Topic: Upgrade iPad?

I have 8.2 running on an iPad(6th generation) which uses the A10 chip.
I think it sounds phenomenal all ready but always looking for improvement.

Here's my setup and settings:
Roland FP-30x
iPad (6th generation)
Klipsh Speakers with subwoofer
Pianoteq 8.2

Settings:
Sample Rate: 44100Hz
Buffer Size: 128 samples (2.9ms)
Maximum Polyphony 256

I get a Performance Index in 40s and 50s.
No hiccups and response is very acceptable.

My question is -- does it make sense to upgrade my iPad to either a newer version or Pro or am I just wasting my money?  Overall, I am already quite satisfied but was wondering what a new iPad Pro would actually get me (higher Sample Rate? Better Performance index?).  Maybe I am good but wanted to hear from others with higher end rigs.

Re: Upgrade iPad?

pianoteqlover1 wrote:

I have 8.2 running on an iPad(6th generation) which uses the A10 chip.
I think it sounds phenomenal all ready but always looking for improvement.

Here's my setup and settings:
Roland FP-30x
iPad (6th generation)
Klipsh Speakers with subwoofer
Pianoteq 8.2

Settings:
Sample Rate: 44100Hz
Buffer Size: 128 samples (2.9ms)
Maximum Polyphony 256

I get a Performance Index in 40s and 50s.
No hiccups and response is very acceptable.

My question is -- does it make sense to upgrade my iPad to either a newer version or Pro or am I just wasting my money?  Overall, I am already quite satisfied but was wondering what a new iPad Pro would actually get me (higher Sample Rate? Better Performance index?).  Maybe I am good but wanted to hear from others with higher end rigs.

If you don’t have performance problems then no need to upgrade. You’d get a higher performance index - my iPhone 14 Pro Max ranges from 30-80, so for a CPU that’s theoretically WAY faster than yours, it’s not a huge difference.

Re: Upgrade iPad?

I get a performance index of 105 with latest iPad Air (M1) on 128 samples buffer.
Surprisingly, I get 125 performance index with 64 samples buffer.

I thought for sure it would be a worse index for a higher CPU demanding task.

My cpu meeter never reaches above 28% while playing, even with unlimited poly and smashing all keys repeatedly with sustain pedal.

In short, there is no need to upgrade as you would only pay for power you don't need.

I use my Ipad for digital paintings too. Thats why I need the power.