Topic: Well You Needn't (PIanoteq)

here's one of the most famous and played tunes in the book.  this chart is unfortunately one of the examples people point to when they want to criticize the real book, since it regrettably has multiple mistakes in it.  the biggest flaw is that the bridge is wrong ... basically it's off by a tritone (Db7 instead of G7, etc) although there are other issues too.  i fixed some of the mistakes, left others alone, and then made new ones by changing the harmony in places it's one of my favorite tunes from the book and i've played it since i was a kid.

https://youtu.be/puCq_9daePo

Re: Well You Needn't (PIanoteq)

Hi Budo, so clean and sharp as I can only imagine is the best way to play this. Exceptional performance!!

It’s nice to compare your playing these pieces and when it is one that you say it is your favorite (and even more if played since a kid) that there is a special feeling in them, you handle it  110 %.(my opinion). You always play well but these are special, a true jazz musician - amazing performance and good sound quality. (Can’t get same sound).

”Well you needn’t” - Well, I absolutely need it   To listen to you, budo and Pianoteq! Amazing performance, always. Thank you budo.

And the nice end again, it’s like when my old vinyl record player is worn or dirty, it will cause record repeating…..       I like that your ending!

Best wishes,

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (26-09-2023 13:34)

kencarlino wrote:

Hi Budo, so clean and sharp as I can only imagine is the best way to play this. Exceptional performance!!

thank you so much for your generous comments!  i really appreciate it

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

It’s nice to compare your playing these pieces and when it is one that you say it is your favorite (and even more if played since a kid) that there is a special feeling in them, you handle it  110 %.(my opinion). You always play well but these are special, a true jazz musician - amazing performance and good sound quality. (Can’t get same sound).

”Well you needn’t” - Well, I absolutely need it   To listen to you, budo and Pianoteq! Amazing performance, always. Thank you budo.

And the nice end again, it’s like when my old vinyl record player is worn or dirty, it will cause record repeating…..       I like that your ending!

Best wishes,

Stig

thank you so much for your comments!  indeed i have a special place in my heart for this tune.  it was one of the first Monk tunes that i really got into.  he has so many good ones. 

and regarding the ending, sometimes when you make a mistake you just have to double down!

Great performance, indeed ! Something subtle. I like your "out of step" playing, if you know what I mean ...

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !