Topic: Pianoteq 8.2 Almost too perfect.

Hi,

There's a constant problem that I've been experiencing since I owned the Pianoteq v6 until pre 8.1.3, which is the key action feel. This must be very annoying considering the updates that we've been provided by the Moddart team. v8.1.3 still has a little, but subliminal, difference from the previous version.

The other complaint is the sound, which was "thin" and lacked a "woody" feel compared to the real grand piano.

The sharp sound that was constantly hitting my ears was a big issue that was hard to explain until tinnitus arose. That's not including too short a sound (decay) that disconnects my feelings towards the song that I play. This created another challenge for us pianists to connect with the audience, particularly when playing solo. With the band (drums, guitars, and other instruments), not so much. If I could conclude my complaint in one sentence, it would be:

Not many pianists know how to edit the sound to the real thing.

Fortunately, Pianoteq is the only VST that listens to its users to perfect its products. That's the reason why I love Pianoteq: all the complaints that I've been personally experiencing have been tackled one by one beautifully.

What about Pianoteq update 8.2?

In my ears, this should be the gold standard of piano VST sounds that would inspire other companies to start listening to their customers even more. Considering the small size of the program and the sound that it produces, I think this version is the bomb. Let's break it down:

1. Key action feel sturdy and more fluid like the real acoustic piano.

2. The connection between one note and other notes is clearer than before. It became real acoustic sounds.
2. Woody sounds are presences.
3. Pleasant sound.
4. It has a soul or feeling. Hey, this thing is digital. That's CRAZY!!!
5. All presets are the icing on the cake.
6. Suddenly, I have two new favorite sounds: Petrof Mistral and U4. These two sounds cut the mix like butter. The character of Petrof Mistral covered the lower bass to the highest range. Playing this instrument makes it feel grandiose, while the U4 brings nuance that feels intimate and fresh.

What's my complaint?

Did I make any complaints?

I think I am speechless. No tears yet. My heart? I'd like to keep it for myself.

What about my expectations?

My only expectation is to hope that Moddart stays forward in every update. That's it.

What's my future hope?

Hope is not a complaint or an expectation. It's just a dream that might be considered by Moddart based on my personal experience gigging around. It's like a present or a gift that no one asks for, but it's surprising when we start opening the box. Some of them are:

1. Yamaha DX7 sounds.
2. Real electric guitar that I used to have in Roland Fantom G8.
3. Pitch Bend toggle on the left.
4. Strings and Orchestra.
5. Wood wind sounds in Organtec. If it's available, then I'd get one for sure.

I am very pleased to have Pianoteq, especially with this update. I can play even longer than before.

Thank you, Moddart team, for keeping the update even better, beyond my expectations.

Best regards.

Dulistan

Last edited by dulistan heman (21-01-2024 19:28)
YouTube page: Dulistan Heman

Re: Pianoteq 8.2 Almost too perfect.

Yamaha U4 (upright piano) wasn't revoiced in the 8.2 upgrade. Just the 11 modern grand pianos.
The Yamaha YC5 was revoiced.

But you are right, the 8.2 upgrade did wonders and is bringing new people to enjoy pianoteq. Many people who didn't liked the basic tone for piano solo now found 8.2 as having clear and more natural sound.

Modartt is on the right track.
Très bien monsieur Guillaume.

Last edited by Beto-Music (21-01-2024 22:51)

Heya Dulistan,

I just wish to express my personal happiness, knowing you are enjoying this update. Again, knowing you're enjoying it and finding it useful is a joy for me to read here.. Cheers and the very best wishes to you always.

To me, this 8.2 update is certainly icing on a delicious cake and absolutely everyone at Modartt are doing more than excellent work. Admirable!

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Just want to say a great big thank you to all those involved in the work that had resulted in this superb update.

Warmest regards,

Chris

Yes indeed, 8.2 is a significant turning point. Pianoteq now seems poised to knock pretty much all sample-based pianos into oblivion!

Knowing Modartt, at this point they're not going to sit back and say 'job done'. There are surely more refinements and pleasant surprises to come. But I'm really happy with what we've got now. When I've waded through and sorted out my favourite presets, I need to get on with making some music!

sigasa wrote:

Just want to say a great big thank you to all those involved in the work that had resulted in this superb update.

