Topic: Where are the temperaments?

Ok great, but I totally expected Organteq to come with the same stellar tuning features as Pianoteq, but sadly it does not?

EDIT: I have calmed down a bit now that I found that some temperaments are there. They were just not mentioned in the manual. Thinking it over, I guess the many pipes and registers and what not makes it difficult to implement the import of arbitrary microtonal scales. At least those that are not repeating at the octave, like Bohlen-Pierce tuning that the organ at the Huygens-Fokker Center in the Netherlands use.

Still, a feature request would be to extend the detuning range to +/- 100 cents like Audiomodeling did across all of their instruments recently. Just having it as an option to be able to extend the range in the preferences would mean a lot to us microtonalists.

Last edited by Literal76 (01-12-2019 16:18)

Re: Where are the temperaments?

Literal76 wrote:

Ok great, but I totally expected Organteq to come with the same stellar tuning features as Pianoteq, but sadly it does not?
Where is Well Temperament?
Where is Werckmeister III?
Where is the Meantone temperament that many organs in Europe had even well into the 20th century?
Where is Valetti & Young?
Do you really expect me to set these important historical temperaments myself with tuning sliders?
And most important of all, where is Scala Import?
I'm not buying this until basic Scala import has been implemented.
Organs are all about tuning, and in the meantime Hauptwerk has this covered.
I'm not waiting three more years until this is fixed.

Click on the Equal button there is a menu for those (no Scala though...)

Same here, I've been eagerly waiting for Organteq and now it has been launched without the features that make Pianoteq so great. In its present stage, it's completely useless for me but I assume tuning functions will be added in future updates - the first versions of Pianoteq didn't have them, either.

Looking forward to
- onboard microtuning and key mapping
- scala import (.tun is a better format but I assume Organteq will use .scl / .kbm as in Pianoteq)
- support of dynamic 16-channel pitchbend tuning
- MTS support
- VST2 and/or VST3 tuning parameter support microtonal playback in Dorico

Pianoteq has all of the above.

Last edited by jakn (02-12-2019 23:57)

I've been using Pianoteq because of how easy it is to re-tune with Kite's alt-tuner using the multichannel pitch modulation.

Since I have no way to demo the software before buying, I am wondering how well the different re-tuning mechanisms work with Organteq. Does anyone here have a clue if there is a method that works? The sysex88 method for example seems to work acceptably well with the EZKeys organ instrument. Organteq sounds incredible though and I would really love to use it in my recordings.

Edit: I found that there is a demo, and was able to play with it. None of the re-tuning methods seem to work. This product is unfortunately useless to me.

Last edited by Farac (17-05-2020 06:47)

My understanding is that they're working on pipe-based microtuning and voicing for an upcoming version--as soon as they can get it to be stable.  Unlike pianoteq where there are a limited of strings to emulate, the engine appears to require a lot more cpu to be able to achieve per pipe control on the user side, which is what they're currently trying to optimize.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

tmyoung wrote:

My understanding is that they're working on pipe-based microtuning and voicing for an upcoming version--as soon as they can get it to be stable.  Unlike pianoteq where there are a limited of strings to emulate, the engine appears to require a lot more cpu to be able to achieve per pipe control on the user side, which is what they're currently trying to optimize.

If this somehow enabled arbitrary tunings such as 22 Equal Temperament, I would be very happy.

Last edited by Farac (06-09-2020 18:59)

Organteq 1.5 is out. Huge disappointment - no improvement in microtuning. User scales and tuning scripts still not supported.

Congrats to Modartt for getting v1.5 out but I share the disappointment -- Organteq will be very exciting when microtunings are available but until then it's not usable (for me). Would be great to hear on this thread from someone who can give us an idea of where it is on the roadmap.

Last edited by helveticat (29-10-2020 23:13)

I have been considering buying OrganTeq for a while, but reading about the lack of microtuning support, including Scala import, is a showstopper. Hopefully, the developers are aware that this is quite an important feature for many potential users.

Literal76 wrote:

Did this concern from 2019 ever get resolved?  More specifically, did Modartt add to Organteq the ability to support pretty much any microtuning, such as from Scala?

Did this concern from 2019 ever get resolved?  More specifically, did Modartt add to Organteq the ability to support pretty much any microtuning, such as from Scala?

Best I can see from the latest manual on-line, Modartt has not added this capability, but admittedly, I've only skimmed over it...

I probably would not buy it unless it can do, at a minimum, any equal number of steps per octave, various forms of 12-tone JI and Meantone, and non-octave equal-temperaments like 88CET or Carlos Alpha.

Version 2: no support of microtuning. Not buying Organteq, and will stop waiting for the microtonal support and start looking at other alternatives.