Topic: Clair de Lune - Debussy

https://youtu.be/beQAzPRsmb8

Tuning: "Vallotti & Young Scale, A=432"
Preset used: all Pianoteq modern pianos

This is a new version of this recording.

Best Wishes
k.c.Paul

Re: Clair de Lune - Debussy

k c Paul Li wrote:

https://youtu.be/beQAzPRsmb8

Tuning: "Vallotti & Young Scale, A=432"
Preset used: all Pianoteq modern pianos

This is a new version of this recording.

Best Wishes
k.c.Paul

This time there was a lot of listening and comparisons on tone color, changes, voicing quality, voicing of the tone.....I compared all three Reverie, Arabesque and Clair de lune.

Arabesque and Reverie are my favorites. I like the tone of those pianos, the tonal colors they produces are so good! Very well done there!

But there is something wirh Clair de lune…….

First reaction was - too much reverb….   I can’t hear the individual tones, they merge into indistinctness - not sharply outlined or separable in the background after the ”chords”

Examples:  0,16   1,24 - 1,27      1,45    but in slow parts it is ok.   With some changes, I don’t know how, maybe with some changes, this piece of music would surely not be in third place in my list.
Your playing is always excellent. But you know I’m concentrating always on the sound quality.

Btw, You have often a brighter tone color on the melody, upper tones, and the bass have a bit thicker tone color. Could it be, that the bass tone is too thick with the amount of reverb in this piece???

Keep going!

Best wishes,

Stig

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

First reaction was - too much reverb….   I can’t hear the individual tones, they merge into i

Stig

You are right, in this piece, I use the Hall reverb, but in the previous two, I use a medium reverb.
Besides, the timbre is much thicker than the previous two.
That's why you can't hear each voice clearly.

Thank you for your Reminder,it helps.

best wishes,
k.c.Paul

I don't think it's just the reverb, I think pedalling is an issue here too. Even in Debussy, you need to change the pedal when the harmony changes.  The notated length of the bass notes is usually a strong hint as to when you should clear the pedal.