Topic: Roland FP-10

Velocity = [0, 1, 18, 32, 50, 108, 127; 0, 0, 30, 57, 84, 127, 127]

Re: Roland FP-10

Canon_D wrote:

Which internal touch mode of fp-10 is your velocity curve good for? The default one (which is the "medium" or sensitivity 47 as in the Piano Designer app)?

I have been using my fp-10 with Pianoteq for a year now and found an internal touch sensitivity of 20 (with no adjustments to the default velocity curve on Pianoteq) to be the most realistic setting.

For everyone's reference, internal touch modes of fp-10 are as follows:
10="very light"
30="light"
47="medium"
70="heavy"
90="very heavy"

Last edited by had_mod_for (29-11-2022 03:43)

had_mod_for wrote:
Canon_D wrote:

Which internal touch mode of fp-10 is your velocity curve good for? The default one (which is the "medium" or sensitivity 47 as in the Piano Designer app)?

I have been using my fp-10 with Pianoteq for a year now and found an internal touch sensitivity of 20 (with no adjustments to the default velocity curve on Pianoteq) to be the most realistic setting.

For everyone's reference, internal touch modes of fp-10 are as follows:
10="very light"
30="light"
47="medium"
70="heavy"
90="very heavy"

How did you manage to connect the app to FP-10? I have FP-30, and the app says it isn't supported. Both are missing from the supported devices list of the app in Playstore. Anyways, I now wonder whether your approach to setting it up is what I was looking for.

What I've seen so far is most available presets for FP-10 and FP-30 tend to set it similar to the default "Slow keyboard" preset that comes prepackaged in PTQ. Also I got the same kind of preset with calibration wizard in PTQ. But I wonder if it's in fact the one that ensure the touch sensitivity will match a typical decent real acoustic piano? What I've noted is that it's VERY hard for me to extract quiet sounds with it, just can't do it in a reliable manner. It's much easier with the default PTQ curve

What do you mean by "the most realistic setting", btw?

Last edited by AlexS (08-12-2022 12:48)

AlexS, don't listen to those specifications! Do install Piano Designer and fortunately it does connect eventually to our models.

About realistic piano feel, I don't believe in taking such a thing as "decent acoustic piano" as reference. My idea of "realistic" piano is one that gives me a felt-y mellow sound when I play slow and a bang-y metallic feel when I play hard, with a rather smooth transition in between. Now for fp-10 I find that the "slow keyboard" preset on Pianoteq is not realistic, because on the soft side the curve is too high up and, as you pointed out, one would lose that magical piano feeling in the soft region. The curve that Canon_D suggests is good in the soft and hard region, but under my fingers it feels like there is a sudden gap and the transition in between does not occur smoothly (I tested it with the internal "medium" setting).

In fact, any curved shape we put for velocity in Pianoteq changes the internal (presumably, designer calibrated) touch of the keyboard in an essential way. So I would always use a straight velocity line. Sometimes (while on internal touch of "20") I may just horizontally slide the velocity point (0,0) slightly to the right or (127,127) slightly to the left, depending on the music and taste at the moment.

Last edited by had_mod_for (09-12-2022 01:03)