Topic: Freedom Jazz Dance (Pianoteq)

here's a great tune by Eddie Harris, "Freedom Jazz Dance."  it's one of my favorite tunes in the book so unfortunately i got a bit out of hand i've actually never heard him play it, i only know the famous recording on Miles Smiles.

https://youtu.be/XjHzDaS2o-Q

Re: Freedom Jazz Dance (Pianoteq)

Definitely could feel that you were enjoying this and speaking of groves you dug into a really nice grove there starting around 1 min. Great job!

Great playing! Like the sections 1,47 - 2,05 and 3,23 - 3,40. Wonderful playing.   And your endings are always nice surprises.I like this one too.

Best wishes,

Stig

It has a kind of Button up, a bit, (the version played by Hancock and Corea in 78). I'm sure you know which part I have in mind. Slower, sure, but the atmosphere reminds me of the piece. Very Nice.

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

kencarlino wrote:

Definitely could feel that you were enjoying this and speaking of groves you dug into a really nice grove there starting around 1 min. Great job!

thank you, i really appreciate it!  thanks for the comment about the groove.  it's such a fun tune to play!

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

Great playing! Like the sections 1,47 - 2,05 and 3,23 - 3,40. Wonderful playing.   And your endings are always nice surprises.I like this one too.

Best wishes,

Stig

thank you so much!  i listened to the segments you mentioned.  things were definitely getting weird in the 2nd one.  and i'm glad you liked the ending.  i got to use the lowest Bb on the keyboard, doesn't happen everyday

Borealis wrote:

It has a kind of Button up, a bit, (the version played by Hancock and Corea in 78). I'm sure you know which part I have in mind. Slower, sure, but the atmosphere reminds me of the piece. Very Nice.

thank you for that!  i hadn't heard that tune in a long time so i checked it out.  there is some seriously funky playing on that track.  i see what you mean, there is a certain similar atmosphere to the two recordings.  some passages almost sound like sped-up Eddie Harris lines.  very cool to point that out!