Warmest regards,

Chris

As always, the beta team has done a superb job for producing this update!

The funny thing is that before starting the beta tests, I usually scratch my head "hmm.. do we really need beta testing? the improvement we already made sounds ok..." And then, during each beta session with no exception, the evidence is there: the beta tests were really worth, and the beta team work pushed the instruments quality several steps forward! Not to mention the various issues that we missed at first.

Philippe Guillaume wrote:
sigasa wrote:

Warmest regards,

Chris

The funny thing is that before starting the beta tests, I usually scratch my head "hmm.. do we really need beta testing? the improvement we already made sounds ok..." And then, during each beta session with no exception, the evidence is there: the beta tests were really worth, and the beta team work pushed the instruments quality several steps forward! Not to mention the various issues that we missed at first.

The quality of this work really shows, Philippe,

Thank you Beta team, fantastic job,

Warmest regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (22-01-2024 16:46)

Now when are we going to see a new piano model

instred wrote:

When we least expect it!

instred wrote:

I predict a v9 with an increased bass realism and a Bösendorfer Imperial pack

Qexl wrote:

Heya Dulistan,

I just wish to express my personal happiness, knowing you are enjoying this update. Again, knowing you're enjoying it and finding it useful is a joy for me to read here.. Cheers and the very best wishes to you always.

To me, this 8.2 update is certainly icing on a delicious cake and absolutely everyone at Modartt are doing more than excellent work. Admirable!

Thank you, Qexl. I totally agree with you. Cheers, and the very best wishes to you always.

sigasa wrote:

Warmest regards,

Chris

Me too, Sigasa. This is truly superb update.

dazric wrote:

Yes indeed, 8.2 is a significant turning point. Pianoteq now seems poised to knock pretty much all sample-based pianos into oblivion!

Knowing Modartt, at this point they're not going to sit back and say 'job done'. There are surely more refinements and pleasant surprises to come. But I'm really happy with what we've got now. When I've waded through and sorted out my favourite presets, I need to get on with making some music!

You've read my mind already, Dazric. I am a very happy and satisfied pianist this year, 2024.

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

You said it beautifully, Sir. Guillaume. Thanks for recognizing the beta test team. Also, for allowing them to represent our voice to make this pianoteq become what it is today.

I believe the pianist and the piano should be a marriage in one to produce great sound. That's the reason why we love our piano. It's more than just a vehicle. It should become part of our lives. Moddart is part of our lives, for sure.

Warmest regard.

instred wrote:

With this great recent update, 8.2, I strongly believe Pianoteq will give us a great surprise. I can't wait for the new grand piano or new instruments.

dikrek wrote:
instred wrote:

I predict a v9 with an increased bass realism and a Bösendorfer Imperial pack

Bösendorfer Imperial is one of my favorites too, Dikrek. I can't wait to see one for future updates.

Last edited by dulistan heman (22-01-2024 19:07)

"Maintenant, quand allons-nous voir un nouveau modèle de piano"

je rêve d'un violoncelle

Last edited by bernard (22-01-2024 21:09)

Amazing update. I was already thrilled with Pianoteq, and found it to be superior to all other piano VSTs that I own (I have quite a few, including Ivory). Since I got Pianoteq it is the only piano I use any more. In every application it exceeds the "competition" sonically in every way. (I say "competition" in quotes because, IMNSHO, no others can hold a candle to Pianoteq.) And yet, your development wizards found a way to make the best sound even better, and I simply could not be happier with the decision to go with Modartt. I also purchased Organteq several months ago (right when the V2 came out), and I am thrilled with that, as well. I used to use Hauptwerk, which was excellent, but updates proved cost prohibitive for me. I eagerly anticipate any and all updates and new releases of instruments that Modartt chooses to model. Top on my list would be continued development of Organteq, perhaps a Hammond B-3, and any and all orchestral instruments. I am one happy camper! Thank you Modartt!!! I hope you get the attention and appreciation you have earned, and I hope that deserved commercial success enables you to continue what you do for many, many years to come. Thanks again, Modartt!

Yes indeed Tonmeister, to me it's peerless. To be fair others have different priorities. Pianoteq is so malleable and playable - and these days sounds fantastic.

