Topic: Feature request: Brightness slider.

Feature request: Brightness slider.
I have Pianoteq and Arturia's Piano V. One feature I like in Piano V is the ability to make the piano brighter without going into the other parameters.

Last edited by DonSmith (18-01-2024 15:44)

Re: Feature request: Brightness slider.

+1 Yes please! I've requested this feature before, I'm sure many users would appreciate it.

You have it : the hammer hardness parameters - not to mention the Equalizer, the EQ3 effect as well as the velocity curve.

It's great that we have the Hammer Hardness sliders. I do use them. But here's something I'm never quite sure about: if I've adjusted the Forte hammer setting for a softer sound (for example from 1.70 to 1.60), should I adjust the others as well, and by how much? My aim is always to keep the piano sounding as natural as possible.

dazric wrote:

It's great that we have the Hammer Hardness sliders. I do use them. But here's something I'm never quite sure about: if I've adjusted the Forte hammer setting for a softer sound (for example from 1.70 to 1.60), should I adjust the others as well, and by how much? My aim is always to keep the piano sounding as natural as possible.

The simplest thing to do is to change the three hardness parameters by the same ratio, moving for example from [0.30 0.90 1.60] to [0.27 0.81 1.44] (-10% variation), supposing here you want a softer sound. But you may possibly be happy with the timbre when playing piano, in which case you would go with [0.30 0.81 1.44], or even [0.30 0.90 1.44] if you were also happy at mezzo forte and wanted only to soften the forte level. This is all a matter of taste.

Ah, excellent - thanks, Philippe!

Philippe Guillaume wrote:
dazric wrote:

The simplest thing to do is to change the three hardness parameters by the same ratio, moving for example from [0.30 0.90 1.60] to [0.27 0.81 1.44] (-10% variation), supposing here you want a softer sound. But you may possibly be happy with the timbre when playing piano, in which case you would go with [0.30 0.81 1.44], or even [0.30 0.90 1.44] if you were also happy at mezzo forte and wanted only to soften the forte level. This is all a matter of taste.

Then maybe a way of locking/grouping the sliders so they move together to make it easier?

DonSmith wrote:
dazric wrote:

Then maybe a way of locking/grouping the sliders so they move together to make it easier?

For a long time I've thought this would be a convenient feature

Last edited by Edchamberlain (18-01-2024 18:55)

For more precision, the 3 sliders could also be replaced by a more progressive hardness curve.
However I prefer the existing 3 sliders than a sliders "brightness"... What is "Brightness" it is not a parameter for me.

YvesTh wrote:

For more precision, the 3 sliders could also be replaced by a more progressive hardness curve.
However I prefer the existing 3 sliders than a sliders "brightness"... What is "Brightness" it is not a parameter for me.

I wouldn't want to lose the three sliders.

You have it : the hammer hardness parameters - not to mention the Equalizer, the EQ3 effect as well as the velocity curve.

Good point! I map each of the three hammer hardness parameters (piano, mezzo, forte) to the same midi controller, each with a distinct range, with the range for piano being the lowest, the range for the forte being the highest. The slider on my controller keyboard that sends that midi controller data then acts as a brightness slider.

larrycalame wrote:

Good point! I map each of the three hammer hardness parameters (piano, mezzo, forte) to the same midi controller, each with a distinct range, with the range for piano being the lowest, the range for the forte being the highest. The slider on my controller keyboard that sends that midi controller data then acts as a brightness slider.

Clever! The best answer so far for DonSmith!

It would great if I could hold down a modifier key, like my Option key on the keyboard, and then, while dragging one hardness slider, the other two move also, proportionally.

To Don Smith: New to Pianoteq. Love your SteinwayGrandD-NYHB. Loaded it, but my piano doesn´t sound nearly as good as yours and I can´t figure out how to improve the sound. It´s a Roland RD. Any suggestions?