Topic: The Thoughts Between : Piano and Guitar interweaving

From the excellent feedback on my last shared songs I've now tried to put the piano and guitar on a more equal stage and elevated the guitar to a shared lead rather than support with the piano and guitar often weaving in and out of each other. However, the sound overall may be somewhat different as I added bass and drums in for a laid back vibe (I hope)

All Pianoteq except the drums and some effects.  Piano is Bechstein (recording 2 preset) with some reduction in the velocity curve to soften the piano some.

Here are  a couple of selections (note: the songs in the whole album are intentionally very similar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX2YK3R...mp;index=5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4aY1m...p;index=12

Whole album is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZelfnXt...-5j4OuPIC8

Enjoy!
Ken

Re: The Thoughts Between : Piano and Guitar interweaving

As you say ”the piano and guitar on a more equal stage”, good, it was that I was missing
Bass and drums always nice. Piano is Bechstein (recording 2 preset) but which preset do you use (tweak?) for the guitar?
The songs in the whole album are intentionally very similar, yes, but that’s okay.

You have a good ”foundation”, base, for your musical style now, could you now start adding a completely different sound as an improvising  soloist?  Electric piano, Vibraphone, xylophone etc.   ??  Just a thought

Thank you ken for sharing.

Keep going!

Best wishes,

Stig

i listened to the title track.  very lovely!  i think the balance between the two is perfect!  i like how the voices float gently around.

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

As you say ”the piano and guitar on a more equal stage”, good, it was that I was missing
Bass and drums always nice. Piano is Bechstein (recording 2 preset) but which preset do you use (tweak?) for the guitar?
The songs in the whole album are intentionally very similar, yes, but that’s okay.

You have a good ”foundation”, base, for your musical style now, could you now start adding a completely different sound as an improvising  soloist?  Electric piano, Vibraphone, xylophone etc.   ??  Just a thought

Thank you ken for sharing.

Keep going!

Best wishes,

Stig

Thanks Stig for your feedback!  The guitar was the "Classical Guitar" I didn't do any modification to the preset but there is an extra reverb on the guitar and some processing on the master track. The bass is also using the "Classical Guitar" but I believe I did some mods there and have it feed into an amplifier VST. That said there might be too many artifact for using this guitar as a bass and was trying some other dedicated VST bass guitars but hmm not sure I am happy with them. I have tried working some of the electric piano in at various times but in this arrangement and others I have tried I couldn't get it right.

Thanks again, we will see about completely different sounds, that isn't as easy for me to accomplish.

budo wrote:

i listened to the title track.  very lovely!  i think the balance between the two is perfect!  i like how the voices float gently around.

Thanks for listening Budo and your comments! I'm glad to hear the balance is on target now...whew. Hopefully I won't change it as an experiment and forget to change it back which I have done more than once before.

Yes, well-balanced this time. Both have something dreamy and melancholic (to me). With some delicate vocals, it would be nice

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

Borealis wrote:

Yes, well-balanced this time. Both have something dreamy and melancholic (to me). With some delicate vocals, it would be nice

Thank you Borealis for having a listen and feedback!  I have looked for some vocal VSTs in the past but I wasn't able to get them working well enough but I am sure such won't be too far off.