When Modartt get around to other orchestral instruments I would like to see/hear a "Windteq" for wind and breath controllers. I highly doubt that would ever happen but hey..
More importantly I'm sure they'll keep squeezing more and more out of their brilliant engine.

Pianoteq just gets better and better.

In my opinion, there's still a degree of realism in the attack and the bass region that's missing, compared to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeDltamNGck

As Modartt keeps refining the model (and CPUs become more powerful) I'm sure this gap will close.

Yes, there's no denying that the VSL pianos are impressive. But they're so heavy on HDD and $$$!

I think it could be a nice markeging...  Like a video showing a pianist getting iPod from the pocket, connection to a controller and enjoying pianoteq's dozens of intruments.

Sometimes I wish the pianoteq contest could have space for creation of videos like cool advertisements for pianoteq.

dazric wrote:

Yes, there's no denying that the VSL pianos are impressive. But they're so heavy on HDD and $$$!

Beto-Music wrote:

I think it could be a nice markeging...  Like a video showing a pianist getting iPod from the pocket, connection to a controller and enjoying pianoteq's dozens of intruments.

Sometimes I wish the pianoteq contest could have space for creation of videos like cool advertisements for pianoteq.

dazric wrote:

Heh heh, imagine actually loading that thing on a spinning platter HDD.

SSD almost mandatory I suggest. A fast
NVME SSD gen 3 or 4 probably makes it tolerable, but these pianos are still gobbling up terabytes of your drive space. Interesting dinosaur nonetheless.

I recently started to use both VSL and Pianoteq together, and it's great!, complementary one could say...
Nothing fancy, just messing with presets and mixing them.

Regarding VSL: last year there was test period when you could test all of them for a month, and I went crazy playing all of them for a long time. In my humble opinion the one to get is the Yamaha, for me it has the best samples, very even over all registries. All the others had annoying parts for me, especially when you play them for longer periods of time.

Lycomedes wrote:

In my opinion, there's still a degree of realism in the attack and the bass region that's missing, compared to this:

As Modartt keeps refining the model (and CPUs become more powerful) I'm sure this gap will close.

Michael10 wrote:

Regarding VSL: last year there was test period when you could test all of them for a month, and I went crazy playing all of them for a long time. In my humble opinion the one to get is the Yamaha, for me it has the best samples, very even over all registries. All the others had annoying parts for me, especially when you play them for longer periods of time.

I did the same during the trial period and also wound up with the Yamaha. It's a drive space hog but it plays beautifully.

I'd love to see Modartt's take on the CFX!

Lycomedes wrote:

I agree. At some point, I'm sure we'll get there in the near future. What I am looking for from Pianoteq is the "warm" and thick sound of the real acoustic piano, especially the key action. This 8.2 delivers these basic requirements for most users better than other VSTs.

I like the VSL very much. I bet they use lots of disk space to cover the whole velocity to reach the realism of the sample recording. If they have in smaller size as Pianoteq has, I mostly get one for sure. Unfortunately they don't have demo version.

One feature I would like to see is the ability to designate specific midi controllers in multi instrument mode rather than merely assigning those instruments to single midi channels.
This would enable the use of MPE controllers together with regular single channel controllers when playing multiple instrument packs simultaneously.
The current workaround is to use Pianoteq in a daw and to set up multiple instances which can then be individually designated to any given controller within the daw.

Key Fumbler wrote:

One feature I would like to see is the ability to designate specific midi controllers in multi instrument mode rather than merely assigning those instruments to single midi channels.
This would enable the use of MPE controllers together with regular single channel controllers when playing multiple instrument packs simultaneously.
The current workaround is to use Pianoteq in a daw and to set up multiple instances which can then be individually designated to any given controller within the daw.

+1 Key Fumbler

dulistan heman wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:

+1 Key Fumbler

Also the problem with this current DAW workaround I suggested is that it's only partially successful as you can trigger the non MPE sounds via the MPE keyboards as MPE uses all 16 channels.

Version 8.2 sounds super!

What really brought out my amazement was listening back to prior pianoteqs – I got in at version five, and even that was a big improvement from version four. From version four to the current one is "mind blowing".

Take the Steinway B in version 8.2, dial in a little altered condition (around 0.18–0.21), and it sounds almost exactly like my acoustic piano sitting in front of me.

David

- David