Topic: Organteq SYSEX

SYSEX stands for System Exclusive and Organteq will respond to this from an external source...

For my experiments I used Bome MIDI Translator Pro

What have I discovered?

Take this simple HEXIDECIMAL string:

F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 01 02 00 7F F7

F0 denotes the start of a SYSEX string and is important
F7 demotes the end and is equally important

0B 7D 73 39 01 Specifically tells Organteq to respond to what follows...

01 02 00 7F is what follows and this is where I will focus my attention / comments...

===============================================================================================

First things first

The keyboards / Pedal board are numbered thus: Pedal 0, Positif 1, Grand Organe 2, Recit 3

The keyboard section is addressed as follows:

... 01

next comes the actual keyboard (Grand Organ 2)

... 01 02

next comes the stop (0-9 for first-last 10 in total)

... 01 02 00

next comes what to do with it either turn it ON (127) or OFF (0)

... 01 02 00 7F

===============================================================================================

Let's put that together:

F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 01 02 00 7F F7

This tells Organteq to draw the first stop for the Grand Organe keyboard

From this you should be able to draw / push any voiced stop you require...

what does: F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 01 00 01 7F F7 do ???

Re: Organteq SYSEX

We've already looked at the keyboard section ... 01

Here are some other sections

... 00 -
... 02 - Couplers
... 03 - Combinations
... 04 - Crescendo
... 05 - Swell
... 06 -
... 07 -
... 08 - Tutti
... 09 - General cancel
... 0A - Next / Previous Combination
... 0B - specific Combination Bank select
... 0C - Next / Previous Combination Bank
... 0D - Next / Previous Tenth Combination Bank
... 0E - Tremulants
... 0F -

Couplers

... 02

Followed by coupler (0-5 for first on left to last on right 6 in total)

... 02 00

Followed by ON (127) or OFF (0)

... 02 00 7F

Followed by zero data as all these SYSEX strings are the same length (11 Hexidecimal characters)

... 02 00 7F 00

Let's put that together:

F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 02 00 7F 00 F7

This tells Organteq to engage the first coupler (Pos./Ped.)

Combinations

... 03

Followed by combination (0-9 for first on left to last on right 10 in total)

... 03 03

Followed by ON (127) any other value (0-126) is taken as ON

... 03 03 7F

Followed by zero data as all these SYSEX strings are the same length (11 Hexidecimal characters)

... 03 03 7F 00

Let's put that together:

F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 03 03 7F 00 F7

This tells Organteq to engage the forth combination piston

Crescendo (Pedal)

... 04

Followed by value (0-127) as follows: 0-10; 11-21; 22-31; 32-42; 43-52; 53-63; 64-74; 75-84; 85-95; 96-105; 106-116; 117-127 (12-step programme)

... 04 00

... 04 00 00

... 04 00 00 00

Let's put that together:

F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 04 00 00 00 F7

This tells Organteq to move the Crescendo pedal to OFF

Swell

I wouldn't recommend using SYSEX to control the Swell pedal - but you can set it to a value at the start of your piece for effect if you so choose.

... 05

Followed by value (0-127) as follows 0 is OFF and 127 is fully ON

... 05 7F

... 05 7F 00

... 05 7F 00 00

Let's put that together:

F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 05 7F 00 00 F7

This tells Organteq to set the Swell pedal at full volume

Tutti

... 08

There are only two possible strings for this:

Tutti ON
F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 08 7F 00 00 F7

Tutti OFF
F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 08 00 00 00 F7

Cancel

... 09

There is only one possible string for this:

General Cancel
F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 09 00 00 00 F7

Next Previous Combination

... 0A

This will spill over from Combination Bank to the next or previous and there are only two possible strings for this:

Next Combination
F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 0A 7F 00 00 F7

Previous Combination
F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 0A 00 00 00 F7

Go to Specific Combination Bank

... 0B

Followed by bank number (0-99) - 0 gives "-" any number higher than 99 results in "..."

... OB 02

... 0B 02 00

... 0B 02 00 00

Let's put that together:

F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 0B 02 00 00 F7

This tells Organteq to goto bank 2

Next Previous Combination Bank

... 0C

This doesn't cycle just moves between 0 ("-") and 100 ("...")

Next Combination Bank
F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 0C 7F 00 00 F7

Previous Combination Bank
F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 0C 00 00 00 F7

Next Previous Tenth Combination Bank

... 0D

Next Combination Bank
F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 0D 7F 00 00 F7

Previous Combination Bank
F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 0D 00 00 00 F7

Tremulants

... 0E

Followed by Keyboard (0-3 - Pedal 0, Positif 1, Grand Organe 2, Recit 3)

... 0E 02

Followed by status either ON (127) or OFF (0)

... 0E 02 7F

... 0E 02 7F 00

Let's put that together:

F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 0E 02 7F 00 F7

This tells Organteq to engage the Tremulant on the Grand Organe keyboard

It's not clear to me the purpose of this post. Besides that you probably wanted to send it to the other forum at https://forum.modartt.com/viewforum.php?id=45 what is unclear (to me) is if you are talking about a description of what happens for others to take advantage of it, a bug, a feature request.... it sounds a bit cryptic. I mean, I do understand that you are unwinding the MIDI packages, and I do understand SYSEX (which I have constructed myself for my own hw and sw experiments) but as a non-organteq user it's not clear why are you doing so.

