Topic: Testing 8.2 with a quick improv recorded with the NY

Wanted to do a quick test of the 8.2 update so here's a little improv I recorded using the NY Steinway Classical preset. I used Pro R2 for the reverb and Waves C6/L1 for some light mastering.

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...sation.mp3

Re: Testing 8.2 with a quick improv recorded with the NY

Alcaknight wrote:

Wanted to do a quick test of the 8.2 update so here's a little improv I recorded using the NY Steinway Classical preset. I used Pro R2 for the reverb and Waves C6/L1 for some light mastering.

Hello Alcaknight and welcome to this sub-forum Recordings..

Nice playing and nice sound, like a real grand piano. Thanks for sharing.
Waiting for more.
Keep going!

Best wishes,

Stig

Great job highlighting the sound of this preset, beautiful. I'm liking the 8.2 update.

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:
Alcaknight wrote:

Hello Alcaknight and welcome to this sub-forum Recordings..

Nice playing and nice sound, like a real grand piano. Thanks for sharing.
Waiting for more.
Keep going!

Best wishes,

Stig

kencarlino wrote:

Great job highlighting the sound of this preset, beautiful. I'm liking the 8.2 update.

Thank you both! I appreciate it. I'm also really liking the update so far

lovely improvisation!

budo wrote:

lovely improvisation!

Thank you!

Nice.  I always preferred the HB Steinway, but now the NY Steinway sounds really good.

Hey there Alcaknight,

Nice improvisation! Did you do anything to get the NY Steinway to sound like that, or did you use it as-is, "straight out of the box"?

I upgraded to version 8.2 recently (I have only Stage though), but find that the pianos, especially the two Steinway D's, are dull and lifeless, with a muffled sound that makes it sound like someone is playing the piano inside a thick felt cocoon and you're standing outside listening to it. Did Modartt perhaps tailor the sound to cater for the cinematic market?

Here I am testing out a section from a piece by Rachmaninov (Melodie, Op 3 No 3): Notice especially the ascending lh octaves as the piece moves to its climax. These are loud enough to start getting those nice metallic overtones. You can sort-of hear them here, but the overall quality remains muffled rather than rich and alive as it should be (at least at those dynamics), and would have been on a physical instrument. There is also quite a "wash" that I could not eliminate even with careful pedalling - not sure but I don't think you'd get this much of a wash on a physical instrument unless it was poorly maintained. It's as though the fundamental and first few harmonics don't die away quickly enough(?)
[I used the NY Steinway Classical Recording preset and only switched off the pedal noises and reverb. In the DAW, there was no processing of the sound at all]

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...Sample.mp3

At first I thought it might be me/my headphones/my PC speakers, but I listened to other recordings on YouTube, even the home-made ones, and those are not muffled like this at all. One can notice the muffled quality especially in the bass from about C2 downwards - it sounds like there is too much of the fundamental and not enough of the harmonics so the bass notes sound a bit more like a bass guitar than a piano.

Is this fixable at all? Maybe I'm just doing something silly? (Sincere apologies in advance if I've posted this in the wrong forum..)