your operating system and MIDI interface). Second, once your Numa is a valid MIDI device on your computer, you have to tell Pianoteq to use it (Options | Devices). This assumes you are using Pianoteq stand-alone. If you are going through a DAW, it will have some way to do the same thing.

I'm using Pianoteq in standalone mode and Windows 11.  I have a USB cable connecting my laptop to my keyboard.  If you know of a video that describes how this works in this environment, I'd appreciate it if you'd share the link.  None of the videos I've found described what settings I'd need to adjust, let alone how to locate them.

Look under Options | Devices in Pianoteq. If the Numa is there, just enable it and you are good to go.

If it's not there, you will need help from a Window's user (I'm on a Mac). MIDI services are built into the Mac, so no other item is needed. I think on Windows you may need a MIDI interface between the Numa and the laptop -- or maybe it is built-in to Windows 11 -- I don't know.

For a decent general introduction, try this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4revAw3lT4g

There are surely Windows 11 users here who can help you more.