The first thing come up to my mind is I can connect my iPad (score reader) to send SysEx to my Mac (Organteq) for any control when I am playing as a vistual organ. It helps to program sequencer and DAW.

dv wrote:

It's not clear to me the purpose of this post. Besides that you probably wanted to send it to the other forum at https://forum.modartt.com/viewforum.php?id=45 what is unclear (to me) is if you are talking about a description of what happens for others to take advantage of it, a bug, a feature request.... it sounds a bit cryptic. I mean, I do understand that you are unwinding the MIDI packages, and I do understand SYSEX (which I have constructed myself for my own hw and sw experiments) but as a non-organteq user it's not clear why are you doing so.

DEZ wrote:

Tremulants
F0 0B 7D 73 39 01 0E 02 7F 00 F7

This tells Organteq to engage the Tremulant on the Grand Organe keyboard

Thanks for starting this thread with these quite useful informations.

What software are you using to send this Sysex ? For example, when using REAPER, I generally write a small JSFX plug-in to send commands (in this case, that would be sysex messages) to the VSTi which is on the same track.
If you are using the stand alone Organteq application, do you have a specific tool do do so ?

Thanks.

Jack.

Edit: I missed the "Bome MIDI Translator Pro" line. Now, I know !

Last edited by Jack461 (29-11-2022 10:51)

Jack461 wrote:

What software are you using to send this Sysex ?

Hi Jack,

You can also use MIDI-OX too. I'm sure it will run on Windows 10 or your DAW should send SYSEX quite happily.

Thanks for the comments,

DEZ

Thank you DEZ for your research and this very helpful table of functions.  In answer to the query about the point of all this, I can explain how it is particularly helpful to me. 

For my midi input, I've connected Organteq to an old electronic organ of 1990's vintage with a VERY primitive midi implementation.  Literally only the keyboard and pedals transmit midi.  Not the expression pedals, nor the stops.  That means to operate the stops and other features in organteq I can only use the computer mouse, because all the available midi outputs are spoken for, just in order to play the thing!   Using a mouse during performance is clearly not practical.  But quickly hitting a computer keyboard shortcut would work.  And that's where anyone in my position would hit a brick wall - because organteq currently only implements a limited range of computer keyboard shortcuts with no scope to add more.  Even just a combination stepper shortcut would be useful, but no joy.

However as DEZ has demonstrated and documented, most elements can be controlled by midi signals, if not by direct computer keyboard shortcuts.  Fortunately I already have a paid version of Bome Midi Translator Pro which is a superb midi tool in my opinion, highly recommended.  Thus, for example, I can disable all native keyboard shortcuts in Organteq to prevent accidental duplication.  Then, through Bome, I can have function keys F1 to F10 operate combination buttons 1-10.  These and many other tweaks make it possible to play organteq realistically even using primitive midi equipment.

I hope this comment is useful.

Controlling OrganTeq using the QWERTY Keyboard

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xulg9djqqi0nrmb/BomeTranslatorOrganTeq.png?raw=1

Using Bome MIDI Translator Pro, I mapped the controls I thought I might want to use during a recording on the keyboard:

CANCELS

• General Cancel + Swell Full ON

• All Pedal Stops OFF

• All Positif Stops OFF

• All Grand Org Stops OFF

• All REcit Strops OFF

• All Couplers OFF

COMBINATIONS

• Combo 01 - 10 ON (separate keys)

• NEXT Combo

• PREV Combo

• NEXT Combo BANK

• PREV Combo BANK

RECIT STOPS

• Pistons 01-10 ON (separate keys)

• Pistons 01-10 OFF (separate keys)

• Tremolo ON

• Tremolo OFF

GRAND ORG STOPS

• Tremolo ON

• Tremolo OFF

POSITIF STOPS

• Tremolo ON

• Tremolo OFF

PEDAL STOPS

• Tremolo ON

• Tremolo OFF

COUPLERS

• Couplers 01-06 ON (separate keys)

• Couplers 01-06 OFF (separate keys)

CRESCENDO PEDAL

• Cres. Pos OFF - ON (12 steps separate keys)

Then I opened up CbB and quickly discovered that SYSEX is not passed to the virtual instrument - although it is recorded and any exported MIDI file will respond as expected.

As CbB is about to be 'upgraded' and 'priced' I thought it was time to start learning Cubase 12 Pro which I picked up as a cross-grade from my old SONAR PLATINUM and guess what... it will pass SYSEX to the plugin and the plugin will respond in real time!

Just thought I'd share that...

If you want the Bome Project file for your own use - let me know and I'll link it via Dropbox here.

You can now control and play organteq directly from the midi output of the latest version of eplayOrgan. This organ is available from

https://midimusic.github.io

It is completely free to download and to use. You will need a virtual midi cable (such as LoopBe) to connect the midi output of eplayOrgan to the midi input of organteq.

In addition to all of the other organs, eplayOrgan now has an organteq organ which you can play and/or use to translate any of the many hundreds of organ midi files also on this site. Details of how to do the translations are on the site.

csw900

SysEx on OrganTeq II is much the same - perhaps Modartt will add a section to the User Manual for those that need / want it.

Happy playing everyone !

DEZ wrote:

SysEx on OrganTeq II is much the same

Here is a list of the Sysex commands including the new version 2 controllers.
It is not an official list, but the results of my own research. Corrections/additions are welcome!

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nrla1jgk...nteq2.xlsx