Topic: Organtech 2 Delay

I have an issue the attack and release on a key. I have changed the delay on the settings. There is still a delay.

How do I get ride of the delay? I just want it to sound when I press the key and stop when the key is released.

Re: Organtech 2 Delay

Desertolson wrote:

I have an issue the attack and release on a key. I have changed the delay on the settings. There is still a delay.

How do I get ride of the delay? I just want it to sound when I press the key and stop when the key is released.

Which operating system do you use?
What delay time (in ms) is shown in the Options > Devices window under Audio Buffer Size?

Pat wrote:
Desertolson wrote:

What delay time (in ms) is shown in the Options > Devices window under Audio Buffer Size?

WINDOWS 11

384 samples 8.7 ms

Desertolson wrote:
Pat wrote:
Desertolson wrote:

WINDOWS 11

384 samples 8.7 ms

Sample rate is 44100 hz

Desertolson wrote:

384 samples 8.7 ms

This latency time should not be a problem for an organist;
it corresponds approximately to the sound travel time of 3 meters (distance of the sound source from the listener)

Is there possibly a delay in the incoming midi signal?
What about other MIDI apps? Is there also a noticeable latency?

Do you use a ASIO Interface?

Could you also give us an estimate of how much delay you're still experiencing? 8ms in the abstract is quite manageable (it's not real-time/zero-latency by any means but it's minimal); which implies that something else in the signal chain is adding the delay.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

Stegi wrote:

Sorry, what is ASIO? I am using an external USB sound card because the jack is broken on my laptop.

tmyoung wrote:

Could you also give us an estimate of how much delay you're still experiencing? 8ms in the abstract is quite manageable (it's not real-time/zero-latency by any means but it's minimal); which implies that something else in the signal chain is adding the delay.

My organ teacher is not happy with the delay. If I do a 1 octave scale, the last note is delayed. It is noticeable, but less than a second. Maybe a quarter second.

Desertolson wrote:
Stegi wrote:

Sorry, what is ASIO? I am using an external USB sound card because the jack is broken on my laptop.

ASIO is the "Audio Stream Input/Output" protocol by Steinberg, which is largely industry standard for communication audio and midi data between hardware, and it can have its own internal delay--particularly depending on the drivers you're using.  Free tools like ASIO4ALL can go a long way towards to providing ASIO functionality for devices that either don't support it or don't support it well.  We probably need a complete list of the hardware and software you're using in your signal chain to determine exactly why the extra delay is happening.

Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

Desertolson wrote:
tmyoung wrote:

My organ teacher is not happy with the delay. If I do a 1 octave scale, the last note is delayed. It is noticeable, but less than a second. Maybe a quarter second.

Interesting; if the delay only occurs on some notes or in some situations that's likely either a CPU issue or a drivers issue (off-hand with no other information).  If the delay occurs on every note, then it's more like a settings or software issue.

Does delay go away if you only have one stop open on one manual?  Does the delay only occur on select notes or stops?  Does the delay decrease if no background applications are open?  Does the delay decrease or go away if you decrease the polyphony counter?

Those are some things you can start to debug to see exactly the kind of delay you're having and start to target what's causing it.

Good luck!  Let us know what you find.

Casio GP300