Topic: Organteq 2 is HERE!!!!

Are we there yet? Yes, we are!!!

Never has self-enforced, nail-biting patience yielded such a Cornucopia of stimulating pleasures. It definitely makes the unaccustomed stress, over the past two years, of being good, in anticipation of the new release, well worth the effort. As they say, virtue is its own reward and Modartt have delivered in spades.

Fortunately, the weather forecast for the next few days is particularly dank, drear and dismal as I have every intention of spending hours with my head under the bonnet of the new Baroque Organ tootling away to my hearts content.

Thank you, Mordartt, in advance of my pleasures to come.

Are we there yet? Yes we are!!!

Michael

Last edited by mprimrose (27-09-2023 12:38)
Pianoteq 8 Studio plus all Instrument packs; Organteq 2; Debian; Reaper; Carla

Re: Organteq 2 is HERE!!!!

Just downloaded it and tried it. Fabulous! A big improvement over version 1 in my humble opinion.

Full disclosure, I'm a classical pianist and got Organteq earlier this year on a whim. I play some of my JSB repertoire on it for giggles.

Question for anyone who can help. I'm using a single 88 key controller (Kawai NV10S) and it sounds great in the single keyboard mode. It would be nice to put my three pedals to use. Is there some way I can hook them up in Organteq to do something interesting?

jonfrommaine wrote:

Just downloaded it and tried it. Fabulous! A big improvement over version 1 in my humble opinion.

Full disclosure, I'm a classical pianist and got Organteq earlier this year on a whim. I play some of my JSB repertoire on it for giggles.

Question for anyone who can help. I'm using a single 88 key controller (Kawai NV10S) and it sounds great in the single keyboard mode. It would be nice to put my three pedals to use. Is there some way I can hook them up in Organteq to do something interesting?

I'd probably try using them as combination switches to move forward and backward through the organ registration, or you could also use them as coupler or piston toggles.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

tmyoung wrote:

I'd probably try using them as combination switches to move forward and backward through the organ registration, or you could also use them as coupler or piston toggles.

Progressing through the presets for every damper pedal press would be useful. I looked at the combo settings screen but couldn’t see how to link the pedal to the presets.

jonfrommaine wrote:
tmyoung wrote:

Progressing through the presets for every damper pedal press would be useful. I looked at the combo settings screen but couldn’t see how to link the pedal to the presets.

You can manually select the “Next Preset” command in the "Action Mapping" tab (MIDI mappings window) and assign it to the dumper pedal.
It makes sense to limit the value range of the pedal so that it only triggers in one direction.
In this case you should also pin or freeze the current MIDI mappings, otherwise the command will be lost when switching to the next preset.

Last edited by Pat (29-09-2023 15:01)

jonfrommaine wrote:

Controlling Organteq using MIDI events transmitted by external hardware is done using Organteq's MIDI mappings--
Window-menu --> MIDI mappings --> Action mapping tab
Use the "Insert" button to add a new item to the list of mappings. It will initially have the word "invalid" in its left column (but see note at the bottom of this post). Click and change that to the MIDI event you want to trigger an action in Organteq (to identify a particular MIDI event, press a pedal or push a button or turn a control on the MIDI keyboard, so that it appears in the "latest MIDI messages received" list in the top portion of the Action-mapping pane of the MIDI mappings window), and click the various areas of the new MIDI mapping entry you have just created, to choose items from the drop-down menu that appears or edit parameter values in the various editable text fields of your new MIDI mapping entry.

MIDI mapping is a very comprehensive and flexible way to customize Organteq's behavior using external MIDI keyboards and other MIDI hardware. Be sure to save your custom MIDI mapping (using the "Current mapping preset" dropdown menu at upper right in the MIDI mappings window).

Note: if one of the entries in the MIDI mapping list is already selected (highlighted in medium-gray), clicking the "Insert" button will insert a copy of that entry, which you can edit and change to your liking, rather than adding a new entry labeled "invalid" (which simply means not yet edited and configured by the user).

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (30-09-2023 03:22)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Thanks for the detailed response Stephen. I now see why I couldn't figure it out.
I'm running all my plugins under Cantabile 3 Performer. The Window (File/Edit/Window/Help at top) menu appears to only be visible when running the standalone version of Organteq. I've hunted around the options when running it as an embedded plugin but can't seem to find any way to get at the MIDI mappings.

jonfrommaine wrote:

I'm running all my plugins under Cantabile 3 Performer. The Window (File/Edit/Window/Help at top) menu appears to only be visible when running the standalone version of Organteq. I've hunted around the options when running it as an embedded plugin but can't seem to find any way to get at the MIDI mappings.

