Topic: A child at prayer W. Filby, One more composer to know (Orgtq 2)

A child at prayer   W C M Filby  Op 253
One more composer to know 

Genre
Early 20th century

https://youtu.be/3xvylv29nJY

William Charles Mary Filby (1836, (1833?) -1913) was an organist in Hammersmith, Bromley, and then organist of St. Paul's Church, Greenwich. He was a recitalist at the 1862 exhibition.

As a composer, he wrote many piano pieces and songs, as well as a number of organ works.

"A Child at Prayer" was published by the The Vincent Music Co. Ltd. in 1907 as "No. 123" in the "The Organ Loft Series."

The work features a "child-like" diatonic melody, set against a slightly more chromatic background. The work is without pretense or apology, and speaks of a long-forgotten world, and a simplicity of emotion that would be rare in the world in which we live. (Dave)

Stay tuned!  I am constantly looking for, and finding, more forgotten, different diamonds to see the light of day, to make them known to the forum's listeners.

Orgtq 2 just totally blew me away with the many new exciting features!

Allt the best, everyone

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (05-10-2023 23:21)

Re: A child at prayer W. Filby, One more composer to know (Orgtq 2)

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

Genre
Early 20th century

William Charles Mary Filby (1836, (1833?) -1913) was an organist in Hammersmith, Bromley, and then organist of St. Paul's Church, Greenwich. He was a recitalist at the 1862 exhibition.

As a composer, he wrote many piano pieces and songs, as well as a number of organ works.

"A Child at Prayer" was published by the The Vincent Music Co. Ltd. in 1907 as "No. 123" in the "The Organ Loft Series."

The work features a "child-like" diatonic melody, set against a slightly more chromatic background. The work is without pretense or apology, and speaks of a long-forgotten world, and a simplicity of emotion that would be rare in the world in which we live. (Dave)

Stay tuned!  I am constantly looking for, and finding, more forgotten, different diamonds to see the light of day, to make them known to the forum's listeners.

Allt the best, everyone

Stig

Well done, Stig! Interesting setting of a simple melody with all the chromatic harmony. Thank you for finding this forgotten gem. It does sound very prayer like. Very much of my grandmother's generation. Nostalgic.

I like your registration.

Excellent!

My best,
Robert

Re: A child at prayer W. Filby, One more composer to know (Orgtq 2)

algorhythms wrote:
Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

Genre
Early 20th century

Allt the best, everyone

Stig

Well done, Stig! Interesting setting of a simple melody with all the chromatic harmony. Thank you for finding this forgotten gem. It does sound very prayer like. Very much of my grandmother's generation. Nostalgic.

I like your registration.

Excellent!

My best,
Robert

Robert, you have my deepest thanks. I appreciate your taking the time to listen.

My best,

Stig