Topic: Variations on a Swedish folksong from 1800s (NY Steinway D Worn out)

Variations on a Swedish folksong from 1800s (NY Steinway D Worn out, a bit)

I didn’t  want to go too far from the melody when improvising, so that all listeners can” follow along”  It’s a Swedish emigrant song from 1800s. Emigrant is a noun, meaning "one who leaves one's place of residence or country to live elsewhere."

Emigrantvisa, "Emigrant song" , traditional,  ”Vi sålde våra hemman” is probably the most known song/ballad about Swedes who emigrated to North America.

What do the lyrics say - well, it start….the people started on their way, like a bird that fly away in autumn. Bird will come back in spring, but we will never see our country that we love again….(my own translation).

https://youtu.be/dxZ9YNpFUOE

All the best, everyone

Stig

Re: Variations on a Swedish folksong from 1800s (NY Steinway D Worn out)

I really like the mood of this song, it feels like a hard life of an immigrant at that time, even with some attempted upbeat parts I can't help to feel the drudgery of a hard life still coming through. Very well done!

Ken

kencarlino wrote:

I really like the mood of this song, it feels like a hard life of an immigrant at that time, even with some attempted upbeat parts I can't help to feel the drudgery of a hard life still coming through. Very well done!

Ken

Thank you ken for your excellent comment. You nailed it! They had a hard life.

Best wishes,

Stig

great job on this.  i really liked how the feeling changed with the different variations/key and mood changes. i also thought it worked well with the choice of instrument ... the worn out pianos have their place too!  i hope you will do more improvisations like this.

budo wrote:

great job on this.  i really liked how the feeling changed with the different variations/key and mood changes. i also thought it worked well with the choice of instrument ... the worn out pianos have their place too!  i hope you will do more improvisations like this.

Thank you budo for nice comment and encouragement. Yes, there is another impro coming

Best wishes,

Stig

Stig,

I like this a lot, especially the way you keep the nostalgic quality throughout the variations. The moods change but not the underlying effect of the song's message.

Keep posting and sharing your amazing gifts!

My best,
Robert

algorhythms wrote:

Stig,

I like this a lot, especially the way you keep the nostalgic quality throughout the variations. The moods change but not the underlying effect of the song's message.

Keep posting and sharing your amazing gifts!

My best,
Robert

Thank you Robert for your kind comment.

Best wishes,

Stig