Click this button in the upper middle of the main Organteq window.
Nearly everything available in the menus is also accessible from the non-menu portion of the main Organteq window/interface.

https://i.imgur.com/MTqljlp.png

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (29-09-2023 17:47)
--

Perfect! Thanks Stephen!!

I finally had time to try this. Works great! I have the left pedal (Controller 64) set to previous preset and the right pedal (controller 67) set to next preset. I couldn't understand why it kept changing until I reread Pat's hint about saving MIDI settings. I've owned Pianoteq Studio for years and have never tried any of this. Very cool. I also tried volume but it seemed a little weird and preset changing is a lot more useful (of course I still have that middle pedal available...).
Thanks again. This is a great forum for getting useful and detailed information.

jonfrommaine wrote:

I finally had time to try this. Works great! I have the left pedal (Controller 64) set to previous preset and the right pedal (controller 67) set to next preset.

Or "Set parameter --> Combination --> Next combination" (or Previous combination)

--

mprimrose wrote:

Are we there yet? Yes, we are!!!

Are we there yet? Yes we are!!!

Michael

Absolutely.
Modartt just made Bach smile. Me too.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Hello all
At last 2.0 is here, and the new features are awesome, notably the new pipes and the possibility to customize their sounds (I love the chiff adjustment for the flutes).
Would love to be able to adjust the buttons colors, sizes, and texts to make the interface clearer !
Enjoy !

ycuttat wrote:

Would love to be able to adjust the buttons colors, sizes, and texts to make the interface clearer !

ycuttat,

I found that I was having much the same problem as yourself. When faced with fully populated German Baroque organ with up to  50 different stops, which were only identified with minute cryptic abbreviations, I was having difficulty identifying what was where.

A combination of increasing age and the necessity for reading glasses does make this a common problem with working on the Web. The default font size for my screen is definitely getting larger with the passing years ... sigh.

Unfortunately the interface magnification for Organteq, which makes the stops easily readable, also means that the application interface is too big for my monitor. That, of course, has its own associated issues.

So I thought I would try out the interface that lewisalexander2020 has been so successfully championing, i.e. the Jamb Interface. I found that if I use the Double Jamb Interface then I can drag each of the interfaces onto another Workspace, away from the main application interface. The stops are now perfectly readable, as well as being in their relevant console colours, and are thus easily selected and configured as required. I can then shift back to the Workspace with the main application interface and work on that as required.

This may seem to be a rather trivial utilisation of an important and worthwhile enhancement to Organteq. However I must admit that using the Double Jamb Interface means that I have resolved a longstanding UI issue, and it also means that I can work far faster than I did before and with less visual strain.

I hope that this helps to resolve your problem and makes enjoying Organteq 2 far less stressful

Michael

Pianoteq 8 Studio plus all Instrument packs; Organteq 2; Debian; Reaper; Carla

mprimrose wrote:
ycuttat wrote:

ycuttat,

I found that I was having much the same problem as yourself. When faced with fully populated German Baroque organ with up to  50 different stops, which were only identified with minute cryptic abbreviations, I was having difficulty identifying what was where.

A combination of increasing age and the necessity for reading glasses does make this a common problem with working on the Web. The default font size for my screen is definitely getting larger with the passing years ... sigh.

Unfortunately the interface magnification for Organteq, which makes the stops easily readable, also means that the application interface is too big for my monitor. That, of course, has its own associated issues.

So I thought I would try out the interface that lewisalexander2020 has been so successfully championing, i.e. the Jamb Interface. I found that if I use the Double Jamb Interface then I can drag each of the interfaces onto another Workspace, away from the main application interface. The stops are now perfectly readable, as well as being in their relevant console colours, and are thus easily selected and configured as required. I can then shift back to the Workspace with the main application interface and work on that as required.

This may seem to be a rather trivial utilisation of an important and worthwhile enhancement to Organteq. However I must admit that using the Double Jamb Interface means that I have resolved a longstanding UI issue, and it also means that I can work far faster than I did before and with less visual strain.

I hope that this helps to resolve your problem and makes enjoying Organteq 2 far less stressful

Michael

I found that if I use the Double Jamb Interface then I can drag each of the interfaces onto another Workspace, away from the main application interface

Thank you very much for your advice, Michael. I agree double jamb is a good solution already in place in the software, and I will use it. The only drawback is the vertical alignment of the stops, which is less natural, logical than the horizontal alignment on the main console, with the stops on the same horizontal line as the keyboards they refer to...
If Moddart people read this, I would still love to be able to customize the colors, texts, shapes of the stops on the main view.