Topic: Is it possible to Change Instruments via Midimap?

Hi Guys and Dolls,

i defined a map that allows me to change presets via assigning Note-On Values for Next and Previous Preset.

I tried that to change Instruments too - with different Note-On Values, but it doesn't work.

Is it possible to switch Instruments via Midimap-Settings?
If yes, has anybody figured out how, and wouldn't mind to share the controller settings?

Thank you in advance

Music was my first love. And it will be my last. Music of the future. And music of the past (John Miles)

Re: Is it possible to Change Instruments via Midimap?

I don't know if that is what you want, but I have assigned a midi event to A/B-switch.
This way, you can have two instruments with their respective settings at your disposal.
Since I have a quite simple keyboard, I use the highest note for switching, since I never ever use that.

I hope that helps.

Have a nice day & happy playin'

Yamaha CP33 -- Scarlett 2i2 -- Yamaha HS7 / Sennheiser HD650 -- PTQ 7 Std [Linux/OSX] -- Some instruments

Pboy wrote:

Hi Guys and Dolls,

i defined a map that allows me to change presets via assigning Note-On Values for Next and Previous Preset.

I tried that to change Instruments too - with different Note-On Values, but it doesn't work.

Is it possible to switch Instruments via Midimap-Settings?
If yes, has anybody figured out how, and wouldn't mind to share the controller settings?

Thank you in advance

Hi, yes it should be possible.  I have not tried this myself but I think the procedure would be

1- click on the Toggle preset management (Little pen icon on the left of the save icon)
2- click on the drop down menu of the instrument you want
3- Select assign MIDI event

That should do the trick.

Edited: It works. I just tried it.

Cheers

Last edited by sordess (16-12-2022 15:40)
Sordess
Author of PTQ Client Webapp: (https://github.com/robert-rc2i/ptq-client-webapp)
Kawai CA79

Thanks for the feedback so far, and  the quite genuine approaches ...*-)

In the  Midi-Settings one can assign Midi-Events - for instance - to Next- / Previous Preset, Next- / Previous Instrument etc.

For the Next- / Previous Preset, i assigned Note-On.Events, and it works fine for the actual Instrument.

When i do the same for Next- / Previous Instrument it doesn't work.

So perhaps one must use another Midi-Event? Perhaps Program Change?

Only i don't want to set up a separate Event / Pianokey for each and every instrument.

What i look for is a way to scroll or browse back and forth through the Instruments, like it is possible to do for the Presets of  an Instrument, whith just 2 Pianokeys ...

Last edited by Pboy (17-12-2022 12:00)
Music was my first love. And it will be my last. Music of the future. And music of the past (John Miles)

Pboy wrote:

Thanks for the feedback so far, and  the quite genuine approaches ...*-)

For some reason my brain stopped at the instrument selection and not next/previous when I read your post.

Pboy wrote:

In the  Midi-Settings one can assign Midi-Events - for instance - to Next- / Previous Preset, Next- / Previous Instrument etc.

For the Next- / Previous Preset, i assigned Note-On.Events, and it works fine for the actual Instrument.

When i do the same for Next- / Previous Instrument it doesn't work.

I tried and assigned two notes on my piano to Next and previous instrument.  Both are assigned a Note XX on/off event.  It works on my end.  I am able to navigate instruments. with those 2 keys.  But would require and additional 2 keys for the presets navigation.

Last edited by sordess (17-12-2022 16:27)
Sordess
Author of PTQ Client Webapp: (https://github.com/robert-rc2i/ptq-client-webapp)
Kawai CA79

Hi everyone,

since it can still interest some of you, I send this reply today :

Yes you can assign an Pianoteq action like next/previous preset or next/previous instrument to an midi signal like a Note On.
I did it with the upper notes (105 On and 106 On for previous/next preset 107 On and 108 On for previous/next instrument). It works fine on Pianoteq Standard 8.0. and I used it a lot, very easy to change from one piano to another and much more easy than with the PC keyboard !

But with Pianoteq Standard 8.2 the previous/next instrument work no more. I think it's a bug.

Have a nice day

Pat