Topic: Modartt video contest 2022 - vote here

Modartt video contest 2022 - time to vote

Thank you everyone who participated in the video contest!

It is now time to start watching and voting.

Like in previous contests, there were many amazing entries and the jury had a tough job narrowing down their selection.

We have compiled 12 entries with the most votes from the jury. They are shown in no particular order.

A reminder of the voting rules:

• Voting is open to everybody.

• You can vote for 3 entries, in no particular order.

• Attempts to vote several times will disqualify the vote.

• The public votes and the jury votes are merged together with the same importance given to the jury and the public.

• Voting ends on January 28th.

• The winners will be announced on January 31st.

Vote here

Re: Modartt video contest 2022 - vote here

What are the criteria for voting? How well the video represents Pianoteq / Organteq? How much I like the music? How well played, technically? Or do we get to decide ourselves what the criteria is, one or more of the above, a mixture of all that I have mentioned, or anything else?

PS Greetings from Mellan-Skåne!

Voters are completely free to decide their criteria for selection. It can be as simple as 'which one did I enjoy the most', or something more complex and rigorous, as you wish!

dazric wrote:

Voters are completely free to decide their criteria for selection. It can be as simple as 'which one did I enjoy the most', or something more complex and rigorous, as you wish!

You can vote tactically, as per the Eurovision song contest if you like!

My personal rules for votting:

-I tend to avoid videos that's just a automatic music sheet playing pianoteq. From my point of view it should be forbidden.
In a similar way, but less radical, I prefer performances showing the performer playing than just a MIDI  file playing pianoteq.

-I like and prefer good sound quality, for both, overal sound quality itself and pianoteq settings.
If setting get bad it can move away possible buyers and damage pianoteq's image. For example bad hammer setting or compressed dynamic making pianoteq sound synthetic. Classic music with compressed dynamics (compressed key velocity or compressed sound) get terrible.

- Less is more!!! A junk of many instruments together must sound pleasant, not a "race of instruments". Some few people junk a lot of tracks together, to try impress, and forget that.

-Pianoteq must shine. If the video will have other instruments together, pianoteq must rule. If other instruments plays longer or louder than pianoteq, it's a negative point for me.

-The video need to have nice look. Simple can be nice, and sometimes complex things made in a hurry can be boring or even uggly. The same for narration, if present: Direct and short as possible.

-I use to write a list of the 15 to 20 videos I liked the most, or just excluding the ones I didn't liked, and carefully re-watch those pre- sellection, before decide the ones for my final vote.

-Creativity can always be interesting, but sometimes deserves more time to see the purpose. So, unusual, singular videos, deserve some special attention.

Last edited by Beto-Music (14-01-2023 22:34)

I agree with you about running a MIDI file from somebody else, or computer generated, through the software. I wanted to participate, but didn't get any real playing or piece ready in time, and just playing a MIDI from the web, was not what I wanted to do. It is kind of cheating, although this is not a contest in piano skills (should maybe also be that).

I have been thinking this way  (which we had 2015):

Videos should be evaluated on the originality of the composition and/or the originality of the sound and/or the quality of the performance, with no specific priority between these three aspects. But, I can’t…..

However we do, we have at least as much difficulty as the jury, so I agree with dazric here in this thread

Best wishes,

Stig

Niclas Fogwall wrote:

Modartt video contest 2022 - time to vote

Thank you everyone who participated in the video contest!

It is now time to start watching and voting.

Like in previous contests, there were many amazing entries and the jury had a tough job narrowing down their selection.

We have compiled 12 entries with the most votes from the jury. They are shown in no particular order.

A reminder of the voting rules:

• Voting is open to everybody.

• You can vote for 3 entries, in no particular order.

• Attempts to vote several times will disqualify the vote.

• The public votes and the jury votes are merged together with the same importance given to the jury and the public.

• Voting ends on January 28th.

• The winners will be announced on January 31st.

Vote here

Wonderful! Next year I hope to be ready to submit an entry. I already know which piece I want to play!

Thank you Niclas and the rest of the Modartt team for hosting this competition! It was a great reason to experiment more with Pianoteq 8 and learn a little bit about how to use my phone and computer to record performances. Wasn’t something I had ever tried before, but had been curious to learn about. I had a lot of fun with this. Best of luck to everyone!

All the films nominated for voting are interesting. Some play professionally, others with heart. It's hard to choose the best three of them.

Thank you Modartt.

It's sad that some very nice performances was damaged by tiny technical details :

AKM did a great performance, but he recorded with low volume and the noise of plastic keys get very loud (in relation to main volume), resulting in noises sounding like "roaches playing cards" or clapping.

Even more sad the fact the only woman in the contest did a great skilled classic performance, but forgot to add the name Pianoteq 8 visible in the video, and was eliminated from the contest.
By the way, we need to find a way to bring more women to this forum.

I hope they don't quit and try again in the next contest.

Last edited by Beto-Music (16-01-2023 17:49)

Beto-Music wrote:

Even more sad the fact the only woman in the contest did a great skilled classic performance, but forgot to add the name Pianoteq 8 visible in the video, and was eliminated from the contest.

Whimsically Macabre has a fantastic entry!

Last edited by navindra (16-01-2023 21:19)

Just to make sure I'm not misinterpreting anything, the rules say that we can vote for 3 entries, in no particular order. Does that mean we can't vote for which contribution we feel is the absolute best, which is the second best, and which entry we feel is the third best? The three I vote for, will they all have equal value, will all three entries get one vote each, when the votes will be summed up, and weighed against the decisions of the Modartt jury?

TheodorN wrote:

Just to make sure I'm not misinterpreting anything, the rules say that we can vote for 3 entries, in no particular order. Does that mean we can't vote for which contribution we feel is the absolute best, which is the second best, and which entry we feel is the third best? The three I vote for, will they all have equal value, will all three entries get one vote each, when the votes will be summed up, and weighed against the decisions of the Modartt jury?

vote for 3 entries in no particular order - yes all 3 get one vote each. we can't vote for which is best and second.....

Best,

Stig

navindra wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

Yes, she does! Super creative use of tuning and polyrhythms. I thought Ellen's Military Polonaise performance was wonderful, too!

I watched and liked her video of microtones, and also Miiindbullets video about pianoteq effects. But didn't noticed her personal name, just forum user nickname.
Stacy, sorry my mistake.  Your Lumatone looks cool, remind Star Trek 80's style console.

navindra wrote:

I wonder about split the contest (future ones) in two or 3 categories, one would being for classical performances.
I wonder if a pianoteq video could sound as dynamic and rich as this perfect Lugansky interpretation of Moonlight Sonata.

https://youtu.be/RNKDutMYllI

He added a lot of incredible tiny micro variations for tempo and speed, in a wonderfull emotion way (despete hinself looks so brain serious and rational) that turn the third moviment almost a new experience.
The quality of this recording was also great.

Last edited by Beto-Music (17-01-2023 13:37)