Topic: WIDOR, a blast from the past, revival of French Romantic organ music.

Widor: Toccata, revised new version with Organteq 2

Using Baroque Church Crescendo and stops preset 9

Immerse yourself in a blast from the past as Organteqenthusiast brings back the magic of Charles Marie Widor's best-known piece for organ, Toccata from V Symphony Op. 42 No.1 with his unique version created with Organteq 2 in Garageband, Mac mini late -14. I think this is not just a piece of music but a revival of French Romantic organ music.

Often played at wedding ceremonies.
Many organists play this too fast. Widor didn’t like to hear it fast. I listened to his  more slow own playing from1932, and tried to get about that tempo.
Everyone should listen to this. What an experience. And the arguments about tempo will probably never end. I like this speed so you can hear more of the music.

NOTICE:
Some of you have listened to my old version with Organteq 1  2021, but this is the new, updated version with Organteq 2, remake.
Enjoy the fantastic Organteq 2.

https://youtu.be/zAb9ZUmm2Fs

All the best, everyone

Stig

Re: WIDOR, a blast from the past, revival of French Romantic organ music.

Stig, it's just awesome!
I am a big fan of this Toccata and felt almost as if I were inside the Saint-Sulpice. Thanks a lot for this contribution, it's definitely a must-listen. I liked the slower tempo, close to the one chosen by Widor himself, and lending the Toccata the majesty that is easily lost if played faster.
Was the Baroque preset a deliberate choice for this piece or did you just accidentally come across it and think it was a coup?
Best regards
Ivan

Klest wrote:

Stig, it's just awesome!
I am a big fan of this Toccata and felt almost as if I were inside the Saint-Sulpice. Thanks a lot for this contribution, it's definitely a must-listen. I liked the slower tempo, close to the one chosen by Widor himself, and lending the Toccata the majesty that is easily lost if played faster.
Was the Baroque preset a deliberate choice for this piece or did you just accidentally come across it and think it was a coup?
Best regards
Ivan

Thank you Ivan for your interest, comment and your taking the time to listen. I appreciate it.

Regarding the Baroque preset, yes, it vas a deliberate choice, I wanted that sound.

I always search long and carefully, testing different sound combinations. Maybe it should have been from the Romantic group, but I couldn't really find anything powerful enough for this piece there. But there are so many possibilities and I almost never use the same registration on my next recordings, it's exciting to try something new, it depends on the music style to get the mood……experiment

Best wishes,

Stig

Magnifique !

Your tempo is perfect.

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

Borealis wrote:

Magnifique !

Your tempo is perfect.

Borealis, you have my deepest thanks.

Best wishes,

Stig

Hi,

very nice version of this toccata.
But, for the fun, have you ever heard the version of this toccata played by the french organist Jean Guillou. I have it on an old vinyl. The duration of the toccata is 4'19.
Here is the shortcut to listen this version. I just can tell you that it's note made with a DAW increasing the speed.

If you search with Youtube : toccata widor jean guillou , you will find it

Last edited by Bidouille (08-02-2024 15:18)
Improvisation is, perhaps, the illusionist's art: but what would life be worth if we managed to lose all our illusions?
Pierre Cochereau

Bidouille wrote:

Hi,

very nice version of this toccata.
But, for the fun, have you ever heard the version of this toccata played by the french organist Jean Guillou. I have it on an old vinyl. The duration of the toccata is 4'19.
Here is the shortcut to listen this version. I just can tell you that it's note made with a DAW increasing the speed.

If you search with Youtube : toccata widor jean guillou , you will find it

I listened to the french organist Jean Guillou, very fun, yes.Thank you Bidouille.
Some people think that Widor played too slowl, why? . Widor was the composer, he knows the tempo! So I chose his tempo.
Just because some can play faster doesn’t mean they should.

Anyway, I tried too to speed up my version, just for fun      as Guillou.  I can't play this fast.....

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...xtract.mp3

Best wishes,

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (09-02-2024 16:35)