Topic: Brahms: 6 Piano Pieces, Op. 118 - II. Intermezzo. Andante teneramente

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GJnH90ZST0

Re: Brahms: 6 Piano Pieces, Op. 118 - II. Intermezzo. Andante teneramente

As touching as always

I like this performance. The tempo is perfect, there are so many fantastic sections in your playing, for example 4,24 - about 4,53, the passion in many places… Your playing captures many moods…this piece is deep. Can’t find enough good words but  there is humanity in this interpretation. And a wonderful ending.  -  I held my breath when I saw how slowly you left the keys, what an perfect ending to the feeling.
Thank you, paulvanbladel.

Best wishes,

Stig

Beautiful!  I lost count in there but my favorite was the piece around 3:30. very well done!

Ken

Dear Stig,
Thank you so much you taking the time to write your sensitive comment.
Indeed, the opus 118 is of the most beautiful pages in piano literature. Brahms is a very complex composer, a lot happens under the hood, it all sounds quite classic and simple, but it full of modal episodes and pretty sophisticated harmonic material. I think that makes him so great: simplicity at first sight, but a lot the discover under the hood. Today we would say: "Progressive disclosure".

I studied the piece the first time when i was 15 or so and probably played it like a refrigerator.
Things evolved after all these years
All the best !
paul.

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

As touching as always

I like this performance. The tempo is perfect, there are so many fantastic sections in your playing, for example 4,24 - about 4,53, the passion in many places… Your playing captures many moods…this piece is deep. Can’t find enough good words but  there is humanity in this interpretation. And a wonderful ending.  -  I held my breath when I saw how slowly you left the keys, what an perfect ending to the feeling.
Thank you, paulvanbladel.

Best wishes,

Stig

Thank you for letting me know, you enjoyed listening.

kencarlino wrote:

Beautiful!  I lost count in there but my favorite was the piece around 3:30. very well done!

Ken