Topic: E Grieg Peer Gynt - Suite No.1 Op. 46 Aase's Death

E Grieg Peer Gynt - Suite No.1 Op. 46  Aase's Death

It is about Peer Gynt coming down from the mountain just in time before his mother Aase dies.
This wonderful masterpiece puts sadness and grief in to sound. You don't  have to know what it is about to understand the emotion in it. 
Grieg was a genius when it came to emotions.
Anyway,
this is how I remember it from the 80’s, how I told the pupils, when we listened to Ase’s death:
Ase/ Åse is Peer's mother. He had not met her for a long time due to various reasons, so he decided to meet her. It was at the last moment. When he comes to her she lies in his bed and is dying. He talks to her and is very sad. She, who had fought so hard for him and had many sorrows for his sake, had now finished living and he could not do anything for her. She dies.

After this, Peer went to Africa (Morning mood, Anitra’s dance,  as I have been telling about in those uploads here).

Ase’s death

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...ieg%20.mp3

I love Organteq!   

Best, 

Stig

Re: E Grieg Peer Gynt - Suite No.1 Op. 46 Aase's Death

very beautiful piece, i had not heard it before.  works very well on organ.  very emotional and moving.  i should really learn more about his music.

budo wrote:

i should really learn more about his music.

Well, Peer Gynt, Op. 23, is the incidental music to Henrik Ibsen's 1867 play of the same name, written by the Norwegian composer Edvard Grieg in 1875.
The original score contains 26 movements.
Grieg extracted eight movements to make two four-movement suites. The Peer Gynt suites are among his best-known works

The songs I have played are: In the Hall of the Mountain King, Solveig's Song, The Death of Åse,  Morning Mood, Arabian Dance and  Anitra's Dance.
If you don’t have heard Solveig’s song, it is here:

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...ieg%20.mp3

Swedish Robert Wells  playing boogie on Anitras dance

https://youtu.be/evE3YN4BAN4

Duke Ellington Orchestra played many pieces of Grieg (youtube)

The Who ”The who sell out”   nr 20 is a rock version on Hall ofMountain King

https://youtu.be/DwbYo8gbD4M?list=PL6C9F2BAE9FA0EE04

And many many other people/orchestra's playing these pieces......

Best,

Stig

thanks for all the tips about this music.  the boogie rendition was excellent, actually i should check Robert Well out more (wasn't familiar with him).  and sadly i had forgotten about the Who's version of Hall of the Mountain King, even though i had that album as a teenager

Music has such an incredible ability to convey emotions, and Grieg truly was a master at capturing those feelings. It's amazing how you're able to feel the sadness and grief in the music even without knowing the backstory.

JerryUStall wrote:

Hey, thanks for sharing your thoughts on Grieg's Peer Gynt - Aase's Death!

Welcome to the forum JerryUStall

Thank you for reading descriptions and listening to my playing. I hope you can find more interesting music among my 500 recordings, growing.

Best wishes,

Stig

RogerTrock wrote:

Music has such an incredible ability to convey emotions, and Grieg truly was a master at capturing those feelings. It's amazing how you're able to feel the sadness and grief in the music even without knowing the backstory.

Hello RogerTrock, and welcome to the forum

You are so right, ”Music has such an incredible ability to convey emotion”

Within the factors affecting emotional expression in music, tempo is typically regarded as the most important, but a number of other factors, such as mode, loudness, and melody, also influence the emotional valence of the piece. Fast tempo: excitement, anger. Slow tempo: sadness, serenity.

Thanks for listening to my music, here I have over 500 pieces of very different kind, growing. I hope you can find more music that interest you. Every comment is appreciated.

Best wishes,

Stig

RogerTrock wrote:

Your explanation of the scene with Aase and Peer Gynt's emotions really adds depth to the piece. By the way, have you ever heard about Hutton Monument Co? It sounds intriguing. Keep enjoying and sharing the beauty of music!